Draft rules changes

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Starting with the 2019 draft, the top three teams will have the same chances ? 14 percent ? of landing the No. 1 pick. The top four selections will now be part of the ping-pong ball process, up from three previously. This also means that a team with the worst record could now pick as a low as fifth.

The measures taken to ward off resting players is likely to have even less of an impact. Commissioner Adam Silver now has the power to fine teams for resting players in several instances, including healthy players when the team is playing on national television. Teams are also going to be encouraged to rest players for home games instead of away games, to try to avoid backlash from fans who showed up at the arena to see the visiting star player in one of his few trips to the city.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/28/knicks-catch-a-break-with-latest-nba-draft-rule-changes/

Thanks for posting this. I think the teams that should be most worried about this change are the annual abusers of this system like Philly, the Lakers, and Minny. This change should help us because we have never tanked properly anyway.

As an interesting aside, I read the only team to vote against this change was OKC.

Broadway

All Star
Thanks for posting this. I think the teams that should be most worried about this change are the annual abusers of this system like Philly, the Lakers, and Minny. This change should help us because we have never tanked properly anyway.

As an interesting aside, I read the only team to vote against this change was OKC.

Nice to see the visuals RADY as I spoken on this subject at least 2 times this offseason

In theory yeah, but it also underscores how important it is for us to be bad this season(2018) because we have no margin for error to suck afterwards. This draft is almost assured to deliver 3 bonafied studs and our team is shaped going forward to be about as mediocre as it gets.

Minnesota already made moves past couple yrs that show they no longer want to be a perennial lottery team..Philly really has no room for another lottery player. Lakers, well unfortunate Russell chose to be immature his first two seasons and Randle broke his leg during his rookie campaign but I'm sure Magic isn't trying to duplicate the Jim Buss era.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I like the principle on reform but the league will have to see how this plays out because teams may race towards the middling of bad which could defeat the sole purpose of reform

Kiyaman

Legend
It look like certain teams knew this was coming and built a team to make the playoff in the offseason like the 76ers, Wolves, Lakers, and Kings. The Knicks owner don't care bout the change in the Lottery as long as MSG stay sold-out each losing game.