8th Pick .. 6.5 PG Frank Ntikilina aka Frank Nitty

Kiyaman

Legend
Offensive-Strength .. Frank Nitty could use either hand ..
Left-hand dribble pass dunk ..
Right-hand dribble pass dunk ..
Plus NBA Ready to step to the next level of pro-ball at age 18 ..
Top-10 pick!
GREAT PICK! by the Knicks tonight .. we LACK Defense the past three seasons .. plus we need a player having Frank Nitty defensive-mindset in the 4th quarter to provide STOPS for future WINS. GO Knicks !!!

Yes! I do believe Dallas Coach Rick Carlisle really wanted the 18 yr old Frank Nitty to lead the Mavs future, the Mavs 9th pick selection were the next best PG on the table in DSJ ..
The Wolves coach Thib's wanted his ex-leadership player Butler for the 7th pick, and got it by adding Lavine n Dunn too.

I hope all three Knicks draft picks show up healthy to play all of the summer-league games.

and1

Rotation player
i like the nitty pick too. i don't know how nba-ready he is though. i'll give him a year to adjust to the nba game, i don't have much of a problem with that. but who knows? maybe he'll surprise us.
dotson on the other hand may turn out to be a little more nba ready. i'm not saying he's going to be anything spectacular, but he may turn out to be a solid player for us sooner than later.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It might take a while for Frank Nitty's offense (great nickname btw) to adjust to the NBA game but his defensive impact should be felt immediately

Our backcourt defense has been so damn awful for the last few years that just having a player who will give effort is new. He'll probably be more of a 3 and D player for his first couple years while he works on the pick and roll with Porzingis. He appears to be more athletic than ESPN gives him credit for so hopefully that shows in his game

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Did I just read in this thread where someone called this a GREAT pick By the knicks? LOL wow... ok...

tiger0330

Legend
Jury is still out for me on this kid, I would have preferred Monk or DSJ but he's a heady kid that was selected because he was the best fit for the triangle or as Phil put it a system basketball player. He hasn't been tested playing in that French league as a reserve since older players get preference as the starters, his coach praised him for his D in one of those playoff games but he was guarding a 5'11" ex- DLeaguer that game so we need to see him against better competition. We'll probably get to see him in Summer League but I think the Knicks only play in the Orlando league this year which is not as competitive as Las Vegas so the first good look will be in the pre-season.

Broadway

All Star
All 3 picks will be playing in the Summer League according to Begley. We usually have great Summer League showings from our players. I think Frank Nitty will work if he's surrounded by offensive weapons that play unselfishly and fluidly. He is an APPRENTICE pick, a SAFE pick

I appreciate the mindset of getting a defender especially at this position but keep in mind we brought in Ariza/Douglas/Shumpert/Fields all for the same reasons. The league is actually setup for players to not play defense and I've never seen a player in recent memory dominate defensively as a guard and their offense was average.

Phil picked him because he's a young prospect whom he hopes to mold as a potter does with clay without the pushback. I think Phil is also tired of mainland culture and is heavily vested in offshore prodigies. Looking back at how the draft went, especially after all the players we worked out Phil should've traded down. For the record Frank Nitty slid down on about 3 mocks leading right up to draft night. Not sure many teams were that high on him besides maybe Dallas if they weren't faking.

His first yr or two I see a very foul prone offensively inadequate player struggling to find his way but will make strides by his 3rd yr

Tkf

Benchwarmer
All 3 picks will be playing in the Summer League according to Begley. We usually have great Summer League showings from our players. I think Frank Nitty will work if he's surrounded by offensive weapons that play unselfishly and fluidly. He is an APPRENTICE pick, a SAFE pick

I appreciate the mindset of getting a defender especially at this position but keep in mind we brought in Ariza/Douglas/Shumpert/Fields all for the same reasons. The league is actually setup for players to not play defense and I've never seen a player in recent memory dominate defensively as a guard and their offense was average.

Phil picked him because he's a young prospect whom he hopes to mold as a potter does with clay without the pushback. I think Phil is also tired of mainland culture and is heavily vested in offshore prodigies. Looking back at how the draft went, especially after all the players we worked out Phil should've traded down. For the record Frank Nitty slid down on about 3 mocks leading right up to draft night. Not sure many teams were that high on him besides maybe Dallas if they weren't faking.

His first yr or two I see a very foul prone offensively inadequate player struggling to find his way but will make strides by his 3rd yr

good analysis, but the knicks needed home run swings.. not bunts.. but if he turns into a solid player, it is not a loss for sure, but certainly not a win.

Broadway

All Star
Also Frank Nitty isn't going to have any nights off in this league, he's gonna get murked night-in and night-out. No disrespect to him it's simply a guards league which is why we needed to be more dynamic here and why I had DSJ/Mitchell slated higher.

But hope the best for FNG guarding the likes of...

Kemba/Monk
Jackson/Kennard
Fox/Heild
Lillard/McCollum
Booker/Bledsoe
Thomas/Bradley
Wall/Beal
Curry/Klay
Lowry/Derozan(if they stay together)
Harris/Mudiay/Murray
Gannis/Brogdon
Ball/Clarkson
Dragic/Waiters
Conley/Selden
Harden/Beverly
Russell/Lin
Payton/Fournier
Rubio/Butler
Westbrook/Oladipo
Schoeder/Prince
Exum/Hayward
Fultz/Cabarrot
Rondo/Wade
Teague/Stephenson

Every night, and you better have the jewels to go right back at them. The mighty Courtney Lee I guess will pick up the scoring slack for you. LOL @ Phil with the slick used car salesmans job here talking about defense. Who are they really going to slow down and score on? Maybe a couple and and I'm being generous here. I didn't include Clippers/Cavs just because.

and1

Rotation player
Also Frank Nitty isn't going to have any nights off in this league, he's gonna get murked night-in and night-out. No disrespect to him it's simply a guards league which is why we needed to be more dynamic here and why I had DSJ/Mitchell slated higher.

But hope the best for FNG guarding the likes of...

Kemba/Monk
Jackson/Kennard
Fox/Heild
Lillard/McCollum
Booker/Bledsoe
Thomas/Bradley
Wall/Beal
Curry/Klay
Lowry/Derozan(if they stay together)
Harris/Mudiay/Murray
Gannis/Brogdon
Ball/Clarkson
Dragic/Waiters
Conley/Selden
Harden/Beverly
Russell/Lin
Payton/Fournier
Rubio/Butler
Westbrook/Oladipo
Schoeder/Prince
Exum/Hayward
Fultz/Cabarrot
Rondo/Wade
Teague/Stephenson

Every night, and you better have the jewels to go right back at them. The mighty Courtney Lee I guess will pick up the scoring slack for you. LOL @ Phil with the slick used car salesmans job here talking about defense. Who are they really going to slow down and score on? Maybe a couple and and I'm being generous here. I didn't include Clippers/Cavs just because.

but you can pretty much say the same about all the other rookie guards coming in this year. are you confident that fox, fultz or ball will have more success guarding the likes of harden, westbrook, curry, irving, thomas, etc? i'm not. i think nitty has just as much of a chance as any of those other guys in that respect. if he turns out to be a pretty damn good defender, that SHOULD give him the confidence to be more aggressive on offense.

Kiyaman

Legend
Jury is still out for me on this kid, I would have preferred Monk or DSJ but he's a heady kid that was selected because he was the best fit for the triangle or as Phil put it a system basketball player. He hasn't been tested playing in that French league as a reserve since older players get preference as the starters, his coach praised him for his D in one of those playoff games but he was guarding a 5'11" ex- DLeaguer that game so we need to see him against better competition. We'll probably get to see him in Summer League but I think the Knicks only play in the Orlando league this year which is not as competitive as Las Vegas so the first good look will be in the pre-season.

For doubters .. Frank Nitty shoots 43% from 3 in a pro league again a pro league his team is going to consecutive championships he's prove to be a winning basketball player ... we picked the better younger player for our needs.
His stats don't jump off the map like DSJ but he's a more polished system player
DSJ is a terrible defender, think a less talented rose is a good comparison... has all the physical tools but struggles to make his teammates better. Has a severe case of tunnel vision. It can tend to wow people with his athleticism and spectacular drives to the hoop. But also shows a lack of motivation especially when it counts.
To compare djs to Westbrook is silly, Westbrook has won all his life and makes his teammates better the evidence goes all the way back to college at UCLA, plus his rookie season making Durant a winning ball-player, instead of just a high scoring loser.
There is really no comparison for frank because we've never seen a pg like him, unless u go back to the days of Dennis Johnson n Gus Williams championship .. plus Frank Nitty are a winner and the right pick at 8.

Dotson is a polished senior at 6.6 height with a great Big-Guard shooting style like Allan Houston who stays in front of his man as a defender.
I like all 3 guards we selected in the draft .. I wish we would have selected the 59th pick SF Jaron Blossomgame from Clemson with the 58th pick.

I still say Phil Jackson is a 71 yr old senile fool who need to be broadcasting his opinion like Bill Walton n Barkley. The Knicks coaching-staff are a joke of LOSERS hired by a senile HOF coach that should have retired from all aspect of the NBA after the 2012 season.

What I hope not to see from our LOSER coaching-staff next season are the Knicks putting Frank Nitty or Dotson in the starting lineup throughout their rookie season. I want Frank Nitty coming off the bench throughout his rookie season .. i dont care how good Frank Nitty performance improve by midseason, i still want Frank coming off the bench bringing energy.

tiger0330

Legend
For doubters .. Frank Nitty shoots 43% from 3 in a pro league again a pro league his team is going to consecutive championships he's prove to be a winning basketball player ... we picked the better younger player for our needs.
His stats don't jump off the map like DSJ but he's a more polished system player
DSJ is a terrible defender, think a less talented rose is a good comparison... has all the physical tools but struggles to make his teammates better. Has a severe case of tunnel vision. It can tend to wow people with his athleticism and spectacular drives to the hoop. But also shows a lack of motivation especially when it counts.
To compare djs to Westbrook is silly, Westbrook has won all his life and makes his teammates better the evidence goes all the way back to college at UCLA, plus his rookie season making Durant a winning ball-player, instead of just a high scoring loser.
There is really no comparison for frank because we've never seen a pg like him, unless u go back to the days of Dennis Johnson n Gus Williams championship .. plus Frank Nitty are a winner and the right pick at 8.

Dotson is a polished senior at 6.6 height with a great Big-Guard shooting style like Allan Houston who stays in front of his man as a defender.
I like all 3 guards we selected in the draft .. I wish we would have selected the 59th pick SF Jaron Blossomgame from Clemson with the 58th pick.

I still say Phil Jackson is a 71 yr old senile fool who need to be broadcasting his opinion like Bill Walton n Barkley. The Knicks coaching-staff are a joke of LOSERS hired by a senile HOF coach that should have retired from all aspect of the NBA after the 2012 season.

What I hope not to see from our LOSER coaching-staff next season are the Knicks putting Frank Nitty or Dotson in the starting lineup throughout their rookie season. I want Frank Nitty coming off the bench throughout his rookie season .. i dont care how good Frank Nitty performance improve by midseason, i still want Frank coming off the bench bringing energy.
I don't think he's ready to start, too skinny and green. I think the Knicks know that and will be bringing him off the bench, depending on how he does though, he may take over the starting spot by mid-season esp. if it's Ron Baker that's the starting PG.

I don't think he's ready to start, too skinny and green. I think the Knicks know that and will be bringing him off the bench, depending on how he does though, he may take over the starting spot by mid-season esp. if it's Ron Baker that's the starting PG.

It's funny, but didn't we say the same thing about Porzingis and wasn't he a day 1 starter his rookie year? If we trade Melo for beans, our day 1 starting lineup to go along with our PG may be WHG, Porzingis, Lance Thomas, and Courtney Lee. I'd rather see Ntilikina out there taking his lumps with those guys than playing behind Baker. As a side note, wow are we lined up to be a big time lottery team this coming season if PJ doesn't pull some solid free agent signings out of his ass.

tiger0330

Legend
It's funny, but didn't we say the same thing about Porzingis and wasn't he a day 1 starter his rookie year? If we trade Melo for beans, our day 1 starting lineup to go along with our PG may be WHG, Porzingis, Lance Thomas, and Courtney Lee. I'd rather see Ntilikina out there taking his lumps with those guys than playing behind Baker. As a side note, wow are we lined up to be a big time lottery team this coming season if PJ doesn't pull some solid free agent signings out of his ass.
I think starting at PG is a lot harder than playing as a stretch four. Sure he might dazzle in training camp and the preseason games and Horn will say he's good enough to start but I don't see it esp him playing 25 plus minutes every other day and back to backs. I think you can debate who's going to be the better player between him and the guys we passed on but I don't think you can question who has the better NBA body between him DSJ and Monk and who is more ready to start among the 3 tomorrow.

I read a tweet of the guys that Thibs might bring in as a G to replace Dunn and Lavine and it didn't include DRose, Broadway mentioned Pop is interested in him which I find hard to believe, I haven't heard of any other teams that have shown interest so we might wind up signing him to a 2 yr player option deal to be the starting PG. If that happens we pretty much have the same team as last year with Frenchie which probably spells lottery since it's going to be hard to sign FA's.

mafra

Legend
I think we end up bringing back Rose on a discount, b/c nobody wants him and we can't get anybody else.

The plan is to bring this French kid around slowly. By year 3 hand him the job.... so, Rose can be the stop gap option. Paul, Rose, Bledsoe, Rubio, Jrue Holiday, Livingston or Hill.... i see us bringing in 1 of these guys.

Kiyaman

Legend
It's funny, but didn't we say the same thing about Porzingis and wasn't he a day 1 starter his rookie year?

KP is not a STARTER! a 7.3 starter should not be scared to bump-bodies in the paint!
Perimeter players Melo n KP should only receive 24 minute per night.

If we trade Melo for beans, our day 1 starting lineup to go along with our PG may be WHG, Porzingis, Lance Thomas, and Courtney Lee. I'd rather see Ntilikina out there taking his lumps with those guys than playing behind Baker. As a side note, wow are we lined up to be a big time lottery team this coming season if PJ doesn't pull some solid free agent signings out of his ass?

So true! Phil has to sign a few FA players, plus make a couple of block-buster trades or the Knicks will be back in the lottery. I still do not want to see Frank Nitty as a rookie in the "Lottery Starting Lineup" Phil Jackson spent all offseason designing.

I think we end up bringing back Rose on a discount, b/c nobody wants him and we can't get anybody else.

The plan is to bring this French kid around slowly. By year 3 hand him the job.... so, Rose can be the stop gap option. Paul, Rose, Bledsoe, Rubio, Jrue Holiday, Livingston or Hill.... i see us bringing in 1 of these guys.

For some old reason i too believe the Knicks will resign Rose .. is it fair to say next season the Knicks scoring BIG-3 Rose/Melo/KP will win more than 31 games?

I want Phil to offer GS FA pg-Shaun Livingston a price GS wont match.
We really need a starting SF like Butler/Paul George/Kwahi/Giannis in a trade for Melo lol

Broadway

All Star

So in the first article Wally was running his mouth because he's the "COMPANY MOLE" as I was saying. He publicly makes comments about Monk being "streaky" and "not a playmaker', essentially can only play off the ball. He also gives him a floor of "Tim Hardaway Jr." you know the guy Phil Jackson traded away for Grant. Says his ceiling could be Ray Allen but the consistency isn't there so maybe he's Booker(as if this is a negative :? :? :?). There was also a comment from a WC exec that said Monk is "tiny"

In the second article once again Wally is running his RODENT like mouth and says of Smith..."If he's supposed to be that good and talented then how couldn't he get the team to perform better"? A few paragraphs after highlights warped/obtuse comments of Phil Jackson's thinking in that..."he's not looking to draft a player who can jump out of the gym or do a triple double game"

In the third article Fran Fraschilla essentially says it's a matter of triangle fit between Frenchie and DJS. What's interesting he said Frenchie is neither a point guard nor a guard just a utility guard who's big/versatile

I didn't pay attention enough first time around but boy is Wally Zerb awful, I knew he was but this was really telling how awful he is.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
For the record every top lead guard in this league is between 6'0"-6'4"...while size can concern it shouldn't stop one from getting drafted, if all other boxes are ticked from a talent perspective

mafra

Legend
Frank Ntilikina will join up with the Knicks for Summer League on Tuesday.

After he was selected by the Knicks with the No. 8 pick, the 18-year-old PG flew back to France at 2:00 a.m. for Strasbourg's championship game, but his team fell short. Ntilikina scored nine points on 4-of-6 shooting with two assists, two rebounds and one steal in 24 minutes, finishing with a +3 in the nine-point loss. Knicks fans have had a rough few weeks with all the Kristaps Porzingis trade rumors, but at least Ntilikina gives them some hope for the future. The French PG will need some time to develop, but his long-term potential is exciting.
Source: NY Post Jun 24 - 10:21 AM