Breaking News: Melo to OKC

Broadway

All Star
This really isn't a good deal for New York at all. Dollars to Donuts Kanter opts out next yr and McDermott is nothing but underacheiving lottery pick with a hefty cap hit next yr essentially an expiring. Both players do fit the roster better

So all we traded Melo for was a crappy draft pick unless we can unload either of these two before their contracts expire

mafra

Legend
It all boils down to the draft pick.... B/C NYK basically swapped Melo for a more worse version of himself in Kanter.

If kanter picks up his 18 mil option next year then this blows up in their face (especially if they can't deal him).

At least he fits in with the international flavor... other than that.... meh.

McDermott is just a body.... maybe he provides some scoring. He has 1 season to prove his worth, but chances are we don't extend a QO his way.

Most likely, NYK got a first rounder and most likely that's the 27th pick or something like that.

Basically, NYK dumped Melo for nothing, which is simply addition by subtraction.

Fortunately, they were able to protect and preserve 2019 salary space.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Ohhh noo Broadway you have been crying about Melo being a Knick since you joined KO.com and now that Melo is gone you still aren't happy???? Surprise surprise šŸ˜±šŸ˜±šŸ˜±šŸ˜±

mafra

Legend
This really isn't a good deal for New York at all. Dollars to Donuts Kanter opts out next yr and McDermott is nothing but underacheiving lottery pick with a hefty cap hit next yr essentially an expiring. Both players do fit the roster better

So all we traded Melo for was a crappy draft pick unless we can unload either of these two before their contracts expire

No cap hit for Doug next year.... unless I'm mistaken, he only has a 4 mil QO, which we can decline.

Broadway

All Star
No cap hit for Doug next year.... unless I'm mistaken, he only has a 4 mil QO, which we can decline.

Yeah that's what I'm saying he's a QO cap hit(multiplier) or an expiring...take your pick but neither are great. I doubt we retain him at $4mil especially with THJR/Lee/Dotson/Beasley/Kuz here.

Oh No chief make no mistake..."I'm elated your boi is a forgotten memory"

mafra

Legend
Yeah that's what I'm saying he's a QO cap hit(multiplier) or an expiring...take your pick but neither are great. I doubt we retain him at $4mil especially with THJR/Lee/Dotson/Beasley/Kuz here.

Oh No chief make no mistake..."I'm elated your boi is a forgotten memory"

You said Mcbuckets was a hefty cap hit.... 4 mil anything but, no?

McDermott has lived up to his ?McBuckets? nickname as an NBA player, shooting 39.4% from three point range for his career.

Dougie is also young so there's a chance he improves....

Kamter is approx 75% of what Melo is offensively (worse on defense)...

And that CHI second rounder is almost a late first.... pick in the low 30s.

For Melo.... this was about as good as it was gonna get.

Best news is we don't absorb any bad contacts and we aren't worse this season.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Did anyone here think we would get anything else for Melo but a dirty pair of socks???? I didn't think so esp. after PJAx and the Knicks organization did everything in thier power to devalue Melo. Glad it's over so the Melo bashers can finally move on with thier lives. I'll be rooting for OKC. Won't be worth watching Knicks games for sure. Good luck Melo. I enjoyed and appreciated watching an elite NBA scorer operate in a Knicks uniform. Sorry 95% of the fanbase was too clueless and hoops stupid to recognize what they were watching.

tiger0330

Legend
I wish Melo success in OKC. Looks like the pick is unprotected so it should be 31-39 in next years draft. Perry now has to decide what to do with Noah, surplus of big men now with Kanter.

mafra

Legend
It could be much worse.... imagine if we pulled trigger on the HOU deal and were straddled with that Ryno contract? Yikes.

Compared to that deal, this deal looks great.

Broadway

All Star
You said Mcbuckets was a hefty cap hit.... 4 mil anything but, no?

McDermott has lived up to his ā€œMcBucketsā€ nickname as an NBA player, shooting 39.4% from three point range for his career.

Dougie is also young so there's a chance he improves....

Kamter is approx 75% of what Melo is offensively (worse on defense)...

And that CHI second rounder is almost a late first.... pick in the low 30s.

For Melo.... this was about as good as it was gonna get.

Best news is we don't absorb any bad contacts and we aren't worse this season.

Yes McDermott is a hefty cap hit until he'd theoretically accept the QO. Now we can renounce him outright and tell him to kick rocks too

If we extend the QO(2 have FROF=First Right Of Refusal=match offers) and McDermott temporarily refuses to sign by going on the market looking for a deal it'll come with a cap hit of I believe 300% of his previous yrs salary. Restricted Free Agents factor a little different than Unrestricted Free Agents

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q37

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Ohhh noo Broadway you have been crying about Melo being a Knick since you joined KO.com and now that Melo is gone you still aren't happy???? Surprise surprise ��������

Three good reason Im not happy either ..
1) What did we give up for Melo?
2) What did we receive from Melo season after season?
3) What did we get in return for Melo?
Plenty of reason why not to be happy ..

Getting Kanter is a good move to put in a lineup with Noah, or Quinn, or WHG to man the paint.
I recall GSW couldn't get inside scoring when OKC put Kanter n Adams in the same lineup.
Not to happy bout picking up McDermott, but McDermott is much better than Kuz n Lance Thomas at SF.

Ha ha .. getting Melo insure that Paul George is going to the Lakers next offseason lmao

mafra

Legend
OKC got Paul and Melo this offseason without surrendering a 1st rounder. These are clearly stopgap moves to show RW the front office has his back.

Broadway

All Star
It could be much worse.... imagine if we pulled trigger on the HOU deal and were straddled with that Ryno contract? Yikes.

Compared to that deal, this deal looks great.

Depends if we could've got 2020 1st and maybe a couple 2nd rounders if the deal expanded and maybe even dumped a contract. Especially with the advent of lottery reform on the horizon. Ryan Anderson's game actually fits a 14/5 guy who shot 40% from 3 himself and is a more proven commodity.

We were already capped until 2020 anyway, regardless if Anderson was here or not. Dolan probably didn't want to pay taxes anymore because of all the dead money he has out in orbit

Kiyaman

Legend
Perry now has to decide what to do with Noah, surplus of big men now with Kanter.

No! Horn has to put Quinn and WHG at their natural position in the NBA PF (they are not centers) ..
Plus have Noah and Kanter man the center position.
Let KP WEAK soft wing performance stay in Latvia to learn how to rebound and shoot 50% from FG, and recover from the Melo trade lmao

Kiyaman

Legend
OKC got Paul and Melo this offseason without surrendering a 1st rounder. These are clearly stopgap moves to show RW the front office has his back.

So True .. no first round picks, and no all-star player in the swap for two all-star franchise players.

Westbrook is going to miss Kanter's perfect screens n picks in the offense.
Melo wont be allowed to live on the perimeter on both sides of the court any more having Westbrook controlling who gets the ball. Melo better learn how to move without the ball plus practice switching on defense now.
I dont see Melo being a All-Star in the West

Broadway

All Star
If true this would confirm how I thought this organization was handling the situation...appears matters were "petty" personal

mafra

Legend
Depends if we could've got 2020 1st and maybe a couple 2nd rounders if the deal expanded and maybe even dumped a contract. Especially with the advent of lottery reform on the horizon. Ryan Anderson's game actually fits a 14/5 guy who shot 40% from 3 himself and is a more proven commodity.

We were already capped until 2020 anyway, regardless if Anderson was here or not. Dolan probably didn't want to pay taxes anymore because of all the dead money he has out in orbit

I disagree, mainly b/c it was foolish to eat anymore into our 2019 cap space. What good does a 2020 1st do, if RW remains in OKC.... then that pick is only about 10 picks higher than the 2nd rounder we get in 2018.

I'm sure if HOU would've eaten one of our bad contracts and given a 1st plus other picks.... Perry would've pulled the trigger. That deal wasn't on the table.

NYK got a solid 3-point shooter (who is stil on his rookie deal; they got a halfway decent offensive piece to replace Melo and they got an early
Second rounder. Most importantly, we help our own lottery cause this year while saving about 10 mil of cap space next summer.

Under the circumstances.... Perry did OK.

mafra

Legend
Chasson Randle - G - Knicks
Knicks waive G Chasson Randle.
The Knicks needed to clear a roster spot out with the Carmelo Anthony trade, so Randle is a casualty here. He should wind up sticking with another team, but he doesn't' have fantasy value.

-----

Funny how NY trades for Kanter after Mills preached about defense on Thursday. Still, at least he's a better rebounder than a Melo.

Hopefully, we can trade him at deadline for something somewhat valuable