Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Breaking News: Melo to OKC

lol Thank Goodness...he's no longer a Knick

Veteran

This really isn't a good deal for New York at all. Dollars to Donuts Kanter opts out next yr and McDermott is nothing but underacheiving lottery pick with a hefty cap hit next yr essentially an expiring. Both players do fit the roster better

So all we traded Melo for was a crappy draft pick unless we can unload either of these two before their contracts expire

It all boils down to the draft pick.... B/C NYK basically swapped Melo for a more worse version of himself in Kanter.

If kanter picks up his 18 mil option next year then this blows up in their face (especially if they can't deal him).

At least he fits in with the international flavor... other than that.... meh.

McDermott is just a body.... maybe he provides some scoring. He has 1 season to prove his worth, but chances are we don't extend a QO his way.

Most likely, NYK got a first rounder and most likely that's the 27th pick or something like that.

Basically, NYK dumped Melo for nothing, which is simply addition by subtraction.

Fortunately, they were able to protect and preserve 2019 salary space.

Veteran

Ohhh noo Broadway you have been crying about Melo being a Knick since you joined KO.com and now that Melo is gone you still aren't happy???? Surprise surprise 😱😱😱😱

Originally Posted by Broadway
    This really isn't a good deal for New York at all. Dollars to Donuts Kanter opts out next yr and McDermott is nothing but underacheiving lottery pick with a hefty cap hit next yr essentially an expiring. Both players do fit the roster better

So all we traded Melo for was a crappy draft pick unless we can unload either of these two before their contracts expire
    No cap hit for Doug next year.... unless I'm mistaken, he only has a 4 mil QO, which we can decline.

Yes! We got CHI's second round
    Pick!!!! The rebuild is almost complete.

Veteran

Originally Posted by mafra
    No cap hit for Doug next year.... unless I'm mistaken, he only has a 4 mil QO, which we can decline.
    Yeah that's what I'm saying he's a QO cap hit(multiplier) or an expiring...take your pick but neither are great. I doubt we retain him at $4mil especially with THJR/Lee/Dotson/Beasley/Kuz here.

Oh No chief make no mistake..."I'm elated your boi is a forgotten memory"

Originally Posted by Broadway
    Yeah that's what I'm saying he's a QO cap hit(multiplier) or an expiring...take your pick but neither are great. I doubt we retain him at $4mil especially with THJR/Lee/Dotson/Beasley/Kuz here.

Oh No chief make no mistake..."I'm elated your boi is a forgotten memory"
    You said Mcbuckets was a hefty cap hit.... 4 mil anything but, no?

McDermott has lived up to his “McBuckets” nickname as an NBA player, shooting 39.4% from three point range for his career.

Dougie is also young so there's a chance he improves....

Kamter is approx 75% of what Melo is offensively (worse on defense)...

And that CHI second rounder is almost a late first.... pick in the low 30s.

For Melo.... this was about as good as it was gonna get.

Best news is we don't absorb any bad contacts and we aren't worse this season.

Veteran

Did anyone here think we would get anything else for Melo but a dirty pair of socks???? I didn't think so esp. after PJAx and the Knicks organization did everything in thier power to devalue Melo. Glad it's over so the Melo bashers can finally move on with thier lives. I'll be rooting for OKC. Won't be worth watching Knicks games for sure. Good luck Melo. I enjoyed and appreciated watching an elite NBA scorer operate in a Knicks uniform. Sorry 95% of the fanbase was too clueless and hoops stupid to recognize what they were watching.

I wish Melo success in OKC. Looks like the pick is unprotected so it should be 31-39 in next years draft. Perry now has to decide what to do with Noah, surplus of big men now with Kanter.

It could be much worse.... imagine if we pulled trigger on the HOU deal and were straddled with that Ryno contract? Yikes.

Compared to that deal, this deal looks great.

Veteran

You said Mcbuckets was a hefty cap hit.... 4 mil anything but, no?

McDermott has lived up to his “McBuckets” nickname as an NBA player, shooting 39.4% from three point range for his career.

Dougie is also young so there's a chance he improves....

Kamter is approx 75% of what Melo is offensively (worse on defense)...

And that CHI second rounder is almost a late first.... pick in the low 30s.

For Melo.... this was about as good as it was gonna get.

Best news is we don't absorb any bad contacts and we aren't worse this season.
    Yes McDermott is a hefty cap hit until he'd theoretically accept the QO. Now we can renounce him outright and tell him to kick rocks too

If we extend the QO(2 have FROF=First Right Of Refusal=match offers) and McDermott temporarily refuses to sign by going on the market looking for a deal it'll come with a cap hit of I believe 300% of his previous yrs salary. Restricted Free Agents factor a little different than Unrestricted Free Agents

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by Broadway; Sep 23, 2017 at 13:31.

Veteran

Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Ohhh noo Broadway you have been crying about Melo being a Knick since you joined KO.com and now that Melo is gone you still aren't happy???? Surprise surprise ��������
    Three good reason Im not happy either ..
    1) What did we give up for Melo?
    2) What did we receive from Melo season after season?
    3) What did we get in return for Melo?
    Plenty of reason why not to be happy ..

Getting Kanter is a good move to put in a lineup with Noah, or Quinn, or WHG to man the paint.
    I recall GSW couldn't get inside scoring when OKC put Kanter n Adams in the same lineup.
    Not to happy bout picking up McDermott, but McDermott is much better than Kuz n Lance Thomas at SF.

Ha ha .. getting Melo insure that Paul George is going to the Lakers next offseason lmao

OKC got Paul and Melo this offseason without surrendering a 1st rounder. These are clearly stopgap moves to show RW the front office has his back.

Veteran

It could be much worse.... imagine if we pulled trigger on the HOU deal and were straddled with that Ryno contract? Yikes.

Compared to that deal, this deal looks great.
    Depends if we could've got 2020 1st and maybe a couple 2nd rounders if the deal expanded and maybe even dumped a contract. Especially with the advent of lottery reform on the horizon. Ryan Anderson's game actually fits a 14/5 guy who shot 40% from 3 himself and is a more proven commodity.

We were already capped until 2020 anyway, regardless if Anderson was here or not. Dolan probably didn't want to pay taxes anymore because of all the dead money he has out in orbit