Game Thread: Washington Wizards @ New York Knicks - 2/14/18

LOL. Just spent the last 30 minutes on the phone getting a refund from the florist for my wife?s Valentine?s Day flowers that were never delivered. I wish that I can say that I am surprised we managed to blow that huge lead in less than 1 quarter.

mafra

Legend
Thankfully I missed the third quarter.... somehow, NYK go from a sure-thing 20+ point win to now they?re losing going into 4th.

Kiyaman

Legend
At halftime I thought this would be the game thread i dont mention Hornacek and Tanking in the same sentence.

Mudiay's 3rd game performance show he has a lot of work to do on his scoring-game throughout the offseason

Kiyaman

Legend
Yeah, THJ?s line for the game is still great, but not a good 3rd quarter.

Yeah .. we have to send THJ down to the G.League first thing in the morning .. outstanding first half but slump slump tanking performance in the 2nd half of the game = G.league material

mafra

Legend
114-110 and NYK has ball, but Timmy basically hands ball to WAS.... 116-110.

Amazing how consistently NYK flop down the stretch of games. Going on 20 years.... you?d figure a Ndour putback game winner would occur, even accidentally, more than once a calendar year.

mafra

Legend
Jack and Lee play 30 minutes each... most of the kids sit (Knits plays 10 minutes).

lol. This is 2008 all over again. And, we see where that philosophy got this team the last 10 years.

Have no assets (check)
Play aged vets heavy minutes (check)
Don?t develop anybody under 30 (check)
Have no game plan (check)
Avoid thinking long-term (check)

Largest lead lost for NYK since 1991-1992 season.

I despise Hornacek. We blow a 27-point lead and lose.
Burke, Kornet, Hicks, and Dotson all play zero minutes.
Ntilikina plays only 10 minutes, hitting both his shots and getting 2 steals, although he managed to be -8, the worst on the team, in those 10 minutes.
Mudiay plays 20 minutes and has more turnovers (4) than assists (3) plus shoots only 3 for 9 from the floor including 0 for 2 from 3-point range.
Someone check Michael Beasley's ID and make sure he isn't Melo in disguise. Beasley plays 40 minutes and shoots 8 for 24.

Last edited:
On the bright side, Kanter was a beast again tonight, putting up 24 points on 9 for 15 shooting, 14 boards, and 5 assists. Still not sure Kanter's market value at this point. Is his 18.6 million player option high enough for him to opt in or does he test the market for a long-term deal?

I'd love to say THJ was a bright spot too, but he shot 12 for 14 in the 1st half and 2 for 10 in the 2nd half. We all saw how far that got us.

Loss #36 for the season with 23 games to play after the All-Star break. Right this second we are now tied for the 8th most losses in the NBA, however we'll go back to 9th most losses in the NBA after Chicago finishes losing tonight. We are in the mix though for a top pick. The most losses any team has is 41 (Atlanta).

mafra

Legend
Have to give Horn credit for his halftime adjustments. Lead went from 21 to 6 in 6 minutes after the break. Just like that... 27 point second quarter lead is down to 6 with half the third quarter and all of the 4th remaining.

mafra

Legend
?But hey, let?s bask in the spoils of a first half victory, and bathe in the cleansing waters of being one loss closer to Luka Doncic. It?s kinda like getting a gratifying win and a much-needed loss all packaged in one!?

tiger0330

Legend
Jack and Lee play 30 minutes each... most of the kids sit (Knits plays 10 minutes).

lol. This is 2008 all over again. And, we see where that philosophy got this team the last 10 years.

Have no assets (check)
Play aged vets heavy minutes (check)
Don’t develop anybody under 30 (check)
Have no game plan (check)
Avoid thinking long-term (check)

Largest lead lost for NYK since 1991-1992 season.
Post ASG Horn better play the kids. They can't do much worse than an 8 game losing streak.

mafra

Legend
Horn was asked about lack of playing time for kids.... his answer:

?Knits hasn?t had to guard a guy like Jody Meeks, whose been running around coming off screens for years. It wasn?t a good matchup for Frank, so we went with Lee and guys who?ve seen that before.?

Oh my....

1) I thought defense was his strength.

ANd

2) if the rookie hasn?t seen something, isn?t now a good time to expose him? Let him learn from experience and mistakes?

I guess it?s better to shelter the kid only to watch him make these mistakes down the road.

That has to be the lamest and dumbest reply I?ve ever heard uttered by a coach in a post game presser.

Horn was asked about lack of playing time for kids.... his answer:

?Knits hasn?t had to guard a guy like Jody Meeks, whose been running around coming off screens for years. It wasn?t a good matchup for Frank, so we went with Lee and guys who?ve seen that before.?

Oh my....

1) I thought defense was his strength.

ANd

2) if the rookie hasn?t seen something, isn?t now a good time to expose him? Let him learn from experience and mistakes?

I guess it?s better to shelter the kid only to watch him make these mistakes down the road.

That has to be the lamest and dumbest reply I?ve ever heard uttered by a coach in a post game presser.

Jody Meeks only played 13 minutes tonight. Hornacek can?t even make up good lies.