What are your expectations for Porzingis this year?

mafra

Legend
Why doesn't ESPN go write an article on why Anthony Davis fails to close games? They had GSW dead to rights and let that game slip away.

In the 4th quarter all he did was make a 3 and dunk an alley-oop. He had 2 rebounds and missed a layup. Not exactly closing the game.

and1

Rotation player
It is maybe too early, but KP is backing up his words so far... the guy is almost ungaurdable

it is definitely too early, only 2 games, but at least he did come out ready to start the season with fire. him, kanter and the Q are the bright spots right now. let's see if some of the other guys decide to show up big too.
we have to stop being so sloppy in the 2nd half.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
it is definitely too early, only 2 games, but at least he did come out ready to start the season with fire. him, kanter and the Q are the bright spots right now. let's see if some of the other guys decide to show up big too.
we have to stop being so sloppy in the 2nd half.

If somebody can glue Ntilikina together to be able to play some games i guess we have a decent and fun to watch team....

If somebody can glue Ntilikina together to be able to play some games i guess we have a decent and fun to watch team....

Ntilikina out again on Tuesday. DSJ and Fragile Frank have combined for 33 minutes played and 5 missed games in the 1st week of the season. Really starting to wish we had taken Donovan Mitchell.

mafra

Legend
Ntilikina out again on Tuesday. DSJ and Fragile Frank have combined for 33 minutes played and 5 missed games in the 1st week of the season. Really starting to wish we had taken Donovan Mitchell.

I think we got spoiled with KP, where we thornton got he would require development time yet he came out swinging and flashes his potential immediately.

Ntikilina is a project and will need his seasoning. This is almost a red shirt Year for him. Way too early to tell. With that said, I think we all know DSJ was the easy choice. Mitchell probably more NBA ready but I still think Ntikilina has a higher ceiling.

Kid has length and athleticism and earnestly wants to pass and play defense. He has work ethic,
Drive and high bball IQ.

tiger0330

Legend
I think we got spoiled with KP, where we thornton got he would require development time yet he came out swinging and flashes his potential immediately.

Ntikilina is a project and will need his seasoning. This is almost a red shirt Year for him. Way too early to tell. With that said, I think we all know DSJ was the easy choice. Mitchell probably more NBA ready but I still think Ntikilina has a higher ceiling.

Kid has length and athleticism and earnestly wants to pass and play defense. He has work ethic,
Drive and high bball IQ.
Smart kid but I think he's soft. I'm also not impressed with his athleticism, some players have made it with high bball IQ's and lacked elite athleticism and we hope he's one of them. Curse of the 8th pick though, not many stickouts in 20 years at that spot and since probably the worst GM in the NBA picked him I don't think Frank breaks the trend.

Kiyaman

Legend
Leave Frank alone .. i hope Frank dont play until we hire a real NBA head coach .. all the talk bout Frank, and all u Kats seen from Frank is a couple of minute on the court from preseason to regular season.

a lot of u kats need to be more worried bout ur future star KP, and sidekick puppet Horn giving KP over 35 minute a night to start the season off .. KP is not built for 28 minute a night without getting injured before mid-season .. plus now in the 2 games this season we seen KP has started taking inside shots and driving through the lane more than once a game

nixon7

Benchwarmer
KP needs to get stronger, and get in the weight room on off nights. He is getting pushed around even at the PF and by much smaller players.

His rebounding and shot blocking are off so far this season, and given his defensive shortcomings (footwork and rotations), if he is not blocking shots or rebounding -the potential exists for him to score 35 points and still be a minus on the plus/minus - translation losing games.

I am also really concerned with his stamina. I do not think he is ready for 35 minutes a night. He may play himself into that kind of shape, but without also training hard in the gym on off days, this is far from certain. Right now, he may only be capable of 25 to 30 minutes a game without wearing down.

and1

Rotation player
lol you guys make it sound like KP getting injured and missing a bunch of games would be a bad thing. oh no, that would be perfect! and i'm not saying that out of hate for KP. quite the contrary. that would better our chances for a high lottery pick next summer by a whole lot. AND it would open up more playing and development time for willy more than likely. all we have to do is hope that the injury isn't disgustingly bad, you know, like the hayward injury. yeesh. hopefully it'll just be something minor, but enough to justify sitting him down for a bunch of games. you know, kind of like what's going on with frank right now :smokin:
hopefully KP understands that this is a rebuilding process. if his minutes end up getting cut down a bit on account of health concerns - he did after all play a lot of ball over the summer - he needs to be mature enough and wise enough to understand that it will in the end be for the betterment of the team down the stretch. they need to be constantly in his ear about this. and if his brothers start bitching about it, somebody needs to throw them a bonus envelope in the mail to shut them the hell up.

Broadway

All Star
KP needs to get stronger, and get in the weight room on off nights. He is getting pushed around even at the PF and by much smaller players.

His rebounding and shot blocking are off so far this season, and given his defensive shortcomings (footwork and rotations), if he is not blocking shots or rebounding -the potential exists for him to score 35 points and still be a minus on the plus/minus - translation losing games.

I am also really concerned with his stamina. I do not think he is ready for 35 minutes a night. He may play himself into that kind of shape, but without also training hard in the gym on off days, this is far from certain. Right now, he may only be capable of 25 to 30 minutes a game without wearing down.

He went overseas specifically to avoid this analysis/conclusion on matters, yet here we are!

and1

Rotation player
KP's rebounding. let's see, he had 12 rebounds against the thunder while kanter had 7.
against the celtics kanter had 19, while KP had something like 5 or 6. KP did his best rebounding with RoLo, mostly because RoLo boxed out a lot allowing KP to get up and snatch those boards.
Personally I'm more concerned about his relationship to the coaches. are the knicks ass-kissing and ego-stroking personnel already brainwashing him into a sour relationship with coach horn? probably. is that going to be a problem down the stretch? probably, but we'll see.
i have no doubt KP will experience an injury at some point this season. know why? because he's a professional athlete who happened to play a lot of professional ball over the summer.
i suspected that the melo hating would quickly and effortlessly shift over to KP as soon as melo left town, and 3 games into the season it's already started. i love it.

Kiyaman

Legend
lol you guys make it sound like KP getting injured and missing a bunch of games would be a bad thing. oh no, that would be perfect! and i'm not saying that out of hate for KP. quite the contrary. that would better our chances for a high lottery pick next summer by a whole lot. AND it would open up more playing and development time for willy more than likely. all we have to do is hope that the injury isn't disgustingly bad, you know, like the hayward injury. yeesh. hopefully it'll just be something minor, but enough to justify sitting him down for a bunch of games. you know, kind of like what's going on with frank right now :smokin:
hopefully KP understands that this is a rebuilding process. if his minutes end up getting cut down a bit on account of health concerns - he did after all play a lot of ball over the summer - he needs to be mature enough and wise enough to understand that it will in the end be for the betterment of the team down the stretch. they need to be constantly in his ear about this. and if his brothers start bitching about it, somebody needs to throw them a bonus envelope in the mail to shut them the hell up.

If KP has two more games like the Boston game last night in the next two weeks i can promise u KP will be crying injury.
KP is still not NBA ready to play the PF position in his 3rd season, in the games vs Detroit n Boston their guards boxed-out KP from getting rebounds or from getting in the lane to stop a slashing opponent to the rim. Plus last night rookie Tatum n 2nd season Jaylen Brown pushed KP around the court as if KP were a weak high school baller that didn't learn how to stand his ground or position on the court.
I blame the Knicks poor undeveloped coaching-staff, plus i blame KP swelled-up ego for not taking a weight-training n running program to put muscle weight on his body plus build a 2nd wind stamina throughout 2 months of the offseason. In the Knicks 3 games KP were a push-over (liability) during the 2nd half of each game .. And sports writers HYPED sports fans up in their article bout KP consecutive 30 point games that were Knicks blow-out losses.

and1

Rotation player
attachment.php

okay, so now we've got big bro/agent janis talking about this stuff. the article stated that he 'recently made these comments'. so when exactly was this 'recently'? a couple days ago, or before the season even started? there's a big difference. if it was a couple of days ago then janis should've brought it up earlier because right now it's about developing this team and we don't need this kind of drama distraction BS.
if it was before the season started, then this is just typical NY sports media drama BS trying to take a situation that already probably won't be great and making it worse.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247940/Kristaps-Porzingis-Brother-Warns-Knicks-Over-Treatment

Attachments

• drama.jpg
    drama.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 23

Broadway

All Star
attachment.php

okay, so now we've got big bro/agent janis talking about this stuff. the article stated that he 'recently made these comments'. so when exactly was this 'recently'? a couple days ago, or before the season even started? there's a big difference. if it was a couple of days ago then janis should've brought it up earlier because right now it's about developing this team and we don't need this kind of drama distraction BS.
if it was before the season started, then this is just typical NY sports media drama BS trying to take a situation that already probably won't be great and making it worse.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247940/Kristaps-Porzingis-Brother-Warns-Knicks-Over-Treatment

If I had to guess seems like an interview that took place probably in the past couple weeks. He makes reference to #kporzee's production remaining at a steady clip which appears to be the clue. I've been telling everyone his brother is a probozo, but whatever!

mafra

Legend
Kristaps Porzingis' brother, Janis, said money won't be the main factor regarding whether Kristaps remains with the Knicks long-term.

"The most important question here is this: What do you really want to achieve in your career?" Janis told Latvian website Sportcentrs. "Because money - if Kristaps performs at least on his normal level, is gonna come. We are more focused on some other values and not just to quickly sign a new contract so we can collect the money. That's definitely not our goal, so we won't be feverishly counting minutes or counting points. You can't escape the reality and the Knicks must also see that."

While noting that Kristaps skipped his exit interview after last season was thought out and purposeful -- not emotional -- Janis added that the Knicks need to understand that Kristaps is the focal point and should be treated that way.

"From their point of view, Kristaps is the focal point at the moment so you cannot upset him much or otherwise, at the end of the season, he will say 'it's not so cool here.' The second question is: Who is the New York audience coming to watch now? To a large extent, it's Kristaps. So the organization has to take that into account."

The 22-year-old Porzingis, who is in his third year in the league, is eligible to sign a five-year maximum extension after this season, and currently eligible for unrestricted free agency after the 2019-20 season.

He is earning $4.5 million this season, and is set to earn $5.69 million in 2018-19, and $7.51 million in 2019-20.

mafra

Legend
Sounds like he wot sign extension and will go in free agency if NYK don't build a team around him.

tiger0330

Legend
Sounds like he wot sign extension and will go in free agency if NYK don't build a team around him.
I'd like to hear that from KP and it doesn't matter what his brother says we own the kid for 5 more years. We're going to pay him more than anyone else when he does become a UFA so the odds are good that he'll stay, I haven't seen any studies that back this up but aren't the off court opportunities better in NYC than anywhere else, he would have to factor that in when making his decision. He can be bigger here than anywhere else in the NBA, he likes NY, Mills has 5 years to build around him, I'll be worried if we're still a losing team in 5 years that he's hitting FA but that's a long time away.

Broadway

All Star
I'd like to hear that from KP and it doesn't matter what his brother says we own the kid for 5 more years. We're going to pay him more than anyone else when he does become a UFA so the odds are good that he'll stay, I haven't seen any studies that back this up but aren't the off court opportunities better in NYC than anywhere else, he would have to factor that in when making his decision. He can be bigger here than anywhere else in the NBA, he likes NY, Mills has 5 years to build around him, I'll be worried if we're still a losing team in 5 years that he's hitting FA but that's a long time away.

We don't really own him for 5 more yrs, he may leave(demand trade) if we're not careful. It's not an absolute given he stays if we continue losing and make head scratching moves like we have in recent yrs. Until he signs a long term deal everything is tenuous. His brother is speaking for him, essentially saying to us "tread lightly".

Lebron James agent Rich Paul recently made at length comments about the modern day athlete and free agency. In particular to Lebron's free agency approach. He said times have changed and old school mentality no longer exist because of social media and the ability to be a National/Global star no matter where you play. What should matter is winning and when you haven't won or want to win big it'll show in the decisions made. We have seen players leave it's not totally out of the realm of possibility(which are higher these days than in the past)

Not saying #kporzee shouldn't get his shekels from us based on the history of this league but looking a few yrs down the road...

Noah
THJR
Lee
Kanter(?)
#Kporzee($30mil/yr contract extension)

locked up with long term money isn't going to do anything special(we'll have no cap space to add nothing of significance around him)

Last edited: