203083.png
1626195.png

203484.png
201584.png

202397.png
1627758.png

Injury Report

Detroit PistonsNew York Knicks
Michael Gbinije - Left ankle sprain (DOUBT)Joakim Noah - Sore left hamstring (OUT)
-Carmelo Anthony - Sore left knee (AVAIL)
-Lance Thomas - Sore right hip (OUT)

Game Preview

NEW YORK -- With their playoff hopes dashed, the New York Knicks can turn their attention to playing the spoiler role in the Eastern Conference this week.

That starts Monday when the Knicks (27-46) host the Detroit Pistons (34-9) at Madison Square Garden. Detroit, riding a three-game losing streak, is one game behind the Miami Heat for the eighth and final spot in the East's playoff picture.

"We're at that point in the year where we've hit a bit of a wall," Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy told the Detroit News. "The energy has been sapped and everybody's really frustrated."

Detroit is 11-25 on the road and 20-25 against Eastern Conference opponents. It hasn't fared well in its own Central Division either, going 5-15.

In their 115-87 loss to the Orlando Magic on Saturday, the Pistons trailed throughout the game and fell behind by as many as 33 points. Tobias Harris was the lone starter to score in double figures. Van Gundy's group shot just 28.6 percent in the first quarter.

"I think every night we go into the game ready to make a good effort," the Detroit coach said. "We open games wanting to play a certain way, and when it doesn't go our way, frustration sets in. We're just struggling with the mental part of it right now."

The Knicks, losers of four straight on their western road swing, can also have a say in the Heat's future when they play a home-and-home at New York on Wednesday and in Miami on Friday. New York will miss the playoffs for the fourth straight season.

The off-the-court chaos for Knicks first-year coach Jeff Hornacek continued on Saturday when the league suspended center Joakim Noah for 20 seasons for using a banned substance. Noah is rehabbing from arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in late February and was expected to be evaluated this month.

Willy Hernangomez has been filling in nicely for Noah, who was struggling before the injury in his first season in New York. Hernangomez has started 12 games since February and figures to be a part of next season's plans.

"One of the biggest things I have to work on this summer is going to be my defense so next year I can defend (centers) and (power forwards)," Hernangomez told Newsday.

Hernangomez will have his hands full on Monday, trying to contain Detroit center Andre Drummond, who is second in the league in rebounds (14 per game) and third in post touches a game with 7.1.

Hernangomez is averaging 9.4 rebounds in just 21.4 minutes in March, along with 10 points and 50.7 percent from the field. He is second in rebounding among rookies, fourth in shooting, fifth in blocked shots and third in double-doubles with eight.

"He's just battling -- hitting guys," Hornacek said, according to the New York Post. "He was trying to make moves but not have the contact. Now he doesn't care. He'll put his shoulder into you. His moves inside are slowing down."

Carmelo Anthony was held out of the Knicks' two previous games with a sore left knee. He is questionable for the Pistons game.

New York and Detroit are fourth and fifth, respectively, in the league in rebounding.

(cbssports.com)

Thanks again, Rady.

Strong first 8 minutes of the game for Porzingis who has 11 first quarter points on 4 for 4 shooting from the floor

tiger0330

Legend
WTF I just tuned in and I see Melo make a steal and then make an Iso 3. Horn still not tanking putting in his starters like Melo and Rose to play the spoiler against a Piston team trying to get a spot in the playoffs. Knicks lead 52-46 4.30 left in the 2nd.

WTF I just tuned in and I see Melo make a steal and then make an Iso 3. Horn still not tanking putting in his starters like Melo and Rose to play the spoiler against a Piston team trying to get a spot in the playoffs. Knicks lead 52-46 4.30 left in the 2nd.

Our offense has been on fire, but we're still playing defense like a team that's tanking

We're up 64 - 59 at the half, but that's taken Porzingis and Melo each scoring 19 first half points with Porzingis shooting 7 for 10 and Melo shooting 8 for 12 from the floor.

Long story short, our 2 best players are on fire having a huge half and that has only amounted to a 5 point lead because our defense is that bad

tiger0330

Legend
Both Melo and KP have 19pts in the 1st half 64-59 Knicks at the half. Pistons are going have to win this one, maybe Horn puts in the tank lineup later but so far he's not tanking.

We score the 1st 9 points of the 3rd quarter. Why did it take over 70 games to figure out how to execute our offense?

mafra

Legend
Am sure that happens to be last time NYK won consecutive games.... wow indeed.

NY winning and ORL losing.... tough to ask NY to lose this game tho.... at home vs DET. So, pocket a win and let's hope for another losing streak.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanx for the Game-Thread Rady .... We should have been ballin like this 2 months ago .. Knicks having a 20 pt lead at the end of the 3rd Qtr. .. Go Knicks

The Spurs givin the Lebron-Cavs a 20 pt spanking at halftime SMH

Our big 3 of Melo, Rose, and Porzingis played like a big 3 for the first time in who knows how long. If this team is going to try and prove a point about what it could have been this year, Wednesday against Miami will be a much better test.

tiger0330

Legend
Our big 3 of Melo, Rose, and Porzingis played like a big 3 for the first time in who knows how long. If this team is going to try and prove a point about what it could have been this year, Wednesday against Miami will be a much better test.
Next 2 against Miami, then the Celts and the Bulls. Those are teams playing for something, let's hope they're more motivated than the Pistons were because these are senseless wins by the Knicks. Hornacek has not thrown in the towel so it looks like other teams are just going to have to rise up and best us.

I agree that winning any more games is toxic to our lottery efforts, but still, watching Porzingis play so poorly recently has bummed me out.

At least watching Porzingis play well last night we can somewhat convince ourselves he may be the future of this team. Melo playing like he did last night might actually give him offseason trade value. Rose is a wash since I think he is gone at the end of the season regardless.

Broadway

All Star
I agree that winning any more games is toxic to our lottery efforts, but still, watching Porzingis play so poorly recently has bummed me out.

At least watching Porzingis play well last night we can somewhat convince ourselves he may be the future of this team. Melo playing like he did last night might actually give him offseason trade value. Rose is a wash since I think he is gone at the end of the season regardless.

Alexy Shved and Andrea Bargnani were end of season hall of fame performers oh how quickly we forget the good ole days...lol

I take absolutely nothing away from these games... I concluded the assessing of this team 50-70gms ago. They can't even lose games graciously when needed. Detroit had been floundering it was a perfect time limit guys minutes, bring them off the bench, or DNP them

GMs around the league already know who Melo is(they either value him or they don't), a meaningless win against Detroit will not sway them 1 iota

Broadway

All Star
The only slight glimmer of light, #kporzee and WHG play fairly well together but once again emotions have to be reigned in. It's end of season stats at the worst time of the yr, with little to play for

mafra

Legend
Yeah, we should be DNPing Melo vs DET, not SA. A few meaningless wins could crippled this franchise. 2 years ago 2 wins meant KP and not KAT. 10 years ago, consecutive seasons of winning a few games late meant Gallinari and Hill (and not Westbrook and Curry).

Bottom line: Picking in too 6 and you're pretty much guaranteed a franchise cornerstone piece. If, perchance, we slip and fall in the 7-10 range.... we'll, that could mean having to settle for a Gallinari and miss out on a Westbrook.

tiger0330

Legend
The triangle was working yesterday. Guys were moving the ball for the best shot yesterday, on some plays guys were passing up wide open looks for even higher % shots under the basket. Phil may decide that fine tuning next year may be better than a complete re-boot of the roster where Horn has to start teaching the triangle all over again to new players.

I can see his point, if he blows up the roster and decides to tank, there goes his legacy, his final two years will be a waste except to lay the groundwork for the next GM. Tank and he'll probably go down in Knicks history as the GM with not only the worst single season record but the all-time worst record for any GM in club history.