Knicks reportedly interested in drafting Ntilikina, Monk

Broadway

All Star
I agree we're way behind, but you have to admit: BOS ascended bc their GM made great deals (IT and Crowder). Phil said no to Crowder.

Without IT and Crowder, Al doesn't sign with them and without those 3 players.... BOS is a bottom feeder. All their drafts picks the last 7 years.... have produced very little.

PHi is going to be very good if Embid stays healthy. Simmons could be a decent player.... we shall see. Saric looks serviceable too. But I don't buy into what players do when team has nothing to play for.

I mean, to me, KP and WHG are about equal to Embid and Saric.
Now, we both have lottery picks... but they do have a few more pieces (Simmons).

MIL will be without Parker next year... brutal.

I'm not a big believer, personally,
In the OrL team. Something is missing. I think DEN is ahead of them.

Knicks are doomed mainly bc Dolan-Phil-HORn is so below what these they teams have.
I think KP, WHG, Lottery pick is a decent start.... but unless we hit HR this draft and we find out very own type IT/Crowder deals.... we will be competing for a few more lottery picks.

But, again, in the NBA.... its all about elite talent.... getting that transcendent player.... all of those teams we talk about are nice to good and on right track....
But the race is to see who drafts that next SUPER sTAR.

I mean, look.... NO has Cousins and Davis and could re-sign Holiday.... and even with them something is missing.

But, in my final analysis, I doubt NY is playing meaningful games in May-June for years to come.

But.... who knows.... maybe Monk falls in our lap and is a Thompson type guy? Or Trier another Hardin? I doubt it...

Heck, even OKC had Durant, Westbrook, and Hardin and accomplished nada.

Good call on Denver they have really good youth. WHG brother Juan can flat out shoot even he's a nice find for them. When looking at the league players who are 25 and younger we fall well short in comparison.

No GM in the league would take #kporzee/WHG over Embiid/Saric absolutely none, even with the health concerns and I'm giving us the edge there. The "putting up stats on a bad team argument" is weakened when the Knicks are among the worst teams in the league, so that would include our young kids production.

Saric is exceptionally skilled, he has shown more to his game this yr than our beloved unicorn and I'm being bipartisan here. He could regress next season if for nothing else having to adjust to the continual influx of youth but he's damn good no debating. Boston may have undefined talent at the same time they have 3 recently drafted players who are part of a rotation on a winning team, that in of itself speaks for something more than we can discredit. Boston will also have a pick no lower than 4 coming this summer, this too speaks to their favor

The Bucks have Gannis/Brogdan/Parker/Middleton/Maker there's no comparison here...I'd trade our whole team for Gannis straight up without blinking once, thinking twice. If we want to move the goal posts and say move the age down from 25, we still don't compare much.

The up and coming draft continues to show more names declaring, the deeper it will be. Teams drafting outside the lottery will land a good player(starter caliber if not better). Some teams have multiple picks in the 1st round like Portland(12, 20, 27) might as well put us behind them too. Orlando has picks 4 and 22 currently.

This is why I wanted Randle on the team to start the season because I feel he should be included but the proof isn't there yet

Broadway

All Star
Tonight Dorsey outplayed Jackson and arguably has been the best player in the Tourney thus far. It doesn't make me second guess or think less of Jackson's talent. It makes me consider Dorsey's talent more than I had

This is what I was getting at with the Fox vs Ball take last night. It only proves that if most of these names are thrown into the hat for the summer, this draft is gonna be exquisite/rich with talent.

mafra

Legend
The difference between all those other teams and NY is that those teams have been selecting multiple lottery picks for the last 4-5 years.

The Knicks have drafted in the first round in 1 of the previous 3 drafts. So it's obvious that a bunch of other teams will be ahead of NY.

Fortunately, the Knicks stole what appears to be a solid rotation player (maybe even starting center) in the 22 yr-old gifted post player WHG (and if we are stuck running the triangle at least we found a post scorer).

KP is still a question mark, but at the least he'll be a solid rotation player.

And, when i speak of rotation player I mean a contributing 1/8 guys who play for the most part.

I think both KP and WHG have the atttitide and work ethic to excel and improve. Time will tell.

But, yeah, I would take PHI, BOS, MIL roster over ours right now.

Still, if we draft a potential stud guard (Fox or Monk) and find a way to turn those 2 second rounders into another player.... if we sign a decent you player or trade for one.... and, when we stink next year and year after.... that should be 2 more lottery picks.

So, if the right decisions are made this summer and next 2 drafts.... The Knicks should be in a good position to compete come 2019-2020 season.

At that point, KP and WHG will be 25.... have years under their belt playing together.... should be a solid PF/C combo.... maybe Fox is the PG (with 2 seasons under his belt).... plus 2 other lottery picks and other assets.

Then, at that point, who knows. I mean, it's all up to individual players. Who will be good, great, a bust in 4 years? Will Saric be Robert Hoary or Karl Malone or just another body? Will KP be Dirk or Gasol or D.Schrinpf or just a KVH?

At least for the first time since when the NYK can boast having a few solid young players and a lending lottery selection?

Now, if Randle and Thomas and KOQ can flourish with the removal of the Melo cloud?

Also, to be fair, WHG has been solid all year.... even when NYK we're fighting for playoff shot.... Saric didn't start playing well until about halfway point.... evaluating young guys the last 20 games, when nothing is on the line, is akin to September stats. Remember when Tony Douglas looked like the next Chauncey Billups?

I think SAric can be very good.... he was a lottery pick for a reason. I just wonder if he can play on the court with Embid.

Ball, Simmons, Embid, Saric will be fun to watch... for sure tho.

mafra

Legend
Tonight Dorsey outplayed Jackson and arguably has been the best player in the Tourney thus far. It doesn't make me second guess or think less of Jackson's talent. It makes me consider Dorsey's talent more than I had

This is what I was getting at with the Fox vs Ball take last night. It only proves that if most of these names are thrown into the hat for the summer, this draft is gonna be exquisite/rich with talent.

I wanted nothing to do with hardin bc he looked lousy in the Tourny.... and derrick wiliams dominated duke. Look at the careers of those 2 AZ guys...

Heck, Jerry West got upset by Manhattan....

The only thing Fox-Ball matchup showed me was that I worry about Ball a little b/c Fox was able to hold him In check defensively. Fox is an NBa defender and he basically took away ball's ability to score. Meanwhile, Ball couldn't even guard Fox or Monk....

Now, this means little if put in the right place. JJ Redick perfect example.... he was a bust in ORL and now a solid starter in LAC.

Anyway, Fox's defense in Ball meant more to me than his 39 (and solid FT shooting). We desperately need somebody who can defend the point position.

As for Dorsey.... he trained with the Greek Freak this summer. He hits big shots.... I think he hit that big 3 when OR beat UCLA at home this regular season. Remember, Tyler Dorsey was a McDonalds All American, Mr California and was pac-12 player of year.

Get ready for a treat tomorrow.... Kentucky beat UNC at buzzer this year, winning 103-100. Monk hit 3 to win it (had 40 something points). Fox and Jackson played AAU together too, I believe.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Disagree on the WHG and Saric chronology and remember at one point Philly was charging for playoff contention, other than this Mafra I have no qualms about what was posted.

Knicks only sure fire way to improve is drafting, free agency and trades haven't proven much

jimkcchief88

All Star
i don't know much about the guys in this draft. i haven't paid much attention to college ball this year. but i'll tell you this...
it won't really matter who we draft if phil and rambis are still here next year. they could draft the next lebron james FFS and it won't matter. these 2 bozos will find a way to ruin it.

This +1 agreed

jimkcchief88

All Star
I like what whoever said Phil needs to be fired as soon as the buzzer sounds at the end of season. And take Horn/ Rambis and that raggedy triangle with him. Players aren't going to come play for the Knicks and have thier careers ruined under such conditions. How good a coach does Woody look like now? I would fire 🔥 PJAx and beg Woody to comeback since we let Jkidd get away and get Patrick Ewing on the bench as well or get Mark Jackson out of the booth to coach. KP's turning into a 7'4" "shooting guard" shows this administration cannot be trusted to draft and develop young players. Get rid of these idiots. It might be time for Adam Silver to intervene again like he did on behalf of Oak. It's no good for the NBA when the three top markets(NY,CHI,LA) teams are awful at the same time because of bad owners. A bunch of rich dummies are running premier and historic NBA franchises into the ground.

jimkcchief88

All Star
And I hate to say Melo and Rose need to go first because like my boy at work told me" *****s from the city with some $$$$ ain't gonna give a ****" and Rose/Melo both fit into that category.

Broadway

All Star
Get ready for a treat tomorrow.... Kentucky beat UNC at buzzer this year, winning 103-100. Monk hit 3 to win it (had 40 something points). Fox and Jackson played AAU together too, I believe.

I picked Carolina in 2 brackets and Kansas in another bracket, to win it all. Carolina had a pretty decent defensive game plan on Fox and Monk, they came on late and had the game gone another 2-3min maybe they come up with enough good plays to best the Heels. It had that kind of end of game feeling.

By and large not their best performance though and I still feel depending on schemes/match-ups at this level it can make really good players look inferior. It's more about what a team truly feels they can do at the next level and if they fit a team's scheme.

Jackson was probably the best overall player today although Maye was the hero. Jackson(Justin) not(Josh) here...has been solid all yr he kind of reminds me of Nick Batum, he's worthy of a high selection. Needs to improve his ball handling. Monk reminds me of a Will Barton/Lou Williams type. He might be undersized in some cases but I like what he brings a lot, dude has no fear/clutch/can shoot.

Scouts/Executives have to be very careful and like I said make sure their homework is on point, the tourney has been really great to watch purely from a talent perspective not having any horse in the race.

Thornwell and Dorsey have been the standout performers and shockingly neither rank high or show on some of the more reputable mock draft sites, quite puzzling

mafra

Legend
I had Duke, West Va, Kansas, and Kentucky... first time ever to get shutout entirely

UNC played well and really had a good defensive effort in the paint and on Monk. Refs helped them a tad, and having Fox and Co sit most of second part of first half hurt Kentuck. But UNC just as good, and was better for most of the game (even tho Jax choked at FT line and Monk and Fox sank three 3s to tie it).

Did you notice that Fox guarded Jax, just like he did Ball. He normally covers the opponent's best.

Fox is the guy I want most... PG who defends, penetrates, and can score. His jumper is improving. Obviously homework and vetting has to be done on all top 20 types before one can be absolutely sure... but I prefer Fox over any other G right now.

No other freshman in history of Tourny had more points in 1 Tourny game than Fox had (according to CBS during telecast).

I would love Thornwell or Dorsey with our second rounder, if possible.

mafra

Legend
Kings rally from 17 down with 8 left to play to beat Clippers; NOla wins in DEN. Sweet. 2 teams trailing NYK for the 4th worst record.

Philly, Orlando, NYK all tied for 4th worst record, with SAC a game back and Minny half game behind SAC.

5 teams jockeying for the 4-8 slots. NYK better remember what Walsh years did... drafting 7-8 meant Gallinari and Hill, instead of Westbrook and Curry.

We saw what 2 late meaningless wins did to sabotage KAT prospects.... it is imperative we do not win more than 2-3 games.

To
Assist
Next year's
Knicks

mafra

Legend
This was in the NY Post today:

This is considered one of the best point-guard drafts in years, but that doesn?t mean the Knicks will wind up with one, according to an NBA source.

If the tanking Knicks wind up with a top-six pick, as the odds now suggest, they haven?t ruled out passing on a point guard to take Josh Jackson, a Kansas combo forward known best for his defense and passing.

Indeed, the Knicks have a yen for the 6-foot-8 Kansas freshman, whom they have identified as a player with a triangle skill set because of that passing ability. Plus, the Knicks may have to fill a void if Carmelo Anthony is traded.

Jackson, who averaged 16.4 points per game, 7.4 rebounds and three assists, doesn?t have an elite jump shot, according to a college scout. He also is not considered a terrific shot-maker, but he does many other things well, including his desperately needed on-ball defense.

tiger0330

Legend
This guy thinks Fox would be a great fit with Porzingis. I've questioned why a 7'3" guy doesn't get 2-3 lobs a game like Harden does with Capela or CP3 does with DJ and Blake, maybe Fox is the guy.

https://elitesportsny.com/2017/03/2...eat-long-term-fit-next-to-kristaps-porzingis/

New York Knicks: De?Aaron Fox Would Be A Great Long-Term Fit Next to Kristaps Porzingis

New York Knicks: De'Aaron Fox Would Be A Great Long-Term Fit Next to Kristaps Porzingis
The silver lining in the Knicks 2016-17 struggles is the fact that they have a potential top five pick in this year?s NBA draft. One name they should keep a close eye on is Kentucky point guard De?Aaron Fox ? who would be a great long-term fit next to Kristaps Porzingis.

With their Thursday night loss to the Portland Trail Blazers, the New York Knicks now sport a 27-45 record. Their win-loss total is the sixth worst in the NBA; however, for a team who is best served going forward with a full rebuild, losing isn?t necessarily a bad thing.

New York Knicks: De'Aaron Fox Would Be A Great Long-Term Fit Next to Kristaps Porzingis

Currently, the Knicks are just a half-game behind the Philadelphia 76ers and just one game behind the Orlando Magic in regards to the worst records in the NBA. That has them in prime position to land a top-tier player in the NBA draft.

One guy who fills a need is Kentucky point guard De?Aaron Fox, who would be a great long-term fit next to Kristaps Porzingis. (You know, the guy who poured in 39 points in the Elite 8 game against UCLA on Friday night.)

Kentucky?s own De?Aaron Fox has put forth an impressive rookie campaign. Averaging 16.1 points, 4.6 assists as well as 4.0 rebounds a game on 47.6 percent shooting, Fox has shown the ability to compete on both ends of the floor.

Offensively, Fox is a scoring guard. He attacks the rim at will, can play in isolation and also plays above the rim. His ability to be a go-to scoring option is a valuable asset for a rebuilding team, such as the Knicks. Those same qualities are also ones the Knicks envisioned seeing in Derrick Rose?s play. The only problem is ? Rose?s abilities haven?t worked out at the Mecca.

While Rose is averaging 17.8 points a game, he has been unable to make a big enough impact to help propel the Knicks offense to greater heights. Could Fox do what Rose never did by taking the keys and driving the Knicks offensive attack?

While he?s yet to play a game in the NBA, Fox has shown an ability to score in a number of ways, and serve as a playmaker ? something that would be beneficial to Kristaps Porzingis.

Currently, big man Kristaps Porzingis is the clear future of the Knicks. The 21-year-old Latvian has shown the ability to be a two-way presence. By playing out on the perimeter, above the rim and also serve as a shot blocking presence, Porzingis has been an improving long-term asset for the Knicks; however, his game has bee held back a bit, given the Knicks slow style of play. Fox, though, would help change that.

While he does have the ability to play in half court sets, Porzingis is a run and gun, fast break player, much like Fox. Given that he likes to get out and run the fast-break, Fox would do wonders for Porzingis? game allowing him to play his style of game. With Fox and Porzingis uniting to form a run and gun, uptempo offensive duo, the two could potentially grow into a Chris Paul?Blake Griffin ?Lob City? like-duo.

Also, while he would immensely help Porzingis? game, Fox would help the Knicks out defensively as well.

While his offensive play is impressive, Fox?s defensive game is just as impressive. In addition to his impressive stats on the offensive end, Fox has also made an impact on the defensive end.

Averaging 1.4 steals a game, Fox has been a gnat on the defensive end. His defensive impact isn?t just on the stat sheet, though.

While his ability to force turnovers is notable, Fox is also a great defender outside of his steal total. He?s a great on-ball defender, who also has the capability to defend the perimeter. The southpaw?s all around defensive game makes him a very skilled and intriguing prospect ? one who makes a lot of sense for the Knicks.

While he would be a great fit next to Porzingis, Fox would also solve and relieve the Knicks franchise of a burden that?s been held on them for a while ? finally getting a franchise point guard.

If the Knicks were to lose to the point where they?d gain another lottery ball or two, their chances of landing Fox would increase significantly. In Draft Express?s latest mock draft, Fox is projected to go with the sixth pick in the draft ? the spot the Knicks now possess after their Thursday night loss in Portland; however, while he may be projected to be on the board when they make their pick, Fox isn?t a lock to be there. If the Knicks continue to lose, though, their chances of selecting him would increase. If selected, Fox would give the Knicks the long-term point guard they?ve been in search for the past decade, potentially making the losing worth it for the franchise and its fans when it?s all said and done.

While they?ve had veteran point guards such as Stephon Marbury and Raymond Felton in the past, the Knicks haven?t had a point guard who was guaranteed to be in the team?s long-term plans; drafting Fox would finally get them that guard.

If selected, Fox would become the Knicks point guard of the future and would be paired with Kristaps Porzingis. The two together would be a great fit long-term in New York.

Broadway

All Star
This was in the NY Post today:

This is considered one of the best point-guard drafts in years, but that doesn’t mean the Knicks will wind up with one, according to an NBA source.

If the tanking Knicks wind up with a top-six pick, as the odds now suggest, they haven’t ruled out passing on a point guard to take Josh Jackson, a Kansas combo forward known best for his defense and passing.

Indeed, the Knicks have a yen for the 6-foot-8 Kansas freshman, whom they have identified as a player with a triangle skill set because of that passing ability. Plus, the Knicks may have to fill a void if Carmelo Anthony is traded.

Jackson, who averaged 16.4 points per game, 7.4 rebounds and three assists, doesn’t have an elite jump shot, according to a college scout. He also is not considered a terrific shot-maker, but he does many other things well, including his desperately needed on-ball defense.

Whoever the media says the Knicks are interested in won't sway what I've witnessed thus far. It's a no brainer Josh Jackson should be our target, although our need at point guard is dire. The problem is unless we land pick a Top 3 pick Jackson won't be there after 3. Jackson has the most natural raw talent with incredible upside not to mention Top 3 two-way player in the nation. I'd be ecstatic if we drafted him.

My big board would be if we do decide to consider point guards

Markelle Fultz
Josh Jackson
Lonzo Ball
Jayson Tatum
DeAaron Fox
Tyler Dorsey
Frank Mason
Malik Monk
Sandarius Thornwell
Justin Jackson

I need to spend some time checking out some foreign prospects. I know Gonzaga has some players too, not sure if they are lottery potential

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Current standings for the tank. Big difference between 4th and 7th, you have about a 38% chance of getting into the top 3 if you're 4th and about a 15% chance if you're 7th. Horn would be an idiot not to see that that roster next year is up in the air and the highest draft pick who might turn into a stud could save his job. Not impressed with the job he's done as a Knicks coach to be honest and if he blows up the tank by playing Melo, DRose, LT heavy minutes the rest of the way, I hope Phil cans him ASAP.

PICKTEAMRECORDWIN%GBSTREAKL10TOP 3#1 OVR
Brooklyn

BOS
16-57.219--Won 15-564.1%25.0%
LA Lakers

21-52.2885.0Lost 12-855.7%19.9%
Phoenix

22-52.2975.5Lost 81-946.8%15.6%
New York

27-46.37011.0Lost 52-829.6%9.0%
Philadelphia

27-46.37011.0Lost 14-629.6%9.0%
Orlando

27-46.37011.0Won 14-629.6%9.0%
Sacramento

28-45.38412.0Won 13-715.0%4.3%
Minnesota

28-44.38912.5Lost 63-79.9%2.8%

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I want the Knicks to select 1 of the 3 players in the draft:

1) Lonzo Ball .. 6.6 PG Freshman
2) Jordan Bell .. 6.9 PF/SF Junior
3) Josh Jackson .. 6.8 SF Freshman

NBA ready Guards
Frank Mason .. 5.11 PG Senior
Sandarius Thornwell .. 6.5 combo-guard Senior
J.P. Macura .. 6.5 combo-guard Junior

Kiyaman

Legend
Tiger .... We are tied for the 4th pick in the 2017 draft lottery with the 76ers / Magic because of our poor coaching Hornacek giving playing-time to all-around poor performance Lance Thomas, ISO-Melo, and ISO-Rose .. If Horn keep playing those misfits we might get tied with the Nets or Suns LOL

jimkcchief88

All Star
It's kind of funny after all this time, in a PG driven league, and we are STILL having this point guard coversation. Damphony passed on PG's to draft his godson, PJAx passed on Mudiay to draft Porzingis, waited until late to grab Grant, then traded him as well. And don't be surprised if PJAx takes ANOTHER left turn and doesn't draft a PG again until the 2nd round. Remember his freakin triangle doesn't really rely on PG's. BJ Armstrong was the Bullies best PG and Fish was the Lakers best PG. Neither would start in 2016-2017 and PJAx still hasn't gotten the memo that MJ,Scottie, Shaq, and Kobe ain't coming out of the tunnel. Don't get your hopes up fellas that's what I'm saying. As long as there is some lanky, unknown, and unproven Euro on the board when we make our pick PJAx will have opportunity to screw the pooch again:(.

Kiyaman

Legend
Ball came up small in the biggest game in the tourney. Fox is the real deal, two way player with speed, athleticism equally comfortable driving the lane and on the perimeter and a true PG. The games against WS and UCLA drove his stock up. It'll be interesting if Ball drops because of one game but I did not see an uber athlete nor a great jump shooter tonight.

Kentucky's star scoring backcourt tandem Fox & Monk took the team to the final 8 ..
I still would select the 6.6 playmaker Lonzo Ball over them in the draft, especially if we are force to resign Rose for 2 or more seasons .. Ball's play-making skills could let Rose switch to SG

Kiyaman

Legend
It's kind of funny after all this time, in a PG driven league, and we are STILL having this point guard coversation. Damphony passed on PG's to draft his godson, PJAx passed on Mudiay to draft Porzingis, waited until late to grab Grant, then traded him as well. And don't be surprised if PJAx takes ANOTHER left turn and doesn't draft a PG again until the 2nd round. Remember his freakin triangle doesn't really rely on PG's. BJ Armstrong was the Bullies best PG and Fish was the Lakers best PG. Neither would start in 2016-2017 and PJAx still hasn't gotten the memo that MJ,Scottie, Shaq, and Kobe ain't coming out of the tunnel. Don't get your hopes up fellas that's what I'm saying. As long as there is some lanky, unknown, and unproven Euro on the board when we make our pick PJAx will have opportunity to screw the pooch again:(.

Phil Jackson won his first six coaching championships on the Bulls from having 3 super-star point-forwards in the rotation Paxon, Mike, Pippin, then Harper/Mike/Pippin .. On Lakers Phil won championships having Harper then Fisher at PG along with combo-guard high-scorer Kobe.