Sweetney overrated?

Big C

Benchwarmer
Code:
I think he can be a good basketball player not great. Do you feel he is overrated by Knick fans?

NYKnicks15

Starter
i love sweetneys play and in a year or two hell be great but he needs to slim down just a little maybe 20 pounds and hell be there. i think overrated is a harsh word especially in a time like this...i just think he sticks out in a old unathletic roster

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I agree with you all. He is pigeon holing himself into a role player. He desperately needs to slim down, cause recently he has been getting killed defensively. He just seems lost. I think right now he more Malik Rose or Robert Traylor than anything else, so we need to continue the front court search. I think we should try to trade Stephon Marbury for Stomile Swift and Bonzi Wells from Memphis. The salaries are close, as well both guys are rumored to be on the Memphis chopping block.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
i dont think he'll ever become a great defensive PF. hes not athletic enough to stick with the kenyon martins and stromile swifts of the league. he doesnt have enough hops like ben wallace to be a monster rebounder. but, he does have good size (in terms of his weight), so he can probably be good at maintainng positions and getting rebounds. i could envision him being a 16 and 9 guy, but i dont think he'll ever become a franchise player. the best thing to do with him i think would be give him a lot more minutes, juice his numbers up (in 30 mins a game i think he can get 13 and 7), and then after his trade value has been increased, package him with some old aging scrubs to get expiring contracts, draft picks, or more talented players in return.

and its not that hes going to be bad, i think he could be a solid PF, but i wouldnt want to build my team around him. we could even keep him long term, but i think he would be best served as a trading pawn one or two years down the road.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
jerry west is no fool. i dunno if i'd ever wanna deal with that guy as a gm. although, he did give up draw gooden and goron girichek for mike miller, and i think gooden has shown to be a better player.

i wouldnt trade marbury for swift and bonzi wells straight up, because we need to package marbury along with some of our bad contracts (like allan houston). otherwise, marbury still a good player and probably more valuable to a team than wells ans swift combined. i DO want to trade marbury, becuase i dont think hes a "carry a franchise on his back" player, but id want to be able to better position myself for the future if i get rid of him, and adding swift/wells wouldnt be enough.

portland has a rich ass owner in paul allen (microsoft executive) who probably wants to win more than make money from owning the team (i think he ordered the gm nash to go after kidd). portland could be a good team to trade with because they have a lot of expiring contracts, some decent rookies, and an owner who wants to win. we could unload our contracts on them, i think. also, protalnd probably realizes that many free angents would NEVER sign with them, and their best shot at a premier PG like marbury is through a trade.

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
I think Sweetney will develop into a very solid player for the Knicks but i don't think he will ever develop into a dominant low post player that teams are forced to double team.

NYKnicks15

Starter
we arent...he has a little ways to go tho w/ fouling and conditioning but look at his stats for the Utah game 30 minutes, 6-7 shooting, 9 rebounds and 15 points...not too shabby

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
he definetely deserves more minutes. i think we should trade away kurt thomas to make more room for sweetney to grow.

portland is supposedly getting sick of darius miles (he got into an argument with mo cheeks). how about:

kurt thomas, vin baker and tim thomas for darius miles and rahim.

i guess portland wouldnt wanna do it, but u never know - theres always suckers out there, and sometimes u can get a decent deal. maybe they are really sick of miles, and feel like they wouldnt be able to resign rahim anyway, so why not get kurt thomas at a decent price. and tim thomas has some potential and his contract will expire soon anyway. id do the trade from the knicks point of view.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
and then maybe we could trade away rahim and try to get some draft picks in return for him - maybe some contending team that wants to win now that needs a good PF/SF and only needs to pay him the salary for the rest of the season will give up something for him - like a first round draft pick or a decent young player who they have given up on or something like that, along with a contract that expires at the end of the season (to make the salaries match).

NYKnicks15

Starter
good idea, and honestly its something theyd do. Portland said they are looking for anything they can get for Rahim. Plus Miles is someone they want to get rid of i believe.

Rahim would be good bait. who knows maybe A-Town will want him back. Expiring contract that maybe they can sign back to replace Walker who they are trying to trade away OR just let his contract run out. who knows. and Atlanta would be a great 1st round pick to get i believe they are 10-37!

but is it worth getting Miles big contract? plus hed add to the list of ppl we cant trade ex. Crawford (contractual reasons...ex. Houston (health/age) and then Miles for his attitude...but then again proclaimed "bad boys" do thrive in NY.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
its true that miles just be another tim thomas. but i think hes a little more athletic and seems to play a little harder. and hes a lot younger and could still develop into a great player, while tim thomas seems like he'll never achieve his potential. if you do a head-to-head comparison, miles is a little bit better in every category, except free throw percentage. i guess id bet on him, hes be a slight upgrade, we'd get younger and more athletic, he'd play well with marbury (i can picture some backdoor cuts and alleyoop dunks), and wed get rid of that sloth tim thomas.

rahim is an upgrade over kurt thomas. and we could either keep him this season or trade him for draft picks like i proposed. if we want to give sweetney some more time to develop maybe we can keep rahim for the rest of the season. but, id rather just give sweetney the experience now, since we're not going anywhere anyway this season.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
i was just looking at nbadraft.net

and hakim warrick out of syracuse is projected to go 16th. that guy has loads of potential. if he's 16th, then the guys ahead of him who im not that familiar with must be even better. i dont care what anybody says about this being a weak draft. we should actually take advantage of people that say or think that and try to maybe get one or two more draft picks for the first round this year. im willing to bet anything there will be some real studs comming out this year. we'll see that i was right in a few years.

NYKnicks15

Starter
if we pick Hakim Warrick it will be one of the happiest days for me. I think we will end up going with some European project because we always do and fail...unlike Nene who we traded with Camby?! STUPID LAYDEN...anyways hakim can play PF/SF, i love his play, ive seen him play in person im a HUGE SU fan. the only thing better is if we get both him and Macnamara (even tho hes a junior)

NYKnicks15

Starter
and I have two statements to add that I just remembered....

ONE-when we traded Ewing we got acquired Glen Rice, Luc Longley, Travis Knight, Vernon Maxwell, Lazaro Borrell, Vladimir Stepania, two 2001 first-round draft picks and two 2001 second-round draft picks.....the two second round picks were Michael Wright and Eric Chenowith BUT where did our 2 first rounds go? cause we surely didnt use them. we prolly traded them away but to who?

TWO-Has anyone seen the NBA League pass commercial where this guy is sitting in a chair watching a basketball game. He mutters angrily "come one Lebron" then a vase falls on his head and he dies....first theres never an opportunity to yell come on lebron hes always excellent but besides for that and most importantly HE IS WATCHING A INDIANA PACERS VS DENVER NUGGETS GAME!!!!!! UGHHHH i hate that commercial :lol:

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
I think working out a deal with Portland for Miles and Shareef is the smartest move the Knicks can make, they have players and contracts that would interest the Blazers and would be doing the them a favour by taking Miles off them.