Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Washington Wizards 7:00 10/06/2017 [Preseason Game #2]

rady

Administrator
Staff member

header.jpg

NYK.gif
AT.png
WAS.gif

(0-1) -- (1-0)

VenueTVTIME
Capitol One Arena, Washington, DCMSG7:00 PM EST

Possible starters:

203926.png
201160.png

204001.png
203490.png

203124.png
101162.png

203501.png
203078.png

201196.png
203107.png

Injury Report

New York KnicksWashington Wizards
Joakim Noah - Shoulder (SUSPENDED)Tim Frazier - Groin (PROB)
Frank Ntilikina - Knee (DOUBT)Markieff Morris - Groin (OUT)
Mindaugas Kuzminskas - Calf (DOUBT)-
Ron Baker - Ankle (DOUBT)-
Luke Kornet - Hamstring (DOUBT)-

Game Preview

1. The Knicks hit the road for the second contest of the preseason in Washington D.C. tonight. Frank Ntilikina (contused right knee), Ron Baker (sprained left ankle), Mindaugas Kuzminskas (sore left calf), and Luke Kornet (sore left hamstring) are all listed as doubtful for the matchup against the Wizards.

2. Ntilikina is hopeful he?ll return to action in the Knicks next preseason game on Sunday against the Nets. The rookie point guard bumped into teammate Enes Kanter early in Tuesday?s game and his knee was sore at Thursday?s practice session at MSG Training Center.

3. Hornacek started Ramon Sessions, Tim Hardaway Jr., Doug McDermott, Kristaps Porzingis, and Kyle O?Quinn on Tuesday night. The head man did not reveal his starting group for the contest against the Wizards but he has expressed interest in adjusting lineups to determine his rotation for the opening night game on October 19.

4. On Wednesday night, the team waived Jamel Artis and the roster now stands at 19 players with 12 days until the opening game in Oklahoma City. Teams can carry a roster of 17 with 2 two-way players under contract (Kornet signed to a two-way deal).

5. The Wizards enter the 2017-18 season with high expectations. Last year, Washington nearly reached the Conference Finals, just falling short in a seven-game battle against the Celtics in the semifinal round. The core group is back for the Wizards, specifically the stellar backcourt tandem of John Wall and Bradley Beal. Washington added Tim Frazier, Jodie Meeks, Devin Robinson, Mike Scott, and Michael Young to the mix. Bogan Bogdanovic, Trey Burke, and Brandon Jennings have departed from the Wizards.

(nyknicks.com)

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks for the game thread Rady. No Frank tonight but we will see Noah. I wouldn't start Quinn despite the Knicks getting off to that fast start against the Nets with him as a starter. Unless Horn is going to start him in the regular season why not try WHG or Kanter tonight. Regular season starts in less than 2 weeks so Horn doesn't have a lot of time to experiment.

and1

Rotation player
ahhhh yes, it's a great time of year when these new game threads start popping up at a regular pace.
it's looking like horns may in fact be thinking about starting the Q at the 5 for the opener on the 19th.
but you never know, if noah looks as healthy and as good as folks have been saying, he may end up winning the job, after the suspension. and that in itself starts to beg other questions.
when it comes to noah, it seems the one question is whether or not he can keep up with the quicker pace that horns wants to play.
THJ and dougie-fresh are all about offense, we know this. so they are options for KP.
kanter is also mostly offense. it's likely horns is considering kanter off the bench for that specific reason, which IMO wouldn't be a terrible idea. if that is the case, i wouldn't be surprised if the Q and kanter end up averaging the same amount of minutes throughout the season.
where does that leave baby-gasol? we might get some answers to these questions during the next 4 games including this one. if noah manages to stay healthy, it seems inevitable that one of those bigs gets traded. we shall see.
unfortunately, everyone i know wants to watch the yankees game tonight. hopefully my wifi connection stays strong.
let's see some defense!

tiger0330

Legend
CLee 3-3 all 3s. Had a good first game playing the passing lanes with 4 steals along with his scoring. I think he beats Dougie out for that starting SF spot.

Wally saying that KP should want to play the 5 on offense to create mismatches and that the best big man to pair him with is Noah rather than Kanter or WHG.

tiger0330

Legend
An unreal 29 turnovers by the Knicks and 28 pts off them was the story of the game, sloppy even for a pre-season game, they need to clean that up. Kanter was the leading scorer again, I think he starts. We're going to need 3 PG's and Baker hasn't played, I think Jack could be useful but Jack's contract is not guaranteed so he may be the odd man out, maybe they trade Quinn to unclog that logjam at the 5 to make room for Jack.

tiger0330

Legend
Wally saying that KP should want to play the 5 on offense to create mismatches and that the best big man to pair him with is Noah rather than Kanter or WHG.
I think Wally is crazy. Noah got zero minutes in the first game and 12 minutes this game. Maybe Wally is basing this on what he's seen in practice but I'd like to see both KP and Noah on the floor together for significant minutes before saying that's the best pair we can put out there. Noah can't even play until mid-late Nov. so giving Noah the bulk of the minutes with KP in camp makes no sense.

Kiyaman

Legend
Originally Posted by htr10

I think Wally is crazy. Noah got zero minutes in the first game and 12 minutes this game. Maybe Wally is basing this on what he's seen in practice but I'd like to see both KP and Noah on the floor together for significant minutes before saying that's the best pair we can put out there. Noah can't even play until mid-late Nov. so giving Noah the bulk of the minutes with KP in camp makes no sense.

Thanks Rady .... :beer:

Wsup Htr10 n Tiger .. Just because Noah's not a scorer, that does not take Noah out of the list of being the best player on the Knicks. The best person in the Knicks organization to mentor KP on n off the court happen to be Noah. Noah has the highest B.Ball IQ on the Knicks the past two season .. Noah's coach/player leadership on offense/defense wins games.
I actually applaud Noah for not participating in last season mismanagement massacre of president/coach/star player.

Last night game vs Wizards .. i wanted to take part in the Game-Thread but its the preseason n Frank wasn't going to play vs Wall n Beal, so i kept switching games to see rookies Ben Simmons vs Jayson Tatum in the Boston vs 76ers game.
The Knicks showed a much much better performance vs the Wizards than they did against the Nets.
The Team-Defense still need a lot of improving, and certain players (Jack/THJ/Beasley/Kanter) need to work hard on help-defense.
I did get a chance to see Session n Jack lead the point to decide which would be the best starting PG for the Knicks in the regular season .. if Jack would work on his pick n role successfully throughout the preseason games with Noah/Kanter/Quinn/KP/and WHG, Jack should be our starter/finisher PG for the season.
Head coach Hornacek is STUPID for not putting Quinn n WHG in the PF spot .. both big-men could probably average double-double in 24 minute at the PF spot. Every team is getting bigger except the Knicks n LOTTERY teams.

In the preseason games i would have like to start all the young-core players in a lineup in each of the preseason game .. to get the young-core familiar with the ins/outs of each other performance.
1st unit .. Frank/THJ/Mcderm/KP/WHG (young-core)
2nd unit .. Jack/Lee/Beasley/Quinn/Kanter (veteran)
3rd unit .. Session/Baker/Dotson/Kuz/Noah (mix)

Kiyaman

Legend
An unreal 29 turnovers by the Knicks and 28 pts off them was the story of the game, sloppy even for a pre-season game, they need to clean that up. Kanter was the leading scorer again, I think he starts. We're going to need 3 PG's and Baker hasn't played, I think Jack could be useful but Jack's contract is not guaranteed so he may be the odd man out, maybe they trade Quinn to unclog that logjam at the 5 to make room for Jack.

Trade Quinn to Cavs to beat GSW in 5 games in FINALS.
The Knicks need Jack n Quinn more than they need half of their last-chance roster.
If u dont know who the Knicks last-chance players are think .. Baker/Kuz/Session/Beasley/ Lance Thomas .. all suppose to be playing in the Euro-league.