Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Washington Wizars 7:30 10/13/2017 [Preseason Game #5]

Kiyaman

Legend
My revised starting five:

Frank-- he has to play with the first unit a majority of his minutes just like KP did his rookie year
THJ-- he's much improved in every facet and will emerge as a leader of this team if KP and Frank don't
McDermott-- better than advertised and you live with his sketchy defense because he stretches the floor
KP
WHG-- he has to play with the first unit until he proves a liability

Bench looks very deep and could make a real impact:

Baker
O'Quinn
Kanter
Lee
Thomas

Yes Hornacek should go ten deep during a rebuilding year.

Outliers: Beasley, Kuzminskas, Sessions, etc.

Yep .. a 10 man rotation ..
The only way Hornacek is gonna win a decent amount of games this season are to win from the Depth of the roster. THJ is the only 30 minute player on the roster, and that's only when he play 30 minute of defense too.

Between head-coach Hornacek preseason coaching plus the players inconsistent performance, the Knicks preseason games did not show me which player belong in the starter-Lineup!
The 5th and final Knick preseason game were the only game the Knicks showed the team could play defense, plus have a verbal leader to create plays on the court (Tim Hardaway Jr.).
Now! The Knicks previous 4 preseason games all sUCKED so bad it look like the Knicks were headed for a 12 win season in 2017-18.

What i notice in the Knicks preseason games were we have a few players that cant step up their performance when they are in a lineup with two or more of our young players ....
KP is one, Baker is two, Kuz is three, Lance Thomas is four, Beasley is five, and Jack is six.
I also notice the Knicks perform in a couple of games without KP in the rotation.
Im not saying KP is still a project .. 20 minute coming off the bench, until he learn how to be a threat in the frontcourt .. would speed up KP process.

It look like Tim Hardaway Jr. last-game leadership got Hornacek full attention ....
Noah should be the Knicks starter-center after the 12 game suspension (no bi-weekly check lol).
WHG should be the Knicks PF coming off the bench throughout the season to tandem with Noah or Kanter or Quinn in the frontcourt.
Dougie had one decent game out of the preseason, Hahn is crazy putting him in the starter lineup.
Beasley or Thomas belong in the starter lineup as the SF .. it does not matter if Beasley or Thomas receive 10 to 20 minute per game, we all know Beasley or Thomas are not 30 minute players or Finishers, but they should be good to start the game.
Lee has problems defending half the SG in the league, opponents SF will eat Lee up alive on both sides of the court. Lee n Sessions should start the season off as starters in the backcourt.

mafra

Legend
I nominate mafra to be in charge of the TANK POLICE.

I think defense will come with continuity. Hard to trust your teammates when 75% of roster changes every season.

Go with the kids and don't pressure them to improve defensively. FOCUS on offense.... always more exciting to lose 120-118 than 88-81.

THJr and Dougie should space floor and allow KP and WHH to go to work. Kanter and MB off the bench.

As these kids develop and play together, their team defense should improve next few years.

Team defense is the key.... we know we have plenty of flaws individually. But with experience will come a greater understanding of how to play well together.

So, with that said, we need to focus on our strengths and accentuate them. This is all about scoring and offense.

All we should demand is that they put in the proper effort and care on the defensive side....