8th Pick .. 6.5 PG Frank Ntikilina aka Frank Nitty

I saw this game and DSJ was great, man he's gonna be so good if he can avoid injury. Really uncanny, incredible moxy, and he will make SC highlights often. He could possibly the best "POINT GUARD" in this draft. His court awareness is off the charts. Meanwhile Harrison Barnes was and quite possibly is TRASH. This guy has been given the keys to be DA MAN and he's a 4th, 3rd best type option at best. Too bad for them Seth Curry is hurt because their back court will be a tough cover

Dennis Schoerder was the handful last night though. Mavs had no answer and he wasn't guarded by DSJ on most possessions. Mavs switch D because of their lack of size. The Hawks believe it or not are going to be more competitive than same fans give credit for. They play hard and they have some athletes on their team. Really of Motley Crue of blue collar with some highlight flashes here and there every night is what you'll see.

BTW DJS is the youngest player to drop 10ast in a season debut. League Pass is free for the week I think for those who may not have been aware

DSJ not guarding the other team?s PG confuses me. DSJ is only 6?2? with short reach. Big size mismatch if he is guarding anyone else on the court. Letting your PG get switched off onto bigger guys is something they should be trying to avoid more than most teams. If DSJ can?t consistently take the other team?s PG, then they will struggle defensively on a nightly basis. Maybe they?re willing to accept this, but man, would I be looking to exploit this if I?m any team they?re facing.

If Ntilikina goes 16 and 10 in a single game this season, I will be happy. My offensive expectations for him are not high. Defensively though, he needs to be able to contain both guard positions and potentially smaller wings to start proving his worth in my eyes.

Broadway

All Star
DSJ not guarding the other team’s PG confuses me. DSJ is only 6’2” with short reach. Big size mismatch if he is guarding anyone else on the court. Letting your PG get switched off onto bigger guys is something they should be trying to avoid more than most teams. If DSJ can’t consistently take the other team’s PG, then they will struggle defensively on a nightly basis. Maybe they’re willing to accept this, but man, would I be looking to exploit this if I’m any team they’re facing.

If Ntilikina goes 16 and 10 in a single game this season, I will be happy. My offensive expectations for him are not high. Defensively though, he needs to be able to contain both guard positions and potentially smaller wings to start proving his worth in my eyes.

Not many PGs play defense in this league. Not making any excuse for players who don't play D just pointing out you could find defensive flaws across this league. Most of the young crop of guards entering the league this yr don't stand out as defensive stalwarts except maybe Mitchell and Knits.

Defense from DSJ is not what jumps out at me, could be his biggest weakness, who knows although he's managed to get stls(presea). His size is for the most part a non factor except on the switches and when he tries to finish at the rim but I feel it's really a Mavs MO

Calderon
Felton
Terry
Curry
Ferrell
Berrea
Ellis
Harris
Mayo
Nelson

Point out the defensive guard stud from above? All either...short in stature, non defenders, non point guards...yet the Mavs won a lot of games playing with these guys at some point in time(except with Felton). I think it's just what they do, not saying I'm desirous of this operation more an observation of history.

DSJ comes into the league with no more or less red flags than any other young prospect rookie. What I did see from him is disspell(for 1 game) the notion he can't play point guard and he was standing next to Carlisle often allowing himself to be coached up. One game doesn't close all cases either

mafra

Legend
DSJ's first points were a sweet dunk; he did something no rookie PG has ever done in their debut; he would've had 15 assist if Dirk and Barnes hit a few more shots....

Ntikilina shoots 2 air balls, commits a foolish turnover, allows an offensive rebound.... other than a hard pick on Adams.... looked awful.

Darn you PHil!!!!

Rookie Kareem Hunt fumbled on his 1st career possession this season. Chiefs should have given up? NFL leading rusher lost cause before getting his chance?

Ramona Shelbourne was told she scared children and also adults. Caused nightmares in death row inmates. Did ESPN give up on her? No, she?s on the TV right now doing her thing. Frank can do it too.

tiger0330

Legend
Lonzo Ball got minutes and was bad last night. Career over? Not still a generational talent?
I'm not sold on Lonzo but like DSJ, Fox, Fultz and Simmons he has a stickout quality, that ability as a playmaker with those laser passes. I haven't seen anything like that from Frank other than he can't stay on the floor.

I'm not sold on Lonzo but like DSJ, Fox, Fultz and Simmons he has a stickout quality, that ability as a playmaker with those laser passes. I haven't seen anything like that from Frank other than he can't stay on the floor.

Yeah, see my above post. I?m done with Frank too now. Who do we like in the 2018 draft? When?s that next Ball kid coming out? Let?s get him.

Broadway

All Star
Yeah, see my above post. I’m done with Frank too now. Who do we like in the 2018 draft? When’s that next Ball kid coming out? Let’s get him.

If you go to the Draft Thread I've posted the prospect getting the most Buzz...Doncic

But there's also Porter/Bagley/Peters as of now, more names will surface

tiger0330

Legend
DSJ swollen knee and won't play tonight.

Mavericks rookie point guard Dennis Smith Jr. was a late scratch for Friday's game against the Kings due to left knee effusion, a buildup of fluid in the knee.

mafra

Legend
NEW YORK -- Just a few hours before the Knicks tipped of the 2017-18 NBA season with a 19-point loss to Carmelo Anthony and the Oklahoma City Thunder, Michigan State sophomore forward Miles Bridges spent time at Madison Square Garden for Big Ten Media Day.

Bridges is an explosive 6-foot-6 forward who opted to return to Michigan State for his sophomore season instead of being a likely lottery pick in this year's NBA Draft. He's now projected as the No. 6 pick in 2018 via ESPN.com.

So with Bridges in the Garden for Media Day and the Big Ten Tournament beginning Feb. 28, how would he feel about potentially being drafted by the Knicks?

"It's going to be great," Bridges told me on The 4 Quarters Podcast. "If the Knicks draft me, I'll be extremely happy. It's a great organization. I know it's been going through a lot in the past few years but every team goes through that and at some point it's going to be a turnaround point. So if I were part of that turnaround point, then I would be happy."

The Preseason Big Ten Player of the Year, Bridges is focusing primarily on trying to win a national championship as a sophomore with his teammates. But he can't help but look at some of his classmates like Phoenix's Josh Jackson and Sacramento's De'Aaron Fox in the NBA. Bridges said he would prefer to go to an NBA team that is rebuilding, as opposed to a super-team like Golden State, Houston, Oklahoma City or Cleveland.

Bridges averaged 16.9 points and 8.3 rebounds last season.

"Bridges is arguably the best athlete in this draft and plays a coveted position as a two-way forward who can guard all over the floor," ESPN's Jonathan Givony wrote. "He converted 39 percent of his 3-pointers as a freshman and is making strides with his ball-handling and playmaking abilities as well. After passing up the chance to be a lottery pick in last year's draft, Bridges will be expected to show significant improvement while leading Michigan State on a deep NCAA tournament run."

Bridges is the first of a parade of projected lottery picks who will play at the Garden during the 2017-18 college basketball season, and you can bet more of them will be asked similar questions.

Duke features 6-11 freshman forward Marvin Bagley III, a potential No. 1 overall pick, 6-10 freshman forward Wendell Carter Jr. and 6-3 freshman point guard Trevon Duval -- all projected lottery picks. The Blue Devils will be in the Garden Feb. 3 to play St. John's.

Kentucky, which features freshmen wing Hamidou Diallo, freshman forward Kevin Knox and freshman big man Nick Richards, comes to the Garden Dec. 9 to face Monmouth.

Syracuse, UConn, Gonzaga and Villanova all play at the Garden in December, and the Mecca hosts the Big Ten and Big East Tournaments during March Madness.

So expect more and more college players to be asked about the Knicks with the way they are projected to finish.

"The Knicks will not make the playoffs," Shaquille O'Neal said Thursday on TNT. "This is a rebuilding process for the Knicks. They'll probably go 31-51 again this year."

One Garden source said the hope around the Knicks was to "show progress and improvement."

"I don't want to be in the middle of the pack," the source said. "I want to win 20 games and get the No. 1 pick."

Two years ago, of course, the Knicks were in the mix for the No. 1 overall pick, and ended up choosing at No. 4 to get Kristaps Porzingis. This year, they again went the European route to take French point guard Frank Ntilikina at No. 8 -- just ahead of N.C. State freshman point guard Dennis Smith Jr. to Dallas.

Now, assuming the rebuilding Knicks again land in the lottery, they could be in the mix for a player like Bridges.

"Miles is I think somebody special for all college basketball, because he's -- I call him my blue-collar star," Spartans head coach Tom Izzo said. "And he's got the humility and the humbleness of an everyday player and the skills of a very, very good player."

Smiling from ear to ear, Izzo called it a "Christmas present" when he found out Bridges was returning for his sophomore season.

"I got a Christmas present in April when Miles, shockingly to me, decided to come back," he said.

Bridges -- or some other current college star -- could turn out to be the Knicks' Christmas present next June.

Follow @AdamZagoria on Twitter

mafra

Legend
This is exactly why I would seriously consider firing Horny if I were the new GM.

The goal of this season is to win 12 to 20 games and gro the kids.

Instead, Horn benches WHG and hardly plays Ntikilina. Why? Again, who cares about defense? Develop their strengths first.... defense (especially team defense) will come with experience.

Why play Lance Thomas, Sessions, or Lee? Unbelievable.... if this becomes the norm I can his but by Jan.

KP doesn't like him and it's just beginning to look like he's not the right fit for these kids. Not to mention the current GM didn't hire him.

This is exactly why I would seriously consider firing Horny if I were the new GM.

Instead, Horn benches WHG and hardly plays Ntikilina. Why? Again, who cares about defense? Develop their strengths first.... defense (especially team defense) will come with experience.

Why play Lance Thomas, Sessions, or Lee? Unbelievable.... if this becomes the norm I can his but by Jan.

KP doesn't like him and it's just beginning to look like he's not the right fit for these kids. Not to mention the current GM didn't hire him.

My gut reaction is that I agree that Hornacek not playing WHG is a problem. On the other hand, if O?Quinn and Kanter really did work that much harder than WHG in training camp, then you can?t take away from a coach his ability to play the guys who have earned it.

I will say this though, WHG could have gotten us a 1st round pick in trade not that long ago. If we don?t play him and don?t trade him and then do the usual thing where we wait until he has no value to move him, that is going to be a problem for me.

tiger0330

Legend

I'd say the same for Perry. Look for trades for these vets that don't fit the timeline. Get something for them before their contracts expire, most tradeable guys are Lee and LT, lets move them before the deadline. I'd give them minutes to showcase them at the expense of the young 'uns minutes for the first few months. Stockpiling picks is the name of the game now.

I wouldn't worry about Porzingis and the lack of winning, we own the kid and can match any offer when he becomes a FA and I highly doubt he turns down a 150M extension when we offer it to him.

Got to agree about Hornacek, he's been a disappointment, he's not Perry's guy but we're not in win now mode so he probably won't be fired for his record after all Brown is like 70-260 with the Sixers and still has a job.

mafra

Legend
I prefer to see RB, FN, or even Burke over Sessions and Lee. Don't want these vets giving us a few extra meaningless wins.

I understand we hope to trade them, but I would argue that getting a second round pick isn't worth it if it costs us 3-5 spots in the lottery.

The only goal of this year is to get kids work, have them show growth, and procur a top 5 pick.