Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Fitz is thinking outside the box and showing he’s truly a player’s coach. This is what Perry and Mills we’re looking for. We’ll see if this helps the kids develop.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    Fitz is thinking outside the box and showing he’s truly a player’s coach. This is what Perry and Mills we’re looking for. We’ll see if this helps the kids develop.
    Taking Mudiay and Dotson also. I hope he has seats, the last time I saw Perry and Mills standing by the tunnel and that was a regular season game.

12th man

Fiz and his kids at game 5.

12th man

Nits putting in the work with trainer Chris Brinkley. Looks like he's been working on that one handed dunk, he did it about 4 times in this video, remember I said I didn't think he could dunk one handed last season but he only had a handful of dunks all last season all of the 2 handed variety. His size still makes me think he's going to be a SG but if he could play PG the Knicks would have a pretty big BC.

He also had some nice things to say about Fiz, that he's a coach that's going to make them better. Glad Horn is gone, didn't think Nits developed fast enough under him in his rookie season. I think Fiz would have pushed him harder, looking to see how our draft pick this year is handled by Fiz.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjdbFMYhsT9/
    Last edited by tiger0330; Jun 02, 2018 at 07:15.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    Nits putting in the work with trainer Chris Brinkley. Looks like he's been working on that one handed dunk, he did it about 4 times in this video, remember I said I didn't think he could dunk one handed last season but he only had a handful of dunks all last season all of the 2 handed variety. His size still makes me think he's going to be a SG but if he could play PG the Knicks would have a pretty big BC.

He also had some nice things to say about Fiz, that he's a coach that's going to make them better. Glad Horn is gone, didn't think Nits developed fast enough under him in his rookie season. I think Fiz would have pushed him harder, looking to see how our draft pick this year is handled by Fiz.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjdbFMYhsT9/
    Not going to lie, I soured on Ntilikina at the end of this last season, but I’m ready to get back on his hype train. He seems to have the work ethic and maturity to do what needs to be done. He has undeniable physical assets for a guard. If he can be our starting 2 guard, awesome. If he can be our starting PG, then even better.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Not going to lie, I soured on Ntilikina at the end of this last season, but I’m ready to get back on his hype train. He seems to have the work ethic and maturity to do what needs to be done. He has undeniable physical assets for a guard. If he can be our starting 2 guard, awesome. If he can be our starting PG, then even better.
    I saw glimpses last season. Pro handle on occasion, soft touch on his jumper, his defense, mafra said he's athletic just not a super athlete like DM or DSJ and I agree, he fits the mold of how the league is going with the switch heavy defenses, I mentioned in a Celts game thread get 2-3 guys big enough and athletic enough to guard 1-4 and you have a chance to be an elite defensive team. I was worried when he first came out during the ASG that he was going back to France for the off-season but he correctly changed his mind and came back to the states. He reports to the Knicks facility at 9am according to the NY Post and is training with a former Knicks development coach Chris Brickley. I don't think he could have gotten that kind of structure in France, plus a lot of the G League and Knicks players train at the Knicks facility as well so there's opportunities to play pickup games as well in Westchester.

This is certainly a good sign, and this attitude and work ethic is part of the attraction why we selected him. The vision was what Knits could be like by 24.

For what it’s worth, Frank has grown a full inch since season ended.

“I’ve added some weight and muscle,” Ntilikina told The Post on Friday in a phone interview. “I spent a lot of time working on my body in France. I’m getting better and more comfortable with my skills and body. I had the chance to maximize my time and work on my body, which I didn’t have time to do during the season.”

There’s talk Ntilikina, the Knicks’ 2017 lottery pick, has grown at least an inch since the start of his rookie season. In fact, there’s a chance Ntilikina, who turns 20 in October, will be bumped to 6-foot-6 — from 6-5 — in next season’s media guide.

“I may still be growing,” Ntilikina said.

Ntilikina also is working out again with former Knicks developmental coach Chris Brickley at Carmelo Anthony’s gym in Manhattan. The increased strength may help make Ntilikina an even more adept defender than he was as a rookie.

“Frank’s entire demeanor has been different since he has been back,” Brickley told The Post. “He has a confident swagger now that he didn’t have last season. I think when he went home, it allowed him to take a step back and analyze his weaknesses.”

Moreover, the Knicks hope Ntilikina’s new power will make him a more dangerous penetrator. That concern over Ntilikina’s ability to get to the basket prompted Knicks brass to trade for Emmanuel Mudiay at February’s deadline. Now there are rumblings around the NBA the Knicks will take point guard Trae Young at No. 9 if he falls in the draft.

(Berman - Post)
    Last edited by mafra; Jun 02, 2018 at 16:17.

In the 729 possessions that Ntilikina and Porzingis shared the court in 2017-18, the Knicks posted a defensive rating in the 97th percentile and an opponent eFG% in the 99th percentile. In other words: New York has played legitimately elite defense when the two have been on the floor together.

Furthermore, Porzingis ranked No. 1 in the NBA in opponent field goal percentage at the rim and Ntilikina was No. 1 in points allowed per pick and roll possession.

12th man

It's great Frank Knits are putting in off-season work-out with Knicks staff n teammates to improve his all-around 2-Way performance for his 2nd season in the NBA. I only wish the Knicks had some decent 2-Way veteran guards on the team to work-out alongside Knits throughout the summer.
    Horn's foolishness of not putting rookie Frank Knits in lineups tandem along side PG-Sessions, then PG-Jack at the start of the season first 20 games showed very poor developing skills as a headcoach toward a rookie PG .. Session performance could have used a long defensive combo-guard Frank Knits pass-first performance in the lineup with him to keep ball-movement flowing. And Jack needed a defensive combo-guard Baker in the lineup with him to setup bigmen KP and Kanter.
    Horn did nothing bout helping C.Lee and Timmy's poor defensive performance as guards and poor offensive performance as wings that only look out for them selves in a lineup, because both C.Lee n Timmy rarely move without the ball because they have problems catching the ball while moving, plus ball movement stops once either of the two vet SG receive the ball, neither Lee nor Timmy showed any improvement when they were force to play multi-position.

Coach Fiz will need veteran PG-Jarrett Jack to come back next season to demonstrate for all five of our young-minded guards starting with the over-paid shoot-first ISO-Timmy who desperately need to work on ball movement with teammates all summer, then have Jack work several plays with Dotson inside/outside scoring game, help Mudiay establish a better IQ on teammates location to score before 12 second on the shot clock, plus help Burke and Frank Knits setup pick n rolls with Kanter, then KP, then Quinn .. hopefully Perry find a team to trade C.Lee and Lance in the offseason.

Veteran

Interesting blurb that I just read online saying that Donovan Mitchell recently referred to Ntilikina as his “best friend” in the NBA.

Frank Ntilikina, back in U.S. to assist with Donovan Mitchell's youth basketball camp, focused on improving his offense with Knicks

S. Bondy (NY Daily News)

GREENWICH, Conn. – Frank Ntilikina was drafted five spots ahead of Donovan Mitchell, but almost a year later it’s the Knicks point guard who is looking up to a local-bred rising superstar.

“Oh it was unbelievable,” Ntilikina told the Daily News about Mitchell’s remarkable rookie season with the Jazz. “Seeing a good friend play the way he was playing, seeing him carry his team like that, it was great feeling for me and all of his friends. He motivates me to do great things.”

Asked whether he envisions himself playing to Mitchell’s level of last season — which included an impressive run to the Western Conference semifinals — Ntilikina added, “Yes. …Even further.”

Beyond being competitors and motivators, Ntilikina, 19, and Mitchell, 21, are also good buddies. In fact, Ntilikina made an appearance Sunday at Mitchell’s basketball camp in Greenwich, Conn., where the Jazz guard called Ntilikina his best friend in the NBA.

It seems an unlikely relationship since Ntilikina just arrived to the U.S. for the first time less than a year ago, but they apparently hit it off during the draft process and are both represented by Creative Artists Agency. After Ntilikina was taken eighth ninth overall by the Knicks, Mitchell said he talked the Frenchman through some of the adjustments of living in New York.

Mitchell grew up just a few miles from the Knicks practice facility near Westchester and played his AAU ball in Manhattan. His father, Donovan Sr., works for the Mets as the director of player relations.

Sunday’s co-ed camp was held in Mitchell’s old elementary — Greenwich Country Day School — and featured 5-on-5 games refereed by the Rookie of the Year candidate. Ntilikina assisted Mitchell during the lesson portion, lending his expertise on the Euro-step, among other things.

The camp was organized by Mitchell’s mother, Nicole, a preschool teacher at Greenwich Country Day School.

“My biggest thing was, after the end of the season was to have a camp, back here at G.C.S., they did so much for me as a child,” Mitchell told The News. “They helped my mom out, they helped my sister (Jordan) when she went here. I just wanted to give back. That’s all I love doing is giving back to kids, and just having a good time and allowing them to enjoy themselves.

“Right now it’s just here, things will hopefully change throughout my years in the NBA, god willing, just finding ways to continue to give back to the community, to give my advice to kids about my story, because my story is unique and not like everybody else’s.”

Mitchell played two years under Rick Pitino at Louisville and was among the guards the Knicks contemplated drafting before they settled on Ntilikina. He quickly turned into the steal of the draft — almost collectively lauded as the top player of the 2017 class — while averaging over 20 points in 79 games.

Ntilikina, meanwhile, proved to be more of a project while coming off the bench. He demonstrated great potential as a defender but struggled on the offensive end. After spending much of the offseason in France, Ntilikina returned to New York and has been working with new coach David Fizdale at the practice facility. He said Sunday that the focus has been on “offensive skills.”

“Things that help me get comfortable on the court, offensively,” Ntilikina added. “I think defensively I’ve done a great job last year and I have to keep doing it. The main part next year is going to be offensively.”

(For more details on Donovan Mitchell’s camp, go to www.myway45.com).

12th man

I saw htr10 post saying Nits was DM best friend and I was wondering how that could be with Nits from France and not playing over here except in the NBA, this article explains it. I wonder if DM is back in the area for the summer, I couldn't think of a better guy for Frank to be practicing with than DM.

Veteran

Knits looks about the same as he did last yr in these videos, slow and not finishing with power and very casual going to the rim. His perimeter shot looks fluid though(which appeared to be the strongest suit of his game besides defense in spurts last yr).

Of course not the worst thing in the world, he's in a open gym performing premeditated moves. Appears he's working on the repetition side of the game, so he'll do things instinctively when on the court.

Could care less he and Mitchell are friends I mean how much did we hear about Melo and Lebron being best of buds or cool and all the good relationships Melo had across the league over his career...good for the two of them but in the grand scheme of things major cornball stuff here
    Last edited by Broadway; Jun 04, 2018 at 09:07.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    Knits looks about the same as he did last yr in these videos, slow and not finishing with power and very casual going to the rim. His perimeter shot looks fluid though(which appeared to be the strongest suit of his game besides defense in spurts last yr).

Of course not the worst thing in the world, he's in a open gym performing premeditated moves. Appears he's working on the repetition side of the game, so he'll do things instinctively when on the court.

Could care less he and Mitchell are friends I mean how much did we hear about Melo and Lebron being best of buds or cool and all the good relationships Melo had across the league over his career...good for the two of them but in the grand scheme of things major cornball stuff here
    It’s just a surprising thing to read. Not meant to be discussed for basketball ramifications.

As far as the Melo side of things, I think he did have a lot of friends in the league, but in his case, the ones who wanted to win championships knew they couldn’t do it paired with his style of basketball.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post

Never saw him dunk one handed before and while I saw glimpses of a pro handle last season from him that was a criticism of him and it looks to be an area he's improved. Not lacking in confidence about the upcoming season either when asked if he could do what DM did last season he replied "Yes, even further". We will see, you're rightly skeptical after all it's only a couple of months since the season ended and all this work is just him and the basketball, we'll see in summer league his real progress. One season under his belt and 3 months of training he should dominate in summer league. Fiz needs to feature him so he has the opportunity to win the MVP. I think Fiz may coach that team as well even though the duties of the summer league coach usually are delegated to an assistant.