Game-Thread .. Turn up the AC .. its hot in Houston

knicksin60

Starter
Let's face it, if the Knicks had a deep bench they wouldn't look this awful on the road when their key starters are injured. I expected them to lose by a lot more when I found out they were going to wheel out Beasley, WHG and Lance Thomas.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Were we supposed to defeat Huston without KP and Kanter? No, even with them it is a long shot.... people swing from talking about rebuilding and young team to feeling bad because we didn't beat the best record in the west without two main starters........

we were saying at the beginning of the year that we have a lot of centers and we don't know which one to play, turned out we have only Kanter at center, we don't even have a back up for him. I hope Noah can be good as a backup, although i don't think so.

Kiyaman

Legend
HOU bench had 44 points.
NYY bench had 14 points.

Dantoni got a winning defensive coaching-staff in Houston ..
plus having seven decent 2-way players on the roster .. The Rox are a FINALS team.
Phoenix, NY and LA refuse to force Dantoni to take a defensive coaching-staff ..

Jeff Hornacek are still on probation from his rookie season as a head coach .. our coaching-staff the past 7 season refuse to play team defense/plus our last 3 head coaches refuse to average above a 8 man rotation throughout the season .. last season Horn did a very poor job developing the young n veteran players .. OK we had Phil/Melo/Rose running the show!

We havn't played 20 games yet, its early in the season .. We need to create a bench lineup!
Head Coach Horn should had gave 5 bench players above 20 minute playing time in both back to back games .. to keep them prepared plus give the bench-players some team-confidence.
In a road back to back none of our starters needed to play above 28 minute back to back, its to early in the season plus the bench players need some long minutes on the court.

Tonight proved ....
Quinn should average 24 minute per as a C/F for the remainder of season ..
WHG should be at the PF spot like the Rox has Anderson in their lineup ..
Mcderm should average 24 minute per as a SF for the remainder of season ..
Frank should average 24 minute per for his defensive length n ball distribution ..
Beasley drives or Dotson perimeter performance should average 12 minute ..

mafra

Legend
Were we supposed to defeat Huston without KP and Kanter? No, even with them it is a long shot.... people swing from talking about rebuilding and young team to feeling bad because we didn't beat the best record in the west without two main starters........

we were saying at the beginning of the year that we have a lot of centers and we don't know which one to play, turned out we have only Kanter at center, we don't even have a back up for him. I hope Noah can be good as a backup, although i don't think so.

This is why i was disappointed in HORN tonight. What does it prove to beat HOU if Lee and Beasley score 90 combined points? Remember when Hughes and Harrington were winning just enough games for NYK, that they ended up with Danilo and Hill instead of Westbrook and Curry?

What I'm getting at is why didn't Dotson and Frank play about 30 minutes each tonight? Throw them in a low pressure game and let them learn from Paul, Harden, and Gordon.

We lost anyway playing heavy minutes to Jack and Lee.

This was a learning opportunity for them.... Heck, even break out Ron Baker. Give these guy some minutes on a night you know you're losing.

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
This is why i was disappointed in HORN tonight. What does it prove to beat HOU if Lee and Beasley score 90 combined points? Remember when Hughes and Harrington were winning just enough games for NYK, that they ended up with Danilo and Hill instead of Westbrook and Curry?

What I'm getting at is why didn't Dotson and Frank play about 30 minutes each tonight? Throw them in a low pressure game and let them learn from Paul, Harden, and Gordon.

This was a learning opportunity for them.... Heck, even break out Ron Baker. Give these guy some minutes on a night you know you're losing.

i agree that the youngsters should play more minutes. Right now tho, Horny is more worried about keeping his job so he knows he has a better chance of winning about 40 games with the veterans.

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
Dantoni got a winning defensive coaching-staff in Houston ..
plus having seven decent 2-way players on the roster .. The Rox are a FINALS team.
Phoenix, NY and LA refuse to force Dantoni to take a defensive coaching-staff ..

Jeff Hornacek are still on probation from his rookie season as a head coach .. our coaching-staff the past 7 season refuse to play team defense/plus our last 3 head coaches refuse to average above a 8 man rotation throughout the season .. last season Horn did a very poor job developing the young n veteran players .. OK we had Phil/Melo/Rose running the show!

We havn't played 20 games yet, its early in the season .. We need to create a bench lineup!
Head Coach Horn should had gave 5 bench players above 20 minute playing time in both back to back games .. to keep them prepared plus give the bench-players some team-confidence.
In a road back to back none of our starters needed to play above 28 minute back to back, its to early in the season plus the bench players need some long minutes on the court.

Tonight proved ....
Quinn should average 24 minute per as a C/F for the remainder of season ..
WHG should be at the PF spot like the Rox has Anderson in their lineup ..
Mcderm should average 24 minute per as a SF for the remainder of season ..
Frank should average 24 minute per for his defensive length n ball distribution ..
Beasley drives or Dotson perimeter performance should average 12 minute ..
Great assessment Kiya
our team only scoring 14 bench points should be a wake up call for Horny to start playing more ppl or to at least sub in the right guys when needed.
if someone’s not scoring/shooting a low percentage then get them the **** out. It’s simple tbh

I think there has been overreaction to this Houston loss because people are still angry about losing to Atlanta and because the 20-game mark is where we have fallen apart the last couple seasons.

Personally, I?m most upset about how we have handled WHG. We could have moved him for a 1st round pick at one time. Instead, we kept him on the bench for long stretches and now that we have injuries, he doesn?t look good out there. As you said, Kanter is our only viable option at center unless we are going small ball or until we decide to let Noah back into the fold.

and1

Rotation player
well let's think about those comeback wins earlier this season. a lot of the time we had up to 2 bench players out there on the floor at the end of those games, some combination of frank, thomas and mcBuckets. so he HAS done that already and he's shown that he's willing to do that. but when the bench is performing poorly he pulls them out. not only have they not been scoring lately but they've also allowed the opponent to go on runs. so i don't think he deserves criticism for that, BUT he should seriously consider rotating in more guys, at least 1 more per game.
it's a tough situation because you don't want your bench guys to think you're losing confidence in them but at the same time you want to give someone else a shot if the guy on the floor just doesn't have it that night. what it comes down to in the last few games is that the bench is not performing well at all for some reason. they're in a slump.
let's consider o'quinn. coming off the bench the last few games he hasn't looked great, certainly not as good as he looked earlier. but last night he puts up 15 rebounds, 4 assists and 20 points in 26 minutes. that's pretty damn good.
it's looking like frank is in a rookie slump right now. hopefully he snaps out of it and i'm pretty confident he will. i'd prefer it happen to him now rather than later in the season. it's always better for a rookie if he finishes the season strong, that way he can go into summer/training camp feeling more confident and eager to get back to work.

mafra

Legend
Hall of Fame C Hakeem Olajuwon said he would love to work one-on-one with Knicks star F Kristaps Porzingis to teach him some of his ways.

Olajuwon, who works with his former team -- the Houston Rockets -- as an advisor, already believes Porzingis has the necessary skills to be a star, and that includes his post game.

"I think [he makes it] easy," Olajuwon told The Post's Marc Berman. "He's very skilled, very smart. The height he has the advantage in the post. The guy that got skill in the post game, he's already amazing. It gets much easier for him."

Olajuwon was present for the Knicks game against the Rockets Saturday night, but didn't get to witness Porzingis on the floor as he sat out with back stiffness. But he didn't need to see the 22-year-old to know he has improved his post game drastically this season.

"Everyong can always get stronger," Olajuwon said. "But he's fantastic, always plays with confidence, has a lot of moves, shooting 3s. I think the post gme is most important because of his length. He's so skilled he can do whatever he wants on the floor."

Porzingis' skillset includes a replica of Olajuwon's signature "Dream Shake," which he has displayed a few times. However, he knows he could never perfect the legend's move.

"I've tried the Dream Shake, but I wouldn't say I can do it like him," Porzingis said. "Not close."

The Knicks dropped the matchup to the Rockets, 117-102, and Porzingis will look to return to the Knicks before they face the Trail Blazers on Monday.

tiger0330

Legend
Hall of Fame C Hakeem Olajuwon said he would love to work one-on-one with Knicks star F Kristaps Porzingis to teach him some of his ways.

Olajuwon, who works with his former team -- the Houston Rockets -- as an advisor, already believes Porzingis has the necessary skills to be a star, and that includes his post game.

"I think [he makes it] easy," Olajuwon told The Post's Marc Berman. "He's very skilled, very smart. The height he has the advantage in the post. The guy that got skill in the post game, he's already amazing. It gets much easier for him."

Olajuwon was present for the Knicks game against the Rockets Saturday night, but didn't get to witness Porzingis on the floor as he sat out with back stiffness. But he didn't need to see the 22-year-old to know he has improved his post game drastically this season.

"Everyong can always get stronger," Olajuwon said. "But he's fantastic, always plays with confidence, has a lot of moves, shooting 3s. I think the post gme is most important because of his length. He's so skilled he can do whatever he wants on the floor."

Porzingis' skillset includes a replica of Olajuwon's signature "Dream Shake," which he has displayed a few times. However, he knows he could never perfect the legend's move.

"I've tried the Dream Shake, but I wouldn't say I can do it like him," Porzingis said. "Not close."

The Knicks dropped the matchup to the Rockets, 117-102, and Porzingis will look to return to the Knicks before they face the Trail Blazers on Monday.
I'd love to see it, The Dream and KP. Anything to accelerate his growth as a big man.

Kiyaman

Legend

:agreed: .... Horn is showing how poor minded he is as a head coach in charge of a young-core n veteran roster .. so far Horn has showed poor developing skills toward the young-core players.
After Wednesday outstanding performance from the Knicks starters, the starter unit will need a good practice unit to advance their level of performance.
The Friday n Saturday back to back games would have been the right time to play a rotation of majority bench-players to develop a 2nd unit lineup to use in games and in practice to advance the starter lineup level of performance on offense n defense early in the season.

Kiyaman

Legend
For those who dont know how we lost to the 3-15 ATL Hawks ....

Coach Hornacek played 3 bigmen in the Knicks rotation vs the Hawks ..
The Knicks started the Hawks game playing KP, Quinn, and WHG in the 1st qtr. rotation to take a 39-24 pt lead.
After the first qtr. the Hawks outscored the Knicks in every quarter to win the game.
KP played 37 minutes ..
Quinn played 22 minutes ..
WHG played 19 minutes ..
At first i thought .. Wow! I miss Kanter. But i didnt miss Kanter in the 39-24 first quarter.
Coach Horn ran a weak small-ball rotation like he did the previous tanking season.