[KO.com] Will Carmelo Anthony still be a Knick on opening night?

attachment.php

we'll see.

Don't buy this for one second. Are you an internet site or Twitter account that wants views this Summer? Post that a Melo trade is imminent.

Broadway

All Star
Don't buy this for one second. Are you an internet site or Twitter account that wants views this Summer? Post that a Melo trade is imminent.

Legion Hoops has some credibility but as you said going by the chain of events I wouldn't bank on it. I will say, this will be the first sign of disaster to the rest of league if he's not moved and not present-mia during the first day or two of media day. There was really no upside for us dragging this on

We're always trying to "win the battle" instead of "winning the war" with a result of losses on all fronts

Legion Hoops has some credibility but as you said going by the chain of events I wouldn't bank on it. I will say, this will be the first sign of disaster to the rest of league if he's not moved and not present-mia during the first day or two of media day. There was really no upside for us dragging this on

We're always trying to "win the battle" instead of "winning the war" with a result of losses on all fronts

If we've been offered a deal where we didn't have to take Ryan Anderson's contract, then yeah, we probably should have taken it. My guess is that all deals offered to us have involved getting Anderson or some other terrible contract that lasts at least 3 seasons. Worst case scenario with keeping Melo is 2 more seasons with him, if he picks up his player option and we can't move him this season or next.

We already have Noah's and THJ's awful contracts. If we added yet another 3 year or longer bad contract, our stupid front office will inevitably trade a 1st round pick to offload at least one of them. We will then use the freed cap space to sign another terrible long-term contract.

Kiyaman

Legend
i still say melo is gone by feb. 8th 2018. any takers?

What u see .. is what u get ..
In the past 20 years NO NBA owner has been willing to give Dolan's Knicks a equal trade -- especially for the likes of Dolan's type of contracts to Allan Houston n Melo's NTC.

Melo's contract were written for Melo to be a keeper throughout the 5 seasons !!!

tiger0330

Legend
I agree, ball is on the 1 yd line, Melo will be traded by the end of his week, he'll be a Knick tomorrow, are some of the predictions we've seen on Twitter. Nothing has changed, NY and nobody else it seems wants to take Ryno, Rox don't have a first rounder until 2020, Knicks won't give up their firsts so unless Melo says he'll go somewhere else he'll be in training camp. He's being stubborn but he knows his future isn't in NY, eventually he'll waive that NTC.

tiger0330

Legend
Reports are Melo will accept a trade to Portland if they can't deal him to Houston. I would think the framework of the deal is largely done because its taken so long waiting for Melo to waive his NTC.

and1

Rotation player
attachment.php

yep, i saw this. not sure how real it is, but dame and CJ have been mentioned a whole lot in the past bunch of weeks.
we'll see.

Attachments

• portland.jpg
    portland.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 18

mafra

Legend
POR is almost the ideal spot for Melo, in terms of fit, outside of WASH.

He'll be playing with 2 STUD guards; He'd be the 3rd option; he would be surrounded by a SF and a C who can defend; and there would be nothing to lose (and so much to gain).

POR has enough assets and salary to make this work.... easily.

Oregon is a lovely place to live.
It's far away from everything but if Melo can accept that.... go there ala Pippen, at end of his career.... it would reinvigorate him.

And, other than SA, and OKC with both KD and RW, no other team in West came close to standing toe-to-toe with GSW (like POR did last 2 playoffs). Forget HOU Melo.... Paul-Harden and that roster not close to beating GSW.... POR a lot closer. Those 2 guards are much younger and have more moxxy.

mafra

Legend
Knicks President Steve Mills never mentioned Carmelo Anthony in a blog he wrote describing the team's outlook under new leadership.

"Reshaping the Knicks as a championship contender will be a step-by-step process, and along the way, the plan will demand patience, as our young core of Kristaps Porzingis, Tim Hardaway Jr., Willy Hernang?mez, Frank Ntilikina and Ron Baker mature," Mills wrote on MSG's website.

The Knicks are hoping Anthony will open his no-trade clause to include other suitors, according to ESPN. The Knicks have been seeking a trade for the veteran forward, who is said to be willing to waive his no-trade clause and wants to join the Rockets. However, the Knicks have not been able to agree on a trade involving Anthony, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported.

In the wide-ranging blog post, Mills also expressed that he would explore his options as GM -- regardless of what they may be.

"A general manager - especially in today's world of free agency and player movement - must always have his antenna up for all possibilities," he said. "That requires a kind of agility mixed with intuition."

Mills concluded the blog post by encouraging those on the team to be all-around team players -- not just those who focus on talent alone.

"Talent is crucial, but talent without will won't get you far," he wrote. If my team's makeup is to attack all loose balls and win that battle more than our opponent, only then will I be satisfied. That's the kind of club I want to construct, the sort of team I'd pay to watch."

"I want us to set a standard. I want us to put our stakes in the ground and say, "this is our culture."

If a Melo trade happens this weekend, then great. Stephen A Smith said yesterday that the Knicks and Rockets haven't spoken in weeks. Maybe instead Melo accepts a trade to Portland, but I highly doubt that is a real thing right now.

tiger0330

Legend
I doubt if it happens this w/e but I am looking at what Melo does in the pre-season to see if it happens before the season begins. If he doesn't show up at media day and/or boycotts training camp then he's as good as gone before the season begins.

Broadway

All Star
POR is almost the ideal spot for Melo, in terms of fit, outside of WASH.

He'll be playing with 2 STUD guards; He'd be the 3rd option; he would be surrounded by a SF and a C who can defend; and there would be nothing to lose (and so much to gain).

POR has enough assets and salary to make this work.... easily.

Oregon is a lovely place to live.
It's far away from everything but if Melo can accept that.... go there ala Pippen, at end of his career.... it would reinvigorate him.

And, other than SA, and OKC with both KD and RW, no other team in West came close to standing toe-to-toe with GSW (like POR did last 2 playoffs). Forget HOU Melo.... Paul-Harden and that roster not close to beating GSW.... POR a lot closer. Those 2 guards are much younger and have more moxxy.

I find so many things about this Melo situation as a fail and it's embarrassing. Let's look at the Kyrie situation as an example...he had a 4 team trade list yet over half the league called the Cavs to inquire of trade possibilities when it got leaked he wanted a trade. The team(Boston) that traded for him wasn't on his 4 team list and he never sent word prior to trade he'd re-up with the team that traded for him. Many within the NBA community feel Boston offered a substantial package for Kyrie. Boston didn't care...they went all in for Kyrie because when it's worth the salt, risks will be taken.

Now ask yourself as a Knick fan why hasn't any of this transpired for Melo? Why didn't Cleveland wedge their way in for Melo prior to the Kyrie demand? Why did Cleveland say they aren't trading the great Kevin Love for Melo last yr? If Portland is any kind of potential suitor why haven't they contacted the Knicks and bettered an offer(over Rox Anderson) for Melo? The main reason PDX got in the mix was because Houston needed a 3rd team. PDX declined such overtures probably because Anderson was the deal breaker...okay why didn't they take over from there? Contact Melo's representation hot and heavy and make a substantial offer to the Knicks. The PDX blurbs are what the Knicks want when it comes to dumping Melo, not really sure why they have bad contracts too...although they do have better draft picks to offer. Neil Olshey(makes pretty good deals) he won't offer much. The offers won't improve if Melo is so-called opting out next yr, why would anyone give up anything of worth for an expensive half season rental of Melo? Would Melo commit there long-term...highly doubtful!

Now let's talk about how Phil was apparently so disrespectful to a 1st Ballot HOF, Best Pure Scorer, Top Popularity List Best Player In The League, Olympic-NCAA Championship-Hoodie Melo past couple yrs...well at least Phil had the wherewithal to call it like it is.

The new regime won't even acknowledge through commentary Melo even exist from Steve Mills and Perry's recent press on the vision of this team going forward. What kind of respect is that? Oh wait they saw some pick-up games he was playing in at his gym.

Here we are today wondering if Melo's going to show during Media Day and if his potential non showing will have affect on #kporzee's visibility. If he doesn't show the optics here would serve to the rest of the league everything is great in NYC, come play here because we'll treat you with honor and respect.

While Knicks are preaching new visions and better things to come, the Melo situation clouds all of the hope and positive vibes it could bring at present.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
The Kyrie situation is different b/c he's 10 years younger and didn't have a NTC.

POR wants Melo and supposedly made an offer.... They didn't want to be the third wheel, and help HOU.

I believe if Melo went public and waived his NTC, there would be offers pouring in.... Not "WOW" offers, but something nonetheless.

I agree that the CLE silence is really telling.... Lebron obviously wants nothing to do with his best friend Melo. I mean, if he truly wanted Melo.... and he's available for practically pennies on the dollar.... Why not offer Tristan and draft picks for Melo and KOQ?

I think Melo has a good heart, he's handled all this nYK BS like a true professional.... Yet, how he handles coming to NY, his treatment of Lin, his attitude on the court (not being a leader) is ultimately what sabatoged his career.

I would prefer to get Moe Harkless and a draft pick and be done with this.... But we all know Melo will stay here out of spite (bc he won't get his way, which is to go to HOU).

I think this team will be worse with him, than they will be if they dump him.... So I'm all for him staying (to ensure we are a lottery team).

Kiyaman

Legend
If a Melo trade happens this weekend, then great. Stephen A Smith said yesterday that the Knicks and Rockets haven't spoken in weeks. Maybe instead Melo accepts a trade to Portland, but I highly doubt that is a real thing right now.

The Knicks not speaking to the Houston Rockets bout a Melo-trade is the brightest move the Knicks made all offseason. The thought of Ryan Anderson brings back memories of Andrea Bargnani.
What did Ryan Anderson do on the court for the Rockets to give him a Max contract?
Ryan Anderson is 6.10 shooting 40% from FG, averaging 13 pts, 5 rb, and no blocks in 30 minutes .. Ryan has to be the owners son in law.

The Melo-trade to Portland's seems to be the best offer out there having decent players to trade like Maurice Harkless, Meyers Leonard, Al-Farouq Aminu and Ed Davis. Evan Turner is the only one with the ridiculous contract (3 years $54M) i don't want.
Melo shouldn't have a problem mixing with a star backcourt tandem of Damian Lillard n CJ McCollum .. make the trade before training-camp!

Broadway

All Star
Woj drops the bomb everyone was waiting for but I think this is more a game of chicken between Melo and Knicks

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Quite comical Melo waited all summer until right up to the eves of "Media Day" to expand his list...when team rosters are bombarded with cap issues

This is Melo's way of telling the Knicks "I'm Not Suiting Up For Y'all." I knew this drama was coming, this organization is a mess.

lol @ the list including Cavs(they were always there) and the article stating the Cavs are nervous about Melo's PO Yr....WUUUUUUUUUUUUWAAAAHHHAAAHAAAAAAAHAAA! Already getting started keeping his trade value Yucky!