Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default [KO.com] Will Carmelo Anthony still be a Knick on opening night?

New article on the home page from our newest contributor, Conor Geelan!

Will Carmelo Anthony still be a Knick on opening night?

Itís October 19th, almost 8 pm EST, in Oklahoma City as the Thunder get ready to take on the New York Knicks. The stadium is buzzing as the starting lineup takes the floor. Kristaps Porzingis, Tim Hardaway Jr, Willy Hernangomez walk on. However, is Carmelo Anthony walking onto the court of Chesapeake Energy Arena floor in a Knicks jersey approximately 60 days from now? Letís take a look and see if he most likely will or will not be a Knick when the season starts.

Full story: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

FYI: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Another question is if Melo is here opening day, does Hornacek play him or does he pull a D'Antoni and bench him like D'Ants did to Starbury. If that's the Knicks intention to bench him to give playing time to others I think they should be up front with Melo that they intend to cut his playing time this season, maybe he'll be more flexible in accepting a trade to POR.

Lurker

I don't think Melo will be shut down but I could definitely see a decrease in his minutes, which could be given to Lance Thomas or Michael Beasley. Realistically, in my opinion, he will remain a starter with good minutes.

Veteran

If Melo is still a Knick on opening night .. I want head coach Hornacek to put a effort into winning by changing the players in the starter lineup to a 2-way starter-lineup by adding offense/defense/and strong rebounding on both ends, plus add 5 to 6 bench-players to our game rotation the first 35 games of the season so the roster stay prepared to perform every game.

Starters .. PG-Session, SG-Lee, SF-Melo, PF-Quinn, C-Noah
    Bench .. PG-Frank, SG-THJr, SF-Kuz, PF-Willy, C-KP

Veteran

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    If Melo is still a Knick on opening night .. I want head coach Hornacek to put a effort into winning by changing the players in the starter lineup to a 2-way starter-lineup by adding offense/defense/and strong rebounding on both ends, plus add 5 to 6 bench-players to our game rotation the first 35 games of the season so the roster stay prepared to perform every game.

Starters .. PG-Session, SG-Lee, SF-Melo, PF-Quinn, C-Noah
    Bench .. PG-Frank, SG-THJr, SF-Kuz, PF-Willy, C-KP
    I'm going to go ahead and say it now, KP will never play a game in a Knicks uniform where he is not a starter.

Veteran

Originally Posted by cgeelan
    I don't think Melo will be shut down but I could definitely see a decrease in his minutes, which could be given to Lance Thomas or Michael Beasley. Realistically, in my opinion, he will remain a starter with good minutes.

Having bum n bummer (Lance Thomas and Michael Beasley) on the Knicks make me want to give Melo 48 minutes of playing time in every game this season ....

Veteran

Originally Posted by htr10
    I'm going to go ahead and say it now, KP will never play a game in a Knicks uniform where he is not a starter.
    Then the Knicks need to get KP a personal season trainer to be at every game asap

The past two season KP proved his talent is only worth a 30 win season as a starter .. I watched all of KP offseason Euro-games .. KP defense sucks, KP decision-making, movements, and passing skills are poor, the Euro opponents were scoring on KP down low with ease.
    As long as the Knicks have a puppet head coach who put no-defensive-effort stars like KP, Melo, Rose, and THJr in the starter lineup .. ESPN will always predict the Knicks having a 30 win season during the offseason.

Melo stating involved.... practicing with teammates and sending his Euro teammates encouraging texts. Pretty professional from Melo.

Veteran

Originally Posted by mafra
    Melo stating involved.... practicing with teammates and sending his Euro teammates encouraging texts. Pretty professional from Melo.
    Yeah, this situation is nowhere as ugly as it could be given the circumstances.

I'm looking forward to the Knicks this coming season even more now that things don't seem toxic. It's probably going to be a lot less toxic anyway (it's still the Dolan era, so we'll see).

Sig made by Sons of Thunder

Veteran

I always thought Melo was overrated, especially when it came round to player rankings but even I find this be an incredibly low ranking. I may have had him in the lower 20s right at 30 maybe

What this is more evident of, his time is dwindling fast. He needs to start preparing mentally what retirement will be like because in about 4yrs he's more than likely done. Take notes from T-Mac...recently inducted into the HOF, a talent IMO he wasn't better than

Originally Posted by Broadway
    I always thought Melo was overrated, especially when it came round to player rankings but even I find this be an incredibly low ranking. I may have had him in the lower 20s right at 30 maybe

What this is more evident of, his time is dwindling fast. He needs to start preparing mentally what retirement will be like because in about 4yrs he's more than likely done. Take notes from T-Mac...recently inducted into the HOF, a talent IMO he wasn't better than
    Most ridiculous ranking is Lonzo at 64 ahead of Melo at 65. The kid played a few summer league games and they have him ranked ahead of a 1st ballot HOF.

Looking less likely that a Melo to Houston trade is happening, the Rox need to move Ryno and I think there are no takers w/o the Knicks moving their 2018 1st rounder to expedite this trade. Melo falling out of the top 50 ranked players is probably accurate which is going to make it harder for the Knicks to trade him.

What are they basing this on? In terms of "most prolithic scorers" ... Melo is still a top 25 talent.

If Melo joined GSW last year, not KD, then the perception would be totally different, right?

This is a PG league.... yet Paul has never navigated his team to a Conf Final.

Lonzo Ball? Really?

Originally Posted by mafra
    What are they basing this on? In terms of "most prolithic scorers" ... Melo is still a top 25 talent.

If Melo joined GSW last year, not KD, then the perception would be totally different, right?

This is a PG league.... yet Paul has never navigated his team to a Conf Final.

Lonzo Ball? Really?
    I think they used the ESPN computer ranking system to come up with this. Took into account players ability on both sides of the ball since they used both RPM and defensive RPM. Melo is 64 and Ball is 63 now in the rankings.

Veteran

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    I think they used the ESPN computer ranking system to come up with this. Took into account players ability on both sides of the ball since they used both RPM and defensive RPM. Melo is 64 and Ball is 63 now in the rankings.

They are taking a few things into account, including some advanced metrics coupled with player value and projecting outcome/impact on game going forward. Melo is a Dinosaur of sorts