8th Pick .. 6.5 PG Frank Ntikilina aka Frank Nitty

Broadway

All Star
One thing about Wally's comments on DSJ and his impact on NC State, if we use his own ammunition against him my question would be...

Wally why do you defend Carmelo and #kporzee as if they're good, if they're so good how come we've been in the lottery 3-2yrs respectively? I think I'm actually going to @ him on Twitter today about it

Frank Ntilikina will join up with the Knicks for Summer League on Tuesday.

After he was selected by the Knicks with the No. 8 pick, the 18-year-old PG flew back to France at 2:00 a.m. for Strasbourg's championship game, but his team fell short. Ntilikina scored nine points on 4-of-6 shooting with two assists, two rebounds and one steal in 24 minutes, finishing with a +3 in the nine-point loss. Knicks fans have had a rough few weeks with all the Kristaps Porzingis trade rumors, but at least Ntilikina gives them some hope for the future. The French PG will need some time to develop, but his long-term potential is exciting.
Source: NY Post Jun 24 - 10:21 AM

Just the mention of Summer League gets me pumped. Can't wait.

Broadway

All Star
Just the mention of Summer League gets me pumped. Can't wait.

I think our team will perform well in SL. Phil had dinner with Dotson already. I think Phil's MO at this point is to get young blood in here who haven't been extremely corrupted by his standards on the bball court. He'll teach them what he knows as a paying it forward a la Tex Winters. How long he remains into their professional journey and what he leaves them as sustainable is at the core of such debate. We know we're not going to be a good basketball team, we have too many players to develop simultaneously.

tiger0330

Legend
Listened to some of the Mavs pressers discussing DSJ, curious to see if they would say whether they would have chosen Frank over DSJ since it was reported that Cuban and Nelson flew over to Venice to interview him. One reporter flat out asked Carlisle who the Mavs would have picked but Carlisle was evasive and danced around the question and said they knew they would be able to pick DSJ because they knew the Knicks were going to take Frank, said there was a lot of celebrating when they had the chance to take DSJ. Nelson wasn't asked directly about Frank and DSJ but said DSJ was their choice and thought he might go higher so they were thrilled to get him at 9. Both were asked if he would start, Nelson said it's up to Carlisle and Carlisle said yes if he shows the ability with the usual caveat that at this level the guys are better.

DSJ might be the better player next year because he'll be given more opportunity and Frank may be brought along more slowly, we can't assume the Knicks made the wrong choice if DSJ has a better start to his NBA career than Frank. I do want to see Frank play some off the ball if we bring back DRose to see how he fits there and whether he has the perimeter game to complement DRose.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
For the right contract Derrick Rose could be great. It could relieve our younger guards and Playoff experience would be great (their chances of making it would be better this time around unless the organization continues where they left off from last season). Rose shows up in the Playoffs, and that would get our younger guys experience.

For the right contract Derrick Rose could be great. It could relieve our younger guards and Playoff experience would be great (their chances of making it would be better this time around unless the organization continues where they left off from last season). Rose shows up in the Playoffs, and that would get our younger guys experience.

1 year deal with a plan to trade him at the deadline if things are looking grim for us. That's what I'd plan for Rose, otherwise I'd let him walk.

mafra

Legend
Listened to some of the Mavs pressers discussing DSJ, curious to see if they would say whether they would have chosen Frank over DSJ since it was reported that Cuban and Nelson flew over to Venice to interview him. One reporter flat out asked Carlisle who the Mavs would have picked but Carlisle was evasive and danced around the question and said they knew they would be able to pick DSJ because they knew the Knicks were going to take Frank, said there was a lot of celebrating when they had the chance to take DSJ. Nelson wasn't asked directly about Frank and DSJ but said DSJ was their choice and thought he might go higher so they were thrilled to get him at 9. Both were asked if he would start, Nelson said it's up to Carlisle and Carlisle said yes if he shows the ability with the usual caveat that at this level the guys are better.

DSJ might be the better player next year because he'll be given more opportunity and Frank may be brought along more slowly, we can't assume the Knicks made the wrong choice if DSJ has a better start to his NBA career than Frank. I do want to see Frank play some off the ball if we bring back DRose to see how he fits there and whether he has the perimeter game to complement DRose.

The Mavs should be happy to get a player like that at 9..... I think DSJ fits their style.... I also think he will compete for ROY b/c he will start and see big minutes. Cuban already said the DSJ ERA has begun.

Time will tell.... 3-5 years.... If Frank, or Monk, or DSJ, or Kennard were the better picks.

For NY, given out roster and needs.... Frank is a better fit. DSJ is all offense... Frank all defense right now.

Knicks wanted a defensive stopper at the point of attack, a bigger guard with length and a willing passer. If he turns out to be Rondo and DSJ turns out to be Steve Frances..... we still happy.

What we don't know.... how good is Frank's outside shot and how willing of a defender is DSJ?

mafra

Legend
1 year deal with a plan to trade him at the deadline if things are looking grim for us. That's what I'd plan for Rose, otherwise I'd let him walk.

I think you see what you can get first, in terms of trades and free agents.... but, re-signing Rose and not buying Melo out means you get 3 months to see if it can click and you make playoffs and if not you hopefully get something in return Trading Rose and Melo.

If we can gather assets next month then I'm fine going that route too,
Preparing for a tank season and getting top pick next draft.

Broadway

All Star
I think you see what you can get first, in terms of trades and free agents.... but, re-signing Rose and not buying Melo out means you get 3 months to see if it can click and you make playoffs and if not you hopefully get something in return Trading Rose and Melo.

If we can gather assets next month then I'm fine going that route too,
Preparing for a tank season and getting top pick next draft.

Rose isn't an option at all, unless we're talking S&T this summer(which I doubt is possible). Sad to say we'll be there(lottery) with or without him end of season anyway. The best outcome for us is to be as horrible as we possibly can while developing young talent out the gate no distractions/stunting growth. Our kids have to mature faster than those on other rosters because we're behind here too.

The Michael Porter and Luca Doncic Era Has Begun

If we resign Rose it's a clear indication we still don't know what we're doing. Phil said we're rebuilding and it'll be a little while longer until we're good. He's not making moves based on playoff possibilities and Melo factors.

The Mavs should be happy to get a player like that at 9..... I think DSJ fits their style.... I also think he will compete for ROY b/c he will start and see big minutes. Cuban already said the DSJ ERA has begun.

Time will tell.... 3-5 years.... If Frank, or Monk, or DSJ, or Kennard were the better picks.

For NY, given out roster and needs.... Frank is a better fit. DSJ is all offense... Frank all defense right now.

Knicks wanted a defensive stopper at the point of attack, a bigger guard with length and a willing passer. If he turns out to be Rondo and DSJ turns out to be Steve Frances..... we still happy.

What we don't know.... how good is Frank's outside shot and how willing of a defender is DSJ?

In my opinion, Dallas is making a mistake here. They are doing what you should never do in professional sports, they are bragging. They are basically telling the world that they got their guy and the very short leap of logic here is that they are saying he is going to be a guaranteed star. Why do this? You gain nothing. In much the same sense, a front office shouldn't criticize another team's pick because then if that guy does go big, you made yourself look stupid for no reason.

This whole Dallas and DSJ thing just seems super weird to me. I can't recall any recent drafts where a team has made it so clear that a player who fell to them was their guy all along. Dallas and DSJ has almost become the biggest story of the draft because of this. Are they really that proud of themselves or is this all part of some plan to sell this pick to their fans? DSJ will sell himself to the fans with his play on the court if he is going to be as good as they are saying.

mafra

Legend
DAL thinks if they re-sign Noel, then they have Curry, Noel, Barnes, & DSJ. They seem happy about that.

Personally, I would take KP, WHG, and Frank.

Broadway

All Star
In my opinion, Dallas is making a mistake here. They are doing what you should never do in professional sports, they are bragging. They are basically telling the world that they got their guy and the very short leap of logic here is that they are saying he is going to be a guaranteed star. Why do this? You gain nothing. In much the same sense, a front office shouldn't criticize another team's pick because then if that guy does go big, you made yourself look stupid for no reason.

This whole Dallas and DSJ thing just seems super weird to me. I can't recall any recent drafts where a team has made it so clear that a player who fell to them was their guy all along. Dallas and DSJ has almost become the biggest story of the draft because of this. Are they really that proud of themselves or is this all part of some plan to sell this pick to their fans? DSJ will sell himself to the fans with his play on the court if he is going to be as good as they are saying.

I agree there's no need to say anything if you got your guy wanted all along...Cuban is bombastic and a hot head so no surprise. Still doesn't mean they'll be wrong either, just not a good look.

Kiyaman

Legend
While Fultz might be the most complete prospect and Smith the most explosive, Ntilikina may best fit the pure point guard mold. He has an elite feel for the game for someone so young and is the consummate floor general. At 6-foot-5 with a 7-foot wingspan, he has great size as well. His jump shot is the weakest part of his game right now, and sometimes he can be too reluctant to look for his own shot, but scouts love his long-term potential. - Chad Ford

How He Fits
I think Ntilikina has major upside. He has a huge wingspan and great court vision, and has already been a starting PG in the French league finals. He needs to continue to improve his jump shot, but he could be really good down the road. The Knicks needed a point guard, hopefully one who can grow alongside Kristaps Porzingis if he remains in New York. -- Chad Ford

Broadway

All Star
One thing DSJ has is some swagger already talking about ROY and taking on Russ. Our kid seems much more modest.

We need that spirit to combat the rebellion of Melo and #kporzee. Kind of like when Lin helped turn things around when Melo/Amare had attitudes. There are very few great players who move quietly, yes there have been some but they are rare.

tiger0330

Legend
We need that spirit to combat the rebellion of Melo and #kporzee. Kind of like when Lin helped turn things around when Melo/Amare had attitudes. There are very few great players who move quietly, yes there have been some but they are rare.
If a guy can walk the talk I don't think people care if a guy talks a little trash. Now if DSJ manages to win ROY how many Knicks fans are going to say you gotta be patient, Frank is a project that will pay off in a couple of years, maybe 1 Kiyaman. The rest of us are going to scream we told you so about picking DSJ over Frenchie.

mafra

Legend
If a guy can walk the talk I don't think people care if a guy talks a little trash. Now if DSJ manages to win ROY how many Knicks fans are going to say you gotta be patient, Frank is a project that will pay off in a couple of years, maybe 1 Kiyaman. The rest of us are going to scream we told you so about picking DSJ over Frenchie.

This pick will make or break the KP era in NY.... if Monk and/or DSJ hit while Frank flops.... a killer we don't recover from. It's imperative we hit a double here.... don't need a HR but a swing and miss is a killer.

Broadway

All Star

The Duncans/Hakeems/Robsinsons/Dirks are rare, even happy go lucky players like Curry have a little spunk/ummpfff/showmanship/attitude. Phil's teacher's pet mentality he's trying to establish is wickedly criminal and dangerous here.

Last edited: