Official 2017 NBA Draft Thread - June 22

mafra

Legend
yeah, i'm sure melo helping lillard and mccollum with the scoring would be greatly appreciated. melo might feel like the competition out west is just a little too tough though.
i'm going to guess he wants to stay east. i still think the wizzies would be the best fit for him.

I agree, especially if he agreed to be the sixth man (help their depth), then serve as a co-closer in the 4th. I'd take WASh's first in this draft and maybe something else....

tiger0330

Legend
I agree, especially if he agreed to be the sixth man (help their depth), then serve as a co-closer in the 4th. I'd take WASh's first in this draft and maybe something else....
What do you think about the chances Portland would be interested in Melo for Crabbe or Turner. They just snuck into the playoffs and Crabbe and Turner have those large contracts they signed last year that they might be regretting. Doubt Melo wants to go to POR but teams with bad contracts are potential trade partners.

What do you think about the chances Portland would be interested in Melo for Crabbe or Turner. They just snuck into the playoffs and Crabbe and Turner have those large contracts they signed last year that they might be regretting. Doubt Melo wants to go to POR but teams with bad contracts are potential trade partners.

I don't know. Now that Melo only has 1 year left plus a 1 year player option, trading him for bad contracts that last 3 or 4 more years seems insane. We have Noah until 2020. Imagine he never gets back to being a starter and then on top of that we've added a middling overpaid guy like Crabbe or Turner. We're paying 2 bench players, or worse non-players, almost 40 million combined until 2020. I say we either find a way to trade Melo to a team with the cap space to absorb him or trade him for an expiring contract. Needless to say, we'd want a 1st round pick or a good contract promising player or two in return, but in light of how PJ and Melo have handled this situation up until now, I can't see why other teams would want to offer us a deal that is anything more than marginally beneficial to us.

mafra

Legend

Yeah, if I'm the Knicks I only want young, cheap players or draft picks. Melo and POR would be a great fit tho.... That backcourt rivals GSW and wAS as best in NBA!

I'd take their first and a young player.

Broadway

All Star
"According to an NBA source, the Celtics coaching staff was in favor of trading for Anthony at the trade deadline, but general manager Danny Ainge had too many reservations. One of Ainge?s concerns, according to a source, was an Anthony trade would have given Boston no real cap space to work with for the 2017 free-agent class."

Beginning to look like a Melo for Crowder swap, along with a few second rounders (Boston has 3 this draft) could be realistic, especially if BOS gets swept and is unable to attract a big free agent fish.

BOS has plenty of expiring contracts to make it work.

I'd do Melo for Crabbe/#15/#26. Melo will make in 2yrs almost what Crabbe will make in 4yrs. While I don't particularly care for Crabbe's deal I can stomach an overpriced contract on a young player as long as it doesn't become a habit.

mafra

Legend
I'd do Melo for Crabbe/#15/#26. Melo will make in 2yrs almost what Crabbe will make in 4yrs. While I don't particularly care for Crabbe's deal I can stomach an overpriced contract on a young player as long as it doesn't become a habit.

And if taking a "bad contract" gets you the 15th pick (and another 1st), then you jump at the chance!!!

If Melo is smart, POR and WAS would be the best place for him (outside of CLE, BOS, LA). Knicks could probably toss in a Lee or KOQ, who would have value as depth in a team like POR.

tiger0330

Legend
Doesn't this sound like Melo?

Kevin Durant
loves Lillard's competitive spirit. He told ESPN that the Trail Blazers are a few pieces from contending.

"I think they want somebody on the wing that can take the pressure off those two guards [C.J. McCollum and Lillard], somebody that's big for their position. But they're right there, man. They're a good team. They started off slow. I think they should have been a higher seed, but they fought their way to get in the playoffs. They have a future center in [Jusuf] Nurkic who took them over the top, but I think they need another ball handler on the wing to get them going. It's going to be fun playing against these guys in the next few years."

mafra

Legend
Not sure if Melo will approve moving all the way to POR, but it's a wonderful place (especially for his kids). If I were Melo, Inwould jump at the chance to be their third (and final piece).

We could do Melo for Ezeli, Davis, Vonleh, Napier.... that's 19 mil. Take POR 1st this year and perhaps another 1st in 2021 or something. Not the best of trades, but still makes all parties happy.

paris401

Starter
We could do Melo for Ezeli, Davis, Vonleh, Napier.... that's 19 mil. Take POR 1st this year and perhaps another 1st in 2021 or something. Not the best of trades, but still makes all parties happy.

I had no idea that Me-Lo is so valuable ....

mafra

Legend
I had no idea that Me-Lo is so valuable ....

If Mozgov could fetch 2 first rounders.... we'll, Melo should be able to net the same. The players are salary match causalities.

Lillard
McCullum
Aminu
Melo
Nurkic

With Tuner, Crabbe, Harkless, Leonard on the bench.

Maybe we even toss in a Lee or KOQ.

Broadway

All Star
If Mozgov could fetch 2 first rounders.... we'll, Melo should be able to net the same. The players are salary match causalities.

In theory yes but that's not how it works. It takes a climate of desperation from certain teams willing to take it there. Also Melo makes/made a helluva lot more than Mozgov at time of trade, has a trade kicker, doesn't have many yrs left, and probably wants more money soon!

There are only 2-3 teams you can put Melo on who aren't contenders that makes them contenders. Washington and Boston..Portland works as a trading partner but doesn't make them contenders, their problem isn't scoring it's defending and playing more conventionally.

Clippers might be a consideration although already in contention if healthy. But how much money can Ballmer throw at that team with such a short window? You can't pay Jordan/Blake/Paul/Melo all that money sorry. Not to mention there's not much left around them.

Melo's value isn't that good unless he's willing to literally play almost anywhere. Even then some teams only have so much to offer. If you're talking picks down the road a la 202X, not all that good unless the downfall of said team syncs up then.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
BOS is sitting pretty bc they dealt PP and KG to Nets for future picks. Dealing Melo for future picks, especially and older team like LAC would be akin to the same type of deal. In 2021, LAC could easily be a lottery team.

paris401

Starter
BOS is sitting pretty bc they dealt PP and KG to Nets for future picks. Dealing Melo for future picks, especially and older team like LAC would be akin to the same type of deal. In 2021, LAC could easily be a lottery team.

but how many 'stupid-Russian-multi-billionaires' r left???

Broadway

All Star

Still not the same. KG and PP had a much better track record leading up to time of trade than Melo. Your case would be stronger had it worked out for the Nets but it didn't. I bet teams won't do anything like that again. Add in Lakers too with Nash, didn't work. Those are deals of the past.

Clippers a possibility but once again(CP3/Blake/Jordan/Melo) all possibly making $100millish 3-4yr span...naaaaaahhhh! We're not gonna get great value from them.

Funny how fans want Melo gone but think they can inch closer to a King's Ransom for him as trade day draws nigh...lol

mafra

Legend
In theory yes but that's not how it works. It takes a climate of desperation from certain teams willing to take it there. Also Melo makes/made a helluva lot more than Mozgov at time of trade, has a trade kicker, doesn't have many yrs left, and probably wants more money soon!

There are only 2-3 teams you can put Melo on who aren't contenders that makes them contenders. Washington and Boston..Portland works as a trading partner but doesn't make them contenders, their problem isn't scoring it's defending and playing more conventionally.

Clippers might be a consideration although already in contention if healthy. But how much money can Ballmer throw at that team with such a short window? You can't pay Jordan/Blake/Paul/Melo all that money sorry. Not to mention there's not much left around them.

Melo's value isn't that good unless he's willing to literally play almost anywhere. Even then some teams only have so much to offer. If you're talking picks down the road a la 202X, not all that good unless the downfall of said team syncs up then.

All I said was getting a pick in 2021, from a team like LAC (who'll probably be a lottery team by then) is actually a pretty good get for NYK. Just like how BOs is looking at first pick in draft this year, it might work out for NYK in 2021.

I'm not sure how this comes across as a NYK fan seeking a king's ransom. Getting Rivers and the LAC 2021 first is probably well within reason and expectation. I doubt Phil gives Melo away for anything less.

and1

Rotation player
We have a stupid, burnt out hippy. Watch us trade KP and our first for Jimmy Butler.

and that is exactly the 1 and only true variable to all of this. it doesn't matter what melo's value is. what matters is more than likely phil is going to mess this up, pretty much how he's messed up all of his trades to this point. someone could TRY and argue that the rose/holiday for lopez/grant was a decent trade on its surface, but then you have to consider that rose was clearly not a triangle kind of PG. so you have to ask yourself... just what the hell was he thinking? kind of like you have to ask yourself what he was thinking when he gave melo the NTC and trade kicker.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks are enamored with French point guard Frank Ntilikina, and could select him in next month's NBA Draft if they stay in the seventh slot, according to Marc Berman of the New York Post.

Knicks general manager Steve Mills flew to France to see the 18-year old point guard play Tuesday night.

The 6-foot-5 Ntilikina is considered by many to be the top international prospect in the draft.

tiger0330

Legend
The Knicks are enamored with French point guard Frank Ntilikina, and could select him in next month's NBA Draft if they stay in the seventh slot, according to Marc Berman of the New York Post.

Knicks general manager Steve Mills flew to France to see the 18-year old point guard play Tuesday night.

The 6-foot-5 Ntilikina is considered by many to be the top international prospect in the draft.
What happened to that kid Laberie they picked a few years ago? You would think the Knicks would avoid anyone from France after Weis and Laberie, they get picked and they never play in the NBA.