The Frank Ntilikina Thread

mafra

Legend
Frank Ntilikina, back in U.S. to assist with Donovan Mitchell's youth basketball camp, focused on improving his offense with Knicks

S. Bondy (NY Daily News)

GREENWICH, Conn. ? Frank Ntilikina was drafted five spots ahead of Donovan Mitchell, but almost a year later it?s the Knicks point guard who is looking up to a local-bred rising superstar.

?Oh it was unbelievable,? Ntilikina told the Daily News about Mitchell?s remarkable rookie season with the Jazz. ?Seeing a good friend play the way he was playing, seeing him carry his team like that, it was great feeling for me and all of his friends. He motivates me to do great things.?

Asked whether he envisions himself playing to Mitchell?s level of last season ? which included an impressive run to the Western Conference semifinals ? Ntilikina added, ?Yes. ?Even further.?

Beyond being competitors and motivators, Ntilikina, 19, and Mitchell, 21, are also good buddies. In fact, Ntilikina made an appearance Sunday at Mitchell?s basketball camp in Greenwich, Conn., where the Jazz guard called Ntilikina his best friend in the NBA.

It seems an unlikely relationship since Ntilikina just arrived to the U.S. for the first time less than a year ago, but they apparently hit it off during the draft process and are both represented by Creative Artists Agency. After Ntilikina was taken eighth ninth overall by the Knicks, Mitchell said he talked the Frenchman through some of the adjustments of living in New York.

Mitchell grew up just a few miles from the Knicks practice facility near Westchester and played his AAU ball in Manhattan. His father, Donovan Sr., works for the Mets as the director of player relations.

Sunday?s co-ed camp was held in Mitchell?s old elementary ? Greenwich Country Day School ? and featured 5-on-5 games refereed by the Rookie of the Year candidate. Ntilikina assisted Mitchell during the lesson portion, lending his expertise on the Euro-step, among other things.

The camp was organized by Mitchell?s mother, Nicole, a preschool teacher at Greenwich Country Day School.

?My biggest thing was, after the end of the season was to have a camp, back here at G.C.S., they did so much for me as a child,? Mitchell told The News. ?They helped my mom out, they helped my sister (Jordan) when she went here. I just wanted to give back. That?s all I love doing is giving back to kids, and just having a good time and allowing them to enjoy themselves.

?Right now it?s just here, things will hopefully change throughout my years in the NBA, god willing, just finding ways to continue to give back to the community, to give my advice to kids about my story, because my story is unique and not like everybody else?s.?

Mitchell played two years under Rick Pitino at Louisville and was among the guards the Knicks contemplated drafting before they settled on Ntilikina. He quickly turned into the steal of the draft ? almost collectively lauded as the top player of the 2017 class ? while averaging over 20 points in 79 games.

Ntilikina, meanwhile, proved to be more of a project while coming off the bench. He demonstrated great potential as a defender but struggled on the offensive end. After spending much of the offseason in France, Ntilikina returned to New York and has been working with new coach David Fizdale at the practice facility. He said Sunday that the focus has been on ?offensive skills.?

?Things that help me get comfortable on the court, offensively,? Ntilikina added. ?I think defensively I?ve done a great job last year and I have to keep doing it. The main part next year is going to be offensively.?

(For more details on Donovan Mitchell?s camp, go to www.myway45.com).

tiger0330

Legend
I saw htr10 post saying Nits was DM best friend and I was wondering how that could be with Nits from France and not playing over here except in the NBA, this article explains it. I wonder if DM is back in the area for the summer, I couldn't think of a better guy for Frank to be practicing with than DM.

Broadway

All Star
Knits looks about the same as he did last yr in these videos, slow and not finishing with power and very casual going to the rim. His perimeter shot looks fluid though(which appeared to be the strongest suit of his game besides defense in spurts last yr).

Of course not the worst thing in the world, he's in a open gym performing premeditated moves. Appears he's working on the repetition side of the game, so he'll do things instinctively when on the court.

Could care less he and Mitchell are friends I mean how much did we hear about Melo and Lebron being best of buds or cool and all the good relationships Melo had across the league over his career...good for the two of them but in the grand scheme of things major cornball stuff here

Last edited:
Knits looks about the same as he did last yr in these videos, slow and not finishing with power and very casual going to the rim. His perimeter shot looks fluid though(which appeared to be the strongest suit of his game besides defense in spurts last yr).

Of course not the worst thing in the world, he's in a open gym performing premeditated moves. Appears he's working on the repetition side of the game, so he'll do things instinctively when on the court.

Could care less he and Mitchell are friends I mean how much did we hear about Melo and Lebron being best of buds or cool and all the good relationships Melo had across the league over his career...good for the two of them but in the grand scheme of things major cornball stuff here

It?s just a surprising thing to read. Not meant to be discussed for basketball ramifications.

As far as the Melo side of things, I think he did have a lot of friends in the league, but in his case, the ones who wanted to win championships knew they couldn?t do it paired with his style of basketball.

tiger0330

Legend

Never saw him dunk one handed before and while I saw glimpses of a pro handle last season from him that was a criticism of him and it looks to be an area he's improved. Not lacking in confidence about the upcoming season either when asked if he could do what DM did last season he replied "Yes, even further". We will see, you're rightly skeptical after all it's only a couple of months since the season ended and all this work is just him and the basketball, we'll see in summer league his real progress. One season under his belt and 3 months of training he should dominate in summer league. Fiz needs to feature him so he has the opportunity to win the MVP. I think Fiz may coach that team as well even though the duties of the summer league coach usually are delegated to an assistant.

tiger0330

Legend
Dotson putting in the work, flying out to LA for a pickup game and flying back to Westchester for workout in Westchester.

Broadway

All Star
Never saw him dunk one handed before and while I saw glimpses of a pro handle last season from him that was a criticism of him and it looks to be an area he's improved. Not lacking in confidence about the upcoming season either when asked if he could do what DM did last season he replied "Yes, even further". We will see, you're rightly skeptical after all it's only a couple of months since the season ended and all this work is just him and the basketball, we'll see in summer league his real progress. One season under his belt and 3 months of training he should dominate in summer league. Fiz needs to feature him so he has the opportunity to win the MVP. I think Fiz may coach that team as well even though the duties of the summer league coach usually are delegated to an assistant.

Wouldn't mind the likes of Ivey along with others handling those summer coaching duties, while Fitz continues working on relationship building. especially if he's going overseas to spend time with #kporzee

tiger0330

Legend
Dotson putting in the work, flying out to LA for a pickup game and flying back to Westchester for workout in Westchester.

Frank looks smoother than Dotson handling the ball and Frank would never bite on that pump fake like the guy did guarding Dotson.

mafra

Legend
Travis takes special notice of the Knicks to watch his former mate, Ntilikina. Travis and Ntilikina were part of Strasbourg?s club that advanced to the French League Finals last June, but the 19-year-old point guard sometimes looked lost as a Knicks rookie and averaged 5.9 points on 36.4 percent shooting.

?Once he gets confidence and believes in himself like everyone else believes in him, he?ll be fine,? Travis said. ?Once he gets working on stuff, he?ll get better and I see it on his videos being in the gym a lot.

?When he plays against guys his age [in France national team age-group events], he?s aggressive and dominant, scoring 30. When he plays up, he gets in a shell and doesn?t want to upset people and make the wrong play. He wants to be the ultimate team guy. Sometimes being the ultimate team guy is to take that shot.?

mafra

Legend
Knicks coach David Fizdale wants Frank Ntilikina to be more aggressive offensively, adding, "He?s such an unselfish kid."

"It?s going to be a process with him of constantly emphasizing aggression and always be in ?go? mode," Fizdale said. "Don?t be concerned as much about taking care of everybody ... his aggression will draw defenders." The Knicks' point guard spot is quite thin, and even if they bolster the position Ntilikina should easily exceed the 21.9 minutes he averaged last season. Fantasy owners just have to hope he improves his percentages (36.4% FGs and 72.1% FTs).

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Nitty will always be a pass-first player, but he has to take it himself when they leave it open for him. He doesn't need to be a great scorer...he just needs to be able to make defenses respect him enough not to leave him wide-open or play too far off him

I think he'll get there eventually. European teams/players respect seniority a lot more so odds are he's never been given a green light until now

mafra

Legend
Heard on NBA radio yesterday this quote (or something like it)... talking about Trae... ?He?s gonna struggle his rookie year. Of course he will. No teenage PG steps on the court and does well his rookie year. The league is too tough and there?s too much asked for from a PG.?

We have to remember this, when we evaluate Knits. The kid did post some pretty elite defensive stats... that?s a good sign/start.

They talked about Mitchell?s success, and they went on to say that he wasn?t really a PG. they said he stepped into the perfect situation... a defensive team ready to win. All they were missing was what they had lost that offseason... they needed offfense... after losIng GH. Basically, Jazz were Ok with him filling that void, even if inefficiently.

DM averaged 33 mpg, taking almost 18 shots a contest. But... only had 3.7 assists.

Knits played 22 mpg and averaged 3.2 assist.

So, as prolific a scorer DM was his rookie campaign, and playing with much better talent, Knits still was the better ?facilitator? (in terms of getting his teammates buckets).

I think Knits is on the right trajectory... people just need to be patient.

?Being younger, it was something I had,? Ntilikina said. ?I was just not as aggressive [with the Knicks] as I was before,? the 6-5 Ntilikina said. ?Actually, it feels good to have it back in the game. I will keep on working on that because I know, with my size against little guards, it will help me a lot.?

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I don't want to take anything away from Mitchell as I think he's a talented player and a great scorer. But what else is there to his game? He's not a great outside shooter (34% from 3's isn't bad but it's also not great) and he's also not a particularly great defender. Let's also not forget that he's two years older than Frank is. While I do think Mitchell can score the basketball very well, I'm not sure how valuable he is long-term. He strikes me as the type of player who will put up a lot of points but ultimately won't do much to help his team win against superior competition. He got by the Thunder because Westbrook is also that type of player

Broadway

All Star
I don't want to take anything away from Mitchell as I think he's a talented player and a great scorer. But what else is there to his game? He's not a great outside shooter (34% from 3's isn't bad but it's also not great) and he's also not a particularly great defender. Let's also not forget that he's two years older than Frank is. While I do think Mitchell can score the basketball very well, I'm not sure how valuable he is long-term. He strikes me as the type of player who will put up a lot of points but ultimately won't do much to help his team win against superior competition. He got by the Thunder because Westbrook is also that type of player

Knits couldn't even kick out Summer League full throttle 2yrs straight yrs now gthoh with Mitchell isn't all that great talk. Okay make sure you come to the same conclusion if Knox delivers a similar season. DM is a bad boy and will get better, now they could take a step back this yr because the West is just that deep but denying the type of talent he is, is foolishness

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
For Frank to defend at the level he is at 19 years old is just amazing. Even to play with the composure he often showed, calming the team down.
Yes, he has the measurements, but we all know measurements are just a part of the argument. He certainly has a defensive motor.
He has said numerous times, he LOVES to defend. It is going to take him time to change and adjust his (offensive) game, but it is happening. Don't confuse his lack of drive on offense with motor, it is more his game (though he did take over in the Euro championships.)
Anyone watch his new moves (e.g. jump turn around near the basket) in summer league?
We all want young guys with upside to come in and tear it up, but generally, that is just not possible.
We finally have what looks like a Nucleus. We do need another lottery pick and to strike it big in FA, but we are in the best position we have been in since... a long time.
I am really looking forward to Frank this year. Hopefully, Frank and the rest of the young guys, are going to get to play a lot.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article...european-championship-scouting-analysis-5821/
https://youtu.be/_tThNgnt50E
https://youtu.be/ePpaA81xQYQ

Kiyaman

Legend

I like Mitchell rookie success .. but to many people overlooked the Utah Jazz season success came from the return of center Gobert who grabbed the DPOY award with no problem. The Utah Jazz coach Quin Snyder trio chemistry between 2 double-double big-men Gobert/Favors, and Mitchell athletic speed paid off great in the regular season and postseason games.
The reason Utah Jazz beat the Westbrook Thunders were the Jazz DEFENSE outwitted the Thunder in the 2nd half of the games .. plus Melo did his career usual of being a no-show in the postseason games.

I only wish the Knicks were able to keep their Big-Men happy to want to stay and play as a Knicks, this way we would see some chemistry and ball-movement like Ewing/Oak/Starks/Ward. It would be nice to see Frank average 3 dimes just from hitting Kanter in the paint each game in the upcoming season.

mafra

Legend
Frank Ntilikina has added 10-15 pounds to his frame this offseason.

Coach David Fizdale was asked about his position, but said he envisions using him all over the floor. "You know I?m not going to give [Frank] a position. You have multiple players that can dribble, play, shoot," Fizdale said. "Why put him in a box? We know he can guard 1-4, he's extremely elite." We know The Frenchise is going to get a ton of minutes in his second season, so he's a name to monitor in the preseason to see if his offense has started to catch up to his elite defense.

tiger0330

Legend
Nits is on the right track. Mills said he grew 1.5 inches and gained 10-15 lbs of muscle and walks around the practice facility without his shirt showing off those muscles. :)
I've also seen a better handle, better than Dotson or Baker along with that court vision and passing skills he came to the Knicks with. Not sure if he's ready or able to be a starting PG in this league yet but he can be a better SG than Dotson or Baker and a competent backup PG imo. I'm expecting him to make great strides in his game this season, I expect a more aggressive Nits right out of the gate and with those D skills he should beat Mudiay for a job in the Knicks rotation.

Kiyaman

Legend
Nits is on the right track. Mills said he grew 1.5 inches and gained 10-15 lbs of muscle and walks around the practice facility without his shirt showing off those muscles. :)
I've also seen a better handle, better than Dotson or Baker along with that court vision and passing skills he came to the Knicks with. Not sure if he's ready or able to be a starting PG in this league yet but he can be a better SG than Dotson or Baker and a competent backup PG imo. I'm expecting him to make great strides in his game this season, I expect a more aggressive Nits right out of the gate and with those D skills he should beat Mudiay for a job in the Knicks rotation.

Every video clip of Frank Knix summer-workout i seen .. It looks like the Knicks has another young future star on the roster.
I believe Frank's 2nd season will be very explosive .. especially if we see a lot of "Frank & Trey" in the back-court throughout the season.
I also believe the back-court of Frank & Trey if they get off to a good start at the start of the regular season .. the Knicks will have a 35+ win season having a healthy rotation of .. Kanter, Noah, Vonleh, Robinson, Hezonja, Knox, THJ, Lee, Trey, Frank ..