What are your expectations for Porzingis this year?

Broadway

All Star
I'd agree the way the team is constructed there's no need to play him at center, we have enough guys this year where he doesn't have to even play backup at the 5. Still a work in progress, only took one 3 against the Nets and is recognizing he needs to play closer to the basket for the high percentage shot. His post game is basic, took a couple of hook shots which he missed and short jumpers close in which he made. His best play was something a guard would do, change of direction on a crossover dribble for a dunk but he's still growing his game as a big man. It's early but I did not see the All Star he's predicting yet.

He comes off very high maintenance. If he actually expanded his game he would be willing to play wherever and especially at a position where he'd have the biggest advantage as the article pointed out. Listen we are not "counting" on Noah going forward. Noah was a very bad signing but #kporzee doesn't want to play down there due to the physicality he's pure finesse and soft. He'll be a bonafied front runner this yr.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I love how every one still ignores kiyamans crazy talk on here.

been a while since I posted.

I am not sure what to expect when it comes to KP

the kids had 3 or so head coaches in 2 seasons lol.

He has also had a revolving cast of characters.

I am not sure Kiya how him playing team ball is the issue when he has had to deal with 2 ball dominant players in rose and melo

its virtually impossible for him to shoot shot shot when last year there were barely any plays run for him to shoot the ball.

he almost had to force himself into the offense at times.

I think this year if we work the pick and roll correctly, he will have some games where he looks unstoppable.

the key for him is to notice when his shot is off, not to force the issue but to focus on the other areas of his game like rebounding and defense.

if he can carry the offense other games then non double digit rebounding is ok to me.

I consider this his real rookie year as unlike many other rookies he hasnt gotten the greenlight yet, a rookie has to be given some freedom on the court to make some mistakes and progress without having the expectations be so high because of other well knowns on their team.

Karl anthony towns was able to make mistakes and get away with the learning curve, same with anthony davis, same with embiid and many other young bigs in the league.

playing along side melo rose noah and other veterans he hasnt really been able to have a 5-25 shooting night and learn from game tape what he did wrong. It has always been melo taking over and isolating for half the game virtually blocking porzingas out of the offense for long stretches.

this will be the first year porzingas can fully go in every night and with limited fear try his best to maximize his potential.

with that being said this discussion should be more valid in about 3 months when we truly see what hornacek has in store for him.

Wsup DFDH ....
u mean members dont respond to my comments on KP media hype-up talent .. i doubt anyone ignores it, u didnt.
I also wrote a piece on KP having 3 head coaches, in the two seasons in the NBA could be confusing, plus whatever position the Knicks special trainers been preparing KP for the 2 seasons are not working out so well for KP to diss the coaches/teammates by not going to the final meeting .. I also wrote a piece on last season individual ISO-players Rose n Melo freezing KP tier-3 performance out of the offense throughout the season, but they did that to all their teammates. What a lot of fans did not mention last season were all the new players on the team also started freezing KP out of the offense too, after they threw KP the ball 10 or 15 feet from the basket n what did KP do .. KP would dribble the ball 20 feet from the basket n shoot rarely ever passing the ball or setting a pick for a teammate.
The little bit of time that Noah played last season, Noah gained no assist off of KP last season, when as a Bull player Noah average 3 assist from Gasol n Gibson frontcourt offense, and 1 or more dimes from Deng per game.
In this upcoming season lets watch how KP performs on defense .. running back on defense, KP position on the court in a halfcourt defense, and how well KP switch on defense, and in the same games watch how Knicks opponents PF perform on defense.

Im hoping KP get his act together as a frontcourt player throughout the upcoming season .. It don't look good when a 7.3 KP mentioning that he waste energy at the center position (as if he could play another position well, if so what position?) the statement KP made says he's lazy, and shouldn't be given over 24 minute per game.

Kiyaman

Legend
yeah, i don't think he should play center either. i really hope that horns doesn't try to force him to play the 5.
how many minutes did durant play the center last year? i mean what's the big deal? why are people even still talking about this?
but the 'wasting a lot of energy' part is a little odd. i hope he doesn't feel that way about playing defense in general hahaaaa.

So true .. im still trying to figure out what position KP would play well at after 2 seasons.
KP is not a multi-positional player like Durant or Green, they could play 3 position well.
Plus they know how to switch position on offense n defense.

KP poor performance as a PF n center or frontcourt player does not make me upset that i BOOED KP on draft night.
KP has not been NBA ready the past two seasons .. im still trying to figure out how KP got so many fans with the type of performance he puts out on the court ???

dk7th

Benchwarmer
definitely kp is worrisome but lets pump the brakes just a bit. it was one preseason game and we have no idea what sort of team we have just yet, not what sort of role kp is going to play. the last two seasons are no gauge of what kp is or going to be. melo was a safety valve but also a thwarter. rose was horrible for the team n matter how you slice it. the game has not slowed down for kp because the team he has played on have been bad and both melo and rose are horrible exemplars.

i don't like the rushed iso shots he takes-- very melo-ish. i am still waiting for more of tim duncan sort of game from him but i could be waiting in vain. that said, it's waaaayyy too early to tell.

dk7th

Benchwarmer
I love how every one still ignores kiyamans crazy talk on here.

been a while since I posted.

I am not sure what to expect when it comes to KP

the kids had 3 or so head coaches in 2 seasons lol.

He has also had a revolving cast of characters.

I am not sure Kiya how him playing team ball is the issue when he has had to deal with 2 ball dominant players in rose and melo

its virtually impossible for him to shoot shot shot when last year there were barely any plays run for him to shoot the ball.

he almost had to force himself into the offense at times.

I think this year if we work the pick and roll correctly, he will have some games where he looks unstoppable.

the key for him is to notice when his shot is off, not to force the issue but to focus on the other areas of his game like rebounding and defense.

if he can carry the offense other games then non double digit rebounding is ok to me.

I consider this his real rookie year as unlike many other rookies he hasnt gotten the greenlight yet, a rookie has to be given some freedom on the court to make some mistakes and progress without having the expectations be so high because of other well knowns on their team.

Karl anthony towns was able to make mistakes and get away with the learning curve, same with anthony davis, same with embiid and many other young bigs in the league.

playing along side melo rose noah and other veterans he hasnt really been able to have a 5-25 shooting night and learn from game tape what he did wrong. It has always been melo taking over and isolating for half the game virtually blocking porzingas out of the offense for long stretches.

this will be the first year porzingas can fully go in every night and with limited fear try his best to maximize his potential.

with that being said this discussion should be more valid in about 3 months when we truly see what hornacek has in store for him.

I agree with what you are saying 100%. I have seen exactly what you have seen. Only thing is I worry about KP picking the worst of basketball habits from Melonoma. I know it's early but where are the Pau/Duncan mid-to-high post passing plays? I don't like the rushed off balance iso shots I have seen.

Maybe the game will slow down for him now that he isn't going to be getting sloppy seconds and filthy thirds.

and1

Rotation player
definitely kp is worrisome but lets pump the brakes just a bit. it was one preseason game and we have no idea what sort of team we have just yet, not what sort of role kp is going to play. the last two seasons are no gauge of what kp is or going to be. melo was a safety valve but also a thwarter. rose was horrible for the team n matter how you slice it. the game has not slowed down for kp because the team he has played on have been bad and both melo and rose are horrible exemplars.

i don't like the rushed iso shots he takes-- very melo-ish. i am still waiting for more of tim duncan sort of game from him but i could be waiting in vain. that said, it's waaaayyy too early to tell.

yeah, i kinda have to agree with a lot of that. also not a big fan of the rushed iso shots. we should get a better idea of what he's capable of for real as the season progresses. but i would really like to see him play some hustle defense, not simply blocking a shot or two. i mean, blocking shots is great and all, but i would like to see a little more hustle on that end.
but i am a little worried that the celebrity diva factor is going to affect him in a negative way. but it's just an early concern. it may turn out to be that there's no real reason to be concerned at all. we'll see.

Kiyaman

Legend
HEAR IT: Knicks announcers caught ripping Kristaps Porzingis on hot mic

A sore hip forced Kristaps Porzingis out at halftime of the Knicks? preseason tilt against the Nets on Sunday, but two MSG announcers apparently didn?t have the young star?s lingering injury on their minds.
Knicks analysts Alan Hahn and Wally Szczerbiak were caught on a hot mic lambasting Porzingis? abysmal plus-minus during a commercial break.

?The other thing you could do is just kill Porzingis for being minus-20 in 16 minutes,? Hahn said to Szczerbiak in a video captured on Twitter. ?Dude, like come on, man. You?re a star. This is what you?re doing? You?re just out there? (He?s got) a lot to learn.?

?Minus-20 ? for him, he should never let his team...,? Szczerbiak responded before the audio returned to the commercial.
Porzingis tallied six points and three blocks in the 117-83 blowout loss in Brooklyn.
The 22-year-old missed a practice last week because of the soreness and sat out the Knicks? previous game in Washington to rest.

Porzingis said he would be meeting with a doctor before the Knicks host the Rockets Monday night.

dk7th

Benchwarmer
A sore hip forced Kristaps Porzingis out at halftime of the Knicks’ preseason tilt against the Nets on Sunday, but two MSG announcers apparently didn’t have the young star’s lingering injury on their minds.
Knicks analysts Alan Hahn and Wally Szczerbiak were caught on a hot mic lambasting Porzingis’ abysmal plus-minus during a commercial break.

“The other thing you could do is just kill Porzingis for being minus-20 in 16 minutes,” Hahn said to Szczerbiak in a video captured on Twitter. “Dude, like come on, man. You’re a star. This is what you’re doing? You’re just out there? (He’s got) a lot to learn.”

“Minus-20 — for him, he should never let his team...,” Szczerbiak responded before the audio returned to the commercial.
Porzingis tallied six points and three blocks in the 117-83 blowout loss in Brooklyn.
The 22-year-old missed a practice last week because of the soreness and sat out the Knicks’ previous game in Washington to rest.

Porzingis said he would be meeting with a doctor before the Knicks host the Rockets Monday night.

Not a big fan of either of these two guys. Wally is an x's and o's guy but has a tin ear and narrow vision when it comes to the big picture. Hahn is a little better on his radio show but in the studio with Wally is also annoying.

Are they not employed by Dolan? So they have to watch what they say. But what they were caught saying during commercial, however honest and sincere, is still misguided. He is a 22-yo Euro player playing a preseason game. Maybe he is not thinking immediate impact but a more patient, team-building approach? I really don't know, but what those two are saying is representative of the impatience and blame mentality that does not help the Knicks' cause at all.

Broadway

All Star
I wouldn't mind the cautious approach with #kporzee if it wasn't for all the other flags that come with him and some are of the color red. I hope this fan base doesn't condition themselves justifying #kporzee wearing the crown of "it's never my fault" that Melo wore for yrs...

THAT'S A VERY SLIPPERY SLOPE YOU'RE WALKING ON

dk7th

Benchwarmer
I wouldn't mind the cautious approach with #kporzee if it wasn't for all the other flags that come with him and some are of the color red. I hope this fan base doesn't condition themselves justifying #kporzee wearing the crown of "it's never my fault" that Melo wore for yrs...

No question it is a slippery slope-- were it not for the fact of the context of his first two seasons, in the miasma of the Dolan-owned and run freak show of MSG, Jackson, Melo, and Rose.

His red flags are, I assume:

Skipping of the exit meeting and the potential for being a primadonna with no body of work to show for it.
His potential for missing games from nagging injuries due to his size and frame.
His rushing his shots.

Outside of that I don't know what he has said or done that is wrong, although Knicks fans have the unfortunate habit of gathering things together and adding the up to something far more damning than is warranted.

He is the main piece of a new and very very young core, so he is going to get the scrutiny, but lets make sure the scrutiny is not magnifying problems or issues out of proportion with the larger context of building a team with patience and maintaining a plan. Worse comes to worse, he doesn't pan out the way we want him to, management is not obliged to pay him that first big contract, and we have to continue to build anyway.

Again, it's going to take 20-25 games to get a real bead on where he is at and where the team is at.

tiger0330

Legend

He's digging himself a big hole with his prediction of being an all-star and doing interviews with Rebecca Harlow saying he thinks he's ready to assume the role of leader and franchise player left by Melo, comes off as bragging to me. He was a little more restrained in the Harlow interview during last nights game with a little more doubt sprinkled in about being the leader and go to guy which is probably a result of a so-so exhibition season. I guess he's finding out the NBA is a little tougher than playing those national teams in Euro ball and it's going to be hard to become that 20/10 guy playing 82 games to make that All Star team.

Broadway

All Star
No question it is a slippery slope-- were it not for the fact of the context of his first two seasons, in the miasma of the Dolan-owned and run freak show of MSG, Jackson, Melo, and Rose.

His red flags are, I assume:

[Playing "cuddle buddy" with Melo.
Immaturity through social media.
Sending mixed messages in the press.
Skipping of the exit meeting and the potential for being a primadonna with no body of work to show for it.
His potential for missing games from nagging injuries due to his size and frame.
Unwillingness to diversify his game inside of 15ft.
His rushing his shots.]

Outside of that I don't know what he has said or done that is wrong, although Knicks fans have the unfortunate habit of gathering things together and adding the up to something far more damning than is warranted.

He is the main piece of a new and very very young core, so he is going to get the scrutiny, but lets make sure the scrutiny is not magnifying problems or issues out of proportion with the larger context of building a team with patience and maintaining a plan. Worse comes to worse, he doesn't pan out the way we want him to, management is not obliged to pay him that first big contract, and we have to continue to build anyway.

Again, it's going to take 20-25 games to get a real bead on where he is at and where the team is at.

I added 4 more. I expect him to mature with age but it's not a given(Melo never did, neither has Lebron while we're talking). I could have added his brother as a potential vice but I'll spare it for now. Melo and Phil are no longer here, so hopefully there won't be another splinter cell developing with revolting angst

and1

Rotation player
nothing builds your brand better or faster than winning.
people are bringing up some valid points on both sides. but let's face it, there's always a 'perfect storm' kind of element when it comes to the knicks. melo's gone, so immediately everyone assumes that it's now the 'passing of the torch' to KP. KP right now is a little banged up from euro ball over the summer, so every little thing is going to be magnified to make him look like a 'mistake'. he certainly did not help matters when he talked about being the main guy now. if there's ONE THING he should have learned while playing next to melo for 2 years in the ny market, it's that he should've learned to be careful what you say, especially to the media. he knew the question was coming, and he should've made it more about 'team' than about 'being ready to be the focus.'
on the other hand... as much as i hate to say it, because it sounds so easy, but a lot of this is just circus side show crap fueled by ny sports media. there's 2 things ny sports media love more than anything:
1. competing with each other for the first chance to give the 'star' of a winning team a lap dance.
2. beating a dead horse. it doesn't matter if a team is losing by a little or by a lot. if you're losing they're going to turn you into a circus. they've been sharpening their knives for this kid ever since they just caught a whiff that melo was on his way out. and they know it's true, but of course they'll never admit it.
there's a really really good chance this is going to be a very rough season for knicks fans. try not to let that misery cloud your better judgment and make things worse than they already are.
i've got a sneaky feeling that perry might be thinking about blowing the whole thing up and making this 'his team' anyway.
KP's been mentioning things about 'wasting energy' quite a bit lately. that kind of sounds like a dig at the coaching. he's probably not going to be a knick for too much longer.
if the feeling is mutual between him and management, they should come to an agreement and try to get whatever they can for this guy while his stock is still up.

tiger0330

Legend
I said he should set some goals like 20ppg, 10rb, 40% 3pt shooting, top 20 defensive player but this is ridiculous. Comes off like bragging to me, Greek Freak who I think could pull this off I don't believe ever said this.

Broadway

All Star
I said he should set some goals like 20ppg, 10rb, 40% 3pt shooting, top 20 defensive player but this is ridiculous. Comes off like bragging to me, Greek Freak who I think could pull this off I don't believe ever said this.

Slam Online ranked Hakuna Matata #5 as the best player in the league. Came out Game 1 and played like a Top #1. From what I've heard his workout and game preparation is 2nd to none. No player in the past 3-4yrs has ascended as much as him.

#kporzee doesn't have me fooled at all, he needs to move in silence

tiger0330

Legend
I'm thinking of bringing back my Latvian flag avatar and sig of him dunking on Lamarcus Aldridge after his performance last night. The one bright spot on a sorry Knicks team and if he can replicate that performance on a consistent basis he'll make that AS team.

mafra

Legend
It is maybe too early, but KP is backing up his words so far... the guy is almost ungaurdable

I'm digging the fact he's earnestly trying to improve his mid range game. Only taking 6-7 threes a game so far. When he gets more strength he'll
Be a true monster.

Learn the baby hook!!!!

tiger0330

Legend
I'm digging the fact he's earnestly trying to improve his mid range game. Only taking 6-7 threes a game so far. When he gets more strength he'll
Be a true monster.

Learn the baby hook!!!!
And his footwork, spin move under the basket on that shot he got fouled on by Drummond and in OKC the step through for the layup. Yes, baby hook with both hands.