The Frank Ntilikina Thread

tiger0330

Legend
Lets keep track of our lottery pick and see if he improves his mid-season numbers of 5.2 pts and 3.2 dimes in the remaining 23 games. He's been given ample opportunity to display his talent playing 20 mpg in 56 games in our second unit but so far has had a lackluster rookie season, He should be getting more playing time after the break and maybe a different role as a SG along side Mudiay and his minutes should go up as well for the remainder of the season.

One interesting development that I think is significant is the report that Nits will return to France for the summer to develop his game and will not participate in the Vegas Summer League. htr10 said he thought there was something going on between Hornacek or the Knicks front office and him not staying in the US to improve his game in his rookie season when he surely needs it may be an indication of some problem between him and the Knicks. Maybe he's pissed they brought in 2 guys to compete with him for the PG position, or he isn't impressed with the Knicks coaching staff. But I do know that he can improve faster in the US than he can in France with more opportunity to play with NBA players here in the US over the summer. The Knicks are now forced to scramble and may send over a developmental coach to France to oversee his development in the summer when they would obviously prefer him staying in Westchester and working out at the Westchester facility.

Season Average

SeasonAgeTmLgPosGGSMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%eFG%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
2017-1819NYKNBAPG56020.12.05.7.3530.61.8.3371.44.0.360.4050.60.9.6940.31.72.03.20.90.21.92.35.2

Per 36 minutes

SeasonAgeTmLgPosGGSMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
2017-1819NYKNBAPG56011253.610.2.3531.13.1.3372.67.1.3601.11.6.6940.63.03.65.71.70.33.34.29.4

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to admit defeat on Ntilkina. As Broadway has said repeatedly, no team has mismanaged young talent in recent years worse than Orlando and now we have their guy Perry teamed with our ineffective Mills and the league's worst coach in Hornacek.

With Perry still in house, lottery pick Hezonja's career in Orlando was turning into a complete bust. This season, with Perry gone, Hezonja has finally started to get his chance and had 3 straight 20+ point scoring games before the All-Star break on over 50% FG shooting.

tiger0330

Legend
The Daily News Bondy grade of C for the kid. I think that's a fair grade for his play but I would give an F to the Knicks for selecting him at 8, a stretch at 8 for someone who is not athletically gifted, very young and basically a project that will need years of developing.

[FONT=&quot]There have been flashes of strong potential — particularly earlier in the season — but Ntilikina's January slump has called into question whether he's still the point guard of the future. The Knicks may have doubts as well considering they recently brought in two young point guards — Trey Burke and Emmanuel Mudiay. We thought Ntilikina would be starting by now.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grade: C[/FONT]

The Daily News Bondy grade of C for the kid. I think that's a fair grade for his play but I would give an F to the Knicks for selecting him at 8, a stretch at 8 for someone who is not athletically gifted, very young and basically a project that will need years of developing.

[FONT=&quot]There have been flashes of strong potential — particularly earlier in the season — but Ntilikina's January slump has called into question whether he's still the point guard of the future. The Knicks may have doubts as well considering they recently brought in two young point guards — Trey Burke and Emmanuel Mudiay. We thought Ntilikina would be starting by now.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grade: C[/FONT]

Everyone should get an F for passing on Donovan Mitchell except for the Celtics who fleeced the Sixers and still got Tatum.

CoolClyde

i have faith in Frank. his defense is very good. he has a sweet outside shot. he's shown flashes of brilliance getting to the rim and finishing, when he kicks in the aggressiveness. and his passing is first rate when he's not turning the ball over for no apparent reason. all his shortcomings can be worked on and improved. especially becoming more aggressive in the paint, shooting rather than passing in the paint, and catching up to the speed of the NBA game. which will come with more minutes and familiarity with his opponents AND his teammates.

the flashes of brilliance can certainly come with greater frequency the more he plays, grows and fills out. another thing Frank has going for him, other than defensive smarts, is an overall high bball IQ, and a great attitude towards learning, adapting and improving.

I would urge Knicks fans to have patience with this project, he is a special player. of course I would rather have Donovan Mitchell at this point in time, but that's me being a monday morning quarterback, that kid is special. who knew?

pat

Starter
I would urge Knicks fans to have patience with this project, he is a special player. of course I would rather have Donovan Mitchell at this point in time, but that's me being a monday morning quarterback, that kid is special. who knew?

Good luck with that.

tiger0330

Legend
i have faith in Frank. his defense is very good. he has a sweet outside shot. he's shown flashes of brilliance getting to the rim and finishing, when he kicks in the aggressiveness. and his passing is first rate when he's not turning the ball over for no apparent reason. all his shortcomings can be worked on and improved. especially becoming more aggressive in the paint, shooting rather than passing in the paint, and catching up to the speed of the NBA game. which will come with more minutes and familiarity with his opponents AND his teammates.

the flashes of brilliance can certainly come with greater frequency the more he plays, grows and fills out. another thing Frank has going for him, other than defensive smarts, is an overall high bball IQ, and a great attitude towards learning, adapting and improving.

DM is a special player, Nits I fear isn't. Coming off a so so season and being constantly quoted predicting he's going to improve and help the team why is he going back to France when he can improve faster here in the US, why is he missing Summer League again after missing the last one because of injury. I question his motivation because someone who is behind the learning curve like he is should be making sacrifices like being homesick to improve his game.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Just watched ESPN profile on Donavan Mitchell. In addition to the highlights I didn?t realize DM has more 30 point games than the rest of the NBA rookies combined including Kuzma and Simmons. Now you guys say Frank is headed home to France for the summer??? Great. A lot of good that did KP last summer. My grade is an F for Frank. First you will always be measure against your draft contemporaries esp. at the same position PG. The fact not only is Frank not starting, but we are bringing in other PG to fill spot we didn?t address in the draft. Why was Fail-Jax allowed to make this pick???? I wish to be patient like CC is preaching, but the fact is we blew the pick. As we are used to saying around here: blow it up, start over🤢

tiger0330

Legend
I've been on Donovan since early Dec when they played the Bucks and I made this video where 3 Bucks including the Freak couldn't stop him from penetrating the lane for a layup.

Last edited:

pat

Starter
Coming off a so so season and being constantly quoted predicting he's going to improve and help the team why is he going back to France when he can improve faster here in the US, why is he missing Summer League again after missing the last one because of injury.

I wouldn't say so. Dirk in his prime went home every summer to add something to the arsenal with his mad professor. Same goes for Tony Parker and quite frankly, every overseas players. Filling up the tank (emotionally as well) is a good thing. Not just a few NBA careers have be shortended by depression. Spending time with your family during the summer is something reasonable to do for a 19yo player. Have faith in the kid.

tiger0330

Legend
I wouldn't say so. Dirk in his prime went home every summer to add something to the arsenal with his mad professor. Same goes for Tony Parker and quite frankly, every overseas players. Filling up the tank (emotionally as well) is a good thing. Not just a few NBA careers have be shortended by depression. Spending time with your family during the summer is something reasonable to do for a 19yo player. Have faith in the kid.
When a guy is established like Dirk, Parker, Ginoboli they can go home in the off-season but I would bet these guys spent at least 1 or 2 off-seasons their rookie or 2nd years training in the US. KP spent his first season here, Nits can at least come over for Summer League which they reported he wasn't going to do.

mafra

Legend
Let?s remember, Brandon Jennings averaged 15.5 and 5.7 assists per game his rookie year (and shot the 3 at a higher % than Mitchell).

DM has a 3.5/2.6 assist to turnover ratio. He?s playing 32 minutes a night and hoisting 17 shots a game. Oh, he?s also the top scoring option for Utah... so he has that green light.

DM is a great story, but he?s not Stevie Frances yet.

The Knicks felt Knits was the more pure PG, when comparing DSJ, DM and FN. They liked the fact he was bigger and the more gifted defensive player.

Still way too early to evaluate this draft... what happens when Frank matures and becomes aggressive? What happens when miles accumulate on DM?s smaller frame? What if DSJ or DM were here, playing 16 minutes and being told to differ to KP?

If we didn?t take Knits, than DSJ was the option. Mitchell was on our radar, but it was hard to justify taking DM over DSJ.

I give Knits a solid C-.

Not good but not awful. He just passed but not barely....

The key is: who improves from here... and by how much?

Broadway

All Star
Let’s remember, Brandon Jennings averaged 15.5 and 5.7 assists per game his rookie year (and shot the 3 at a higher % than Mitchell).

DM has a 3.5/2.6 assist to turnover ratio. He’s playing 32 minutes a night and hoisting 17 shots a game. Oh, he’s also the top scoring option for Utah... so he has that green light.

DM is a great story, but he’s not Stevie Frances yet.

The Knicks felt Knits was the more pure PG, when comparing DSJ, DM and FN. They liked the fact he was bigger and the more gifted defensive player.

Still way too early to evaluate this draft... what happens when Frank matures and becomes aggressive? What happens when miles accumulate on DM’s smaller frame? What if DSJ or DM were here, playing 16 minutes and being told to differ to KP?

If we didn’t take Knits, than DSJ was the option. Mitchell was on our radar, but it was hard to justify taking DM over DSJ.

I give Knits a solid C-.

Not good but not awful. He just passed but not barely....

The key is: who improves from here... and by how much?

I think the pick is a D at best because we still don't know how he fits on our team.

Begley is currently reporting Mudiay is running with the Starters in practice replacing Jack. We know since Mudiay is under contract for another yr, this will if for nothing else slow the process of development. If Knits slides to the 2 it in essence makes the THJR signing that much more awful and if he's a backup...WELL

The pick complicates our situation. Heck we could've had Kuzma(just because he wasn't on the minds of many) he has performed considerably better than Knits as have a few others picked after like Kennard/Collins/Allen/Bam/Hart/Brooks.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I think the pick is a D at best because we still don't know how he fits on our team.

Begley is currently reporting Mudiay is running with the Starters in practice replacing Jack. We know since Mudiay is under contract for another yr, this will if for nothing slow the process of development. If Knits slides to the 2 it in essence makes the THJR signing that much more awful and if he's a backup...WELL

The pick complicates our situation. Heck we could've had Kuzma(just because he wasn't on the minds of many) he has performed considerably better than Knits as have a few others picked after like Kennard/Collins/Allen/Bam/Hart/Brooks.

A player improving his game is not "static" to our team it applies across the league dynamically thus those who show and are given the opportunity to do so will prove such results. As good a yr DM is having, he's going to improve himself. Unless Knits is given the keys to do whatever he pleases he's going to be behind the 8ball more than likely for the duration of his rookie contract.

I mean we have Mudiay on our team as an example of how this could go for Knits(hopefully not). If I had to take the best probable outcome with negative side affects then hopefully he and Mudiay become out backcourt of the future. I could care less about THJR's lot at this point.

tiger0330

Legend
Nits can't shoot but maybe taking the responsibility of running a team from him at pg will allow him to concentrate on shooting and he improves his shooting over the next 23. Also needs to be more aggressive taking it to the basket and more active off the ball ie more motion w /o the ball and more backdoor cuts. I want to see at least 3 layup attempts per game as the 2 guard and guard the best player on the other teams back court.

Broadway

All Star
I saw in this thread Knits may go back home during the summer. Knicks need to make it mandatory they both workout together in the offseason. I'd prefer in the states but since they both aren't from here originally I'd be okay with it offshore as long as they are together.

Kiyaman

Legend
Nice on/off thread bout Frank Knits ..
So far I grade Frank .. B-minus
Before anyone call out Frank Knits performance / stats having to play spot-minute in the coach 100 different lineup a game .. remember .... the knicks veteran players n coach were not going to let a 19 yr old come in n call the shots on offense!
Plus remember .. The Knicks has the top-3 worst coaching-staff in the NBA!
There's very little movement without the ball in Hornacek offense .. there's rarely any passing to moving players in Hornacek offense .. and Hornacek's defense has stunk for practically 2 seasons.

Those who are comparing rookie performance / stats need to understand the 2017 draft class has over 12 future all-star players.
Donovan Mitchell or Dennis Smith Jr. would not have gave Hornacek a better record than the Knicks have now during all star break.

I recall the predicament the knicks were in last year this time from having so many losses .... I also recall on draft night our 30 shots per game Iso-Melo refuse to sign the NTC in his contract.
Knicks selecting DSJ offense to replace Rose offense was not a bright idea after a no defense knicks season.

We all knew what we were getting when we selected Frank Knits defensive strength / length.
There's nothing wrong when a 19 yr old want to go home for the summer.
If Perry/Mills higher a new head coach before the 2018 draft night .. I'm sure Frank Knits will attend the Knicks summer league games.

Broadway

All Star
Drafting Knits and giving a B- grade is definitely grading on a curve and giving this a homeristic edge...sorry it's not a B-. Now if he shows some giddy up last 25gms or so and clearly stands out it may get close to this grade but as of today no way is it anywhere near a B

Drafting Knits and giving a B- grade is definitely grading on a curve and giving this a homeristic edge...sorry it's not a B-. Now if he shows some giddy up last 25gms or so and clearly stands out it may get close to this grade but as of today no way is it anywhere near a B

I think Kiya is giving Ntilikina a B- grade as a young prospect so far and giving the Knicks an F as an organization for how they have handled him.