New York Knicks - 2018 Draft

Broadway

All Star
With 48 today here is a log of his last 14gms

Maybe 4 of them he shot a somewhat undesirable percentage but overall he's a killer offensively. They lost a tough one today in OT by 2 to Okie State

Last night, Trae with 44pts 4reb 9ast and a win over Baylor. He shot well this game, I've never seen anything like this in college

mafra

Legend
Young is a legit prospect but so is the PG from ALA and that dude locked Young down last weekend.

Broadway

All Star
Young is a legit prospect but so is the PG from ALA and that dude locked Young down last weekend.

I recall I posted about 6 prospects worthy of front row attention...Sexton was included although I didn't list them by name. Mentioning 6 was being modest and I wasn't including Porter. I'll do so now

Doncic
Bagley
Ayton
Sexton
Young
Carter
Jackson
Bridges

And we know Kentucky has at least 1-2 prospects and a sleeper like Kuzma/Markanen caliber no one sees until later will be lurking. All of these guys don't play every game great and they won't all be great but a few of them will and right now our position sucks to get any of them. We haven't even got to Conference/tourney play yet.

tiger0330

Legend
Last night, Trae with 44pts 4reb 9ast and a win over Baylor. He shot well this game, I've never seen anything like this in college
Despite his gaudy numbers you have to have doubts about the kid. One thing I'm certain of he's not going number 1.

Broadway

All Star
Despite his gaudy numbers you have to have doubts about the kid. One thing I'm certain of he's not going number 1.

I'm not sure draft order is important except maybe to a couple who declare and feel they have a legit shot to go #1(which he does). With that being said teams can doubt him all they want and if he drops they very well will be the ones lamenting if he turns out to be the stud he appears to be. Think Minnesota drafting Scrubio and Flynn while passing on Curry, Kings taking Tyreke Evans because he was a Kentucky product instead of drafting Curry. Same may be said of a prospect like Doncic who could get passed #1 overall for a big like Girzzlies drafting Thabeet over Harden...Utah drafting Kanter over Kemba..Philly drafting Noel a Kentucky product over McCollum

I'd be very careful whoever is sitting at the top

If we do the comparables and go best case scenario with a few of the top blue chippers who's going #1 no bias inserted

David Robinson - Ayton
Chris Bosh - Bagley
Kukoc - Doncic
Shareef - Jackson
Horford - Carter
Curry - Young
Durant - Porter
Bledsoe - Sexton
Gobert - Bamba
PG13 - Knox

Some are slight reaches/best case scenarios but overall I don't have real big problems with these comparisons from NBADraft.net. Although I feel Porter is more Micheal Finley than Durant and Doncic is more Petrovic than Kukoc...the others aren't bad comparables. There is a Doncic lite in this draft in Musa(kid can shoot and is crafty as hell)...lol. At the end of the day it's about putting yourself in position to get a best case scenario not listening and acquiescing to journeymen bums on this team or a star player who has struggled to prove himself as DA MAN!

Spend time watching youtube clips for any of these guys I listed and trust me you'll feel a little different with each loss. btw I looked at, at least 8-10 Mock Drafts and Trae Young is pretty much a lock top 5. As of now Ayton/Doncic have taken over the #1 spot it appears. Doncic would be my target at #1 for what we need and nature of our team.

If size isn't a problem for Trey Burke(OUR SAVIOR) who measures a heavenly 6'1" then it shouldn't be an issue for Trae

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Figured this had to get done

So it's Asik/Jameer/Allen/1st(protected) for Mirotic. They may get Moose too if Boston doesn't seal the deal

mafra

Legend
"I would definitely try to just acquire as many as assets for the future as I could," longtime NBA agent Keith Glass told SNY.tv in reference to the Knicks.

The Knicks currently have just a 4 percent chance of landing a top-3 pick via Talkathon.com, but if their winning percentage drops to around 35 percent from its current 43 percent to finish the season, they would increase their odds of getting a top-3 pick to 18.3 percent. Obviously, the more they lose down the stretch, the better their odds of being in contention for a player like Luka Dončić of Real Madrid, Deandre Ayton of Arizona, Marvin Bagley III of Duke, Trae Young of Oklahoma or Mohamed Bamba of Texas, a Harlem, N.Y., native.

In addition to trading from the glut of centers, the Knicks could create more cap space by dealing wing Courtney Lee, who has a manageable $25 million left on his contract for the next two years.

Lee, 32, is shooting 42 percent from downtown, so the Knicks could sell him now to enable more long-term flexibility.

"If I can get an asset back for Courtney Lee, I'd do it," Glass said.

Enes Kanter, who has a player option next season for $18.6 million, is averaging 14.5 points and 10.0 rebounds, and has been a driving force in what success the Knicks have enjoyed this year. He's also a tremendous locker room guy, so the Knicks should hold on to him.

Even if New York winds up in the lottery, or the upper part of the lottery, both the Knicks and their fans should be wary of a quick fix.

"Even if you acquire assets, you've got to deploy them properly," Glass said. "They're putting so much credence into these draft classes, and these draft classes are full of 19-year-old kids.

"You're getting people mass produced by AAU programs, couple that with the one-and-done. They're the new savior of the franchise. They're not saviors, there's very few individual players that are saviors. It's more than just bad contracts and caps, it's all related to this never-ending cycle that the Knicks have been in where everybody's the next savior."

He added: "You're not going to make it in the draft alone. The best you can hope for is you have flexibility and that you make good choices in the draft and in free agency. And they haven't."

Glass believes that stems from the philosophy that New York teams don't believe their fans will allow a decent rebuild.

"They're fantastic fans and they'll support whatever you want to do," Glass said. "You know what Knicks fans would've supported these last 30 years? Effort. If you play your [butt] off in New York, they will support you. They've demonstrated that."

Paul1355

All Star
The Knicks currently have just a 4 percent chance of landing a top-3 pick via Talkathon.com, but if their winning percentage drops to around 35 percent from its current 43 percent to finish the season, they would increase their odds of getting a top-3 pick to 18.3 percent. Obviously, the more they lose down the stretch, the better their odds of being in contention for a player like Luka Dončić of Real Madrid, Deandre Ayton of Arizona, Marvin Bagley III of Duke, Trae Young of Oklahoma or Mohamed Bamba of Texas, a Harlem, N.Y., native.

In addition to trading from the glut of centers, the Knicks could create more cap space by dealing wing Courtney Lee, who has a manageable $25 million left on his contract for the next two years.

Lee, 32, is shooting 42 percent from downtown, so the Knicks could sell him now to enable more long-term flexibility.

"If I can get an asset back for Courtney Lee, I'd do it," Glass said.

Enes Kanter, who has a player option next season for $18.6 million, is averaging 14.5 points and 10.0 rebounds, and has been a driving force in what success the Knicks have enjoyed this year. He's also a tremendous locker room guy, so the Knicks should hold on to him.

Even if New York winds up in the lottery, or the upper part of the lottery, both the Knicks and their fans should be wary of a quick fix.

"Even if you acquire assets, you've got to deploy them properly," Glass said. "They're putting so much credence into these draft classes, and these draft classes are full of 19-year-old kids.

"You're getting people mass produced by AAU programs, couple that with the one-and-done. They're the new savior of the franchise. They're not saviors, there's very few individual players that are saviors. It's more than just bad contracts and caps, it's all related to this never-ending cycle that the Knicks have been in where everybody's the next savior."

He added: "You're not going to make it in the draft alone. The best you can hope for is you have flexibility and that you make good choices in the draft and in free agency. And they haven't."

Glass believes that stems from the philosophy that New York teams don't believe their fans will allow a decent rebuild.

"They're fantastic fans and they'll support whatever you want to do," Glass said. "You know what Knicks fans would've supported these last 30 years? Effort. If you play your [butt] off in New York, they will support you. They've demonstrated that."

What?s the article source?

Effort is key and seeing the team give up 123+ three games in a row during that home stretch was tough to swallow.

I agreed with the quotes, kanter should stay. As much as I love lees consistency, he is 32, at his peak value wise, and it seems to be the best time to deal him. The fans unfairly labeled Kp as their savior and we need some depth to even think we can compete. This is why the signings of Michael Beasley, trey Burke and even jarret jack have been positive low cost moves.
I don?t believe a team should ever accept the tank mode, but management can.

We should deal Lee, Thomas, and let Gomez get his wish as well as buyout Noah. If we are going to deal oquinn as well then we need to look into a big man replacement. I?d also be open with a small forward if we lose Lee because I can?t stand lance Thomas playing big minutes anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mafra

Legend
Now that NY trades for Mudiay, the Knicks are going to be looking for a true SF wing in this draft. Mudiay, Knits, Burke, Dotson and Timmy is a huge improvement over the guards this team has employed the last 2 decades...

Porter or Ducic or Bagley or bust!

NY has a golden opportunity now to sneak into top 5 worst records....

Adding a top 7 lottery pick is gonna be huge for this roster.

This way, NY can boast a solid young Corp to tre 2019 free agent class PLUS the Knicks will have a lottery pick next year which could be used in a trade next summer.

Say we have KP, Knits, Lottery pick this year, we sign Kanter, have Timmy and Mudiay/Burke... sign a free agent and either draft another lottery stud or trade that for a more established all-star caliber player.

This, My friends, is how NYK get back to competing for Conf titles.

mafra

Legend
Now the Knicks and their fans should be dreaming of another top-five pick who could turn out to be Arizona's Deandre Ayton, Duke's Marvin Bagley III, Oklahoma's Trae Young, Texas' Mohamed Bamba or maybe even European star Luka Dončić. This draft figures to be dominated by big men and scoring wings near the top, with Missouri's Michael Porter, Villanova's Mikal Bridges, Kentucky's Kevin Knox and Michigan State's Miles Bridges also likely to be lottery picks.

"Well, they should be [dreaming of a top-five pick] because this is a tragic injury for the Zinger; you hope he's going to recover 100 percent," ESPN's Fran Fraschilla said. "But right now the key way the Knicks can make any progress for the long term is to try to get as high a draft pick as possible in a year where there's potentially six or seven future All-Stars in this draft."

Broadway

All Star
Now the Knicks and their fans should be dreaming of another top-five pick who could turn out to be Arizona's Deandre Ayton, Duke's Marvin Bagley III, Oklahoma's Trae Young, Texas' Mohamed Bamba or maybe even European star Luka Dončić. This draft figures to be dominated by big men and scoring wings near the top, with Missouri's Michael Porter, Villanova's Mikal Bridges, Kentucky's Kevin Knox and Michigan State's Miles Bridges also likely to be lottery picks.

"Well, they should be [dreaming of a top-five pick] because this is a tragic injury for the Zinger; you hope he's going to recover 100 percent," ESPN's Fran Fraschilla said. "But right now the key way the Knicks can make any progress for the long term is to try to get as high a draft pick as possible in a year where there's potentially six or seven future All-Stars in this draft."

Almost Verbatim

I don't think it's as clear cut anymore hence NBADraft.net has Ayton #1 and Trae #3(he wasn't in the top 30 to start the season I don't believe). I'm not saying Bagley isn't a deserved consensus #1 but the gap has closed immensely.

There are 6 prospects who IMO have stud status written all over them and we may not have a chance at none of them

tiger0330

Legend
Any of these guys not one and done college freshman? After seeing some of these guys, Nits, Okafor, Russell, Lonzo maybe the Knicks should consider guys that are more NBA ready like DM, Kuzma, Dunn.

mafra

Legend
?Some NBA executives have observed the Knicks have a well-stocked scouting department under the new regime, but not enough developmental coaches. One NBA assistant recently pointed to Ntilikina?s modest development this season as perhaps a cause.?

(Article in Post talking about bringing back Pablo to be a coach/mentor to our 3 young PGs).

?Some NBA executives have observed the Knicks have a well-stocked scouting department under the new regime, but not enough developmental coaches. One NBA assistant recently pointed to Ntilikina?s modest development this season as perhaps a cause.?

(Article in Post talking about bringing back Pablo to be a coach/mentor to our 3 young PGs).

Prigioni mentoring Ntilikina seems like a good fit. He?d convince Frank to always pass and never shoot again unless it is a wide open 3.

mafra

Legend
https://nypost.com/2018/02/15/mikal-vs-miles-bridges-two-draft-options-if-knicks-tank-fails/

The Knicks? final 23 games after the All-Star break are only a series of ?Bridges?? to their next date of import: the May 15 draft lottery.

Pun intended.

If the lottery were held now, the Knicks would hold the ninth-best odds with a 23-36 record and a league-high eight-game losing streak entering the break.

If they stay at No. 9 after the pingpong balls dance, that would put them in position to draft either of two small forwards ? 6-7 junior Mikal Bridges of Villanova or 6-6 sophomore Miles Bridges of Michigan State.

The Knicks are focused most on that position, which was left thin following Carmelo Anthony?s departure.

They have a plethora of point guards, shooting guards and centers, and Kristaps Porzingis could man power forward for the next 10 years. Lance Thomas is the lone true ?3?? on the roster.

Seth Greenberg, former Virginia Tech coach and ESPN?s college-basketball guru the past six years, told The Post he?s a big fan of Mikal, 21, and prefers him over Miles, 19.

A gushing Greenberg places Mikal, who is averaging 16.5 points on 48 percent shooting, as a definite top-10 pick. The top small forward in the draft should be 6-foot-10 Michael Porter, who had what was expected to be season-ending back surgery, but there have been reports he could still try to play again late in the season for Missouri.

The Knicks would have to bust the odds to get into the top 3 (6.1 percent) and be in contention for Porter.

?He has a chance to be really special,?? Greenberg said of Mikal. ?He?s 6-8. He can defend anyone. He can shoot it. He?s fundamentally sound. He?s got a real high basketball IQ. He?s got a toughness about him ? a redshirt freshman with the size, length, defensively skilled and maturity.

?Just a really good feel for the game and maturity and from a winning program. He?s so fundamentally sound it?s incredible.?

The Knicks will zoom into developmental mode after this weekend?s break. Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek hinted it?s time to play the young players. One imminent change, the coach said, will be reducing minutes of veteran starter Jarrett Jack and rolling with the three young lottery-pick point guards in Frank Ntilikina, Emmanuel Mudiay and Trey Burke, a DNP in the Washington choke Wednesday.

In the same vein, expect rookie second-rounder Damyean Dotson?s minutes to climb as Courtney Lee?s shrink.

That means the Knicks could sink in the standings and improve their lottery standing to better than No. 9. However, the teams in the Knicks? neighborhood, too, are content to tank at this point ? except the Nets, whose pick belongs to the Cavaliers.

Mikal and Miles Bridges, no relation, should be in the Knicks? range as Greenberg sees a lot of strong power forwards and centers going ahead of them ? Marvin Bagley, Jaren Jackson Jr., DeAndre Ayton and Mohamed Bamba ? and point guards Trae Young and Collin Sexton.

NBAdraft.net has Mikal and Miles going 11-12 respectively.

Miles, who plays for Michigan State and averages 17.3 points on 48 percent from the field, also could be a good fit, especially with Knicks president Steve Mills and GM Scott Perry emphasizing a need for athleticism.

Some have compared Miles to Draymond Green, but that?s mostly because Green played at Michigan State, too. Bridges is considered more of an athlete, similar to the Suns? Josh Jackson.

?Not only can he really shoot the ball, but he?s a freakish athlete who can run the floor,?? said Greenberg, a Long Island native. ?He could be a better rebounder. He doesn?t have the feel for the game like Mikal or Draymond. He?s dynamic but not as good a perimeter defender.

?He?s having a good year, not a great year,?? Greenberg added. ?His team is so good. That?s the problem. He?s not asked to do too much.?

Another small forward in the late lottery range is Kentucky?s 6-foot-9 freshman Kevin Knox.

?He?s big-time shooter,? Greenberg said of Knox. ?He needs to get tougher and put the ball on the floor better. He can shoot and post-up some ? a poor man?s Klay Thompson.??

The Knicks would have to get luck to be in position to draft Porter or Luka Doncic, a 6-foot-6 European star who could play point guard or on the wing in the NBA. Greenberg hasn?t seen Doncic live but his brother, Brad Greenberg, who coaches in Israel, predicted he?s the No. 1 pick.

Seth believes Porter would be No. 1 if not for his back woes.

?The kid?s real talented,?? Greenberg said. ?He?s got some Jayson Tatum in him ? very good passer, good size. The back is an issue. That is a concern. He?s also thin-framed. At worst he?s Brandon Ingram and best he?s Tatum and is definitely a 3. He?ll be all about the physical.??

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
LOS ANGELES ? Charles Barkley won?t kick the Knicks when they?re down.

The legendary TNT mouthpiece believes ?you people in New York?? need more patience with Kristaps Porzingis as well as with the club?s future, saying the franchise is building something sturdy.

Barkley even thinks Porzingis? catastrophic ACL tear that jeopardizes next season, too, could benefit the franchise ?in the long run,? despite admitting the incident was ?really sad.??

?He was on the right track to being a helluva player,?? Barkley said at TNT?s temporary set next to Staples Center during All-Star weekend festivities Thursday night. ?It?s really unfortunate. They had done a good job. I like the (Frank) Ntilikina guy. (Tim) Hardaway Jr. was playing well. I still love the (Enes) Kanter deal.

?The Knicks are going to get better. The problem with you people in New York is you all have zero patience. If you keep drafting and adding players, sooner or later, you?re going to have a good team. But they never have patience in New York.??

?It will probably be good for the Knicks in the long run,?? Barkley said. ?Because you?re all in a position of getting ping-pong balls. Hypothetically, if you did make the playoffs this year and you?re eighth seed, you?re going to lose in the first round. Now you?re going to get another lottery pick. I don?t understand why everyone is so impatient. I think the Knicks are building toward a future.?

Barkley still has faith in the 22-year-old Porzingis despite his durability issues. He was supposed to make his All-Star Game debut Sunday but he?s now laid up on crutches.

In early December, Porzingis leveled off after an MVP-like start but that has caused Barkley no alarm. The surgery will prevent him from working on parts of his game this offseason and limit his ability to bulk up as he focuses on his knee and quad.

Porzingis finished the season playing 48 games. He?s missed 60 games in his first three seasons.

?When a guy?s 22, I don?t think you?re going to notice he had an ACL in a couple of years,?? Barkley said. ?The way you can work on these guys today and him being so young. ? If he was 35, I?d be concerned. I got more hope for him than [DeMarcus] Cousins. That injury (Achilles tear) Boogie got is devastating. I don?t mean to be morbid but I think he?d rather tear an ACL than an Achilles.??

Barkley still has faith in the 22-year-old Porzingis despite his durability issues. He was supposed to make his All-Star Game debut Sunday but he?s now laid up on crutches.

In early December, Porzingis leveled off after an MVP-like start but that has caused Barkley no alarm. The surgery will prevent him from working on parts of his game this offseason and limit his ability to bulk up as he focuses on his knee and quad.

Porzingis finished the season playing 48 games. He?s missed 60 games in his first three seasons.

?When a guy?s 22, I don?t think you?re going to notice he had an ACL in a couple of years,?? Barkley said. ?The way you can work on these guys today and him being so young. ? If he was 35, I?d be concerned. I got more hope for him than [DeMarcus] Cousins. That injury (Achilles tear) Boogie got is devastating. I don?t mean to be morbid but I think he?d rather tear an ACL than an Achilles.??

https://nypost.com/2018/02/16/some-knicks-optimism-from-a-most-unlikely-source/

mafra

Legend
I think it?s becoming clearer by the day that NYK will finish 9th. I doubt CHA or LAK will catch us... both are 4 back.

Knicks have 38 losses. Chicago has 41, Nets have 42, and both ORL and ATL have 43.

On the Western front, Mavs, Suns, MEM and SAC all are 5 or 6 wins behind NY.

With 20 games remaining.... it might prove to be too difficult to catch all these 42-44 loss squads.

Now, certainly, all it takes a 3 game win streak by 1 of those 8 teams.... coinciding with a losing streak by us. But I don?t see us tanking the final 20 (going 4-16 or something).

On top of that, even if we do lose the majority of our remaining games... the aforementioned pathetic 8 will lose just as much.

The good news is we should be locked in to 9... without risk of fallling in the 10-14 range.

There?s also hope we can catch a team or 2.... 7th would be golden, for we could scoop up the last remaining lottery stud.

And, even at 9, we still have a potential ping pong miracle.

And, even at 9, we have a good chance landing that SF kid from Villanover (Mikal Bridges).

For more on him,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl..._draft_2018_villanova_superstar_to_knicks.amp

mafra

Legend
?If athletic wing players are the future of the NBA, the Knicks may be on the verge of becoming a modern contender.

In Basketball Insiders' latest 2018 NBA mock draft , the Knicks selected Villanova superstar Mikal Bridges with the No. 9 overall pick.

In a December piece on Bridges' ascension to one of the sport's best prospects, SB Nation called him an "advanced stats monster" and one of the best perimeter defenders in college basketball.

How good are we talking?

If you accept that BPM is perhaps the best all-in-one metric to evaluate an individual's contributions in college basketball, then Bridges is currently in the midst of a historic season.

That's the list of players who have posted a BPM over 16.0 while scoring at least 100 points in a season since 2010-11. Two of those players (Karl-Anthony Towns and Anthony Davis) went No. 1 overall in the NBA draft and another (Victor Oladipo) went with the second pick. Everyone but Sindarius Thornwell was a first-round pick, and he was taken in the second round.

Bridges, to that point, was having a better season than all of those ex-college stars.

Doc Rivers to be next Knicks head coach?

Heading into play on Feb. 28, Bridges was averaging 17.2 points. 5.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game for a title-contending Wildcats team.

If Bridges arrived to the Knicks, the shooting guard-small forward combo could be paired with Kristaps Porzingis to form a devastating small-ball scoring lineup with the ability to run the floor.