New York Knicks - 2018 Draft

and1

Rotation player
So things are the same this season.... We know the top 4 are pretty muck locked up already (Chi, ATL, DAL, Sac). I would say Lakers and Suns and Nets probably in the mix for worst top 5 too.

I think NYK in that next tier. With teams like Clippers and Heat... as teams that could be a playoff team or a top 10 pick.

Is it possible we hit a skid and bottom out at about 30-35 wins, and a few teams go on a run (say LAK and PHO and DAL)? Maybe....

I think we have an outside chance to finish 5th or 6th.... most likely, we end up around 7-12 range.... which means we need a little lottery Luck to jump up.

Good news is the Greek Freak was the 15th pick. Maybe we end up with a stud even in the 7-12 range.

well, clarence gaines is still working for us. he is the guy who told phil to draft KP, frank, willy, kuz, dotson, etc. i still feel good about all those guys, even though we let go of kuz. put it this way, he hasn't drafted a flat out bust yet, so i'm feeling pretty confident about the next draft no matter where we land.

Broadway

All Star
well, clarence gaines is still working for us. he is the guy who told phil to draft KP, frank, willy, kuz, dotson, etc. i still feel good about all those guys, even though we let go of kuz. put it this way, he hasn't drafted a flat out bust yet, so i'm feeling pretty confident about the next draft no matter where we land.

A bust primarily applies to picks on the higher premium(lottery 1-14). I don't think fans expect the world if say we ended up with a very low first and/or lower pick(s)...we'd make the best of it. Keep in mind we did draft Grant(19)...who hadn't proved he was better than THJR and Cleanthony, Thanasis, under Phil's watch and Gaines was there then. WHG is benched at present so it's not so clear cut.

The strength in your argument lies when we have a premium pick and the payoff. So if anything it appears the higher the pick the greater the payoff with Gaines possibly hitting a home run(#kporzee(4) and Knits(8)). Thus you should be clamoring for a lottery pick in a draft that is sure to deliver at minimum 5 Blue Chippers this summer.

Last edited:

and1

Rotation player
dang, i forgot about grant already. it's true, i suppose busts do apply to higher premium picks, but you have to also praise when guys that were picked lower turn out to be pretty damn good.
i still feel pretty good about it though.

mafra

Legend
Grayson Allen with 37 points. 7-11 from downtown (he's now 17-26 from downtown this season).

Duvall with a fantastic night. He's a silky-smooth PG.

Bagley poked in the eye and miss most of game.

Wendell Carter Jr looked good in the paint.

For MSU, Bridges and Jackson as advertised.

Duke won.

Now it's time for Kentucky v Kansas.

Kiyaman

Legend
So things are the same this season.... We know the top 4 are pretty muck locked up already (Chi, ATL, DAL, Sac). I would say Lakers and Suns and Nets probably in the mix for worst top 5 too.

I think NYK in that next tier. With teams like Clippers and Heat... as teams that could be a playoff team or a top 10 pick.

Is it possible we hit a skid and bottom out at about 30-35 wins, and a few teams go on a run (say LAK and PHO and DAL)? Maybe....

I think we have an outside chance to finish 5th or 6th.... most likely, we end up around 7-12 range.... which means we need a little lottery Luck to jump up.

Good news is the Greek Freak was the 15th pick. Maybe we end up with a stud even in the 7-12 range.

Having the type of young-core n veteran roster we've got .. Noah/Kanter n Jack/Lee .. our best shot are to develop our young-core players by having a winning season (41+wins), to put big trade value on our young-core roster of players to trade-down on draft night.

mafra

Legend
This is why Perry should be contacting LAK, and try to find a way to flip WHG for Brandon Ingrahm. It'll probably work if we find a third team, to take either Noah or Deng.

Lakers would probably attach BI if they can dump Deng. So, could we find a third team to take WHG if they absorb Deng? Or, absorb Noah and we keep Deng.

Some team basically gets WHG for
Just absorbing a bad contract (with 2 years remaining).

Knicks would then have Ntikilina, Timmy, Dotson, Ingrahm, KP, KOQ, McDermott and a first round pick and high second rounder to build
Around.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Top high school prospect Anfernee Simons is considering entering the 2018 NBA draft, reports ESPN.

The 6?foot?4 shooting guard is ranked No. 12 nationally on 247sports.com and No. 8 on ESPN.

He is doing a fifth season of high school at IMG Academy in Florida.

Top high school prospect Anfernee Simons is considering entering the 2018 NBA draft, reports ESPN.

The 6?foot?4 shooting guard is ranked No. 12 nationally on 247sports.com and No. 8 on ESPN.

He is doing a fifth season of high school at IMG Academy in Florida.

...fifth season of high school?

tiger0330

Legend
What a tremendous blow to this draft but someone else will emerge

Didn't read how he injured his back, if it wasn't because of contact while playing my impression is isn't he a little young to be having back problems and is this career threatening?

mafra

Legend
Marvin Bagley with 30 & 15 tonight. I think 9-10 from FT line. He's almost unguardable. It's crazy to think he should be a senior in HS this year. 6/8 games with double-double.

And, last 3 games his team has come back from second half deficits.... in part bc of him.

tiger0330

Legend
Marvin Bagley with 30 & 15 tonight. I think 9-10 from FT line. He's almost unguardable. It's crazy to think he should be a senior in HS this year. 6/8 games with double-double.

And, last 3 games his team has come back from second half deficits.... in part bc of him.
Freak athlete, terrible FT shooter though I think thats fixable, his mechanics aren't too bad. I think the kid Doncic is the most skilled player in this draft but this kids innate gifts are too much to pass on, I think he's the number 1 pick this draft.

Broadway

All Star
Freak athlete, terrible FT shooter though I think thats fixable, his mechanics aren't too bad. I think the kid Doncic is the most skilled player in this draft but this kids innate gifts are too much to pass on, I think he's the number 1 pick this draft.

Bagley has been every bit as advertised and then some...a very special, special talent

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
How far down would MPJ slip if he decided to enter the draft?

I was thinking that he may be available as a 10th or 11th pick if teams have a concern

Broadway

All Star
I said he looked to be a bust after being drafted right after Porzingis. Apparently the Magic are giving up on him.

Interesting to see what Hezonja looks like when he gets minutes. What did he do against Detroit what dropped like 8 3s?

Orlando Tragic worst team in the league to develop talent...you know the team who traded away Oladipo and Tobias who both might make the All-Star team for the 1st time? Hezonja is a BUST because Orlando did everything possible to turn him into one. Orlando a franchise who makes the Sixers look like the Spurs as THE MODEL franchise

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
What a tremendous blow to this draft but someone else will emerge

Trae Young has 5 double doubles and a 43pt performance...
28.5/10.5 average thus far for the season

Fresh off a 26/22 and that 22 ain't rebounds folks, but hey Knicks go ahead and win 38gms falling in love with Super CoolBeas teasers and the usual 10-15gm love affair with Lance Thomas and get waxed by Lebron and Nem in the 1st round

mafra

Legend
Oklahoma Sooners freshman Trae Young tied the NCAA Division I record with 22 assists Tuesday night and became the first player in two decades to register at least 20 points and 20 assists in the same game.

Young's 22 assists tied a single-game record, shared by Syracuse's Sherman Douglas (1989), Southern's Avery Johnson (1988) and Charleston Southern's Tony Fairley (1987).

At 6-foot-2 and 180 pounds, Young is the Division I leader in points (28.5 PPG) and assists (10.2 APG).

Young has four games with at least 20 points and 10 assists this season, as many as anyone had in D-I last season. He also scored or assisted on 72 percent of Oklahoma's offense against Northwestern State, and he was responsible for more points than the Demons scored (68) as a team.

????-

Good point, Broadway, on ORL failing to develop guys. Add KOQ to that list.... Herz should join our euro-centric roster where he can blossom.