Game thread: New York Knicks vs Toronto Raptors 11/22/2017 7:30

tiger0330

Legend
That was my only complaint was why were the Knicks the only team willing to pay him $72M. It's not looking like such a smart move now for the Hawks letting Timmy walk esp with the money teams are paying guys these days. Timmy really has impressed me with his speed, athleticism, ball handling and defense. Only weakness is his streaky shooting at times which he can mitigate by driving to the rim for easy buckets when the 3 isn't falling.
And maybe the most important thing that Horn mentioned about Timmy is his intensity and he's all about winning.

mafra

Legend
What a freaking third quarter, huh? 41-10 Knicks... TOR made 1 shot!!!! Knicks went on a 28-0 run (part of a 32-2 run). Probably one of the best quarters in franchise history.

BTW, play of the game (in a game chulk full of them) was the precision bounce pass Kanter snuck thru midway thru fourth that led to a KP-&-1 layups. Fantastic dish! Apropos for the occasion.

What inspiring team defense they played, which fueled their offense.

"Per Elias, the Knicks? 28-0 run in 3rd quarter tonight was the biggest run by a team since the Cavaliers had a 29-0 run against the Bucks in December 2009."

Per ESPN stats, "The @nyknicks outscored Raptors 41-10 in 3rd quarter. The +31 margin is New York's best scoring margin in a quarter in the the shot-clock era (since 1954-55)."

FYI, as Flynn noted over on poastingandtoasting, "Kristaps Porzingis didn?t hit a shot in the third. Think about that: 16 made field goals, and none from Kristaps. He did contribute 2 free throws to the Knicks 41 points."

THJr is a breath of fresh air. I have a soft spot for him bc we drafted him.... But, man, it's nice to finally have a real NBA guard.

He is continuing to elevate his play, and he plays with passion.

?From Courtney Lee: ?My man Tracy Morgan told me he?s been waiting years for a team like this.?

Happy Timsgiving!

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
?We just challenged guys at halftime,? Hornacek said. ?We challenged them at halftime to get up and get after guys and put pressure, make nothing easy, and they responded in that third quarter. They were great.?

?That?s great. It?s great to be on that other end of the spectrum,? said Hardaway ?It?s just a fun style of play when we?re out there just having fun, man. Getting stops, we?re running, not worrying about who scores the ball. Just doing what we can to get the fans involved and get them excited, get them hyped. We feed off their energy.?

Before the game, Toronto coach Dwane Casey compared Enes Kanter to another famed offensive rebounder, Dennis Rodman, and he referred to veteran point guard Jarrett Jack as a ?tough guy and a natural leader.?

jimkcchief88

All Star
What a freaking third quarter, huh? 41-10 Knicks... TOR made 1 shot!!!! Knicks went on a 28-0 run (part of a 32-2 run). Probably one of the best quarters in franchise history.

BTW, play of the game (in a game chulk full of them) was the precision bounce pass Kanter snuck thru midway thru fourth that led to a KP-&-1 layups. Fantastic dish! Apropos for the occasion.

What inspiring team defense they played, which fueled their offense.

"Per Elias, the Knicks? 28-0 run in 3rd quarter tonight was the biggest run by a team since the Cavaliers had a 29-0 run against the Bucks in December 2009."

Per ESPN stats, "The @nyknicks outscored Raptors 41-10 in 3rd quarter. The +31 margin is New York's best scoring margin in a quarter in the the shot-clock era (since 1954-55)."

FYI, as Flynn noted over on poastingandtoasting, "Kristaps Porzingis didn?t hit a shot in the third. Think about that: 16 made field goals, and none from Kristaps. He did contribute 2 free throws to the Knicks 41 points."

THJr is a breath of fresh air. I have a soft spot for him bc we drafted him.... But, man, it's nice to finally have a real NBA guard.

He is continuing to elevate his play, and he plays with passion.

?From Courtney Lee: ?My man Tracy Morgan told me he?s been waiting years for a team like this.?

Happy Timsgiving!

That?s crazy I get the score alerts and we were down, we were down, ok we are going to lose to the Craptors then bam

mafra

Legend
Lee, who was called out specifically by Hornacek at halftime, scored nine early points in the quarter-long spurt to spark the onslaught, while Hardaway registered 12 of his career-high 38 points in the session.

?We came in here, we watched film and coach kind of got on me,? Lee said, adding that Hornacek?s words were ?a little explicit.?

?I really didn?t like what was being said. That?s what you?re supposed to do as a player. You?re supposed to respond,? Lee continued. ?And not only did I respond, but everybody on the team was out there and we played great defense in the second half. I don?t think I can repeat what (Hornacek) said, to the media. But we exchanged words and we went from there, responded and we got the win.?

?We knew that was the first half, there were moments we played good but for the most part, that wasn?t us again,? Porzingis said.

?At halftime, we had some stronger words for each other and we talked about stuff that we wanted to do better and we came out in the second half and played like a different team.?

The Knicks, who planned to spend Thanksgiving dinner at the Atlanta-area home of veteran point guard Jarrett Jack, have shown plenty of differences to start the first season since Jackson was fired, the triangle was scrapped and Carmelo Anthony was traded to Oklahoma City.

As Lee noted, ?Last year we were running a different system, a little slower pace, but this year is more up and down.?

Adding Hardaway to that system, on what fully seemed like an ill-advised deal a short time ago, has turned out to be a strong fit and has been as important as any of the changes.

The Hawks, who were offering $48 million over the same timeframe, didn?t match the Knicks? four-year, $71 million offer sheet for the restricted free agent in July.

?I think there was that concern. Tim had started to turn the corner in terms of being a great player. He finished the last half of the season having a very good second half, and we knew that was just kind of the beginning,? Hornacek said of Hardaway, the Knicks? first-round pick in 2013. ?So I don?t think there was any concern about bringing him back. (Knicks president) Steve Mills did a great job of figuring out how we could get him and what it might take. There was concern that Atlanta might match it, so when they didn?t, we were pretty happy.?

As is Hardaway, who noted: ?I?m thankful to be back here. It?s a wonderful opportunity for me. I?m happy, I?m excited. This group loves one another. You can see out there on the floor we?re playing for one another. The passion is there. Like I said, we?re continuing to look for our identity. That?s what I love about this team.?

tiger0330

Legend
CLee has 7 pts and Knicks cut the lead to 3 on THJ block of Valencunis at the rim which leads to a Kanter layup, guys feeding on the MSG crowd energy it looks to me.
Breakdown of that great defensive performance last night. Timmy's block of JV included and look at how many times the supposed no D Kanter is involved in stopping the PnR.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
The way Kanter, McDermott and Timmy are playing defense is incredible. They've improved on that end and earnestly are buying into effort and team defense.

If we keep Kanter and Dougie and draft well with that second rounder... and then that allows us to deal WHG for something. Dang, might go down as best NYK trade since Dave Debush, no?

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Now we can say we have a TEAM.....
Also it is interesting that a quiet night from KP worth 22 points and 12 rebounds...

and1

Rotation player
i really hope this team effort and attitude we're seeing, especially on the defensive end, continues to build. we're going to need it big time when the schedule gets ugly in late december and pretty much all through january. it's going to get ugly y'all, but if they keep up this attitude and this effort and this refuse-to-die mentality we may be able to weather the storm at least a little bit to maintain a level of respectability.
the good news is coach horns and management seem to be on the same page and you absolutely need that if you want a better chance of keeping this going.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Best outstanding performance vs a top contender opponent !!!

Breakdown of that great defensive performance last night. Timmy's block of JV included and look at how many times the supposed no D Kanter is involved in stopping the PnR.

The last time i seen the Knicks come-out after halftime with a lock-down DEFENSE from the starters lineup, we had coach Pat Riley or we had coach Red Holzman as our head coach .. Now that was OLD SKHOOL B.Ball 100% the Defense making a outstanding offense!
Our Starter lineup gets much big PROPS praise from me n all Knicks Fans for their Relentless Team DEFENSE STOPS at the start to the end of the 3rd quarter (41-10 quarter) Remarkable Performance in the NBA vs a contender team!
The defensive leadership n skills we were expecting to get from SG Courtney Lee showed up big time ..
The defensive switching by center Kanter was something we nor OKC knew Kanter had in his skills ..
And Tim Hardaway Jr. 2-way all-star performance was off the charts of expect the unexpected ..
Jack n KP played their team winning-role on both ends of the court as a Same-Page Team ..
Head coach Jeff Hornacek gets a A+ grade for the Knicks starter lineup outstanding 2nd half performance !!!
GO Knicks GO !!!