202683.png
201577.png

201584.png
203200.png

101127.png
1627739.png

Injury Report

New York KnicksChicago Bulls
Tim Hardaway Jr - Left foot injury (OUT)Nikola Mirotić - Maxillary fractures (QUEST)
-Kay Felder - G League Assignment (NWT)
- Zach LaVine - Left ACL injury (OUT)
-Cameron Payne - Right foot injury (OUT)
-Ryan Arcidiacono - Two-Way/G League (NWT)
-Antonio Blakeney - Two-way/G League (NWT)

Game Preview

CHICAGO -- After 10 consecutive losses, the Chicago Bulls finally found a way to finish off a victory. Whether they can return on short rest to record back-to-back wins for the first time this season now becomes the question.

The Bulls needed overtime to end their lengthy losing streak on Friday when they outlasted the Charlotte Hornets 119-111. Chicago (4-20) returns home to face the New York Knicks Saturday and does so closer to full strength as the Bulls finally got forward Nikola Mirotic back from injury.

Mirotic made his season debut Friday and scored six points on 2-of-7 shooting after missing 23 games with facial fractures and a concussion sustained in a fight in practice with teammate Bobby Portis.

Now, back in the win column for the first time since Nov. 17, the Bulls will attempt to drop the Knicks (12-12) back under .500. New York hasn't played since beating Memphis on Wednesday and faces Chicago in the first of back-to-back games before the Knicks return home Sunday to play Atlanta.

The Bulls continue to get stellar play from rookie Lauri Markkanen, who registered his seventh double-double Friday. Markkanen scored 24 points and grabbed 12 rebounds and connected on critical 3-point field goals at the end of regulation and overtime to finish off the Bulls' victory.

"We've had a couple tough losses lately and to be able to put them behind and pull this one off, it tells a lot about this team," Markkanen said Friday. "Of course, we wanted to go home a little earlier, but we just kept fighting."

Markkanen has been at the center of opponents' game planning, which coach Fred Hoiberg told reporters wasn't the case when the season first started. But after proving himself a valuable scorer over his first 24 games, the secret's out.

"When other teams are putting their game plans together he's number one as far as how they're going to guard him, how they're going to play him," Hoiberg said Friday, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. "He's demanding a lot of attention. It's either switching or blitzing almost every time."

Markkanen is no stranger to the Knicks, who contemplated drafting the Finnish rookie in this year's NBA Draft. Markkanen was selected seventh overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves, who traded him to Chicago as part of the deal for Jimmy Butler.

Ahead of the draft, the Knicks considered Markkanen as speculation grew that they would deal Kristaps Porzingis. Instead, New York stuck with Porzingis, who will play his second game after returning from an ankle sprain Wednesday against the Grizzlies.

Porzingis told reporters this week he was aware that Markkanen was on the Knicks' radar last summer as a possible replacement should Porzingis have been dealt.

"Maybe it was the plan," Porzingis said, according to Newsday. "But I'm happy I'm still here."

As Porzingis prepares for his second game back, the Knicks are still without Tim Hardaway, Jr., who is expected to miss another two weeks with a stress injury in his lower left leg.

With Hardaway still on the mend, Porzingis doesn't expect his ankle to keep him out this weekend against the NBA's two worst teams starting Saturday against the Bulls.

"I definitely want to play," Porzingis said, according to Newsday. "Especially now, I've been out four or five days. I didn't do anything and guys are playing. I'm looking forward to this back-to-back."

(cbssports.com via STATS)

Thanks again, Rady.

Even if you are a bad road team, can?t lose to a 4 - 20 team if you want your fans to take you seriously.

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks again, Rady.

Even if you are a bad road team, can’t lose to a 4 - 20 team if you want your fans to take you seriously.
You got that right htr10, can't get beat by a team that's bad at home and on the road. I watched a couple of Bulls games this season and they've made some changes since the beginning of the season which I think makes them more competitive. Dunn is now the starting PG and a step up from Grant, he's a great on the ball defender. Markannen is starting and while his shooting has been streaky he can light you up, I think KP can take him though on both sides of the ball. Niko is back from that broken jaw. Can't take them for granted esp at the United Center.

and1

Rotation player
KP trying to outplay markkanen, laying bricks. hopefully they straighten this out soon.

mafra

Legend
This is why NYK can?t win on the road.... and why they are 4-4 vs teams below .500....

19-6 CHI.....

KP 2 - 10 from the floor. Announcers calling him out. Even though he is getting doubled team on every play, he is still forcing up shots.

mafra

Legend
Kanter and KP are a combined 3-14... all 5 of the starters look awful.... NO ENERGY. No fight.

At least McDerms and Ntikilina providing some offense.

mafra

Legend
Just as I compliment the rookie for hitting 2 shots.... Frank gives ball to CHI coming out of a timeout. Wow.

CHI basically karate hacks Kanter and yet ref reluctantly blows the whistle.

Knicks basically trail CHi by double digits the entire first half....

But NYK end half in a 7-0 run and trail
By 5.

Ntikkina may reach double digit points tonight. I think he has 8.

We played poorly in the 1st half, but only trail 5. All the Bulls are doing is doubling KP and Kanter when they get the ball, but that was effective for most of the 1st half. Kanter finally figured out how to pass out of the double team late in the 2nd quarter. KP has yet to figure it out.

After all the bagging on him lately, Ntilikina has been our best player tonight. He had 8 points on 3 for 4 shooting from the floor and 3 assists. Ntilikina is +8 while KP, Kanter, and Jack are all -8 or worse.

tiger0330

Legend
We played poorly in the 1st n half, but only trail 5. All the Bulls are doing is doubling KP and Kanter when they get the ball, but that was effective for most of the 1st half. Kanter finally figured out how to pass out of the double team late in the 2nd quarter. KP has yet to figure it out.

After all the bagging on him lately, Ntilikina has been our best player tonight. He had 8 points on 3 for 4 shooting from the floor and 3 assists. Ntilikina is +8 while KP, Kanter, and Jack are all -8 or worse.
Just tuning in but the bench put up 25 pts vs 17 for the starters. I saw the very end of the 2nd qtr and Frank and Jack were on the floor together, has Horn used Frank as the off guard this game?

Just tuning in but the bench put up 25 pts vs 17 for the starters. I saw the very end of the 2nd qtr and Frank and Jack were on the floor together, has Horn used Frank as the off guard this game?

I think the overlap between Jack and Ntilikina was very brief, but yeah, I guess Ntilikina was playing off guard during that time.

Jack finds KP for the driving dunk and Bulls lead is down to 1. No excuses. We should be able to beat these guys now that we have shaken off the bad start.

jimkcchief88

All Star
KP didn?t fake the the funk on that nasty dunk; when I tuned in late 1st quarter Frank was on the floor with Dotson so yep maybe

and1

Rotation player
better defense to start the 2nd half. maybe there was more yelling in the locker room during halftime haha.

and1

Rotation player
it's nice to see the officials around the league are arbitrarily and selectively enforcing the continuation rule. that's very encouraging.