True hardball

nixon7

Benchwarmer
The Knicks goal is to develop their young players. It is also in their interest to get as good a draft pick as possible in June 2018.

Therefore:

1) They should not accept a bad trade of Carmelo to Houston. They should try to negotiate trades which make sense for them, without regard to whether or not Carmelo will accept them. They should be prepared to begin the season with Carmelo on the bench. There is no reason to play him. What would he teach the younger players? How to be a ball hog and not play defense? No thanks. If he gets injured, it further diminshes his trade value. The longer he sits the more apt he is to accept a trade which actually benefits the Knicks.

2) They should not accept a bad trade for Kyrie Irving. If Irving really wants to join the Knicks, he can later on. There is no benefit in the Knicks acquiring Irving prior to July 2018. Acquiring him sooner would only mean, getting a lesser draft pick and time not spent developing their younger players. Ramon Sessions will probably teach the young players better work habits and fundamentals.

Period. End of story. Any deviation from the plan above would just be a sign of weakness. Time for a little manning up and some old fashion backbone.

One way or another, I think we are heading in the direction of Melo still being on this team this season. I don't think he will come off the bench for us. I think Hornacek will start him. Melo wouldn't be the first player forced to continue to play for a team he hates.

mafra

Legend
Part of signing Ramon Sessions is b/c he's a good fit with KP and Melo. He's a savvy vet who looks to distribute the ball first and foremost. He's good at uptempo and P&R stuff and he understands spacing; he knows how to pass and set up teammates.

I truly believe Mills and Perry feel a starting squad of Sessions, THJr, Melo, KP, Noah is good enough to compete.... With Lee and WHG the first 2 off the bench. They probably believe that top-7 (with the rook and depth and everybody else) will be twice as good as before with a better PG and better chemistry.

I don't think they want or prefer to keep Melo but would rather keep and compete with him than give him away for nothing.

and1

Rotation player
if melo is still on the team at the start of this upcoming season - which he very likely may be - the only real reason to not play him would be to ensure that he doesn't get injured so he'll still be available for trading purposes come the ASB deadline. benching him simply because he's being picky about his trade destination is kind of not a good idea, especially since the organization GAVE him the NTC. he didn't put a gun to anybody's head. they gave it to him when they didn't have to. it would backfire on them and make them look even dumber than they already look. you know it's true.
on the other hand, if you limit his minutes to something like 20 per game, you kill several birds. you piss him off. you minimize chance of getting injured. and you give more time to the younger dudes so they can develop.
even better, bring HIM off the bench. now THAT would really piss him off to the point where he might accept going to any team that's sure to make the playoffs.

tiger0330

Legend
Pretty obvious but on ESPN radio they were saying the Melo talks with the Rox are dead for now but may pick up again before training camp opens. Also pretty obvious Portland doesn't want Anderson otherwise I think Crabbe could have been involved in a 3 team trade for Melo, best chance for a trade remains the Knicks taking Anderson and that future first, Houston also has signed Tarik Black recently so they probably could add one of their young centers like Onauku or Qi to the deal. Question is whether this is a good or bad trade for the Knicks.

Pretty obvious but on ESPN radio they were saying the Melo talks with the Rox are dead for now but may pick up again before training camp opens. Also pretty obvious Portland doesn't want Anderson otherwise I think Crabbe could have been involved in a 3 team trade for Melo, best chance for a trade remains the Knicks taking Anderson and that future first, Houston also has signed Tarik Black recently so they probably could add one of their young centers like Onauku or Qi to the deal. Question is whether this is a good or bad trade for the Knicks.

I don't think we do it. I think Melo is a Knick to start the season.

mafra

Legend
Perry doesn't want to take on a bad contract... Worst case scenario is Melo stays next season out of spite.... even then, the contract is off the books come 2 years from now.

The last thing NYK wants is to be sitting here 2 years a from now and they can't sign Irving or Thompson or anybody else of significance b/c, in our haste to get Melo out of town, we're stuck with Ryno's contract for the 2019-2020 season.

Again, if HOU wants Melo and wants to dump a bad contract.... the price begins with 2 assets. A late first rounder in 2020 isn't nearly enough.

paris401

Starter
if HOU wants Melo and wants to dump a bad contract.... the price begins with 2 assets. A late first rounder in 2020 isn't nearly enough.

they both have sucky contracts- while Me-Lo is the better player, if u add in how he mite disrupt a locker room, its probably a wash... u can probably stick anderson on any team, make him the 16th man on a 15 man roster and u wont hear a peep out of him ... and why not... here is a slow/white boy who plays no "D", and ain't that good of a shooter making 20m per.... as don king would say... only in america...