Melo Trade Rumors

tiger0330

Legend
This sure isn't making the case for trading Melo for Ryno but I saw an article on the 5 worst contracts at every position and guess who came out #1 at PF? You guessed it Ryan Anderson, worst contract at SG? You guessed it Tim Hardaway Jr. Worst contract at C Joakim Noah. Don't see why Mills wouldn't want all 3 contracts, if he could justify Tim at 17M per, he sure should be able to justify Ryno at 20M with a pick thrown in and with Melo telling him I'm not interested in the Knicks any longer. Damn I hope Morey is interested in swapping Capela for Quinn.

Last edited:
This sure isn't making the case for trading Melo for Ryno but I saw an article on the 5 worst contracts at every position and guess who came out #1 at PF? You guessed it Ryan Anderson, worst contract at SG? You guessed it Tim Hardaway Jr. Don't see why Mills wouldn't want both contracts, if he could justify Tim at 17M per, he sure should be able to justify Ryno at 20M with a pick thrown in and with Melo telling him I'm not interested in the Knicks any longer. Damn I hope Morey is interested in swapping Capela for Quinn.

I'm interested in the rest of that list because I would have guessed Noah has the worst contract at center. We could have 3 out of 5.

Broadway

All Star
Ah, let's not get personal. Honestly, the style of Broadway's posts, I often feel like they are directed at me.

There's only a dozen or less of us who are actively posting on the forums recently and as much as we all disagree, I think we've done a great job keeping things civil. Let's not go back to the old days where people were calling each other out by name constantly on here.

If I quote and bold something you said, I'll address it but will couple it with a backup of facts(sometimes I get info mixed up at times and will correct if I catch mistake or someone else does or give credit to others). I don't think I called anyone any names but if so my apologies seriously.

I'll also draw parallels to past history of narratives and will lump "fans" as to make a point. It doesn't mean you or anyone else on this forum per say made such declarations in the past. It's highlighting the fact at what point do we move completely from hanging on to the Melo rope. Like let completely go, why don't we.

Fans agreed we should've traded for him

Fans agreed we should've tried to find 2 stars to build around him at almost all costs

Fans agreed we should've resigned him

Fans agreed we should bring in a new system to teach him to play differently

Fans agreed we do a mix of youth and vets and rebuild around him again

Fans agreed his so called paycut was sufficient

Fans agree we should hold out until the very last minute to get whatever kind of bizarre value back from him

Like why wasn't/isn't the bait cut with him already? At least Phil had the guts to call it like it is. Now we have Mills and the gang trying to repair the damage and some fans getting behind this however they see fit. I don't get it, really I don't. I could care less if we get anything back for him at this point. He made the first move this summer he asked out. He's no longer part of this team in my mind, no matter the contractual legalities. He said he wants to move on. Take the best deal for him before the season starts or waive/buyout and stretch him.

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I don't know anything about the stretch provision other than what I just read in this thread, but I'm thinking I don't want any part of that contract lingering even if it's not bad. I want this team to start fresh. Yeah, Melo's contract being gone doesn't mean Noah's contract would be gone, but I don't put Noah in the same category as Melo. Noah is a true leader and might add value in some way. I don't dislike Melo, but he's not a team player a lot of the time. He thinks he can take on any defender at any time to the point Knicks fans booed him a few times. Him getting a no trade clause was such a bad mistake. Phil was really banking on the triangle changing him without him even being the coach.

At first I had sympathy for Melo with the whole Phil thing, but he goes from wanting to live close to his son to saying he only wants to go to Cleveland or a city that's on the west coast. He'd be a perfect fit with D'Antoni again, jacking up threes all day.

tiger0330

Legend
I think the problem with taking RYNO is you are committing to an extra year (and perhaps 2 more years) of a big salary cap hit.

In other words, ROX need to surrender an asset to "dump" Anderson alone. Then, need to give NY an asset for Melo.

Ryno, Capelo, 2020 1st and right to swap picks in 2021 and 2022.
This would be my offer if they want us to eat Ryno and give them Melo (and KOQ).
This was on SBNation sounds very much like the trade you suggest above. Rox I don't think are going to give up 2 firsts and 2 seconds even if they are in 2020-2022 to get this done, maybe squeeze a second out of it. I think you guys are right though Ryno plus that 2020 first is not enough to get this done. What Portland said makes sense about they're not getting involved to make HOU a super team, so who in the EC would be willing to take Ryno?

Houston receives: Carmelo Anthony

New York receives: Ryan Anderson, Tim Quarterman, Isaiah Taylor, Houston?s 2020 and 2022 first round picks and 2020 and 2021 second round picks
Look, contrary to reports that the Knicks apparently don?t want to receive Ryan Anderson back in a trade (with good reason), this is the easiest way to get this done.
The Rockets just signed James Harden to a $1 zillion Mexican peso contract extension that will take him through the 2022-23 season. Therefore, they have to know that even if Carmelo and Chris Paul walk after this season, they?re still in decent shape going forward. Those picks probably figure to be, at worst, late-teens picks with Harden in tow. And considering Daryl Morey?s track record as a free agent recruiter, you can bet that Melo and Paul would be replaced by another star or two sooner than later if they left.
As far as the Knicks? side of things, they?re giving up the best player in the deal by far and receiving no actual players of value, so the two firsts and two seconds make up for that. Anderson?s not a bad player, per se, but a terrible fit for the Knicks on an even more terrible contract. His deal is why the Knicks get that second first rounder ? essentially it?s one pick for Melo, the other for taking on Anderson?s deal. Quarterman and Taylor would certainly be worth bringing to camp, and maybe one of them would flourish into a role player (a la Justin Holiday), but they?re mostly just salary filler on non-guaranteed deals.
This isn?t my favorite solution to this situation in the slightest, but if both sides want a swift resolution, it?s the way to go.

Kiyaman

Legend
Uh Oh .. Melo forcing a trade .. Carmelo has reportedly told Knicks he does not wish to return ..
Grey Papke - Larry Brown Sports - Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The New York Knicks may want to pump the brakes on a Carmelo Anthony trade, but the player reportedly wants nothing of it.
Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN said in a SportsCenter appearance Tuesday that Anthony has made clear to the Knicks that he wants to be traded to the Houston Rockets and has no interest in re-integrating with his current franchise.
“Carmelo Anthony has made it clear to them, I want to go to Houston, I’m not interested in talking to you about being re-incorporated back into this New York roster,” Wojnarowski said, via Kurt Helin of ProBasketballTalk. “So what they’re trying to do… Steve Mills wouldn’t have ascended to this job in New York if he wasn’t politically savvy, he doesn’t want to get into a public war here with Carmelo Anthony, who they spent over a year trying to run out of town. Houston now is prepared that these talks could run through August, September, into the start of training camp.”

mafra

Legend
NYK need to hope HOU desperate to get this done and appease their stars.

What would Morey care, right? New ownership will eventually force him out by 2020.... If HOu dethrones GSW nobody will care what they surrendered to get Melo.

This is why I suggest taking Ryno and asking for multiple picks (a pick for Melo and a pick to eat bad contract). Even swapping a pick in 2021 works for me (chances are we are better by then.... hopefully).

But Inwould donthis deal in a second.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I know all the Melo haters are loving the fact that we will eventually give Melo away for a dirty pair of gym socks, but personally I think this just sucks. Ownership in LA, NYK, and Chicago has destroyed cornerstone NBA franchises to the point they are only recognizable by logo. So what was the point of giving Melo a no trade clause and then destroying his trade value??? PJAx was an idiot that set this franchise back 5-10 years easy. So we dump Melo for nothing and then what. We don't have a starting NBA point guard or two guard on this roster. Think about that for a sec. I bet there will be 10 NCAA teams in the upcoming with a better backcourt than the Knicks. I would have like to see Melo/DRose without PJAx triangle bs. But the Melo haters will get there wish and have fun watching your NY 76ers "rebuild" for the next decade:(

tiger0330

Legend
Portland players reaching out to Melo. CJ says Melo was interested. It would be nice if Melo would expand his list to go there but I think his heart is set on playing with CP3 and JH.

paris401

Starter
I know all the Melo haters are loving the fact that we will eventually give Melo away for a dirty pair of gym socks, but personally I think this just sucks. :(

well exactly what do u think he is worth??? he is 33, bum knee (s), plays little to zero "D", does not make the players around him better... and has been beaten up by the team's exec's... a dirty pair of gym socks mite be giving up toooo much...

Broadway

All Star
well exactly what do u think he is worth??? he is 33, bum knee (s), plays little to zero "D", does not make the players around him better... and has been beaten up by the team's exec's... a dirty pair of gym socks mite be giving up toooo much...

Not to mention Melo kills his own trade value by saying he wants out and only listing 2 teams but that's probably Phil's fault too.

Broadway

All Star
Portland players reaching out to Melo. CJ says Melo was interested. It would be nice if Melo would expand his list to go there but I think his heart is set on playing with CP3 and JH.

They tried the same thing with PG13 and failed. This is nothing more than boys talking with boys and showing love. Melo is well liked across the league that's no secret but Melo does what Melo wants, not what could be considered wise, honorable, challenging, or mutually beneficial. Never forget how he arrived in New York

mafra

Legend
They tried the same thing with PG13 and failed. This is nothing more than boys talking with boys and showing love. Melo is well liked across the league that's no secret but Melo does what Melo wants, not what could be considered wise, honorable, challenging, or mutually beneficial. Never forget how he arrived in New York

Would make Melo a hypocrite... Flying across country from son... But POR isn't far from his Cali home... And if his options are being stuck in NY or accept this... Hmmm.... Still, seems unlikely...

Damian Lillard said he's reached out to Carmelo Anthony and said it's a "real possibility" that Anthony could join the Blazers.

The Blazers reportedly have made it clear they won't be involved in a Melo trade unless they're the ones getting the All-Star forward. Lillard isn't usually the recruiting type, but C.J. McCollum has touched on this subject and even posted a photoshopped picture of Anthony in a Blazers uniform. Anthony does have a no-trade clause and several reports say he wants to go to Houston, so the Rockets should be considered as the frontrunners.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I think Melo going to the Blazers would be more interesting and I'd like to see him have success there. He'd be on a young team and maybe get them to the next level as opposed to joining Harden and CP3, which could be fun, but not as fun and interesting as Melo helping a younger time and possibly becoming a contender. I think he'd look good in a Blazers uniform also.

Broadway

All Star
Would make Melo a hypocrite... Flying across country from son... But POR isn't far from his Cali home...

He's already a hippo, especially if we factor Cali home...travel by plane

Houston is 3:30hrs away from NYC 1700mi
Portland is 6hrs away from NYC 2900mi

Houston is 4:30hrs away from Cali 1800mi
Portland is 2hrs away from Cali 800mi

Updated comments from Lillard on another article says he spoke with Melo and wanted him to know feeling is mutual "if he's interested"....ummmmm didn't you clarify that before you got off the phone with him Lillard?

If Melo wanted to be in PDX or wanted to expand his list he would've done so by now. I think he's savvy enough to know it's important to make a move as quick as possible to a team he's supposedly trying to win with and other roster moves being made. He'll wait out being traded to Houston because he knows he has $56mil coming to him(still a Top 10 paid player after all the new deals have been handed out) and we're okay having him stick around.

Also if we're so content with having him stick around how come we haven't said we will absolutely not trade him to Houston, wouldn't that be the more gamesmanship thing to do? You know like teams who defiantly say they won't trade such and such player but then still do. There appears to be an obvious reason why we haven't done this.

Cedi Osman a guy that anyone knows anything about? Cleveland would probably trade us Osman plus a bunch of contracts like Shump that expire in the next 2 seasons. Might be a path of less resistance to get cap space in the next 2 years plus a young prospect who can play the wing and the 2 guard.

Not even worth discussing if Osman is a nobody though. I know literally nothing about him.

tiger0330

Legend
Cedi Osman thats got to be some kind of joke. Just read about him, they just signed him from Turkey for an 8.9M 3 yr deal. Cavs would have to trade 7 contracts like his before they could get Melo. He averaged 7ppg in the Euroleague but he must have some game since the Cavs wanted him, they wouldn't give Jamal the full tax MLE because they wanted part of it to sign this gut.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Not to mention Melo kills his own trade value by saying he wants out and only listing 2 teams but that's probably Phil's fault too.

PJAx did way more damage than Melo did on his own...you don't devalue a product you are trying to sell negotiations 101...I sell cars for living and I don't try sell cars by saying the car sucks you build value instead

jimkcchief88

All Star

It's funny how Knicks fans live in a bubble of badness...teams are starting to line up for Melo because he is still an elite NBA scorer...this is the same thing all y'all said about JR:"he's a chucker...plays no d...not worth a cent" until he won a chip with Lebron