Tim Hardaway Jr needs to be a 6th man

Paul1355

All Star
I want everyone to know that before you realize why Hardaway is a bench player, it?s important to acknowledge his strengths:

1) Hardaway is an asteroid when hot. Simply put, Hardaway can score 30+ any night he has a hot hand. He is capable of leading a team for a quarter stretch and making the lead ballon to 20. He is on the level of Jamal Crawford and JR Smith with the amount of heat they get with their shooting touch. Those comparisons will now be explained further.

2) The best comparisons for hardaway are that of the likes of Jamal Crawford and JR Smith. These comparisons are best on a style of play as well as the role in which a type of player flourishes. Jamal Crawford was a lethal scorer on the Knicks at one point. He becomes a sixth man and wins the award multiple times as a clipper if I recall. JR Smith goes to a championship caliber team and becomes an instrumental piece in the rotation, wining a ring against golden state. When these player are starters, your team isn?t winning much. When these players are your sixth men, then you have a lethal weapon in your arsenal.

The Truth :

3) Hardaway has simply sucked as of late. He has sucked so bad that his numbers are eerily reminiscent of his 2nd season with the Knicks that saw a promising rookie hit an epic wall. Hardaway needs control, for he giveth and he taketh away as Clyde says. Without control he becomes erratic with poor shot selection. His defense has always been poor and lately he has defended nothing but air. He deserves a bench because he is one of our worst players statistically. His free throw percentage has dropped 12 points since 2015-2016 season. His efficient field goal percentage is almost identical with his numbers from his second season which now stands at 47%. He?s shooting a 40% fg, which is his worst since his second season. He is also shooting a paltry 30% from three point land, despite shooting it eight times last game. JR Smith has broken records for the good and the bad. Smith, like hardaway, has mental lapses that hurt a team. On the floor it results in the erratic style of play, and bad decisions overall. From shooting a large amount of poor outside shots, to wasting his career high in minutes at 32 per game. Meanwhile, Trey Burke had 4 minutes last game. The coach needs to make changes and hardaway becoming a sixth man will only help this team and save this player. Let?s not forget, Hardaway had to go to the former D league to wake up and play well, primarily as a sixth man on the Hawks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I think that?s the best case for NY, is if Mudiay and Knits earn the starting G spots. Timmy becomes that 6th man....

tiger0330

Legend
We"re not paying him $71M to be a 6th man. He was brought here to be the number 2 option. He's going to snap out of this slump but this is the second one this season, we neef him to be more consistent, he should be shooting less 3s and penetrating for layups and floaters to generate points and FTs.

Kiyaman

Legend
Tim Hardaway Jr did nothing sensational on the Knicks nor Hawks to earn a starter spot .. Tim's first two games performance back from injury were a big red-flag to decrease THJ playingtime minute to half of 30 min.

THJ has been performing like a one dimensional scorer shooting 24% fg .. game after game after game = TANKING !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
We"re not paying him $71M to be a 6th man. He was brought here to be the number 2 option. He's going to snap out of this slump but this is the second one this season, we neef him to be more consistent, he should be shooting less 3s and penetrating for layups and floaters to generate points and FTs.

Doesn't THJ performance remind u of JRSmith consistent 3-13 nights ???

tiger0330

Legend
Doesn't THJ performance remind u of JRSmith consistent 3-13 nights ???
Say what you will about JR but he's virtually tied with Dirk for 11th on the all time 3pt shooting list. JR by the time he's done should be one of the top 10 3 pt shooters of all time. Hardaway wishes he has a career like JR.

Say what you will about JR but he's virtually tied with Dirk for 11th on the all time 3pt shooting list. JR by the time he's done should be one of the top 10 3 pt shooters of all time. Hardaway wishes he has a career like JR.

I always liked JR. His best season was when he averaged 18 ppg with the Knicks on over 40% FG shooting. That?s probably the ceiling for THJ unless he transforms his offensive game somehow.

THJ is a threat to the tank for the rest of this season. His shooting percentages are significantly down across the board this season. Watch him get hot in the last 10 games or so and win us a couple games against other tanking teams. We play Dallas, Chicago, and Charlotte twice in that final 10 game stretch.

Kiyaman

Legend
I always liked JR. His best season was when he averaged 18 ppg with the Knicks on over 40% FG shooting. That?s probably the ceiling for THJ unless he transforms his offensive game somehow.

THJ is a threat to the tank for the rest of this season. His shooting percentages are significantly down across the board this season. Watch him get hot in the last 10 games or so and win us a couple games against other tanking teams. We play Dallas, Chicago, and Charlotte twice in that final 10 game stretch.

THJ does not belong on the court with another SG in the lineup .. Lee n THJ are strictly SG without any athletic talent to perform as a SF on offense or defense.

THJ talents would have been best suited to come off the bench as a 6th man to give the rotation scoring depth off the bench.
The Knicks 2nd unit should've been a all bench lineup of .... "Frank/THJ/Mcderm/WHG/Quinn"
The above 2nd unit lineup should've received 8 straight minutes of playingtime in each game from the start of the season to build a co-existing bench lineup to have as a dependable reserve lineup for injuries and back to back games.

From the 3 straight losses at the start of the season .. the Knicks starter lineup of Sessions Lee THJ KP Kanter needed fixing .. PG Session were not the reason for the 3 miserable losses .. it was the non-existent defense in the 2nd half of each 3 games we lost our huge lead in the 2nd half of the game .. plus Horn should have immediately replace THJ in the starter line for SF Beasley to be the starter. Doing this would 've put THJ in his natural position at SG plus letting THJ become the Knicks scoring 6th man off the bench.

Paul1355

All Star
THJ does not belong on the court with another SG in the lineup .. Lee n THJ are strictly SG without any athletic talent to perform as a SF on offense or defense.

THJ talents would have been best suited to come off the bench as a 6th man to give the rotation scoring depth off the bench.
The Knicks 2nd unit should've been a all bench lineup of .... "Frank/THJ/Mcderm/WHG/Quinn"
The above 2nd unit lineup should've received 8 straight minutes of playingtime in each game from the start of the season to build a co-existing bench lineup to have as a dependable reserve lineup for injuries and back to back games.

From the 3 straight losses at the start of the season .. the Knicks starter lineup of Sessions Lee THJ KP Kanter needed fixing .. PG Session were not the reason for the 3 miserable losses .. it was the non-existent defense in the 2nd half of each 3 games we lost our huge lead in the 2nd half of the game .. plus Horn should have immediately replace THJ in the starter line for SF Beasley to be the starter. Doing this would 've put THJ in his natural position at SG plus letting THJ become the Knicks scoring 6th man off the bench.

Agreed. Beasley was playing extremely well in the beginning of the year and only averaged under 20 minutes. Having Lee as the sg and Beasley as the sf with hardaway as 6th man would have been the most effective way. But I guess when you pay a guy 17 mil he ?needs? to start. This doesn?t allow us to use players to their best suited role. Players are out of position and leading when they can?t handle the responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk7th

Benchwarmer
i agree ... he needs to be a 6th man..... on another team.....

I think this is Mills gaffe-- I don't think he's made many but this one feels like a big mistake. This may cause a rift between him and Scott Perry, who signed on as GM a week after Mills made the Hardaway deal.