The Frank Ntilikina Thread

Kiyaman

Legend
Adam Morrison won 2 rings. What does that prove??

Ariza played a 30 minute role to get his first ring .. now Ariza playing a 33 minute role to get his 2nd ring.
Stop thinking Harden and CP3 could do it without Capela and Ariza .. Or Curry Klay and Durant could do it without Green.
They CAN'T !!!

tiger0330

Legend
Not sure what Bernard King is talking about but watching the playoffs and seeing these great PG's they all have the ability to break down a defense with their dribble penetration, sorry I don't see that in Frank yet and maybe never. Looks to me his role is destined to be a 3&D combo guard and Mudiay and Trey may have scored some early points in the battle to become the Knicks PG by attending the Knicks presser, Fiz acknowledging them at it :). He's back in France eating croissants and drinking cafe au lait but he better get back to the States and get to work to make points with our new coach.
Frank is back in NY for the rest of the off-season and according to this he will be attending a workout with Trey and Mudiay today. Also, he's been doing strength training in France with one of the Knicks trainers. Watching that Warriors/Rox game yesterday Fiz needs to get these guys in prime condition to have them run like the Dubs run. We need more ball movement both passing and off the ball movement like cutting and weaving, that alone I think could win you a few close games in a season.

“The French Prince’’ has arrived in New York.
Knicks point guard Frank Ntilikina’s unofficial start to his second NBA season begins Monday when he huddles for the first time with new coach David Fizdale at the team’s Tarrytown facility, according to an NBA source.
Ntilikina, 19, flew in from France on Sunday after spending the past 5 ? weeks in his homeland. According to an NBA source, Fizdale will conduct his first informal workout with players Monday as the Knicks three young point guards — Ntilikina, Emmanuel Mudiay and Trey Burke — will be on hand.
Also on hand will be Damyean Dotson, their 2017 second-round pick, and Troy Williams, who played for Fizdale in Memphis.
Fizdale texted Ntilikina after getting the job earlier this month, but they have never met. The Knicks coach has said repeatedly establishing “great relationships’’ with his new players is his top goal this summer.
Knicks management didn’t believe the ousted coaching tag team of Jeff Hornacek/Kurt Rambis went the extra mile with their players.
Ntilikina, who lives in Strasbourg, France, has spent the past few weeks concentrating on strength and conditioning, working out a lot at Paris’ premier basketball academy, INSEP. Knicks officials are happy Ntilikina has put on muscle and weight. Management dispatched trainer Anthony Goenaga to France to work with him.
Now Ntilikina, selected eighth in the 2017 draft, is in the U.S. for good and will play in the Las Vegas summer league in July.

Last spring, Ntilikina didn’t do any pre-draft workouts because of the French League playoffs as he helped guide Strasbourg to the finals. He arrived in New York the day before the draft and only met with Knicks president Phil Jackson, then GM Steve Mills and Hornacek. Immediately after the draft, Ntilkina flew back to France to finish the series.
When he returned, Ntilikina’s sore left knee from the playoff grind prevented him from playing summer league. All those factors, Knicks officials believe, probably affected a rookie year in which he excelled defensively but struggled on the offensive end.
Ntilikina, who turns 20 on July 28, finished his rookie year averaging 5.9 points while shooting 36.4 percent (31.8 percent from 3). At his introductory press conference, Fizdale said he wanted to “get my hands on [Ntilikina] and start working with him and start seeing him with fresh eyes.”

The Knicks haven’t ruled out taking a point guard at No. 9 but it is unlikely unless Trae Young, once touted as the No. 1 pick, falls.
“It would only make sense if you feel that guard is far and away better than what you have on the roster,’’ Perry said in Chicago at the draft combine. “And we haven’t been able to make that determination yet.”

https://nypost.com/2018/05/20/frank-ntilikina-ready-to-prove-his-worth-to-new-knicks-coach/

Kiyaman

Legend
I like the sound "The French Prince?? has arrived in New York.
It's a much better sound than the three injury-prone lottery seasons of the so-call hyped-up Knicks future star KP "I'm Tired !!!"
I'm glad the Knicks foolish coaches did not put the 19 yr old rookie Frank in the starting lineup.
Truth be told .. KP still does not have all the tools to be a starter or finisher in the NBA.

Im looking forward to seeing how well Frank/Burke/Troy/Dotson/and our 9th draft pick (hopefully SF or PF) compete in the Summer Games in Vegas.

mafra

Legend
Still way too early. I posted something in another thread that had a stat that showed Knits is already a very good defender (who can guard PG-SG-SF)... not like he?s a bust/bum. We?ll see how he develops.

I knew John Collins had game. Good for him. This list does show you value of 2:1 trade down.

Anyway, PHI is the biggest loser of the bunch. They passed on Tatum for Fultz.
A bunch of teams passed on DM.

tiger0330

Legend
That one vote he got was probably a mistake. Notice Tatum was not a unanimous choice only getting 99 votes, the guy probably forgot his glasses and checked off the wrong box on his ballot. ��

The year he had was underwhelming so he didn't deserve to make 1st or 2nd team.

Broadway

All Star
That one vote he got was probably a mistake. Notice Tatum was not a unanimous choice only getting 99 votes, the guy probably forgot his glasses and checked off the wrong box on his ballot. ��

The year he had was underwhelming so he didn't deserve to make 1st or 2nd team.

I made an observation on Twitter the 1 missing vote may have been intentional and given to Josh Jackson(lol)...although anonymous as to who it was.

Agree on Frank, I probably wouldn't have put him on a 3rd Team

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Fitz is thinking outside the box and showing he?s truly a player?s coach. This is what Perry and Mills we?re looking for. We?ll see if this helps the kids develop.

tiger0330

Legend
Fitz is thinking outside the box and showing he’s truly a player’s coach. This is what Perry and Mills we’re looking for. We’ll see if this helps the kids develop.
Taking Mudiay and Dotson also. I hope he has seats, the last time I saw Perry and Mills standing by the tunnel and that was a regular season game.

tiger0330

Legend
Nits putting in the work with trainer Chris Brinkley. Looks like he's been working on that one handed dunk, he did it about 4 times in this video, remember I said I didn't think he could dunk one handed last season but he only had a handful of dunks all last season all of the 2 handed variety. His size still makes me think he's going to be a SG but if he could play PG the Knicks would have a pretty big BC.

He also had some nice things to say about Fiz, that he's a coach that's going to make them better. Glad Horn is gone, didn't think Nits developed fast enough under him in his rookie season. I think Fiz would have pushed him harder, looking to see how our draft pick this year is handled by Fiz.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjdbFMYhsT9/

Last edited:
Nits putting in the work with trainer Chris Brinkley. Looks like he's been working on that one handed dunk, he did it about 4 times in this video, remember I said I didn't think he could dunk one handed last season but he only had a handful of dunks all last season all of the 2 handed variety. His size still makes me think he's going to be a SG but if he could play PG the Knicks would have a pretty big BC.

He also had some nice things to say about Fiz, that he's a coach that's going to make them better. Glad Horn is gone, didn't think Nits developed fast enough under him in his rookie season. I think Fiz would have pushed him harder, looking to see how our draft pick this year is handled by Fiz.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjdbFMYhsT9/

Not going to lie, I soured on Ntilikina at the end of this last season, but I?m ready to get back on his hype train. He seems to have the work ethic and maturity to do what needs to be done. He has undeniable physical assets for a guard. If he can be our starting 2 guard, awesome. If he can be our starting PG, then even better.

tiger0330

Legend
Not going to lie, I soured on Ntilikina at the end of this last season, but I’m ready to get back on his hype train. He seems to have the work ethic and maturity to do what needs to be done. He has undeniable physical assets for a guard. If he can be our starting 2 guard, awesome. If he can be our starting PG, then even better.
I saw glimpses last season. Pro handle on occasion, soft touch on his jumper, his defense, mafra said he's athletic just not a super athlete like DM or DSJ and I agree, he fits the mold of how the league is going with the switch heavy defenses, I mentioned in a Celts game thread get 2-3 guys big enough and athletic enough to guard 1-4 and you have a chance to be an elite defensive team. I was worried when he first came out during the ASG that he was going back to France for the off-season but he correctly changed his mind and came back to the states. He reports to the Knicks facility at 9am according to the NY Post and is training with a former Knicks development coach Chris Brickley. I don't think he could have gotten that kind of structure in France, plus a lot of the G League and Knicks players train at the Knicks facility as well so there's opportunities to play pickup games as well in Westchester.

mafra

Legend
This is certainly a good sign, and this attitude and work ethic is part of the attraction why we selected him. The vision was what Knits could be like by 24.

For what it?s worth, Frank has grown a full inch since season ended.

?I?ve added some weight and muscle,? Ntilikina told The Post on Friday in a phone interview. ?I spent a lot of time working on my body in France. I?m getting better and more comfortable with my skills and body. I had the chance to maximize my time and work on my body, which I didn?t have time to do during the season.?

There?s talk Ntilikina, the Knicks? 2017 lottery pick, has grown at least an inch since the start of his rookie season. In fact, there?s a chance Ntilikina, who turns 20 in October, will be bumped to 6-foot-6 ? from 6-5 ? in next season?s media guide.

?I may still be growing,? Ntilikina said.

Ntilikina also is working out again with former Knicks developmental coach Chris Brickley at Carmelo Anthony?s gym in Manhattan. The increased strength may help make Ntilikina an even more adept defender than he was as a rookie.

?Frank?s entire demeanor has been different since he has been back,? Brickley told The Post. ?He has a confident swagger now that he didn?t have last season. I think when he went home, it allowed him to take a step back and analyze his weaknesses.?

Moreover, the Knicks hope Ntilikina?s new power will make him a more dangerous penetrator. That concern over Ntilikina?s ability to get to the basket prompted Knicks brass to trade for Emmanuel Mudiay at February?s deadline. Now there are rumblings around the NBA the Knicks will take point guard Trae Young at No. 9 if he falls in the draft.

(Berman - Post)

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
In the 729 possessions that Ntilikina and Porzingis shared the court in 2017-18, the Knicks posted a defensive rating in the 97th percentile and an opponent eFG% in the 99th percentile. In other words: New York has played legitimately elite defense when the two have been on the floor together.

Furthermore, Porzingis ranked No. 1 in the NBA in opponent field goal percentage at the rim and Ntilikina was No. 1 in points allowed per pick and roll possession.

Kiyaman

Legend
It's great Frank Knits are putting in off-season work-out with Knicks staff n teammates to improve his all-around 2-Way performance for his 2nd season in the NBA. I only wish the Knicks had some decent 2-Way veteran guards on the team to work-out alongside Knits throughout the summer.
Horn's foolishness of not putting rookie Frank Knits in lineups tandem along side PG-Sessions, then PG-Jack at the start of the season first 20 games showed very poor developing skills as a headcoach toward a rookie PG .. Session performance could have used a long defensive combo-guard Frank Knits pass-first performance in the lineup with him to keep ball-movement flowing. And Jack needed a defensive combo-guard Baker in the lineup with him to setup bigmen KP and Kanter.
Horn did nothing bout helping C.Lee and Timmy's poor defensive performance as guards and poor offensive performance as wings that only look out for them selves in a lineup, because both C.Lee n Timmy rarely move without the ball because they have problems catching the ball while moving, plus ball movement stops once either of the two vet SG receive the ball, neither Lee nor Timmy showed any improvement when they were force to play multi-position.

Coach Fiz will need veteran PG-Jarrett Jack to come back next season to demonstrate for all five of our young-minded guards starting with the over-paid shoot-first ISO-Timmy who desperately need to work on ball movement with teammates all summer, then have Jack work several plays with Dotson inside/outside scoring game, help Mudiay establish a better IQ on teammates location to score before 12 second on the shot clock, plus help Burke and Frank Knits setup pick n rolls with Kanter, then KP, then Quinn .. hopefully Perry find a team to trade C.Lee and Lance in the offseason.

Interesting blurb that I just read online saying that Donovan Mitchell recently referred to Ntilikina as his ?best friend? in the NBA.