Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Miami Heat 7:00 1/5/2018 [Game #39]

mafra

Legend
DSJ could be a lot like Brandon Jennings. Didn?t he score 50 one time his rookie season? It?s hard to judge a player on a bad team, playing free of pressure, Especially when most teams take a night off when they match up.

DSJ could be Michael Redd or Michael Finley too. Who knows. I think at the minimum Ntikilina is a Charlie Ward type.

Broadway

All Star
I get that. I was more referring to sorting out the stat sheet stuffers into guys who play winning basketball (e.g. Kawhi Leonard) and guys who don’t (e.g. Cousins, Melo). I think I’ve become an over-reductionist in my old age.

Sometimes it's circumstances with players too...like Tobias Harris/Victor Oladipo/D-Russell(pre injury)/J-Lamb/T-Lyles/Hezonja etc etc

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
It seems like like in this guard era there seems to be so many impressive guards, it seems like some are a dime a dozen. High scoring, athletic, etc. Doesn't always work out. I'm interested in Ntilikina's defense and offensive IQ.

tiger0330

Legend
DSJ had 7 turnovers in that game against the Pelicans. His plus/minus was minus 4 in that game which they won by 8. Nowitzki was +17 in that game.

DSJ is top 5 in the NBA in having the highest percentage of his shots that get blocked. His coach called out how Dunn attacked his defense so successfully in that recent Bulls game and DSJ’s response to the media was that he thought he defended well (Dunn had 32 points).

I think you’re going to be surprised at what is going to happen with DSJ’s career trajectory. He is a high usage, low efficiency player.

Ntilikina may never be a star, but he will have a long NBA career because of his defense. As you said, that career may involve eventually playing more off the ball.
I posted that I'm high on Kris Dunn and he might be illustrative of the rookies in general. Came into the league older than these 1 and done rookies but still struggled his first year finding his shot. This year he started on the bench behind Grant but his improved shooting won him the starting PG job, took a year in the NBA and several years at Providence to develop his game to where it is now. I've been very impressed with his defense and his athleticism which is the mainstay of his D unfortunately I don't see similar upside in Frank. I hope I'm wrong and Frank can develop into the kind of all NBA defender I think Dunn can become but right now I don't see it.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks are lucky to grab 19 yr old Ntilikina's length at the point for the. Next few seasons.
The Knicks did not have the right head coach in place when they drafted KP .. nor did the Knicks have the right head coach when they drafted Ntilikina.
The Knicks consistent road losses has more to do with the Knicks coaching plan.

The 2017 draft class may turn out to be the longest class of star players in NBA history .. and 19 yr old Ntilikina will be one of those star players.
The best creative rookie PG that came out the draft in the past 5 years of drafts are Ben Simmons .. before Simmons were Lillard.

Broadway

All Star
I posted that I'm high on Kris Dunn and he might be illustrative of the rookies in general. Came into the league older than these 1 and done rookies but still struggled his first year finding his shot. This year he started on the bench behind Grant but his improved shooting won him the starting PG job, took a year in the NBA and several years at Providence to develop his game to where it is now. I've been very impressed with his defense and his athleticism which is the mainstay of his D unfortunately I don't see similar upside in Frank. I hope I'm wrong and Frank can develop into the kind of all NBA defender I think Dunn can become but right now I don't see it.

I loved the pick when Wolves selected him and thought Thibs would play him over Scrubio but it never happened. Gets traded to a team who gave him the keys and he's fun to watch. Wait until the Bulls get Lavine back.