Knicks reportedly interested in drafting Ntilikina, Monk

mafra

Legend
Alonzo Trier putting on a show right now. 15 consecutive points as AZ battling Xavier. Toss up who is best SG in this draft (Monk or Trier).

Kiyaman

Legend
Alonzo Trier putting on a show right now. 15 consecutive points as AZ battling Xavier. Toss up who is best SG in this draft (Monk or Trier).

I must admit all of Xavier guards look great .. each one add something different on the court.
I got Xavier guards beating Gonzaga on Saturday

The Game is tonight .. UCLA - Ball vs Kentucky - Monk
Ball is a 1 to 3 pick .. I will be upset if the Celtricks select Ball

tiger0330

Legend
It's on UK vs UCLA. Celtics take Ball over Fultz if both are on the board when they select to make him a SG along side IT.

With Orlando beating the Pistons tonight, the Magic, Knicks, Sixers, and Kings are all within one game of each other in the standings. Basically, it's a dead heat for the 4th through 7th worst records in the NBA with about 10 games per team to go.

tiger0330

Legend
PHI beat the Bulls a team trying to get a playoff spot so they're not tanking. Horn needs to tank, PHI has way more to look forward to than the Knicks.

mafra

Legend
Monk putting in a show right now.... 10 quick second half points.... this is same dude who scored 30 in a gal this year (bs FLA) and who has the record for most points EVER by a Kentucky freshman....

Just shows you about this draft.... it's deep but there's plenty of risk. Picking 1-7 doesn't really matter.... All have potential to be special but also all have some risk.

In other words, maybe it's a blessing having to settle for a guy at 6 or risk taking this year's Okafor or Russell.

mafra

Legend
Fox was the superior player to Ball tonight. Yeah, sure, the kid Ball can pass.... has a little Kidd in him. But, if I had a top 3 pick, I doubt I would take Ball.

mafra

Legend
Fox with 39 points. 13-15 from FT line; 13-20 from the field.... Ball pretty much a non-factor on offense. I'm not sure Ball is athletic enough to excel in the NBA.

Meanwhile, Fox is like John Wall.
And I like that he's left-handed. He's strong and the best defensive PG in this class.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Ball came up small in the biggest game in the tourney. Fox is the real deal, two way player with speed, athleticism equally comfortable driving the lane and on the perimeter and a true PG. The games against WS and UCLA drove his stock up. It'll be interesting if Ball drops because of one game but I did not see an uber athlete nor a great jump shooter tonight.

tiger0330

Legend
Monk with a nice complementary game to Fox. Dude can sky, anyone see that closeout at the end of the game. Looked like there was 4 FT between the ground and his feet. Had a running start though.

tiger0330

Legend
Reading the comments on Twitter about Ball after he declared for the draft after the loss. Wasn't pretty, most calling him overrated and a bust at the next level. I think Fox gets picked ahead of him in the draft and maybe he falls to 5.

mafra

Legend
Reading the comments on Twitter about Ball after he declared for the draft after the loss. Wasn't pretty, most calling him overrated and a bust at the next level. I think Fox gets picked ahead of him in the draft and maybe he falls to 5.

He's tall and can pass, and knows how to run an offense. When Kidd came out he couldn't shoot.... this kid has high bball iQ. It all depends on who picks where....

The point is.... Ball and Fox could both be busts, all stars.... who knows. The point of this draft is that there are a legit 6-8 guys who could be franchise type talent. Sure, there's always that random sleeper and there's always the bust risk. While I don't see a Lebron or Wade or Melo in this draft, I do see a rose, wall, Kidd, beal, Thompson, Hardin type of talent.

As it happens for Knicks.... we should be golden as long as we pick in the top 7.

Tough, tough decisions for those who pick 1-3.... I personally think BOS trades their top pick. Lakers want Ball. I think Knicks would be extremely fortunate to get Fox, Monk, Trier.... I've never seen the French PG.... but they say he's good too.

tiger0330

Legend
I think more than the tourney games the team individual workouts are more important. Fox stock probably went through the roof coming up big in the tourney along with that ability that he's going to show in his workouts.

Broadway

All Star
Mario Chalmers looked every bit the pro Derrick Rose did when Kansas beat Memphis in the title game, I place little stock in an individual game unless a player looked absolutely overwhelmed and incompetent competitively. While many would have liked to see more from Ball, he didn't play terrible it's just that Kentucky and their kids played phenomenal.

I mean Devin Booker was just a bench scorer for Kentucky coming into the draft. As Mafra stated teams will have to do their homework and consider fit/needs. I think Fox works for Philly just off the top of my head

Big ups to Fox, he's really good...definitely lottery worthy. At the next level though he like Ball will to have to invest in building up their physical body, it's going to be a weakness. Another kid to look closely at is Thronwell from SoCo

Broadway

All Star
He's tall and can pass, and knows how to run an offense. When Kidd came out he couldn't shoot.... this kid has high bball iQ. It all depends on who picks where....

The point is.... Ball and Fox could both be busts, all stars.... who knows. The point of this draft is that there are a legit 6-8 guys who could be franchise type talent. Sure, there's always that random sleeper and there's always the bust risk. While I don't see a Lebron or Wade or Melo in this draft, I do see a rose, wall, Kidd, beal, Thompson, Hardin type of talent.

As it happens for Knicks.... we should be golden as long as we pick in the top 7.

Tough, tough decisions for those who pick 1-3.... I personally think BOS trades their top pick. Lakers want Ball. I think Knicks would be extremely fortunate to get Fox, Monk, Trier.... I've never seen the French PG.... but they say he's good too.

Possibly if it keeps them Top 5, otherwise I don't see it. They see the known quantities in players. One thing Ainge has proven maybe more so than any other GM the past 10yrs is identifying young talent coming into the league. I see them trading their other picks as the summer and next season unfolds.

mafra

Legend
Possibly if it keeps them Top 5, otherwise I don't see it. They see the known quantities in players. One thing Ainge has proven maybe more so than any other GM the past 10yrs is identifying young talent coming into the league. I see them trading their other picks as the summer and next season unfolds.

If it weren't for GSW and CLE, I would have no doubt that Ainge would trade away his picks for players.... but, Ainge may see the writing on the bathroom stall, and may see that a team built around IT-AH isn't going to be beating GSW or CLE....

So, perhaps he continues building.... and actually trades IT at deadline next year and continues to build a nucleus that will dominate the post Lebron and post GSW days? Who knows. Tough call. Al's window is closing and soon BOS has to decide if they want to keep IT or both Avery and Smart.

The kid they took this year look decent enough.... and with a lottery pick coming.... they have 2 pieces.... most important tho is the GM-HC combo.

Still, push comes to shove.... Go for Butler?

NY finally seems poised to build thru draft but unfortunately PHI & BOS have head starts. Still, Embid is hurt every year and soon BOs must start paying their young players or let them walk.

BOS and PHI are also cautionary tales. A TON of lottery picks the last 5 years hasn't meant much. BOS is competitive bc of backing into IT and Crowder.... in the NBA you need HOF guys.... Steph Curry or Lebron types... otherwise.... spin your wheels.

The only good news for NY, they might've backed into 1 key ingredient.... think GSW and Spurs.... Green and Ginobli.... Fast tracking rebuild usually involves a steal in the second round. Maybe.... and I emphasize MAYBE.... NY might've found a gem in WHG.

If they find another quality starter in the lottery this year and turn 1 of their second rounders into a rotation player.... even deal melo for a young asset.... that's 4 pieces. And we know that dealing Melo is addition by subtraction....
This team will Hopefully really gel once Ny divests themselves of the Melo brand. Winning must be out above all else....
A team built around the personalities of Horn-KP-WHG is probably a good start.

I said it at the deadline, add Paul George to the Celtics and that could be a team that could beat the Cavs and maybe win it all. If I was Ainge, I make another major push with the Pacers again this offseason with the picks he still has in his pocket. I think once those picks are used, the players are worth much less. No way Jaylen Brown gets you as much as his 1st round pick would have netted Boston last year.

Broadway

All Star
If it weren't for GSW and CLE, I would have no doubt that Ainge would trade away his picks for players.... but, Ainge may see the writing on the bathroom stall, and may see that a team built around IT-AH isn't going to be beating GSW or CLE....

So, perhaps he continues building.... and actually trades IT at deadline next year and continues to build a nucleus that will dominate the post Lebron and post GSW days? Who knows. Tough call. Al's window is closing and soon BOS has to decide if they want to keep IT or both Avery and Smart.

The kid they took this year look decent enough.... and with a lottery pick coming.... they have 2 pieces.... most important tho is the GM-HC combo.

Still, push comes to shove.... Go for Butler?

The push for Butler with a potentially closing window on any said current player doesn't justify trading away the best part(s) of the future. I could see Ainge putting their future picks and a player or two on the table. Like a 2018 & 19 1st, Crowder, Rozier, and other filler for Butler. The 2017 1st more than likely will not be on the table although that's all this summer's draft talk may center around to hype the draft. Al Horford was just a piece to the competitive puzzle balance. Trust, DA is not anchoring his title hopes to Al Horford's longevity. DA will make moves as he sees the upside and because circumstance will call for him to do so

NY finally seems poised to build thru draft but unfortunately PHI & BOS have head starts. Still, Embid is hurt every year and soon BOs must start paying their young players or let them walk.

BOS and PHI are also cautionary tales. A TON of lottery picks the last 5 years hasn't meant much. BOS is competitive bc of backing into IT and Crowder.... in the NBA you need HOF guys.... Steph Curry or Lebron types... otherwise.... spin your wheels.

The only good news for NY, they might've backed into 1 key ingredient.... think GSW and Spurs.... Green and Ginobli.... Fast tracking rebuild usually involves a steal in the second round. Maybe.... and I emphasize MAYBE.... NY might've found a gem in WHG.

If they find another quality starter in the lottery this year and turn 1 of their second rounders into a rotation player.... even deal melo for a young asset.... that's 4 pieces. And we know that dealing Melo is addition by subtraction....

This team will Hopefully really gel once Ny divests themselves of the Melo brand. Winning must be out above all else....
A team built around the personalities of Horn-KP-WHG is probably a good start.

Philly has two players on their team right now almost worthy of ROY(Embiid-Saric). Yeah they had bad fortunes with injury but there's nothing too cuationary in terms of the sure talent they have. It's going to break through soon enough. Keep in mind we haven's seen Simmons yet so be cautious about how you view them. They can draft any premium talent we can come this summer.

Boston has only ascended to the Top of the east with constant doubt about them. Really bizarre perspective here when it comes to their team.

Actually it's not just Phil and Bos... we'll be behind Orlando, Bucks in the east and Wolves and Lakers in the west. We play the whole field and considering new playoffs seedings, which I believe is a sign Divisions are soon to be eliminated. Look for breaking news in schedule changes next 3yrs...

In regards to our Knicks...Phil needs to take those 2nd round picks 44th and 58th respectively, anchor them to say someone like Baker or Kaminsk along with cash and trade into the 1st round if he sees someone who'll be a better fit long term. Or hit the lottery...literally, with them(Jokic/Green/Middleton/Clarkson)

No matter how you slice it we're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy behind!!!!

mafra

Legend
I agree we're way behind, but you have to admit: BOS ascended bc their GM made great deals (IT and Crowder). Phil said no to Crowder.

Without IT and Crowder, Al doesn't sign with them and without those 3 players.... BOS is a bottom feeder. All their drafts picks the last 7 years.... have produced very little.

PHi is going to be very good if Embid stays healthy. Simmons could be a decent player.... we shall see. Saric looks serviceable too. But I don't buy into what players do when team has nothing to play for.

I mean, to me, KP and WHG are about equal to Embid and Saric.
Now, we both have lottery picks... but they do have a few more pieces (Simmons).

MIL will be without Parker next year... brutal.

I'm not a big believer, personally,
In the OrL team. Something is missing. I think DEN is ahead of them.

Knicks are doomed mainly bc Dolan-Phil-HORn is so below what these they teams have.
I think KP, WHG, Lottery pick is a decent start.... but unless we hit HR this draft and we find out very own type IT/Crowder deals.... we will be competing for a few more lottery picks.

But, again, in the NBA.... its all about elite talent.... getting that transcendent player.... all of those teams we talk about are nice to good and on right track....
But the race is to see who drafts that next SUPER sTAR.

I mean, look.... NO has Cousins and Davis and could re-sign Holiday.... and even with them something is missing.

But, in my final analysis, I doubt NY is playing meaningful games in May-June for years to come.

But.... who knows.... maybe Monk falls in our lap and is a Thompson type guy? Or Trier another Hardin? I doubt it...

Heck, even OKC had Durant, Westbrook, and Hardin and accomplished nada.

mafra

Legend
Anyway, I felt all year I would love Tatum or Fox. Fox is the safest bc he's super atheletic, a lefty, and can play defense. He can improve his outside shot and hopefully the passing stuff.... but he's a legit prospect.