Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Brooklyn Nets 3:00 1/15/2018 [Game #44]

Broadway

All Star
Well if he reaches Rondo status I?d say believe both of us but the backcourt was posed as a package. Baker leaves little to be desired and until Knits takes over as a starter we need to be very cautious here

Heck it could turn out we?re speaking on someone different playing next to Baker if we head to where I hope we do

tiger0330

Legend
Amen! He’s not for this roster. Who should we chase? Marc Jax?
I bet it's some hotshot asst that Perry knows. Probably someone that's worked with Perry at DET or ORL. Altman has done a good job at CLE so it doesn't have to be a David Griffin type that has a championship on his resume. Mills has a relationship with David Blatt as well and he'd kill to get back to the NBA.

Mark Jax, he's got to be on some kind of black list with all the jobs that were open since he left GS and he's still doing announcing. JVG is my guy but he probably wants front office control like Thibs and his brother have, he won't get that in NY. I also like David Fizdale and Monty Williams.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
On a Pelicans board I go to they weren't big on Monty Williams as a coach. They're rarely ever happy though.

I've read or heard that Jackson relied a lot on iso-ball. I don't know if that's true.

Broadway

All Star
On a Pelicans board I go to they weren't big on Monty Williams as a coach. They're rarely ever happy though.

I've read or heard that Jackson relied a lot on iso-ball. I don't know if that's true.

Last time Pelicans were in the playoffs Monty was their coach and he didn't have Cousins on that squad. Then again maybe Pelicans are on to something about standards

Kiyaman

Legend
Last time Pelicans were in the playoffs Monty was their coach and he didn't have Cousins on that squad. Then again maybe Pelicans are on to something about standards

The Pelicans should have kept coach Monty they would be playing .600 b.ball having Monty n Cousins .. Monty turned out to be a great big man coach when he developed AD for the playoffs.

I like Burke' s motivation on offense n defense .. Lee n Jack's playing time minutes should be decrease to give Burke minutes the remainder of the season. Burke remind me of a late Starks.

Head coach Hornacek has finally played a decent 12 Man rotation this season .. Knicks held the lead throughout the game to beat Brooklyn .. Great WIN on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. DAY !!!

The lineup of Nitty Mcderm Beasley Quinn does not need Lee in the lineup .. Tim Hardaway Jr. belong in lineup.

Kiyaman

Legend
Beautiful feed to MB on the break by Knits. KP block and this game is over...

Knits with one of his best games of the season.... Maybe Burke?s arrival sparked something....

Again, the only possible way NYK was losing this game was resting KP. A responsible organization looking towards the future would?ve rested KP. We all know his play recently warranted such a rest. These types of wins remove the Westbrook and Curry type prospects from your grasp, and you end up selecting Hill and Sweetney type bums.

I believe the Knicks would have won this game without KP n THJ .. KP played a great game bc he committed 4 fouls playing good defense plus KP received less than 30 minute of playingtime at end of back to back .. I'm not Tired !!!

There are to many good NBA teams in the West n East that are TANKING for a lottery pick this season .. SAD!
The Knicks will have to settle for a 15th to 17th pick in the 2018 draft .. while developing KEEPER players throughout midseason .. maybe make one or two moves on the trading deadline .. And start looking early for a Mark Jackson type head coach for next season !!!

dk7th

Benchwarmer
Yuck that backcourt is doing nothing great going forward. I appreciate their efforts but only one may qualify as starter material

With the talent dilution in the NBA it's hard to put an above-average to great player at every position. Too many teams. So players who are well-rounded and impact the game in ways that don't show up on the nightly stat sheet are still going to be valued by GMs and coaches. A lot of people like to hate on and goof on Baker but I see a guy who almost always is a net positive when he is on the court because the defense is better and the ball moves better on offense too.

According to ESPN RPM he is ranked 6th on defense for shooting guards off the bench and 22nd on offense. So clearly, given the Knicks record right now, he is certainly not part of the problem and looks more and more like part of the solution. Only thing holding him back is his outside shooting, and I think we all still expect that to come. Some collegians who were great college shooters need a couple of seasons to adjust their shots.

So yeah, I'll take a Ron Baker/Frank Ntlikina backcourt during the rebuild. And at the end of the day it's not who starts it's how many minutes and when.

Broadway

All Star
With the talent dilution in the NBA it's hard to put an above-average to great player at every position. Too many teams. So players who are well-rounded and impact the game in ways that don't show up on the nightly stat sheet are still going to be valued by GMs and coaches. A lot of people like to hate on and goof on Baker but I see a guy who almost always is a net positive when he is on the court because the defense is better and the ball moves better on offense too.

According to ESPN RPM he is ranked 6th on defense for shooting guards off the bench and 22nd on offense. So clearly, given the Knicks record right now, he is certainly not part of the problem and looks more and more like part of the solution. Only thing holding him back is his outside shooting, and I think we all still expect that to come. Some collegians who were great college shooters need a couple of seasons to adjust their shots.

So yeah, I'll take a Ron Baker/Frank Ntlikina backcourt during the rebuild. And at the end of the day it's not who starts it's how many minutes and when.

I agree in terms of modern era basketball and how the landscape of competition is shaped across league with the welcoming of expansion but this has been going on for quite a while now and the league has finally leveled off. The league may be missing some Top Tiers(fading) coming in, in recent yrs but 1-12 there is plenty talent in this league and Knicks have less of it, plain and simple.

We can look at any cute ESPN/Elias Sports metric for any middling to lower tier talent and make them appear larger than life, really it can be done for any player for the matter.

Baker is possibly in the mold of...Rozier/Wright/Delly/Berrea/Joseph/Grant/Mills/Ish/Moore/Shabazz/Dinwiddie/Johnson/Mcconnell(remember how he lit us up at the Garden)/Jones(remember he recently outplayed Knits the other night)

Every team has such a guy if not "collectively" more talented than Baker so please STOP IT!...I know you're smarter than this. If we trade Baker tomorrow 1 we won't get much back for him if anything and 2 we wouldn't bat an eye he's no longer here

Beating a bad Brooklyn team again in what was essentially a home game, doesn't change anything at present except making up a game in the race for 9th possibly 8th

Broadway

All Star
The Pelicans should have kept coach Monty they would be playing .600 b.ball having Monty n Cousins .. Monty turned out to be a great big man coach when he developed AD for the playoffs.

I like Burke' s motivation on offense n defense .. Lee n Jack's playing time minutes should be decrease to give Burke minutes the remainder of the season. Burke remind me of a late Starks.

Head coach Hornacek has finally played a decent 12 Man rotation this season .. Knicks held the lead throughout the game to beat Brooklyn .. Great WIN on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. DAY !!!

The lineup of Nitty Mcderm Beasley Quinn does not need Lee in the lineup .. Tim Hardaway Jr. belong in lineup.

Not sure a 12 man rotation is practical but I know someone who's not liking what he's doing with it