2017 Summer League

tiger0330

Legend
Victor Mather / NY Times

Lonzo Ball Is Summer League M.V.P. So He’s Going to Be a Star, Right?

The roster of recent M.V.P.s of the Vegas summer league is a decidedly mixed bag. Of the last six, only two could really be called unqualified N.B.A. successes so far. Two are established bench players, and two would have to be called busts.

Damian Lillard, the 2012 M.V.P., regularly scores 20 points a game as one of the Portland Trail Blazers’ stars. Jonas Valanciunas, the 2013 M.V.P., is a solid player for the Toronto Raptors.

Kyle Anderson, the 2015 M.V.P., gets about 10 minutes a game with the San Antonio Spurs, and Tyus Jones, last year’s M.V.P., is on the bench with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

But Josh Selby, Lillard’s co-M.V.P., was out of the N.B.A. after two seasons with the Grizzlies and played in Israel last season. He had ranked third in scoring in the summer league with 24 points and shot .557. And Glen Rice Jr., the 2014 M.V.P., washed out after two seasons with the Washington Wizards and went to the N.B.A. Development League.
I'd add Jaryd Bayless who I thought was going to be a star after scoring 30ppg in SL, still around but as a journeyman backup.

Broadway

All Star
Lakers were running plenty Triangle in SL messed around and won a Chip with it

I don't care for a heavy triangle laden system but everyone's favorite Unicorn said we should've been running it more consistently/fluidly last yr. I see some benefits to running it but even with Phil gone, some are trying to find ways to blame him for all past and some current mishappenings

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Lakers were running plenty Triangle in SL messed around and won a Chip with it

I don't care for a heavy triangle layden system but everyone's favorite Unicorn said we should've been running it more consistently/fluidly last yr. I see some benefits to running it but even with Phil gone, some are trying to find ways to blame him for all past and some current mishappenings
Who was the big defending that high PnR? He's not making an NBA team with that weak D.