Our new starting 5...

mafra

Legend
There's a good article over at theknicksblog.com about how impactful and instrumental LT's defense was in our comeback on Sunday night (read it below).

To that end, and with an eye to the future.... I propose the following:

Our starting 5 should be...

Ntikkina
THJr
LT
KP
Kanter

I think surrounding KP, complimenting him, is the smartest thing to do right now.

We don't need Lee's "offense" in the starting lineup. KP has inside/outside scoring threats already in THJr and Kanter.

I think having Knits and LT in there, to lock down the opposing team's PG and best wing makes more sense.

I struggle with taking Jack out right now tho.... so I wouldn't be adverse to keeping him in.... but the sooner we get KP-Knits on the same page the better.

This way, Jack-Lee-MB-WHG-KOQ can come in an run the second unit.

Thoughts?

----------

Knicks SF Lance Thomas may not have jumped out off the score sheet on Sunday, but it was his defense that helped the team in their comeback win over the Pacers.

The real reason the Knicks came back was because of their star F Kristaps Porzingis, who netted a career-high 40 points with 24 coming with 13:26 left in the game. Just before Porzingis went off, Thomas spoke to him saying the 22-year-old needed to carry the Knicks out of the deep hole they dug.

His speech clearly worked.

"I told him, 'Bring us home. Everything on the defensive end, I got your back. Don't worry about that. Bring us home," Thomas told The Post's Fred Kerber. "And that's what he did."

Thomas's defense didn't go unnoticed either. Head coach Jeff Hornacek praised the veteran who has been the defensive backbone for the Knicks early on this season.

"He's maybe our best defender. He takes on challenge. That's kind of his role, to be that defensive guy," Hornacek said. "He's been a great leader for us, even though we don't play him big minutes. He's always ready."

Thomas is currently averaging 13.3 minutes per game, but he has been making the best of them on the defensive side of the ball. With Porzingis leading on offense, he prides himself leading the defense while on the court.

"I just want to affect the game. A lot of the things I do for this team I don't need praise for it, I don't need a pat on the back. I do it because my teammates expect it of me and because I know that's what I'm capable of. Whenever my number's called, I'm always ready," Thomas said.

He was ready to turn the tide on Sunday as the Pacers were running up the score. Thomas saw the Knicks body language drooping, and he knew he had to make a change.

"I saw that our intensity level was low and our body language was bad," he said. "As a leader of this team, I'm always like, 'Hey, when we fix our body language we'll have a chance.' We had our heads down, we were complaining about the way the game was going."

So, Thomas came on the court in the fourth quarter, and never left. His play sparked the Knicks, and gave them the energy they needed for the comeback.

"It's playing hard. When I say it to my teammates, it resonates with them because they know I practice what i preach," Thomas said. "I'm not going to say, 'Go out and go hard,' and then I go out and play with my head down. When I got my chance, I wanted it to be infectious. I wanted my guys to see me picking guys up full-court, trying to make the extra play and just scraping."

Tim Hardaway Jr. was so impressed with Thomas' play late in the game that he thinks he deserves the game's highest honor.

"LT gets the game ball," Hardaway said. "He came in and did a fantastic job...He did all the little things. He definitely gets the game ball."

Thomas finished 1-for-4 shooting and made both of his free throws for four total points. He is averaging 3.0 points and 2.9 rebounds per game this season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Our 2nd half plan has been working well this season by taking us on a 6-1 winning streak in the final 8 minutes of the game. The Knicks havnt had a 2nd half plan that wins games since the one season Jason Kidd played the entire 4th qtr. of each game to have a 54 win season.

I like the idea of Lance Thomas/Frank/and Quinn being in our finish-lineup having energy n relentless effort to bring it to our opponents with their 2-way service on help defense/offense having KP & THJ as our threat scorers.

I want Jack n Lee's veteran experience to stay in our starter back-court lineup, plus Kanter's offensive skills to keep mentoring KP in our starter front-court lineup. Yes we need a starter SF this season which we dont have right now on the roster, hopefully Mcderm will keep up the good work coming off the bench and by midseason or next season Mcderm may become our starter SF.
I dont like coach Horn technique of coaching because we are a young-players team, plus every thing i wrote above i mention several time during the preseason games .. We are not a 9-man rotation team, at least not until halfway through midseason. We are a 2-unit young players team that should be playing a 10 man rotation so players get more familiar to teammates skills, plus to give players rest for more energy on the court and not to have early injuries at the start of the season. I still believe our 2nd unit bench players should start the 2nd quarter of every game for the first 6 minutes of the 2nd quarter to build a chemistry .... Frank, Dotson, Mcderm, Willy, Quinn.

and1

Rotation player
i'm still not ready to throw frank into the starting line-up. his time is coming, soon, but there's still plenty of season to go for him and KP to build chemistry. plus, they have shared a lot of 4th quarter minutes together already, and those are the kinds of minutes that really build it. i'm holding on to my 'let's keep doing what we're doing until ASB' plan... for now.
i wouldn't mind throwing LT into the starting line-up though, and having lee run along with frank in the backcourt. but right now it's looking like mcBuckets is having more of an impact on the 2nd unit than beas is. i've seen some good things from beas, but i've also seen some not so good things. most of dougie's minutes have been pretty solid so far.

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
i'm still not ready to throw frank into the starting line-up. his time is coming, soon, but there's still plenty of season to go for him and KP to build chemistry. plus, they have shared a lot of 4th quarter minutes together already, and those are the kinds of minutes that really build it. i'm holding on to my 'let's keep doing what we're doing until ASB' plan... for now.
i wouldn't mind throwing LT into the starting line-up though, and having lee run along with frank in the backcourt. but right now it's looking like mcBuckets is having more of an impact on the 2nd unit than beas is. i've seen some good things from beas, but i've also seen some not so good things. most of dougie's minutes have been pretty solid so far.
Yea I'm with you on keeping frank on the bench for now. His confidence is growing, but he still needs to mature his offense and his physicality.

Role players like Jack and LT should start this year tbh.

I'm very intrigued by Dotson tho, I would like to see him get 15-20 minutes a night.

and1

Rotation player
Yea I'm with you on keeping frank on the bench for now. His confidence is growing, but he still needs to mature his offense and his physicality.

Role players like Jack and LT should start this year tbh.

I'm very intrigued by Dotson tho, I would like to see him get 15-20 minutes a night.

dotson's time may be coming soon too. he's been showing some high motor out there and he's definitely not shy.

Kiyaman

Legend
dotson's time may be coming soon too. he's been showing some high motor out there and he's definitely not shy.

I'm not fond of putting rookies in the same lineup .. but Dotson n Mcderm young athletic skill level are on the same-level plus putting the two young players Dotson/Mcderm in a lineup with rookie Frank leading the point for just 6 minute a game in the 2nd quarter of each game will build a future chemistry from the young trio.
PG Frank
SG Dotson
SF Mcderm
PF Willy aka WHG
C Quinn or Noah

Noah is back off of suspension .. I believe Noah's leadership are worth the money we are paying him for veteran-experience on the bench n court