[KO.com] Will Carmelo Anthony still be a Knick on opening night?

tiger0330

Legend
Harkless, Swannigan or Voneleh and a draft pick..... done deal.

NY Post said POR wasn't one of the teams the Knicks contacted. 3 teams mentioned so far that Melo would go to, Rox, Cavs and OKC. There was mention of a third team besides the Cavs and Rox that the Knicks spoke to I wonder if it was OKC? If not maybe one of the LA teams, I doubt the Lakers with them wanting to have cap space for Lebron and Melo seems like a bad fit with the Clips. Anybody take a guess at that mystery 3rd team the Knicks talked to.

Broadway

All Star
NY Post said POR wasn't one of the teams the Knicks contacted. 3 teams mentioned so far that Melo would go to, Rox, Cavs and OKC. There was mention of a third team besides the Cavs and Rox that the Knicks spoke to I wonder if it was OKC? If not maybe one of the LA teams, I doubt the Lakers with them wanting to have cap space for Lebron and Melo seems like a bad fit with the Clips. Anybody take a guess at that mystery 3rd team the Knicks talked to.

I said earlier today PDX was a Knicks angle(didn't ever believe the rumor of Carmelo's interest in their team) and not a Carmelo angle and if reports are true they didn't make his short list, then I was right

Woj on ESPN also stated the list is 10 days old but someone leaked this to the media. Pretty sure Knicks wouldn't have done this. Notice this leaks after reports suggested the Knicks haven't spoken with Rockets in quite a while and Perry's/Mills expectation of Carmelo showing up next week

mafra

Legend
Maybe this is the pivot point, and Perry is the catalyst. Maybe CLE goes all-in to make 1 last run at this.... Maybe they convince NYK to take all their unwanted garabage in exchange for Melo and a KOQ or Lee depth guy.

Maybe they give NYK the Brooklyn pick as the incentive (in exchange for a NYK 1st this year or next).

Perry should do everything he can to secure that BKLYN pick. Just make it part of deal even if it's only that NYK will have right to swap picks with CLE this Summer.

Dumping Melo and having a highly probably chance to secure a top 3 pick is the absolute ideal for NYK.

It'll never happen, of course. But at least it's easier to swallow for CLE than trading Love or TT

Forcing NY to eat Shump and Frye while getting Melo and Lee? Man, that CLE team would be tough to beat come May.

Thomas
Lee
Lebron
Melo
Love
Crowder
Thompson
JR

That's a potent 8 deep roster to match GSW

If Melo goes to Cleveland and we get that Brooklyn lottery pick, I will throw a party at my house for our front office. As Knicks fans, we all know that's not going to happen though.

and1

Rotation player
If Melo goes to Cleveland and we get that Brooklyn lottery pick, I will throw a party at my house for our front office. As Knicks fans, we all know that's not going to happen though.

that's definitely not going to happen. cleveland's going to need that pick, and all the picks they can get, once lebron leaves after this season.

Broadway

All Star

We are not receiving any truly valuable asset from Cleveland and they already sent a message(Windhorst/ Woj reporting) Melo's option yr is a concern....not happening!!!

I'm typing the below in all Caps just so we're clear....

CLEVELAND TRADED KYRIE FOR THE BROOKLYN PICK THEN HELD UP THE DEAL ON SOME FALSERY BS IN AN ATTEMPT TO EXTRACT TATUM/BROWN/MORE ASSETS FROM BOSTON, WE ARE NOT GETTING BROOKLYN'S PICK

mafra

Legend
I don't see it happening either, but we also have to remember there isn't much difference between the BKLYN pick and the NYK pick (especially without Melo).

In a lottery system, odds are both picks will be very high.... what's the worst risk CLE assumes if they agree to let NY swap the two picks?

In other words, perhaps CLE trades back from 1 to 5?

You get the point. I don't think CLE hands the pick to NY outright, but if NY hands them Melo and takes 2 bad contracts off their hands.... that might be worth it for CLE, to risk the swap.... chances are both picks will be in top 5.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks hope to complete a trade sending Carmelo Anthony to either OKC or Cleveland by Monday, according to NBA reporter David Aldridge.

A deal with OKC would almost certainly include Enes Kanter to make the salaries match. Regarding a possible trade with the Cavs, the Knicks reportedly want Tristan Thompson but Cleveland has not been willing to include him in the deal. Aldridge also notes that Portland has tried to engage in trade talks, but "the Knicks have not been interested in the Blazers? offers, which have included young vets like Maurice Harkless and Evan Turner." Stay tuned, as we may finally have a resolution to the melodrama this weekend.

(Rotoworld)

This makes sense. I felt all along TT would be the target with CLE, and probably the best "get" NY could hope for here.

WHG, TT, KP would be a solid rotation for our C-PF spots.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks will be lucky to get that 2nd round throw in from the Cavs that they got for IT's hip injury. That Brooklyn pick is so critical to the Cavs not only in rebuilding for the future if Lebron leaves but might be important to convince him to stay if they can draft Doncic or Porter.

Broadway

All Star
The Knicks hope to complete a trade sending Carmelo Anthony to either OKC or Cleveland by Monday, according to NBA reporter David Aldridge.

A deal with OKC would almost certainly include Enes Kanter to make the salaries match. Regarding a possible trade with the Cavs, the Knicks reportedly want Tristan Thompson but Cleveland has not been willing to include him in the deal. Aldridge also notes that Portland has tried to engage in trade talks, but "the Knicks have not been interested in the Blazers’ offers, which have included young vets like Maurice Harkless and Evan Turner." Stay tuned, as we may finally have a resolution to the melodrama this weekend.

(Rotoworld)

This makes sense. I felt all along TT would be the target with CLE, and probably the best "get" NY could hope for here.

TT is an awful asset to acquire especially if we're looking at the numbers and fit objectively. Just because they Knicks may have interest in him doesn't make this a more ideal trade.

You can't play TT or WHG together ever because neither help stretch the floor. It's almost a certainty #kporzee will ever bring his game inside more

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend

A deal with OKC would almost certainly include Enes Kanter to make the salaries match. Regarding a possible trade with the Cavs, the Knicks reportedly want Tristan Thompson but Cleveland has not been willing to include him in the deal. Aldridge also notes that Portland has tried to engage in trade talks, but "the Knicks have not been interested in the Blazers’ offers, which have included young vets like Maurice Harkless and Evan Turner." Stay tuned, as we may finally have a resolution to the melodrama this weekend.

(Rotoworld)

It's coming down to the wire. If the Knicks can't move Melo by the start of training camp, with multiple teams involved now, I'd say the odds are the Knicks can't strike a deal and Melo is a Knick for the 2018 season. Enos Kanter and TT would be almost as bad as Ryno in a trade for Melo to me.

Kiyaman

Legend
For Knicks media day Melo Melo Melo are the only topic .. mismanagement n puppet head coach are waiting on Melo decision a few days before training-camp open.
ESPN has the Knicks as a low percentage winning team for the upcoming season with/or without Melo.
Listing the Knicks as one of the 5 bottom teams in 2017-18 season along with Suns, Nets, Bulls, Hawks, and Pacers.

I hate to agree with ESPN .. the Knicks organization knew Melo had to be traded asap a month before the end of regular season. The Bulls, Pacers, Hawks, Cavs, Celtricks, and Clippers organization had no problem trading their star franchise player during the offseason months before training-camp .. Plus all 6 organization were in the postseason games without a thought of trading their star franchise players.

What did the Knicks organization do in offseason to improve from the previous 31 win season? Nothing!
Are Melo still calling all the shots for the Knicks? YES!
All the Knicks top news throughout the offseason were all bout Melo Melo Melo ....
Training-Camp are bout to open and all the Knicks news are bout Melo Melo Melo !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
It's coming down to the wire. If the Knicks can't move Melo by the start of training camp, with multiple teams involved now, I'd say the odds are the Knicks can't strike a deal and Melo is a Knick for the 2018 season. Enos Kanter and TT would be almost as bad as Ryno in a trade for Melo to me.

Dolan's stupid contract to Melo gave Melo full control over the Knicks destiny the next two to three seasons.
Dolan's stupid contract to THJ will be next.