Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60
  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,567
    Rep Power
    25

    Nyk Logo The Knicks' offer sheet to Tim Hardaway Jr. has to be the WORST contract in 2017

    There was no way the Hawks were going to resign THJ to 4 yr at $40M .. Hawks are not matching that ridiculous offer!

    We are TANKING each of the next 4 seasons .. Stupid is what stupid does!
    Tim Hardaway don't play a lick of defense .. opponents score on THJ at will.
    I do not want corny THJ performance taking rookie Dotson playing-time minutes because of this ridiculous pay raise contract. I would have been ok resigning Holiday.
    I thought we were trying to sign Rondo & Simmons !!!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Not just 2017, considering the circumstances the back story behind Hardaway and the knicks, this contract is ridiculous in an Epic way. I like Timmy, got to watch him a lot down here in Atlanta, the fans liked him. good kid, but this is a bad contract, and no surprise comming from the knicks.. As I said, the knicks problems were deeper, than Phil Jackson.

  3. #3
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,979
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Teams have to overpay to snag a RFA, and some sort of poison pills are always involved. THJr is a 12-15 mil type player, at best.... obviously NYK grossly overpaid.... but we are NYK and this is what we do best.

  4. #4
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,979
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    New NYK motto.... a re-branding under Mill:

    "We don't just F-up; we F-up like nobody can imagine."

  5. #5
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,979
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  6. #6
    Veteran tiger0330's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,278
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Originally Posted by mafra
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Tim does some good things like the article says but the Pistons renounced KCP because there was a question of value, SVG said do I want to pay a guy max money when he didn't even shoot 40%. The overwhelming majority of fans don't like this deal but the Knicks think he's going to be a very good player and part of the future, time will tell who is right.

  7. #7
    Member and1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    494
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Tim does some good things like the article says but the Pistons renounced KCP because there was a question of value, SVG said do I want to pay a guy max money when he didn't even shoot 40%. The overwhelming majority of fans don't like this deal but the Knicks think he's going to be a very good player and part of the future, time will tell who is right.
    listen, maybe he will be a good player for us. that would be great. he has potential.
    nevertheless, we don't need time to know this was an awful contract. it doesn't matter how good you think a guy is GOING to be. you offer what he's worth right NOW. i have not seen one report saying that anyone was offering him anything close to this kind of money.
    but i have to agree with kiya on this. timmy's going to be taking minutes away from dotson, and that's probably not going to be a good thing if we want to really develop the younger guys. and apparently mills had stated that was part of the main goal for this season.
    and let's say timmy ends up playing really well, AND dotson turns out to be good for us too. now let's say another team is really interested in trading for timmy by ASB. why the hell did we include that 15% trade kicker?! maybe i'm misunderstanding the way those kickers work? LMAO.
    blame vegas

  8. #8
    Veteran tiger0330's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,278
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Originally Posted by and1
    listen, maybe he will be a good player for us. that would be great. he has potential.
    nevertheless, we don't need time to know this was an awful contract. it doesn't matter how good you think a guy is GOING to be. you offer what he's worth right NOW. i have not seen one report saying that anyone was offering him anything close to this kind of money.
    but i have to agree with kiya on this. timmy's going to be taking minutes away from dotson, and that's probably not going to be a good thing if we want to really develop the younger guys. and apparently mills had stated that was part of the main goal for this season.
    and let's say timmy ends up playing really well, AND dotson turns out to be good for us too. now let's say another team is really interested in trading for timmy by ASB. why the hell did we include that 15% trade kicker?! maybe i'm misunderstanding the way those kickers work? LMAO.
    I agree with you about not paying a guy anymore than another team is willing to pay a player. Definitely a reach to pay Timmy 71M if no one else had an offer like that on the table. Seems an odd signing because it runs counter to what we heard about what Mills wanted to do in the off-season which was to sign a vet PG to help Frank and to avoid splashy big $ FA contracts. It was out of the blue as well, never heard THJ name linked with the Knicks at all. Seems like one of those WTF signings that the Knicks always do.

    As far as taking away minutes from Dotson, Timmy has size at 6'6" so he can play the 3 so we can run Dotson and him together so him taking away minutes from Dotxon shouldn't be an issue. I think wer're going to score in buckets with THJ and Dotson on the floor together.
    Last edited by tiger0330; Jul 07, 2017 at 15:16.

  9. #9
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,979
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    No reason Dotson and THJr can't share the court.... I don't like the contract but I like the pick-up. Prime years ahead, has good background, can shoot and help kP score and we have our 1st rounder back.

    We always deal away our picks.... glad we are building around our first rounders....

  10. #10
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,979
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Like TIG said, NYK feel his best years are ahead of him. Who cares about cap space bc we never even get B free agents to sign with us...

    If we made an offer of 4/30 or 4/40, there's a chance ATL matches. So, for an extra 5-6 mil a year we made sure we got the guy we wanted.

    If Frank, Dotson, THJr, KP, WHG for a nice core 4, with their offensive potential.... we'll live with this.

    We have to see what other moves are made but NYK now protected themselves from fans saying we traded for Rose for nothing....

    We got THJr back.... so, almost like Phil never dealt him.

    Had THJr played well for us last 2 years, and we just signed him to this extension.... it wouldn't look
    As bad.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,203
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Alright, I went to Hoopshype and looked at NBA players' salaries to find deals to compare with THJ's 4 years for 71 million (approximately 17.7 million per year). Here's what I found:

    Victor Oladipo
    - 4 years for 84 million (21 million per year) - 25-years-old, averaged 15.9 ppg last season.

    Evan Fournier -
    signed a 5 year for 85 million contract last season, has 4 years for 68 million remaining (17 million per year) - 24-years-old, averaged 17.2 ppg last season

    Dennis Schroder - reported as a 4 year for 70 million contract, which should be 17.5 million per year, but for some reason Hoopshype has it listed as 15.5 million per year (math?) - 23-years-old, averaged 17.9 ppg and 6.3 apg last season

    That's it. Those are the only guards I could find who have 4 year contracts (or 4 years remaining) that aren't still on rookie contracts or aren't max contract players making at least 10 million more per season.

    My conclusion, the NBA payscale is broken and if you are judging THJ only by his numbers as a starter for Atlanta last year (18.5 ppg on efficient shooting) and his age, 25-years-old, this, sadly enough, might actually be market value for him.

    Still, this contract is nuts.

  12. #12
    Veteran tiger0330's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,278
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Originally Posted by htr10
    Alright, I went to Hoopshype and looked at NBA players' salaries to find deals to compare with THJ's 4 years for 71 million (approximately 17.7 million per year). Here's what I found:

    Victor Oladipo
    - 4 years for 84 million (21 million per year) - 25-years-old, averaged 15.9 ppg last season.

    Evan Fournier -
    signed a 5 year for 85 million contract last season, has 4 years for 68 million remaining (17 million per year) - 24-years-old, averaged 17.2 ppg last season

    Dennis Schroder - reported as a 4 year for 70 million contract, which should be 17.5 million per year, but for some reason Hoopshype has it listed as 15.5 million per year (math?) - 23-years-old, averaged 17.9 ppg and 6.3 apg last season

    That's it. Those are the only guards I could find who have 4 year contracts (or 4 years remaining) that aren't still on rookie contracts or aren't max contract players making at least 10 million more per season.

    My conclusion, the NBA payscale is broken and if you are judging THJ only by his numbers as a starter for Atlanta last year (18.5 ppg on efficient shooting) and his age, 25-years-old, this, sadly enough, might actually be market value for him.

    Still, this contract is nuts.
    Dying to see what a team offers KCP. He was looking for a max contract but what rookie wouldn't be. I think the Hawks might offer him a similar deal to what Timmy got. Not going rule out they match either despite the fan outrage, they lost a lot of players and have a number of free agents that might not be back, ATL might match out of necessity.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,203
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Dying to see what a team offers KCP. He was looking for a max contract but what rookie wouldn't be. I think the Hawks might offer him a similar deal to what Timmy got. Not going rule out they match either despite the fan outrage, they lost a lot of players and have a number of free agents that might not be back, ATL might match out of necessity.
    Yeah, the more I look at other players' contracts, the more I think that it's not so crazy that Atlanta, who gave their starting PG Schroder 4 years 70 million, might be willing to match 4 years 71 million for THJ, who finished the season as their starting SG and thrived in that role.

    In the end, if we didn't have that big Noah contract and we were planning to move Lee and Melo without taking back anything longer than a 2-year deal in return, you could view this THJ offer as a calculated risk on a young player by a bad team. Instead, it's a bad team using what's left of its cap space to get a guy who doesn't move the needle enough.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,960
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I mean the THJ offer might not be that bad on its own (NBA players everywhere are overpaid...Mike Conley got 130 million despite never making an all-star team in his life) but the problem here is that the Knicks suck

    If we sign THJ we get into that hell where we're good enough to *maybe* make the playoffs and win 40 games. We'll make it into the playoffs, get swept by the Cavs or the Celtics, get the 17th pick in the draft, which is good enough to get us a mediocre player like Jerian Grant. This way we'll suck forever until KP finally decides to leave and we rebuild for real

  15. #15
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,979
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    The biggest problem with the THJr signing I have is this:

    We have PHil make the draft pick, then fire him.

    We have Mill make this signing, knowing he won't be GM moving forward. Well, now that new GM will be stuck with this cap hit for 4 years.

    It's like Dolan didn't learn from
    His previous mistake, when the last interim GM made that awful Bargnani trade.... when that probably sabotaged the Melo era (bc we would've traded for Lowry instead).

    It makes no sense. Would Mill draft Frenchie? Will the new GM want 4 years of THJr at 19 mil per?

Similar Threads

  1. A Tribute to Knicks' Guard Tim Hardaway Jr.
    By aegee in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr 08, 2015, 20:49
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan 30, 2014, 09:23
  3. Lin agrees to offer sheet with the Rockets
    By FrazierVocab in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 05, 2012, 21:34
  4. Wolves And Sessions Near Offer Sheet
    By CoolClyde in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: Sep 14, 2009, 16:20
  5. Sessions Will Sign Offer Sheet This Week
    By smokes in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Jul 22, 2009, 23:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •