Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Toronto Raptors 7:30 2/8/2018 [Game #55]

mafra

Legend
Plus, Mudiay and Knits makes for a solid defensive backcourt. They should have all next season to audition for the future.

Mudiay only 21... he should be a senior in college! Larry Brown likes the trade.

I actually think Mudiay and Knits is our back court of the future. I think THJR is going to become a 6th man because he plays exactly like one, especially if we dump Lee. I think Doncic or Porter are our draft targets.

Mudiay is a better PG for now who has the ability to score(in particular double digits)...a difference in shooting and scoring. Trust we're going to give him a look as a starter.

You can?t have a starting backcourt that can?t shoot. One of these 2 guys has to develop a consistent outside shot. THJ has been a mess with his outside shooting too. We also don?t have a good slasher at wing. Beasley is better as a stretch 4. Yeah, if we get Doncic or Porter, maybe a coach better than Hornacek can make it work. I don?t know.

Paul1355

All Star
We still can?t defend the 3 and once again CJ Miles torched us..he?s a classic knick killer. He shot us out of the game.

I loved what I saw out of kornet. I?d like to see more out of Nigel Hayes and see him be more aggressive offensively and not get bullied in the paint. He?s a big athletic PF.
I want to see jacks minutes go down once Mudiay is on the bench.

I want to see less of lance frigin Thomas and more of a small ball lineup of 2 pgs and Lee or hardaway at the 3 with Beasley and Hayes at 4 and oquinn/kornett getting minutes at the 5 behind kanter..I even like oquinn being the backup 4 and kornet as the 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiger0330

Legend
We still can’t defend the 3 and once again CJ Miles torched us..he’s a classic knick killer. He shot us out of the game.
P
I loved what I saw out of kornet. I’d like to see more out of Nigel Hayes and see him be more aggressive offensively and not get bullied in the paint. He’s a big athletic PF.
I want to see jacks minutes go down once Mudiay is on the bench.

I want to see less of lance frigin Thomas and more of a small ball lineup of 2 pgs and Lee or hardaway at the 3 with Beasley and Hayes at 4 and oquinn/kornett getting minutes at the 5 behind kanter..I even like oquinn being the backup 4 and kornet as the 5

You mean Isiah Hicks. Speaking of Hayes Lakers had him in for a look on a 10 day and didn't renew it, he's back in Westchester.

jimkcchief88

All Star
To be honest I?m totally disgusted with the Knicks right now. Are the courtside seats going to be half price because we are starting G-leaguers? Nope. I ignored Mizzou hoops for 3 years while they were winning single digit games per season and I?m giving the Knicks the same treatment. I have played and watched too much basketball in my life to be entertained by crap. You guys can debate garbage players, picks, and coaching until the cows come home. I am back on the Harden/ROX bandwagon and Melo/Westbrook Thunder bandwagon until further notice. Knicks fans need to do what Chiefs fans did a couple years ago before Andy Reid and have protest. Chiefs fans had a ?blackout? and bought a plane and flew banners over the stadium to bring change. Dolan isn?t a fan. He is a businessman who only understands and cares about his bottom line. His treatment of Oak illustrates that he would rather have someone arrested than listen to criticism. As long as butts are in the seats buying $10 popcorn and $20 beers he?s happy. Knicks fans need to stop showing up to games and stop buying merch. Porzingis jerseys are half-price and dropping. I bought my wife a Knicks sweatsuit for Xmas and I?m sorry i did. But I am not buying anymore Knicks crap or supporting this team until they figure it out. I don?t want to hear about ?tank? and ?lottery picks.? Because anyone with half a brain knows we will draft the next overhyped Euro donut project with ?potential.? Add that pick to list: Weiss, Gallinari, Porzingis, Frank...who did I miss????

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
To be honest I’m totally disgusted with the Knicks right now. Are the courtside seats going to be half price because we are starting G-leaguers? Nope. I ignored Mizzou hoops for 3 years while they were winning single digit games per season and I’m giving the Knicks the same treatment. I have played and watched too much basketball in my life to be entertained by crap. You guys can debate garbage players, picks, and coaching until the cows come home. I am back on the Harden/ROX bandwagon and Melo/Westbrook Thunder bandwagon until further notice. Knicks fans need to do what Chiefs fans did a couple years ago before Andy Reid and have protest. Chiefs fans had a “blackout” and bought a plane and flew banners over the stadium to bring change. Dolan isn’t a fan. He is a business who only understands and cares about his bottom line. His treatment of Oak illustrates that he would rather have someone arrested than listen to criticism. As long as butts are in the seats buying $10 popcorn and $20 beers he’s happy. Knicks fans need to stop showing up to games and stop buying merch. Porzingis jerseys are half-price and dropping. I bought my wife a Knicks sweatsuit for Xmas and I’m sorry i did. But I am not buying anymore Knicks crap or supporting this team until they figure it out. I don’t want to hear about “tank” and “lottery picks.” Because anyone with half a brain knows we will draft the next overhyped Euro donut project with “potential.” Add that pick to list: Weiss, Gallinari, Porzingis, Frank...who did I miss????

I get the frustration, we're all there but it's not like Melo and the gang are burning down the doors themselves. They've gotten waxed by Young Talent/G-Leaguers twice in the past couple weeks by the Lakers. They've lost 5 of their last 6, this being his most inefficient yr of his career, barely a 5th seed, and only 5gms above .500.

While they are better than the Knicks would you not agree, they haven't lived up to lofty expectations?

Anyway the only way Knicks get out of this mess is rebuild properly...and I guess the good thing is we've been forced to do so against our will/from lack of planning

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
If Bruce Bowen could work his shot, becoming one of the NBA top 3-point shooters, then we can hope Mudiay and Knits develop some range.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Yeah but building a basketball team ain?t like baking a cake just mix...a team has to gel...I think OKC will be a tough out come the playoffs...so much so Paul Goerge might stay...But anyway the key to your post is ?properly rebuild.? When have these fools ever done that???? I?ve been a Knicks fan since 91?. They haven?t won a Chip since the year I was born. Neither have my Chiefs but at most years they are competitive or else they know Chiefs fans will watch the games from home on Sundays. But Knicks fans show up like hogs to the slaughter. I get it...it?s an event and a bragging point in the city. ? I got courtside Knicks tix eat your heart out....? And then you sit on your cell postings snaps to all your friends instead of the hot garbage on the court.

Broadway

All Star
If Bruce Bowen could work his shot, becoming one of the NBA top 3-point shooters, then we can hope Mudiay and Knits develop some range.

It would make sense at least offensively/familiarity to play Burke/THJR together and defensively/physically Mudiay/Knits together. One may say why not mismatch them, well none are good enough to compensate for what the other lacks so might as well play to the strength(which is what I suggested to start the season).

I'm kind of excited now, because we got another young prospect and it's forcing the hand of Hornacek to actually develop players. If he can't he needs to be fired, we're only getting younger

mafra

Legend
I agree. With the KP injury there should be no more delusions. The only purpose of the remaining 25 games should be to play the kids and see what we have.

Mudiay, Ntikikina, Burke, Timmy, Dotson, KOQ, Kanter, Kornet, Hicks.

This should be our 9-man rotation.

Don?t sign anybody in the offseason unless they?re under 27. Consider keeping Beasley for 1 more season....

If Horn distributes minutes like he did in TOR then he should be fired. No excuses playing Jack and Lee so much. Heck, we already know what KOQ and LT are... so even they should see a reduction.

Play small ball some, with Mudiay, Knits, Timmy, Burle and Kornet together and enjoy it.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
?The legend begins. Cool Hand Luke checked in late in the first quarter for his NBA debut, and immediately showed he belonged. The lanky 7-footer from Vanderbilt scored 11 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and blocked 4 shots. Kornet did what Kornet do, namely hitting the three-ball. He shot 3-7 from downtown, making him the first player in NBA history to sink 3 triples and block 4 shots in his NBA debut. He was also the first Knick to record a double-double in his debut since John Wallace.?

Broadway

All Star
We know Perry can be very forked tongue but I hope these words hold true

He also states the trades is not an indication Knicks are down on Knits, which they shouldn't be. The demand from both should be at an all time high. It's not like the draft isn't setup to produce talent to replace them this summer. It's time to end this drought of a franchise being devoid of a legit point guard

jimkcchief88

All Star
It would make sense at least offensively/familiarity to play Burke/THJR together and defensively/physically Mudiay/Knits together. One may say why not mismatch them, well none are good enough to compensate for what the other lacks so might as well play to the strength(which is what I suggested to start the season).

I'm kind of excited now, because we got another young prospect and it's forcing the hand of Hornacek to actually develop players. If he can't he needs to be fired, we're only getting younger

See you are buying the bill of goods the Knicks front office is selling. Younger=Better. Well if that?s the case than let?s redress St Johns or Syracuse into Knick uniforms and the Championahip is ours right??? Wrong because our front office has NO EYE for talent. How do we know this???? Because we passed on Dennis Smith JR and Donovan Mitchell for a French ?project? whose name none of us can pronounce. It?s going to pain me watching the dunk contest and thinking what could have been. But our dumbass front office doesn?t know Knicks history: Don?t draft French pastries(Fredric Weiss).😡

mafra

Legend
TORONTO ? Jared Jeffries, the former Nuggets scouting director and ex-Knicks forward, told The Post that Emmanuel Mudiay desperately needed out of Denver before his entire career was shot.

Denver had moved on with their 2016 first-rounder, Jamal Murray, and Mudiay, 21, was regressing.

Jeffries, who helped draft Mudiay with the seventh pick in 2015, commended the Knicks for getting him on the cheap ? the worse of their two 2018 second-rounders and slumping Doug McDermott.

?I know how tough it was for [general manager] Tim [Connelly] and [owner] Josh [Kroenke] to let him go,?? Jeffries told The Post in a phone interview. ?They did the right thing for the kid. They could?ve held on to him to the point of no return and ruin his career. It?s really good the Knicks trusted what they believed at draft time and got him for a discount. If he?s on top of the world and playing great, you?re not going to get him for that.?

Jeffries, who left the Nuggets last summer to be top executive for Rick Fox?s sports video game empire, Echo Fox, disputes the big knock on Mudiay that he?s a poor outside shooter.

Playing in 43 of the Nuggets? 54 games, Mudiay averaged 8.5 points, but shot just 40 percent overall and 37.3 percent from 3-point range. He?s a career 37.5 percent shooter from the field.

?He?s not a bad shooter ? he?s a bad finisher,?? Jeffries said. ?That?s why his field-goal percentage is a big focus. If he becomes a better finisher ? something very possible ? his whole game transforms. Take out his layups, he?s not a bad shooter. If he?d finish at a 60 percent clip, he?d be 48 [percent] from the floor.?

Indeed, Mudiay is fourth-worst in the league in field goal percentage on layups (45 percent). Mudiay also happens to be a good free-throw shooter (80 percent this season).

As The Post reported Wednesday, the Knicks sought Orlando?s Elfrid Payton as they looked for a big penetrating point guard who can dish to complement Kristaps Porzingis.

?He?s big and gets to the rim,?? Jeffries said of Mudiay. ?But the best finishers in the league ? Tony Parker, Kyrie Irving ? are over-the-top finishers with a softness to their shot and they shoot with their hands under the ball. Scoop, rolling layups are difficult and easier to get altered or blocked. Maybe he didn?t work at it enough at a young age because he didn?t go to college.??

Mudiay played an injury-shortened season in China after eligibility issues stemming from the now-defunct Prime Prep, a Deion Sanders-funded school in Dallas, likely would have prevented him from ever playing at his preferred college choice (SMU). He was something of a risk when he entered the draft. Former Knicks president Phil Jackson and his top adviser Clarence Gaines, still a team scout, were concerned about his triangle fit.

The Nuggets went all-in with Mudiay, even though he declined to work out for them.

?His agent thought he?d go higher,?? Jeffries said. ?We found out in the morning the Knicks were going with Porzingis, so we were doing extra work that day on him.?

In and out of the rotation, Mudiay?s distaste for his situation, according to Denver insiders, led to his refusal to talk to the local media this season. A fresh start is needed, says Jeffries.

?He?s at the point now, he?s got to turn the corner and be more confident,?? Jeffries said. ?If he can do that, he?ll transform his game. Murray is 20 and if he keeps playing this way, Denver is going in that direction and there?s not much for Mudiay.

?It?s a fresh start, a new beginning and the kid attacks that stuff with aggression when he has focus. There?s only 48 minutes in a game and it?s hard to just play Mudiay 13 (minutes) in his third year and expect him to find the rhythm to improve. He?s not a rookie or second-year player.?

https://nypost.com/2018/02/09/the-shot-that-can-take-knicks-emmanuel-mudiay-to-next-level/

jimkcchief88

All Star
Wow funny a dude that big is a bad finisher around the rim. Instead of softness around the rim how about just putting down the hammer😳

tiger0330

Legend
We know Perry can be very forked tongue but I hope these words hold true

He also states the trades is not an indication Knicks are down on Knits, which they shouldn't be. The demand from both should be at an all time high. It's not like the draft isn't setup to produce talent to replace them this summer. It's time to end this drought of a franchise being devoid of a legit point guard
What would you expect Perry to say about Ntilikina, that PJ drafted him and I wouldn't have. Make no mistake Perry has his doubts about the kid otherwise he wouldn't have brought in 2 new PGs.

jimkcchief88

All Star
What would you expect Perry to say about Ntilikina, that PJ drafted him and I wouldn't have. Make no mistake Perry has his doubts about the kid otherwise he wouldn't have brought in 2 new PGs.

Exactly. Frank seems like a nice kid but Fail-Jax screwed us on his way out the door. Question is: why was Fail-Jax allowed to make a lottery pick on his way out the door🤔

Broadway

All Star

Yeah hence me saying Perry is "forked tongued"...I'm hopeful he'll give these 2 guys a chance to play as the lead guard and also together but will not be shocked if we see otherwise. Not a Perry Fan at all but he could be better than Phil

jimkcchief88

All Star

Yeah hence me saying Perry is "forked tongued"...I'm hopeful he'll give these 2 guys a chance to play as the lead guard and also together but will not be shocked if we see otherwise. Not a Perry Fan at all but he could be better than Phil

Couldn?t be worse

Paul1355

All Star
You mean Isiah Hicks. Speaking of Hayes Lakers had him in for a look on a 10 day and didn't renew it, he's back in Westchester.

Yes Hicks lol...it would be nice to have both guys. This should be open tryouts for our g league roster.

Kornett, Burke, dotson, Hicks, Ntilikina, Mudiay, and Hayes eventually should all get consistent minutes from now on..jack and Thomas? minutes need to be basically non existent