Melo Trade Rumors

Broadway

All Star
It's funny how Knicks fans live in a bubble of badness...teams are starting to line up for Melo because he is still an elite NBA scorer...this is the same thing all y'all said about JR:"he's a chucker...plays no d...not worth a cent" until he won a chip with Lebron

Cleveland can't trade hardly any of their players and their owner has been silent for the most part publicly on most of them. Why is that? We could've traded them Shane Larkin, Travis Wear, Quincy Acy and Lebron was going to win a title regardless or if for nothing else get to the Finals. It didn't really matter who he was playing with along the way. He could've possibly got a little more value for them but not much, maybe another 2nd rounder or so.

Of course Phil didn't help building up player value specifically Melo's but Melo put the nail in the coffin by asking out this summer. Matter of fact Isola says Melo asked for a buyout first. You realize how asinine that is if he would consider lifting his NTC? Then lists the specific team he wants to be traded to?

paris401

Starter
It's funny how Knicks fans live in a bubble of badness...teams are starting to line up for Melo because he is still an elite NBA scorer...this is the same thing all y'all said about JR:"he's a chucker...plays no d...not worth a cent" until he won a chip with Lebron

well you got me there .... I said many times that you aint winning with jr... and look what happened.... pass the crow please...

Cedi Osman thats got to be some kind of joke. Just read about him, they just signed him from Turkey for an 8.9M 3 yr deal. Cavs would have to trade 7 contracts like his before they could get Melo. He averaged 7ppg in the Euroleague but he must have some game since the Cavs wanted him, they wouldn't give Jamal the full tax MLE because they wanted part of it to sign this gut.

Shumpert, Frye, and Jefferson add up to over 21 million in contracts for this coming season and all 3 expire either this season or next season.

If Osman is no good, then not sure it makes any sense, but it would be a way to get basically all of Melo's cap space back in time for KP's free agency year and then we might be able to get KP to stay by making some other free agent signings that offseason.

Every other alternative trade I've heard seems to have us holding onto bad contracts for at least 3 more years (Anderson, Harkless, etc.).

tiger0330

Legend
Melo working on a floater and his trainer says he's in the best shape he's ever seen him. I bet he has a great year no matter where he winds up.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Thanks Tig cause these cats act like Melo is just some bum and the Knicks aren't gonna be downright awful next year. Enjoy watching a bunch of dleagers masquerading as NBA players in Knicks uniforms. Another rebuild:(

Broadway

All Star
Thanks Tig cause these cats act like Melo is just some bum and the Knicks aren't gonna be downright awful next year. Enjoy watching a bunch of dleagers masquerading as NBA players in Knicks uniforms. Another rebuild:(

lol we've been a lottery team with Melo 3yrs in a row dawg!

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
lol we've been a lottery team with Melo 3yrs in a row dawg!
Yeah. I don't get why people make up things about him. The one thing he is exceptional at people exaggerate as well. He scores a lot because he ball hogs a lot. I don't even dislike him. He just isn't somebody you want being the leader/go to guy on your team. What evidence does anyone have otherwise? He wasn't the best player on the team in 2012-2013. He was ONE OF for sure, but there were no best. That team had a few exceptional players who needed each other to have the season they had. I don't put the blame on Melo for the lottery seasons, but can anyone point to anything that proves he was being held back so much by something that it caused him to not make the Playoffs for four seasons straight? Sure, the situation with Phil this past season was a disaster, but Melo didn't even lead the team to an 8th seed. You can be a realistic fan.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Yeah. I don't get why people make up things about him. The one thing he is exceptional at people exaggerate as well. He scores a lot because he ball hogs a lot. I don't even dislike him. He just isn't somebody you want being the leader/go to guy on your team. What evidence does anyone have otherwise? He wasn't the best player on the team in 2012-2013. He was ONE OF for sure, but there were no best. That team had a few exceptional players who needed each other to have the season they had. I don't put the blame on Melo for the lottery seasons, but can anyone point to anything that proves he was being held back so much by something that it caused him to not make the Playoffs for four seasons straight? Sure, the situation with Phil this past season was a disaster, but Melo didn't even lead the team to an 8th seed. You can be a realistic fan.

Now that's just bull****, revisionist, history right there. I want all you guys to look up that 2012-2013 roster and make a case Melo wasn't the best player on that team. Who was better? Amare" watch out for that fire extinguisher" Stodamire??? How about Tyson Chandler???? Or Maybe it was it was Steve Novak or Corey Brewer??? Maybe is was Kiyaman's fave Jason Kidd??? How many members of that 2012-13 team are even still in the league is a better question???? GTFO

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Now that's just bull****, revisionist, history right there. I want all you guys to look up that 2012-2013 roster and make a case Melo wasn't the best player on that team. Who was better? Amare" watch out for that fire extinguisher" Stodamire??? How about Tyson Chandler???? Or Maybe it was it was Steve Novak or Corey Brewer??? Maybe is was Kiyaman's fave Jason Kidd??? How many members of that 2012-13 team are even still in the league is a better question???? GTFO
No it's not revisionist history. Even at the time I thought there were a few players who were equal to the team's success despite not having the numbers Anthony had. Kidd had an excellent season. Do you remember J.R. Smith's stretch when he was tearing it up in the paint? Do you remember the two game winners HE had? That team held it down with those injuries.

Melo was also a lot better then. I liked how Melo played in 2015-2016. He played team ball for the most part even when the team wasn't doing well. For whatever reason this past season he didn't build on it and just threw it out the window. I don't see how a bad organization means not sharing the ball. If you actually watch Melo play you'd realize that he always tries to prove to the defender that he can beat him despite what it does for his team.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I was a fan of Melo that season, but you can't tell me that team didn't have lots of leadership from other teammates.

My point is, at least on the Knicks, Melo never showed he had THAT kind of leadership. I don't like to compare players all the time, but let's take Westbrook. Do you think prime Melo could have done what Westbrook has done in the West with that amount of talent? Do you think Wade, who is close to Melo's age and even older, could have done what he did with the Heat in 2015-2016? Maybe you do, but I haven't seen Melo ever be that type of player. The closest he was to showing he can be that kind of leader is 2015-2016, but that team collapsed, and I'm not blaming Melo for it.

mafra

Legend
I was a fan of Melo that season, but you can't tell me that team didn't have lots of leadership from other teammates.

My point is, at least on the Knicks, Melo never showed he had THAT kind of leadership. I don't like to compare players all the time, but let's take Westbrook. Do you think prime Melo could have done what Westbrook has done in the West with that amount of talent? Do you think Wade, who is close to Melo's age and even older, could have done what he did with the Heat in 2015-2016? Maybe you do, but I haven't seen Melo ever be that type of player. The closest he was to showing he can be that kind of leader is 2015-2016, but that team collapsed, and I'm not blaming Melo for it.

In melo's defense (even tho he doesn't play any).... you can't compare guards to forwards.

This is a G-driven league.... Harden gets 49 FTs a game. Melo can have a guy piggy-back and no call.

Melo isn't Lebron.... obviously.... not even Dirk. But, had he played with a solid PG.... he would've competed.

When he had Billups and Kidd, end of their prime.... he was in a winning team.

But, you are correct, he isn't a leader and he doesn't make those around him better.

For example, if DET drafts Melo instead of Darko.... Pistons win 2 or more chips and narrative is different.

jimkcchief88

All Star

You said Melo wasn't the best player on that team....not that subjective crap that always seems to stick to black ball ballplayers in every sport. "Not a leader", "no IQ", "selfish".... all the crap that has Cap still looking for a job even tho Mike Glennon is here in Chicago making 15 million.... and yes I jus played the "race card" yes like it was Ko.com of 2006 when I joined. We had intelligent posters not jus haters who say stupid things on chief:(

You said Melo wasn't the best player on that team....not that subjective crap that always seems to stick to black ball ballplayers in every sport. "Not a leader", "no IQ", "selfish".... all the crap that has Cap still looking for a job even tho Mike Glennon is here in Chicago making 15 million.... and yes I jus played the "race card" yes like it was Ko.com of 2006 when I joined. We had intelligent posters not jus haters who say stupid things on chief:(

Why are we talking "race card" in the NBA? I don't even think I can name 10 good white players in the NBA right now, let alone 5 who I would say are "leaders" or have a "high IQ".

Let me try:
Gordon Hayward, The Gasol Brothers, Nikola Jokic, Porzingis, Kevin Love, Dirk Nowitzki, Ryan Anderson, Kyle Korver, JJ Redick

There. I did it. I got to 10, but half of them are European and 3 of the other 5 aren't even that good anymore. I guess I just named Phil Jackson's dream team. I'd take Melo's IQ over any of those guys. I forgot what we were even talking about here.

I heard Melo is planning on waiving his 8 million dollar trade kicker.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I "played the race card" because of a dumb post.: "Melo wasn't the best player on the 2012-13 team" even though he averaged 10 points better than everyone else on that team. It's easy to regurgitate the white media's take on Melo:"ballhog", "doesn't make his teammates better" and all that hating crap because a brotha is breaking bread. But stats don't lie and Melo has been the best player on the Knicks since he joined. Scorers score points...that's what they do.... point guards make the rest of the team better. Stoppers play defense. Very few NBA players in history have done all three and to judge Melo by that standard is unfair at best and being a hater at worst:(

mafra

Legend
I "played the race card" because of a dumb post.: "Melo wasn't the best player on the 2012-13 team" even though he averaged 10 points better than everyone else on that team. It's easy to regurgitate the white media's take on Melo:"ballhog", "doesn't make his teammates better" and all that hating crap because a brotha is breaking bread. But stats don't lie and Melo has been the best player on the Knicks since he joined. Scorers score points...that's what they do.... point guards make the rest of the team better. Stoppers play defense. Very few NBA players in history have done all three and to judge Melo by that standard is unfair at best and being a hater at worst:(

Start with Chris Paul.... he's never reached a Conf Finals....

mafra

Legend
Yahoo

Carmelo Anthony does not want to return to the Knicks. The Knicks want to trade Carmelo Anthony. The Houston Rockets would like to trade for Carmelo Anthony.

So far all that will has not gotten a deal nearly as close to done as has been reported, I was told by sources. There are major hurdles, and the Knicks don?t like the offers they?ve gotten so far, which is why they pulled back (not because of the Scott Perry hiring or some desire to change Anthony?s mind). As has been reported before, Anthony is willing to waive his no trade clause for the right team to get the deal done, Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN said on The Jump.

?My sources tell me he?s willing to waive the trade kicker, which is worth around $8 million, so that makes a little easier for Houston to do a trade.?

That?s nice. It doesn?t solve the core problem with a Rockets? trade.

The Rockets are over the cap so the only way this trade gets done is they send out enough salary to match and create space for Anthony. The Rockets could do that with a combination of Eric Gordon, Clint Capela, Trevor Ariza, and some expiring deals, but that cuts way too deeply into the roster and hurts the Rockets more than it helps. What the Rockets need to do in this trade is move Ryan Anderson, and his three-years, $60 million ? except the Knicks don?t want that contract on their books (even though Anderson is a good player when healthy). So now the two sides are trying to find a third team that would take on Anderson?s contract, but the Rockets are going to have to give up sweeteners ? a couple first round picks or a pick and a quality young player ? that they don?t have to get the deal done. So enter a fourth team to get the sweeteners, but that team will want things back, and quickly the house of cards falls apart.

On top of all that, the Knicks still don?t think they?re getting enough back in the trade to want to do it. Yet, anyway.

Over on the left coast, there is Portland saying ?look at us, look at us!? They would be willing to trade for Anthony, as C.J. McCollum and Damian Lillard have made clear.

One massive problem with that: Anthony has not been interested in waiving his no trade clause for anyone but Cleveland and Houston.

If he changes his mind ? and that?s a huge, unlikely ?if? ? maybe a deal could be found. The Blazers already have a top-five payroll in the NBA (may be top two when all is said and done) and that means they have to send out salary as well, someone like Evan Turner and Meyers Leonard (moving Allen Crabbe is the dream, but also highly unlikely). The Knicks could have interest in Turner, the Blazers have picks to throw in, and if a third team picked up Leonard maybe we?re close to something. But until Anthony makes it clear he would accept a trade to Portland, something he has yet to do, this is all a moot exercize.

But hey, Anthony will waive his trade kicker. So there?s that.

jimkcchief88

All Star
No surprise after the way PJAx ****ted on him and some wonder why the zinger took off without a word it's called a toxic work environment