Official Free Agency Thread

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks' newest pickup, SF Michael Beasley, wants people to have more respect for his game as he heads to New York.

The former No. 2 overall pick believes his lack of minutes on the floor has warranted misconceptions about his game. Beasley told The Post's Marc Berman that if his time on the court increases, he will show the world that he can still bring the game that landed him a top draft pick.

"I'll bring what they saw in college," Beasley said, reminiscing his days of stardom at Kansas State. "I just need the opportunity to show that. Look at my nine-year career, I've always been close to a point a minute. I've always been a walking bucket. Nobody can stop me, hasn't stopped me my last nine years. Every time I've touched the ball, the defender's scared. I'm at the point of my career I'm just tired of not getting the acknowledgement of being who I am."

I guess this will be Beasley last stop in the NBA .. having a trade worth of a 3rd round pick

Kiyaman

Legend
Tony Allen has signed with the Pelicans. Can't wait for Pelicans vs. Knicks in the Finals.

https://clutchpoints.com/breaking-tony-allen-finalizing-1-year-deal-pelicans/

I did not know Tony Allen was a FA this offseason .. Pelicans signed 2 veteran playoff experience players in Rondo/T.Allen to lead the Pelicans Twin-Towers to a winning regular season plus some postseason experience in the 2017-18 season.

Here's my outlook on the Western conference postseason teams in 2017-18 ....
1- GSW
2- Spurs
3- Rocks
4- OKC
5- Pelicans
6- Wolves
7- Clippers
8- Lakers

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Jarrett Jack signs with the Knicks according to Hoopshype.
I don't know about this. It might be a great signing though because it'd give Ntilikina two veteran PGs. Steph Curry praised Jack when they played together. I'd like the other younger guards to get minutes too. I wonder who gets cut/sent to the D-League.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I did not know Tony Allen was a FA this offseason .. Pelicans signed 2 veteran playoff experience players in Rondo/T.Allen to lead the Pelicans Twin-Towers to a winning regular season plus some postseason experience in the 2017-18 season.

Here's my outlook on the Western conference postseason teams in 2017-18 ....
1- GSW
2- Spurs
3- Rocks
4- OKC
5- Pelicans
6- Wolves
7- Clippers
8- Lakers
I think Pelicans might be in the top 4, definitely 5. Any chemistry problem they would have had was massively improved by the addition of Rondo. And their defense also has gotten better with Allen.

This NBA off-season has been AWESOME! I'm looking forward to ALL those teams and a bunch of others. Kings (Carter, Z-Bo, and George Hill), Celtics (Hayward, Kyrie), Cavs (Rose, Isaiah Thomas), Utah Jazz (Rubio), Hornets (I always liked them and they added Howard), Knicks (well duh!), and maybe others.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Jarrett Jack signs with the Knicks according to Hoopshype.

First things first...lol at the Baker contract

Now that I got that out of the way, this kind of feels like David kahn is running our team. Like how many mentors does Baby Knits need and how many point guards do we need?

Baker/Sessions/Jack/Knits...Jack has blown his knee up like 3 times already

RunningJumper

Super Moderator

Now that I got that out of the way, this kind of feels like David kahn is running our team. Like how many mentors does Baby Knits need and how many point guards do we need?

Well it's partially guaranteed. Hey, at least they're trying to develop one of their young players unlike what it seems like they were doing in years past.

mafra

Legend
Jack signing probably means we are settled into starting season with Melo on the roster....

See if team gets off to a nice start and see where they are come trade deadline....

Maybe the goal is to surround Melo with vet guards and youth and hope he showcases scoring prowess in the JH system.... maybe that makes him a more attractive trade asset.

and1

Rotation player
don't forget that coach horns likes multiple guards on the floor. we're going to be seeing a lot of small lineups this season with melo playing a lot of 4.
jack and sessions can make for some nice mentoring for nitty and baker. i'm liking the idea of having lee as a mentor to dotson too.
tell you what, i'm starting to actually get kind of excited for pre-season games. i want to see these guys duke it out for playing time.

tiger0330

Legend
Jack signing probably means we are settled into starting season with Melo on the roster....

See if team gets off to a nice start and see where they are come trade deadline....

Maybe the goal is to surround Melo with vet guards and youth and hope he showcases scoring prowess in the JH system.... maybe that makes him a more attractive trade asset.
I suggested telling Melo they would be cutting his playing time before training camp begins in an effort to persuade him to waive his NTC to other teams besides Houston. He knows and the Knicks know his future isn't in NY, I'd rather trade him now than mid-season and benching him like D'Antoni did with Marbury I'm sure would go a long way to convincing him that he should be looking at other options besides Houston.

I suggested telling Melo they would be cutting his playing time before training camp begins in an effort to persuade him to waive his NTC to other teams besides Houston. He knows and the Knicks know his future isn't in NY, I'd rather trade him now than mid-season and benching him like D'Antoni did with Marbury I'm sure would go a long way to convincing him that he should be looking at other options besides Houston.

The longer this goes on, the more I wonder if Melo doesn't play the whole season with us. Is anything going to be different at the All-Star break with Melo refusing to waive his NTC for no one except Houston and Houston only able to offer a Ryan Anderson-centered package? If he does play the whole season with us, I think he logs his normal minutes and makes the All-Star team. With PJ long gone, I think we have to be open to the reality that this season may be "business as usual" for the Melo era Knicks.

If we do keep him all season, we better hope he doesn't get injured, because then, worst possible case scenario, he picks up his player option with us and we are stuck with him all next season too.

ESPN story being discussed right now is that Lebron and his wife were seen touring an LA school. Yeah, if I was Melo, I wouldn't want to be traded to Cleveland either.

tiger0330

Legend

Baker better bring it, the kid makes more than Sessions and Jack combined. Mills signing THJ and Baker to those contracts was outright stupid, who were we competing against esp for Baker? Personally I would have cleaned house and dumped Mills along with PJ.

Broadway

All Star
The longer this goes on, the more I wonder if Melo doesn't play the whole season with us. Is anything going to be different at the All-Star break with Melo refusing to waive his NTC for no one except Houston and Houston only able to offer a Ryan Anderson-centered package? If he does play the whole season with us, I think he logs his normal minutes and makes the All-Star team. With PJ long gone, I think we have to be open to the reality that this season may be "business as usual" for the Melo era Knicks.

If we do keep him all season, we better hope he doesn't get injured, because then, worst possible case scenario, he picks up his player option with us and we are stuck with him all next season too.

We're going to regret having him on this roster more than ever before...mark my words. I stand by the fact moving Melo before the season starts whatever it took to get it done was an absolute must. The NBA is currently talking lottery reform starting in 2019 so if we don't cash in on this 2018 pick we may be fudged for all eternity

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star

My apologies to "Chason Randle" for leaving him off this stout list of PGs...you deserve better fam!

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
With MB on this roster, Melo better not get more than 25 minutes per game. Maybe a fresher Melo helps him in the 4th.

You never know what injuries might arise.... again, can't hurt to wait until Feb if you don't feel HOU has anything to offer.

Broadway

All Star
lol when I mentioned David Kahn I knew I was on to something but what I didn't cover for was the PLOT TWIST...:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Beasley is like a "broken doppelganger" of Melo and with the two of them on this team it's gonna be one of the most MUCKED up seasons we've ever witnessed

lol when I mentioned David Kahn I knew I was on to something but what I didn't cover for was the PLOT TWIST...:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Beasley is like a "broken doppelganger" of Melo and with the two of them on this team it's gonna be one of the most MUCKED up seasons we've ever witnessed

Time to go back to the D'Antoni era-type basketball. Try to win games 125 - 124 with an uptempo offense and no defense to speak of. At least it will inflate our guys' stats.

mafra

Legend
Dwyane Wade and the Bulls have agreed to a contract buyout.
Wade was owed $23.8 million but he'll leave approximately $8 million on the table in the buyout, which allows him to sign elsewhere as a free agent. With training camps imminent it shouldn't take long for Wade to strike a new deal -- Adrian Wojnarowski reports that the Cavs are the "clear frontrunner," but the Spurs, Heat and Thunder are also mentioned as possibilities.
Source: K.C. Johnson on Twitter Sep 24 - 9:37 PM