Porzingis blows off exit meeting

tiger0330

Legend
Zinger better report to training camp looking like this:

attachment.php

and not like this (Greek Freak rookie year)

attachment.php

Attachments

• greekfreakGiannis.jpg
    greekfreakGiannis.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 35
  • giannis_antetokounmpo_174.jpg
    giannis_antetokounmpo_174.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 37

mafra

Legend
I don't know, with his stubbornness to shot threes, and his inability to play a full season, along with his "agents" (brother) comment about media pressure and his freedom to decide his next move in his career.... If I was Phil, I would be sniffing around to see what sort of return I could get for Porzingis.

Broadway

All Star
I don't know, with his stubbornness to shot threes, and his inability to play a full season, along with his "agents" (brother) comment about media pressure and his freedom to decide his next move in his career.... If I was Phil, I would be sniffing around to see what sort of return I could get for Porzingis.

I said I'd give him a free pass if he works out like a mad man and with the caveat of having someone from the Knicks organization going out to see him. Guys after reading this commentary no question this will be a fail. Free Pass is off the table. I'm not a fan of it anyway and on top of this he has the nerve to press to play for his home country, he's gonna be burned out. Yes Mafra agreed he needs to be put on the block at the minimum during draft night..sorry we can't be having this crap happening all over again, where a player is trying to dictate to the franchise. Enough is Enough!

mafra

Legend
Amen. It's one thing to make a stand for the locker room cred.... stick up for Melo.... but to be defiant and play for Latvia, when he can't stay healthy for NYK? Then, in top of that, for his brother-agent to suggest KP can dictate his own fate when his rookie contact comes up....

I'd work SAC and PHI hard and see if they'll make a deal.

paris401

Starter
the inmates run the asylum...if phil can bad-mouth Me-Lo all season, it stands to reason that KP and/or his bro can make whatever comments they want... as to playin for Latvia... why not... if his contract allows, he is free to play...

this is the new nba... no long term attachments for either party... the days of tim Duncan n others are over...

tiger0330

Legend
So Longstaff is Porzingis's personal coach according to his brother. Longstaff is 5'9", so how does he teach him big man skills, pretty ridiculous and confirms to me the Knicks suck as a developmental organization.

I'd rather see this with KP.

attachment.php

Than this

attachment.php

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 29
  • longstaff.jpg
    longstaff.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 29

jimkcchief88

All Star
the inmates run the asylum...if phil can bad-mouth Me-Lo all season, it stands to reason that KP and/or his bro can make whatever comments they want... as to playin for Latvia... why not... if his contract allows, he is free to play...

this is the new nba... no long term attachments for either party... the days of tim Duncan n others are over...

Sound similar to how DRose managed his trade outta Chicago: couldn't stay healthy and his brother/agent talked too much. Kinda of funny how PJAx only leg to stand on is crumbling now. But I agree if you treat your "Superstar" and team leader badly an insurrection ensues. You don't even how to treat Charles Oakley and have him arrested for speaking his mind. The league needs to step in again and teach this "organization" some manners. But what do you expect from a franchise run by a spoiled child. And PJAx was validated with the contract extension so business as usual. I don't blame the Zinger. hell I would want to get as far away from these idiots as possible and get back to having fun playing ball again.

and1

Rotation player
So Longstaff is Porzingis's personal coach according to his brother. Longstaff is 5'9", so how does he teach him big man skills, pretty ridiculous and confirms to me the Knicks suck as a developmental organization.

I'd rather see this with KP.

attachment.php

Than this

attachment.php

yeah, this is pretty funny. the only thing i can think of is maybe teaching him how to better protect the ball from being stolen from him by smaller guys? but hopefully he has more than just 1 personal coach LMAO because this... this doesn't really make much sense.

The impression that I got was that Longstaff is just going to be hanging around the Latvian team to protect the Knicks' "team interests" when it comes to Porzingis. I think that they're more worried about a Yao Ming situation where a guy gets injured than they are about Porzingis' development while playing with the Latvian team. I think that Porzingis needs to pursue on his own the development that everyone wants from him this offseason. I don't think, regardless of who they send to be with him, the Knicks have the coaching personnel to develop anybody like Ante was developed last offseason.

pat

Starter

That's totally irrelevant. Geschwinder taught Dirk. He is not a big man.

I think people are overthinking this. Porzingis will only be overseas for a few weeks. Longstaff is going because people, including Porzingis, like him and because he's someone that the franchise is willing to lose for a few weeks.

tiger0330

Legend
I think people are overthinking this. Porzingis will only be overseas for a few weeks. Longstaff is going because people, including Porzingis, like him and because he's someone that the franchise is willing to lose for a few weeks.
Like you say htr10, he's there to protect the Knicks interests. The CBA has safeguards on player contracts for off-season stuff, I knew it included bans against things like motorcycling but I didn't know it can limit how much a player can do for their national teams.

My issue is Longstaff being the developmental coach for KP, I'd prefer a big man coach for him like what Amare did in the off-season with Hakeem. If Zinger comes back shooting 3's and thinking he's a 7'3" version of Steph, I'm going to scream next season.

Like you say htr10, he's there to protect the Knicks interests. The CBA has safeguards on player contracts for off-season stuff, I knew it included bans against things like motorcycling but I didn't know it can limit how much a player can do for their national teams.

My issue is Longstaff being the developmental coach for KP, I'd prefer a big man coach for him like what Amare did in the off-season with Hakeem. If Zinger comes back shooting 3's and thinking he's a 7'3" version of Steph, I'm going to scream next season.

...you might want to start soundproofing your walls now

Kiyaman

Legend
Im sure there are many reason for KP to make a stance by missing the team final meeting of the season ..
What was KP real reason for missing the final team meeting?
My number one reason KP should be upset with the Knicks organization should be the POOR-POOR coaching- development KP receive the past two seasons.
KP were a one-trick pony when we draft him .. KP were not NBA ready physically, mentally, nor athletically for the role the Knicks gave to KP in his rookie season.
KP were to raw, and to clueless to be a NBA starter in his rookie season, plus none of KP many flaws as a starter/finisher during his rookie season were corrected in the offseason to improve KP 2nd season performance .. KP performance regress!
All the so-call New York media hype KP receive as the future Knicks star from a couple of rookies highlight plays shooting 3s and a put back dunk doesn't speak volume on KP non-post performance, low b.ball IQ of knowing teammates, and how to play 4th quarter NBA b.ball picks/screens/box-out/stops/passing/rebounding/and easy 2 pt shots when your 7.3'

I believe coach Fisher were FIRED because Fisher kept demanding paint protection defense from Melo n KP in the triangle-offense, something both Melo n KP didn't put any defensive-effort in their performance during the 2015-16 32 win season nor did the two players put any paint defense effort during the 2016-17 31-win season.
The Knicks did not play DEFENSE during the 82 games in the 2016-17 season having Melo average 35 minute per game, and KP average 33 minute per game .. the two frontcourt big-men are supposed to be the first players to initiate DEFENSE in the game so teammates will follow.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Ian begley reports:

Several teams reached out to the New York Knicks to talk about possible trades for Kristaps Porzingis in the days after he skipped his exit meeting with team president Phil Jackson and general manager Steve Mills, league sources told ESPN.

It is unclear whether the discussions led to any substantial trade parameters. Teams were inquiring about trading for Porzingis, 21, after he showed his frustration with the direction of the franchise by skipping the meeting.

and1

Rotation player
Ian begley reports:

Several teams reached out to the New York Knicks to talk about possible trades for Kristaps Porzingis in the days after he skipped his exit meeting with team president Phil Jackson and general manager Steve Mills, league sources told ESPN.

It is unclear whether the discussions led to any substantial trade parameters. Teams were inquiring about trading for Porzingis, 21, after he showed his frustration with the direction of the franchise by skipping the meeting.

well that's what a team president is supposed to do, right? chase away his most important players (you know, the ones he signed to a NTC and actually drafted himself) in the hopes that he'll be able to collect players in return who will be more easily manipulated?
seriously though, this doesn't necessarily mean that he's chasing KP away, but he's definitely creating a destabilized look to the organization/team. this kind of turmoil is not making for a solid foundation. it won't matter who you draft or sign this summer if the foundation is shaky. but we'll see just how shaky it is or if this is just a bunch of hype.

tiger0330

Legend
Probably has more to do with PJ saying KP is not untradeable, his name always came up in trade discussions but he's been untouchable until now. Rookie salary means you go after draft choices and other young players. Jaylen Brown, this years top Boston pick and a couple of other young players or draft picks for him. Watching them in the playoffs, they need a big man badly. Ainge would probably go for KP over Melo imo.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Probably has more to do with PJ saying KP is not untradeable, his name always came up in trade discussions but he's been untouchable until now. Rookie salary means you go after draft choices and other young players. Jaylen Brown, this years top Boston pick and a couple of other young players or draft picks for him. Watching them in the playoffs, they need a big man badly. Ainge would probably go for KP over Melo imo.
Washington Post Article I read suggested exactly this though not mentioning Boston, trading Porzingis for the top pick this year and having two picks for this year to completely reboot the franchise. The writer did say that Knicks fans might not like the popular Porzingis traded and would only intensify the hate against Phil. Should the Knicks trade Porzingis for the number 1 this year?

www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-l...ipped-knicks-meetings/?utm_term=.b30abced7496

Last edited:

CoolClyde

the exit meeting was not a requirement. anything that has been said about Porzingis' unhappiness with Knicks, or with Phil, has been made up by the media, and picked up as fact by writers, blogger and fans who jump on any anti-Phil supposition. Don't believe the hype of the hypotenuse or the hypothesis of the hypocrites. It's all bull$hit.

Porzingis is the cornerstone of this franchise for at least the next 2 years, which fits in well with Uncle Phil's contractual obligations to deliver a winner to NYC. If the Knicks don't make the playoffs next year, and don't see marked improvement in year 5 of PJ's reign, then it's time for Porzingis to consider his next steps.

For now, Porzingis is better than any #1 pick, and the Knicks, upon trading Me-lo and dropping Rose, will become a better team defensively and intellectually, and KP's game will improve as well.