Official Free Agency Thread

mafra

Legend
Well, the draft is a week away.... but, after that, its free agency time.... with that, here's this:

Derrick Rose's agent, B.J. Armstrong, said his client wants to re-sign with the Knicks.

"Derrick loves New York and wants to be there," Armstrong said. "We've expressed that to them and been very consistent about it. Whether it happens is on them; all we can do is be clear." It's not clear if the interest is mutual, but Armstrong hinted that Rose would also be willing to take a pay cut to stay in New York. If the Knicks can address their point guard position with the No. 8 pick in the draft, it's hard to imagine them bringing Rose back. On a side note, Rose is reportedly "healthy and working out" after undergoing a left knee arthroscopy back in April.

(Rotoworld)

mafra

Legend
Personally, I would be on board with keeping Rose.... especially
If he takes a "pay cut" and signs a team-friendly deal.

With Rose on board NYK has more leverage in the Melo drama.... Phil could easily just keep Melo and make a run at playoffs this season.... And, if we find a trade partner for Melo, Rose helps alleviate the pressure off KP....

Rose is also young enough to be a near-future piece (and perhaps a tradeable asset).

paris401

Starter
if we just missed (haha) the playoff's this year with rose and Me-Lo, what makes u think we will improve next year.... rose is always just a sneeze away from the DL... and Me-Lo's knee's aint getting younger... ahhh but hope springs eternal....

mafra

Legend
if we just missed (haha) the playoff's this year with rose and Me-Lo, what makes u think we will improve next year.... rose is always just a sneeze away from the DL... and Me-Lo's knee's aint getting younger... ahhh but hope springs eternal....

To be fair, KP getting morphing from borderline all-star Nov-Dec into a rarely seen dodo bird after Jan kind of hurt our playoff chances.... a freakish collape in close games kind of sapped the will of this team too.

Still, call me crazy, but I would take Rose and Melo over losing both for nothing. Heck, with them we have equal shot at lottery or playoffs, so not like having them will hurt out draft positioning.

Knixy

Benchwarmer
It's all about surrounding KP with the right pieces and I don't think Rose is a good pg for him. They don't have chemistry on the court. I'd let Rose walk and sign another vet like Livingston.

tiger0330

Legend
It's all about surrounding KP with the right pieces and I don't think Rose is a good pg for him. They don't have chemistry on the court. I'd let Rose walk and sign another vet like Livingston.
I doubt Livingstone wants to come to the Knicks but signing DRose definitely not. Doesn't play D, doesn't pass the rock, bad fit with KP and had another knee procedure, what more do you need not to sign the guy. PJ deserves to be fired if he re-signs him.

Broadway

All Star
I doubt Livingstone wants to come to the Knicks but signing DRose definitely not. Doesn't play D, doesn't pass the rock, bad fit with KP and had another knee procedure, what more do you need not to sign the guy. PJ deserves to be fired if he re-signs him.

I really don't get the D-Rose bring back mentality. Look I understand fans want to see a respectable product out on the floor but we have to see the bigger picture here. As many young players we can bring into the organization the better. Those we do, need to have the lions share of whatever we're trying to implement and accomplish, therefore

No to Rose
No to Rubio
No to Melo(although circumstances exist)

I'm okay bringing stop gaps in like a Daren Collison or Patty Mills but let's find our young mainstays as quick as possible(so they can grow together) and stop with the shuckin and jivin

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Also the Free Agent I'd like us to go after if we have to swing for the fences is Kentavious Caldwell Pope and put pressure on the Pistons because they are way over the Cap.

Kiyaman

Legend
Do anyone see Phil signing a decent FA PG in the offseason for the Knicks? I don't!
Not as long as Melo's in New York running and controlling the offensive-plays for 40 minute each game, the FA PG don't want to keep getting blame for losses Iso-Melo causes .. recall Jennings n Udrih.
Nine out of ten Phil will be force to resign FA Rose for his veteran experience to go with SG-Lee veteranship in the backcourt for the rookie PG selected with the 8th pick to come off the bench with Holiday.

I'm clueless of which one of the two rookie PG Baker/Randle that Phil will keep but both their talents dont add up to Galloways performance, plus their are some late 2nd round PG in the 2017 draft that skills n IQ n passing-skills are much better than Baker/Randle by a longshot Frank Mason or Deonte Burton

Kiyaman

Legend
Well, the draft is a week away.... but, after that, its free agency time.... with that, here's this:

Derrick Rose's agent, B.J. Armstrong, said his client wants to re-sign with the Knicks.

"Derrick loves New York and wants to be there," Armstrong said. "We've expressed that to them and been very consistent about it. Whether it happens is on them; all we can do is be clear." It's not clear if the interest is mutual, but Armstrong hinted that Rose would also be willing to take a pay cut to stay in New York. If the Knicks can address their point guard position with the No. 8 pick in the draft, it's hard to imagine them bringing Rose back. On a side note, Rose is reportedly "healthy and working out" after undergoing a left knee arthroscopy back in April.
(Rotoworld)

We gave up two promising Knick players in Rolo/Grant for Rose/Holiday's one yr contract ....
Rolo n Grant played a nice part in helping the Bulls Butler/Wade/Rondo make the playoffs.
Sorry to say .. we have no choice other than sign both Rose/Holiday to a contract that will be easy trade-bait the following season. Hoping for Rose n Noah to get their playoff act together next season to guide our 8th pick to some playoff experience next season.
Or we could sign both Holiday brothers for their same-page balling and let Rose walk.
Or do a sign and trade with N.O giving them a scorer in Rose for Jrue Holiday new contract.
N.O. could have their eyes on resigning Jrue, plus handing his brother a nice offer-sheet.

The FA market has some nice pieces .. but its up to Phil n Mill to do something bout the 2017-18 cap-space in the offseason ....
Here's our 2017-18 salary situation (courtesy of Basketball Insiders and The Vertical)

1) Carmelo Anthony $26,243,760
2) Joakim Noah $17,765,000
3)Courtney Lee $11,747,890
4) Lance Thomas $6,655,325 (we should trade)
5) Kristaps Porzingis $4,503,600
6) Kyle O'Quinn $4,087,500
7) Mindaugas Kuzminskas $3,025,035 (we should trade)
8) Guillermo Hernangomez $1,435,750
Guaranteed Total: $75,463,860

Ron Baker $1,512,611 (Qualifying Offer - Gilbert Arenas)
Justin Holiday $1,471,382 (Resign Early Bird)
8th Draft Pick $3,501,120
Roster Charge x1 $815,615
Total Incl Holds $82,764,588
Salary Cap $101,000,000

Available Cap Space $18,235,412
Non-Guaranteed Salaries:
Maurice Ndour $1,312,611
Marshall Plumlee $1,312,611
Chasson Randle $1,312,611

Dwayne Wade picks up his 24 million dollar option with the Bulls.

Pau Gasol does not pick up his 16 million option giving the Spurs the ability to resign him to a long-term deal while making possible opening up the cap space to sign someone like Chris Paul.

mafra

Legend
If Melo had any cache or if Paul and Lebron had any balls.... CP3 would sign with NY this summer and then Lebron would opt out and sign with NY next summer.

If the banana buddies delivered, and won in NY together, given all the dysfunction swirling around NYK org.... they would take their reps to legendary status.

So.... do they all end up with Lakers? Heat? Clippers? It Knicks?

Unless I'm mistaken, we need to dump salary to have room for a max contract. Even if we do dump salary, in a Melo trade for example, reading online sure makes it sound like PJ has turned NYC into an undesirable free agent destination. Last year we were supposedly building something with Melo, KP, and trading for Rose, and even then we were only able to get Noah, on what looks like one of the worst contracts in the NBA, and Courtney Lee.

So, suppose we do trade Melo to free up salary, it seems highly unlikely a Knicks team without Melo and Rose is going to really lure those other star players to come play for us. Seems to me like the best move this offseason is for PJ to stuff the Knicks' wallet back into Dolan's jazz bag and just take our lumps like men back into the lottery in 2018.

As far as the rest of the league, here are my early predictions:
- I think Chris Paul finds his way to San Antonio now that Pau has allowed them to free up some cap room.
- Lebron won't leave Cleveland again.
- The Lakers somehow put together enough to trade for PG13 (not sure how yet).
- Boston somehow makes it work to get Gordon Hayward.
- Melo and PJ exchange progressively more obtuse tweets indirectly directed at each other until the NBA intervenes and forces us to trade him for a 1st round pick to...I don't know...let's say...Dallas.

tiger0330

Legend
AA 2.0?? I wonder if he would think about coming back. Not saying we need him because we're like the Kings rebuilding with young players and we could use a vet PG before someone like AA but I'm curious what he thought of the experience of playing in NY and whether he would come back.

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
AA 2.0?? I wonder if he would think about coming back. Not saying we need him because we're like the Kings rebuilding with young players and we could use a vet PG before someone like AA but I'm curious what he thought of the experience of playing in NY and whether he would come back.

That'd be great if we want our younger guys to not take any shots.

Broadway

All Star

AA is so full of yuck and he didn't like it here, no thanks

Broadway

All Star
Ian Bailey reporting NYK and Jeff Teague have mutual interest.

He so awful but we don't have many options though. He definitely needs New York for his career sakes. He's the kind of guard who may lose his spot to who backs him up. He's so bad the Pacers are toying with the idea of moving Lance to point guard.

Last edited: