Breaking News: David Griffin on verge of becoming next NYK GM

mafra

Legend
Perry, 53, had been promoted to vice president of basketball operations by the Kings in April. He spent the prior five seasons serving in a similar capacity with the Orlando Magic. Prior to joining the Magic, Perry worked in the front office for the Pistons and as the assistant GM for the Seattle Supersonics (now the Oklahoma City Thunder) from 2007-2008.

"One of the top evaluators of talent in the NBA," one NBA executive who has worked with Perry told Marc Berman of the NY Post. "The evidence is Sacramento's free agency this year."

Broadway

All Star
Too bad we didn't hire him before the draft.... Maybe we have DSJ, Belln and Mason?

I like this hire in the sense of we went a little outside the box, so if he works out Mills and Lewieki(sp?) get some credit here. He has some eye for talent supposedly instrumental in bringing Payton and Hezonja to Orlando along with his contribution in short work in Sacramento(who have had an excellent off-season)

You're right had we brought him aboard earlier as he was seeking a more prominent position after the demise in Orlando, he not only could've heavily influenced the draft but also properly handled our free agency. One thing he better not do is come here and try to keepsake Melo.

I hear Leon Rose is in Houston for CP3's presser, so I think a play call is being sent in from the sideline to the huddle 2nd and goal from the 2...commercial break.

mafra

Legend
Mills and Lew and Perry and Horn should be given 3 years.... see where we are come 2020. We need some continuity...

Will be interesting to see what happens with the Melo trade, if Mills can work some magic. Chris Paul did say for us to "wait and see what happens." Does sound like most of the work is done.... just need somebody to take Ryno....

Maybe they didn't want to rain on today's parade.... steal the thunder. Or, maybe Mills is actually doing his job and not giving in and getting played.

This hiring actually makes me a little excited. Not sure about Mills, and Horn, but still keeping an open mind now that each has full control to do their job according to how they see fit.

and1

Rotation player
Mills and Lew and Perry and Horn should be given 3 years.... see where we are come 2020. We need some continuity...

Will be interesting to see what happens with the Melo trade, if Mills can work some magic. Chris Paul did say for us to "wait and see what happens." Does sound like most of the work is done.... just need somebody to take Ryno....

Maybe they didn't want to rain on today's parade.... steal the thunder. Or, maybe Mills is actually doing his job and not giving in and getting played.

This hiring actually makes me a little excited. Not sure about Mills, and Horn, but still keeping an open mind now that each has full control to do their job according to how they see fit.

i hate to be 'that guy'... again, but.... cp3 was also the same guy who told melo he would come join him in ny, at his wedding reception no less. at least that's how the story goes.
it's looking like melo's getting traded before this season starts. i'm not even going to bother trying to speculate on the different possible scenarios lol. i'm just going to take cp3's advice and wait... and see.

Broadway

All Star
I like this hire in the sense of we went a little outside the box, so if he works out Mills and Lewieki(sp?) get some credit here. He has some eye for talent supposedly instrumental in bringing Payton and Hezonja to Orlando along with his contribution in short work in Sacramento(who have had an excellent off-season)

You're right had we brought him aboard earlier as he was seeking a more prominent position after the demise in Orlando, he not only could've heavily influenced the draft but also properly handled our free agency. One thing he better not do is come here and try to keepsake Melo.

I hear Leon Rose is in Houston for CP3's presser, so I think a play call is being sent in from the sideline to the huddle 2nd and goal from the 2...commercial break.

This is exactly what I'm leery of. This dude better not come here trying to mend fences or play diplomat. This needs to get resolved soon!

mafra

Legend
Probably just a stall tactic bc other teams trying to get NYK to lower demands.... As I noted, I could call a few teams and get this settled.

Or, perhaps, this is just Mills letting Perry get settled and take these talks over.

I'm sure if there was a free agent we wanted, and who was willing to sign with us, we might even talk about a buy out.

Ultimately, there are too many motivated parties and Perry has too many connections for a trade not to happen.

tiger0330

Legend
Just finished reading about Perry. He was recently hired by the Kings and will be leaving his position there after only a few months. Kings had a great draft so if he masterminded that, Knicks might have hired a good one. He was asst GM for the Magic for 5 years before he joined the Kings. He's been a college coach and player and his dad was an NFL player where he played briefly before becoming the first black NFL coach in 50 years.

Never heard of him before, older than I thought, over 50, but seemingly well respected around the league with a network of contacts. He's been waiting a long time to get his shot at running a club.

mafra

Legend
Just finished reading about Perry. He was recently hired by the Kings and will be leaving his position there after only a few months. Kings had a great draft so if he masterminded that, Knicks might have hired a good one. He was asst GM for the Magic for 5 years before he joined the Kings. He's been a college coach and player and his dad was an NFL player where he played briefly before becoming the first black NFL coach in 50 years.

Never heard of him before, older than I thought, over 50, but seemingly well respected around the league with a network of contacts. He's been waiting a long time to get his shot at running a club.

Hey, Fox fell in his lap but he took him. In a month he singlehandedly turned a perpetual moribund franchise into a potential dynasty.
In one draft gathered a core foundation then convinced to solid vets to come in and set the tone.

Imagine what he might do here in Ny if given 3 drafts?!?

mafra

Legend
Hmmmm....

Isola stirs the pot:

"Roland Lazenby, a best-selling author who also is Jackson's biographer and supporter, implied that the Mills undermined the Zen Master.

"Many perceived Melo as Phil's rival in NY. But certain insiders thought it was Mills, who was seen as obstructing some PJ initiatives," Lazenby tweeted this week."

mafra

Legend
I wonder if "let's talk to Melo" means Perry and Mills wAnt to ask Melo about likelihood Lebron, Wade, and Paul all come to NY next season on vet min contracts.... to make 1 run at GSW come summer 2019.

Oh, no chance? Ok. Trade talk resume time.

Broadway

All Star
Hmmmm....

Isola stirs the pot:

"Roland Lazenby, a best-selling author who also is Jackson's biographer and supporter, implied that the Mills undermined the Zen Master.

"Many perceived Melo as Phil's rival in NY. But certain insiders thought it was Mills, who was seen as obstructing some PJ initiatives," Lazenby tweeted this week."

I've been using the word "AGENDA(S) often this summer. I want to see all traces of this removed and Mills appointment as Team President is not good even with the hire of Perry(which I do like) but get this...

Maybe just maybe the Melo talks are on hold because the team has to negotiate with the Kings to come off picks for the new hire! :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

tiger0330

Legend
I've been using the word "AGENDA(S) often this summer. I want to see all traces of this removed and Mills appointment as Team President is not good even with the hire of Perry(which I do like) but get this...

Maybe just maybe the Melo talks are on hold because the team has to negotiate with the Kings to come off picks for the new hire! :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

I'd let him walk if we had to give them any picks, our 2nd round picks are probably going to be in the 31-39 range. If they won't take cash, promote a guy from within. You just let Griffin go because you thought your front office was good enough to keep around so there must be one guy you can promote.

Broadway

All Star
I'd let him walk if we had to give them any picks, our 2nd round picks are probably going to be in the 31-39 range. If they won't take cash, promote a guy from within. You just let Griffin go because you thought your front office was good enough to keep around so there must be one guy you can promote.

Broadway

All Star
I guess this being a 2019 pick when we have 2 isn't that bad, too bad Mills didn't have the confidence to promote Houston or Warkenkein but Perry has the experience that PJ lacked so we should be happy about that.

Based on this site we actually gave away one of the last 2nd rd picks we truly outright owned until 2021. Looks like we'll have one in 2018 and that's it. Sixers own like all of our 2nd rdrs. The Cavs and Rockets picks have conditions on them most likely not in our favor

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Knicks.htm

Last edited: