201188.png
202683.png

203463.png
1628422.png

201936.png
101127.png

Injury Report

Memphis GrizzliesNew York Knicks
Mike Conley - Left achilles injury (OUT)Tim Hardaway Jr. - Stress injury, lower left leg (OUT)
Wayne Selden Jr. - Right quad (OUT)Kristaps Porzingis - Sprained right ankle & illness (OUT)
Brandan Wright - Right groin (OUT)-

Game Preview

NEW YORK -- The New York Knicks might be about to get back the services of one of their prized possessions on Wednesday night at Madison Square Garden in a matchup with the suddenly spirited Memphis Grizzlies.

However, they got some disappointing news on one of their other top players.

The team announced on Tuesday that star power forward Kristaps Porzingis was probable to return on Wednesday after missing two-plus games with a sprained ankle sustained Nov. 29 in a 115-86 win over the Miami Heat.

Porzingis, New York's leading scorer, has faced myriad back and elbow problems this season, but the Knicks feared the worst after he crumpled to the ground in a heap after colliding with Miami's Justise Winslow while chasing a loose ball.

His return would be a coup for a team also missing its second-leading scorer, shooting guard Tim Hardaway Jr., who remains out with a stress injury in his left leg. Hardaway sat out the past two games, and he will be sidelined at least two weeks.

Dr. Wellington Hsu, a Northwestern University professor of orthopedic surgery, told the New York Post's Marc Berman that injuries like this could sidelined an athlete anywhere from a couple of games to a couple of months.

"Tim was not only a scorer for us, he helped activity, drove to the basket," Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek said. "We're hoping it's not too long."

The return of Porzingis would be crucial against a Memphis team coming off its first win in three weeks, a 95-92 victory over the visiting Timberwolves on Monday. The Grizzlies (8-15) had lost 11 straight before beating Minnesota, a sour stretch that followed a 7-4 start and prompted the firing of former head coach David Fizdale.

Memphis might be close to turning the corner with the recently inspired play of Marc Gasol. The three-time All-Star had been in a scoring slump for more than two weeks before scoring more than 20 in back-to-back games: 27 in a narrow loss at Cleveland and then 21 in the win over Minnesota.

Gasol was inspired by his team's effort in recent games.

"For the last three games (before the Monday victory over the Timberwolves), let's say the last 16 quarters including this one, we played really good for 14 quarters effort-wise," Gasol said. "We really had that mindset of the effort that has to be there. That has got to be the consistent thing."

With Porzingis back in the fold to go along with the recently returned Enes Kanter, who missed three straight games with a back injury, New York's frontcourt may be re-solidified. With Hardaway shelved, however, the Knicks (11-12) have been forced to turn to rookie second-round pick Damyean Dotson, and the results have not been good.

Dotson had just two points in the team's 105-100 home loss to Orlando on Sunday and nine points in a 115-97 loss at Indiana on Monday.

Hardaway's absence has been glaring. Before a mini-slump just before his injury was announced, when he averaged 13 points in three games, Hardaway had scored more than 20 points in four of his previous six games, including a season-high 38 against Toronto on Nov. 22.

"He's a tough kid," Hornacek said. "He had ankle sprains and didn't miss practice. He'd play through those things. It's a good attribute to have in a guy. This could be a wear and tear."

(cbssports.com via STATS)

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks really most missed KP. 4 pts, took a charge and got a block but looks like he didn't get credit for because he kind of grazed it going up but he caused a miss.

Ntilikina needs to be better tonight. Jack with 5 assists in 8 minutes. Can?t have a big drop off between units if we want to compete.

tiger0330

Legend
Ntilikina needs to be better tonight. Jack with 5 assists in 8 minutes. Can’t have a big drop off between units if we want to compete.

I posted something about Lonzo in the NBA thread, some guy wrote about Ball that 80% of the time he comes across the half court line and passes the ball, no real playmaking and if he gets an assist its because a teammate makes a shot. Watch Frank, thats what he does on 80% of his possessions.

I posted something about Lonzo in the NBA thread, some guy wrote about Ball that 80% of the time he comes across the half court line and passes the ball, no real playmaking and if he gets an assist its because a teammate makes a shot. Watch Frank, thats what he does on 80% of his possessions.

I think our offensive in general is just not a good system. Too many lazy shots. Jack deserves credit for still finding a way to be a playmaker. Ntilikina seems like he can make better passes when in transition or when we play uptempo, but we never even seem to try to do that.

Jack finds Lee for a 3-pointer and the game is tied at the half.

The reality is that if we are playing to try to win games now, we need a better backup PG than Ntilikina. I really like his defense, but his offense isn?t even close right now.

tiger0330

Legend
CLee makes a 3 to end the half to tie the game 49-49. Has 12 pts all in the 2nd qtr. KP had a nice start but but tailed off and is 3-11.

tiger0330

Legend
Frank blows a point blank layup with no Grizz player defending him. He has broken the pass the ball as soon as I reach the 3pt line on the last 2 plays though and tried to make plays.

We didn?t close out the quarter well, but still, overall good 3rd quarter and we lead by 9 going into the 4th.

Nice win for us to get back to 0.500. Jack and Lee led the way after a slow start and KP looking like he is getting back on track.

mafra

Legend
This is one of those wins that drive you batty and hurts team in the long run. CLee dropping 24 is nice, only if it creates some trade value. But these wins are like the wins Al Harrington and Larry Hughes and Chris Duhon brought us.... who wants to finish with 33 wins? How does that help improve our future outlook.

Ntikkina scores 8 points even tho he had 8 FT attempts? 3 turnovers to 2 assists? Is the kid getting worse each game?

This kid is clearly not ready to contribute anything on offense. A shame when we have to watch DM light it up every night. I mean, if the kid had any real ?lottery? talent it would show at least 1 time in 82 games.... I wager to guess the kid won?t score 20 points in a game until 2020.

KP still far off from his OCT pace.... McDermott had 5 and Dotson has 0.... at least Kanter had a double-double....

But winning bc Jack and Lee have a rare ?on? night does little to get me excited. I would prefer losing when the kids play well.

It?s nearly Xmas, so I?ve given up hope expecting much from Frank.... and we?re getting to the point where the unicorn is Mr.Oct.... bc he disappears come December.

Just hard to stomach that BOS has Kyrie and Tatum and we have Ntikkina and Dotson. Yikes!

Sure.... I guess a win is nice and we can pretend a little while longer that this team will be competitive this season. But come March, when this team is ten under .500, we shall all bemoan these nutrionless victories.

Tank and get me Bagley!

I still can?t believe we drafted Ntikilina. I?m still not over missing out on Curry and now I?ll have to be pissed for a decade bc we grabbed the wrong guy.... yet again.

Oh well. Dilly-dilly.

Last edited: