Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Knicks reportedly interested in drafting Ntilikina, Monk

Time to prep for draft talk.... NYK has a lottery pick and 2 second round selections....

-------///////////////

The Knicks, who could have a top-10 pick in this year's NBA Draft, are interested in selecting Frank Ntilikina or Malik Monk, reports ESPN New York's Ian Begley.

Ntilikina, a 6-foot-5 French guard, is considered to possibly be a lottery pick with his quickness at the guard position.

Kentucky's Monk has averaged 20.2 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.3 assists this season.

The reported interest in both Ntilikina and Monk gives an immediate idea of the type of player the Knicks are hoping to nab, come June's NBA Draft. Phil Jackson has always had an appreciation for taller, stronger point guards, even dating back to his coaching days.

Interestingly enough, both guards will likely go through some sort of transition period. Whereas some prospects may be ready to jump right in and play a role, each aforementioned player will need additional maturation time. Still just 18 years old, Ntilikina will need to adjust to the nuances of the NBA game and learn how to build up communication with his teammates. Ntilikina has an unselfish nature about his play, but his instincts need to develop some. His real uniqueness comes on the defensive end, where he has great awareness. Ntilikina switches well, has solid lateral quickness, and is strong enough to cover both guard positions.

On the other hand, Monk has a more natural explosiveness about him. He attacks the basket and gets down the court with ease. Monk has eyes for the basket and likes to score. However, if his teammates are quick enough to run with him, he'll likely provide his team with a taste of "Lob City," ala the Clippers' brand of basketball. Starting alongside De'Aaron Fox at Kentucky this season, Monk has mostly had to defer and play off the ball. He'll likely need to come into his own as a floor general and someone who can naturally get others involved.

The fact that Ntilikina and Monk will both need time to develop sort of aligns with the Knicks' reported intrigue in a more veteran floor general like Jrue Holiday or Jeff Teague. A player like that could provide New York with the leadership they need right away, while serving as a mentor to a young prospect still finding their way.

Whereas a more seasoned player (who played more lead guard in college) may be able to help pace the Knicks' offense early on, both Ntilikina and Monk seem to have greater upside. This would finally prove the Knicks are exhibiting the type of patience they need, with regard to building a stronger team for a more sustainable long term run.

(Keith Schlosser at theknicksblog)

Also, check out the Ian Begley article:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I don't like that Monk is 6'3" despite that reported 42" vertical. If he can't play the point I'd pass on him as a 6'3" SG. I haven't seen that French kid play. Here's a video of Sky Walker interviewing Monk.

Last edited by tiger0330; Mar 20, 2017 at 10:30.

Veteran

I'm glad you started this thread. It will be interesting to see how the players we are linked to evolve over time leading up to the draft. I want a franchise guard so bad, I can taste it.

I prefer the left-handed, explosive and defensively-inclined PG Fox over his backcourt buddy Monk.

Veteran

Watching this NCAA Tourney really just underscores how bad Phil blew it by not tearing this thing down a while ago. The talent that stands to come into this league this summer is mind blowing. Kansas must have 4 pros on their team alone, that Josh Jackson is absolutely insane...FMIII is also pretty solid himself

At least we stand a great chance to land a really good to potentially special player but we need so much more in order to compete to win in late Spring

Veteran

Originally Posted by Broadway
    Watching this NCAA Tourney really just underscores how bad Phil blew it by not tearing this thing down a while ago. The talent that stands to come into this league this summer is mind blowing. Kansas must have 4 pros on their team alone, that Josh Jackson is absolutely insane...FMIII is also pretty solid himself

At least we stand a great chance to land a really good to potentially special player but we need so much more in order to compete to win in late Spring

I have to agree .. Kansas has me at winning it all, or making it to the FINALS.
    Josh Jackson n Kalieb (Caleb) tandem is a monster to match up against.

The Sweet 16 games will be exciting with several future NBA stars .. hopefully Phil and Knicks scouts will be watching ..
    I fell for UCLA freshmen PG-Lonzo Ball play-making style of lifting teammates performance .. the next CP3

Which is why UCLA vs Kentucky is great.... Ball vs Fox straight up!

Veteran

One Mock Draft I saw online today, had the following top 7:

1 - Boston - Markelle Fultz
    2 - Lakers - Lonzo Ball
    3 - Phoenix - Jaysum Tatum
    4 - Orlando - Josh Jackson
    5 - Philly - De'Aaron Fox
    6 - Sacramento - Jonathan Isaac
    7 - Knicks - Frank Ntilikina

And then it had Malik Monk staying on the board all the way to #10 going to the Twolves.

Obviously, it's really silly to care about a mock draft in March for a lot of reasons, not the least of which being that the draft is decided by lottery and not by final record, so all kinds of crazy nonsense can happy with the draft order.

But, the one thing that struck me from this mock draft was that they had 4 PGs projected in the top 7, but among the teams that by record would be in this simplified top 7, a bunch of them already have young very good to star caliber PGs. If we're looking PG, this could be our year to take advantage of that and maybe find a way to trade up whatever handful of spots we need to get an even better PG off the board.

Say hypothetically we do end up with the 7th pick, do we potentially have an asset to package the 7th pick and something else to move up and get Ball or Fultz or would we be happy with the best available PG like Ntilikina?

Again, crazy, way too early speculation, but something that occurred to me today.
    Last edited by htr10; Mar 20, 2017 at 19:46.

The Knicks remaining schedule is no cake walk. I could see us going 3-10 the rest of the way giving us the 4th of 5th worse record. Josh Jackson could be ours or maybe Fox.

Veteran

I think Philly, Orlando, Lakers, Suns, and Kings are all going to be tough to out-tank for the 2nd through 6th worst records. I'm actually more worried that Minny will out-tank us again like 2 years ago and even New Orleans, despite having 2 of the best big men in the game, might out-tank us too. I could easily see us ending up with the 9th worst record in the NBA.

On the other hand, all you got to do is get in the lottery and maybe this will be our year to have our ball picked and we'll actually move up in the final pick order for once.

i don't know much about the guys in this draft. i haven't paid much attention to college ball this year. but i'll tell you this...
    it won't really matter who we draft if phil and rambis are still here next year. they could draft the next lebron james FFS and it won't matter. these 2 bozos will find a way to ruin it.

Originally Posted by and1
    i don't know much about the guys in this draft. i haven't paid much attention to college ball this year. but i'll tell you this...
    it won't really matter who we draft if phil and rambis are still here next year. they could draft the next lebron james FFS and it won't matter. these 2 bozos will find a way to ruin it.
    Knicks absolutely have to get a stud out of the draft this year. What do the Knicks have to look forward to next year, 3 more years of Noah, CLee and Lance smh. Absolutely need a Josh Jackson or Fox to pair with KP or maybe if the Knicks get real lucky Fultz or Ball. It would be nice if PJ resigned as well and took Rambis with him.

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    The Knicks remaining schedule is no cake walk. I could see us going 3-10 the rest of the way giving us the 4th of 5th worse record. Josh Jackson could be ours or maybe Fox.
    Knicks have the 4th toughest schedule in the NBA based on net rating per 100 possessions according to this, calls our schedule very tank friendly. If Hornacek plays those lineups he played yesterday, he can improve the chances that a tough schedule means we lose as many games as possible.

It looks like the bestbwe can honestly "hope" for is to finish with the 5-7th worst record.... worst case scenario has us slipping all the way to 10th-11th.

So, a sixth worst finish is about the best, no?

Still, it comes down to ping pongs.... like how Lakers jumped up 2 years ago.... at the 6th worst rgame cord we would have a slight chance to jump up to the 1-2 spot.

I fell, as long as we get a top 7 pick we should be golden.

I don't think we'll finish worse than the Nets, Lakers and Suns but the Sixers, Magic and TWolves and Kings along with the Knicks are vying for the 4th worse record. Hornacek went tank with those lineups yesterday, playing the rookies in pairings with the vets for the first time this season.

Sixers are our final regular season game maybe it'll come down to who wins that one for the honor of the 4th worse regular season record. There's a big difference between the 4th and 7th seed as far as a teams lottery chances.