Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Boston Celtics 7:30 2/24/2018 [Game #61]

Trey Burke showing he is a talent worth chasing for this franchise. He has 26 points again and we trail by 6 in the 4th.

We get the loss, but the effort was good tonight. A few things from tonight with the young guys that this team can build upon.

why??? maybe the fans r tired of (how many years??) $hitty play and appreciate to see an actual team... sorry i can't fault fans applauding boston...

I don?t think Knicks fans were cheering for Boston. I just think a lot of Celtics fans were at the game. I?m old fashioned. Boston fans invading MSG doesn?t seem right, even though the Knicks stink.

Mike1989

Rookie
Burke played well again. Surely he has done enough to warrant a chance starting for us at PG?

When I look at a player like Mudiay I ask myself the following questions:

- Is he likely to become a premier scorer? No.
- Is he likely to become a premier shooter? No.
- Is he likely to become a premier passer/play maker? No.
- Is he likely to become a premier defensive player? No.

What Mudiay has going for him is his size and athleticism, but the rest of his game is nothing to write home about at the minute. I can see why they have given him a chance because he's still only 21 years old and in his third year. Maybe he can become a respectable scorer, shooter, passer, and defensive player. But for that to happen he is going to have to make significant improvements to his all round game if he's to become a long term starter in this league because right now he's trending towards Michael Carter-Williams.

For me, Trey Burke is the guy we should be starting at PG. Is Burke likely to become an all star? Probably not, but what he does bring to the team is shooting, scoring, and play making. He's had two games back to back with 20+ points and 6+ assists. If you take into account his per 36 minute stats he's averaging 23.7 ppg and 8.2 apg. If he managed to hit those numbers as a starter he's worthy of all star consideration. Like I said, I don't think he's likely to become an all star but we probably all thought the same about Isaiah Thomas. So in our situation we should turn the starters job over to Burke to see what he's got if Mudiay continues to put up lackluster numbers.

Burke played well again. Surely he has done enough to warrant a chance starting for us at PG?

When I look at a player like Mudiay I ask myself the following questions:

- Is he likely to become a premier scorer? No.
- Is he likely to become a premier shooter? No.
- Is he likely to become a premier passer/play maker? No.
- Is he likely to become a premier defensive player? No.

What Mudiay has going for him is his size and athleticism, but the rest of his game is nothing to write home about at the minute. I can see why they have given him a chance because he's still only 21 years old and in his third year. Maybe he can become a respectable scorer, shooter, passer, and defensive player. But for that to happen he is going to have to make significant improvements to his all round game if he's to become a long term starter in this league because right now he's trending towards Michael Carter-Williams.

For me, Trey Burke is the guy we should be starting at PG. Is Burke likely to become an all star? Probably not, but what he does bring to the team is shooting, scoring, and play making. He's had two games back to back with 20+ points and 6+ assists. If you take into account his per 36 minute stats he's averaging 23.7 ppg and 8.2 apg. If he managed to hit those numbers as a starter he's worthy of all star consideration. Like I said, I don't think he's likely to become an all star but we probably all thought the same about Isaiah Thomas. So in our situation we should turn the starters job over to Burke to see what he's got if Mudiay continues to put up lackluster numbers.

Totally agree. I?m trying to not come down too hard on Mudiay because I spent an entire year bashing the kid his rookie season, but yeah, I don?t think he?s all that great. Burke should at least get a chance for us to find out if his success is a fluke or not.

Broadway

All Star
Totally agree. I’m trying to not come down too hard on Mudiay because I spent an entire year bashing the kid his rookie season, but yeah, I don’t think he’s all that great. Burke should at least get a chance for us to find out if his success is a fluke or not.

I don't disagree Burke is the best lead guard(clearly) we have, but I totally disagree with you and Mike as to who plays with who. I don't care who starts really if the mix of players is right. Maybe it could work for a yr since #kporzee is down featuring Burke but he/#kporzee/Kanter/THJR is not a good mix for offensive efficiency...Sorry. Burke dancin and prancin trying to get his and maximizing equal to better talents around him probably isn't a real working recipe. He has to be a clear feature

Especially if we draft another player who is really offensively gifted in some way it will only complicate matters. Actually the way we're using Burke is perfect no need to tinker with it at all. He's a feature with the 2nd unit. Might not get off as well if he starts. I believe he will get a chance to start again before season's end but I like how he's used. There's no need to limit any of our young guards minutes, I would like to see Mudiay and Knits play more together to force them to do more offensively.

I don't disagree Burke is the best lead guard(clearly) we have, but I totally disagree with you and Mike as to who plays with who. I don't care who starts really if the mix of players is right. Maybe it could work for a yr since #kporzee is down featuring Burke but he/#kporzee/Kanter/THJR is not a good mix for offensive efficiency...Sorry. Burke dancin and prancin trying to get his and maximizing equal to better talents around him probably isn't a real working recipe. He has to be a clear feature

Especially if we draft another player who is really offensively gifted in some way it will only complicate matters. Actually the way we're using Burke is perfect no need to tinker with it at all. He's a feature with the 2nd unit. Might not get off as well if he starts. I believe he will get a chance to start again before season's end but I like how he's used. There's no need to limit any of our young guards minutes, I would like to see Mudiay and Knits play more together to force them to do more offensively.

Burke shouldn?t be punished for the rest of our team being a bunch of incomplete players. Burke should start over Mudiay, Ntilikina should start over Lee, and if we had any guts, we?d start Troy Williams over Beasley. In my mind, whoever starts at wing is a placeholder anyway because that?s the position we?re drafting and with a top 10 pick we have a good chance to get a guy who could be good enough to start day 1 next year.

We can worry about the fit with KP a year from now.

Broadway

All Star
Burke shouldn’t be punished for the rest of our team being a bunch of incomplete players. Burke should start over Mudiay, Ntilikina should start over Lee, and if we had any guts, we’d start Troy Williams over Beasley. In my mind, whoever starts at wing is a placeholder anyway because that’s the position we’re drafting and with a top 10 pick we have a good chance to get a guy who could be good enough to start day 1 next year.

Burke isn't being punished in any way. He's played the most minutes he's ever played in consecutive games since his arrival and is a clear feature on offense and it's working. This coming all off the bench. Starting is really over played in many respects. We actually need to get the most out "all of the young players" not any 1 particular. Including seeing more of Dotson. They did say during last telecast Knits and Burke might start at some point which I would like to see. If they all play their 20-30min starting is more window dressing than anything.

When you take into consideration the +/- which you're a big proponent on...Burke had the most negative of the bench players last game, so it may matter who a player is playing with.

I agree let's see less of Beasley and Thomas. I want to see Burke with Dotson and Mudiay with Knits, I do not care who starts with the pairings as long as they get minutes. T-Will will work with any group I believe, he's a flat out hustle make something happen type player with his athleticism

Burke isn't being punished in any way. He's played the most minutes he's ever played in consecutive games since his arrival and is a clear feature on offense and it's working. This coming all off the bench. Starting is really over played in many respects. We actually need to get the most out "all of the young players" not any 1 particular. Including seeing more of Dotson. They did say during last telecast Knits and Burke might start at some point which I would like to see. If they all play their 20-30min starting is more window dressing than anything.

When you take into consideration the +/- which you're a big proponent on...Burke had the most negative of the bench players last game, so it may matter who a player is playing with.

I agree let's see less of Beasley and Thomas. I want to see Burke with Dotson and Mudiay with Knits, I do not care who starts with the pairings as long as they get minutes. T-Will will work with any group I believe, he's a flat out hustle make something happen type player with his athleticism

I do love personal plus/minus. If you look at that game against Boston, it really shows you that Boston won because of Kyrie and to a lesser extent Tatum.

Ntilikina had the 2nd highest plus/minus for us behind Lance Thomas who, while being a limited talent, has been playing his guts out in the 2 games since the All-Star break.

This fan base is going to be split for the next year between fans who think Mudiay is part of our future and fans who think Mudiay is not good enough to keep past the end of his current contract. Personally, I think Mudiay coming off the bench against backups at least might give him a chance to have a career.

Kiyaman

Legend
Burke shouldn?t be punished for the rest of our team being a bunch of incomplete players. Burke should start over Mudiay, Ntilikina should start over Lee, and if we had any guts, we?d start Troy Williams over Beasley. In my mind, whoever starts at wing is a placeholder anyway because that?s the position we?re drafting and with a top 10 pick we have a good chance to get a guy who could be good enough to start day 1 next year.

Trey Burke has been a 2018-19 KEEPER since the GLeague !!!
Burke is not being punished .. Dolan n Front office n Hornacek are tanking for a 1 to 10 Lottery pick in June.
Mudiay n THJ need to get plenty minute together in the backcourt having Kanter as their PnR man.
Burke n Knits need to be tandem in the backcourt to bring a winning energy off the bench the remainder of the season having Quinn as their PnR man.

Broadway

All Star
I do love personal plus/minus. If you look at that game against Boston, it really shows you that Boston won because of Kyrie and to a lesser extent Tatum.

Ntilikina had the 2nd highest plus/minus for us behind Lance Thomas who, while being a limited talent, has been playing his guts out in the 2 games since the All-Star break.

This fan base is going to be split for the next year between fans who think Mudiay is part of our future and fans who think Mudiay is not good enough to keep past the end of his current contract. Personally, I think Mudiay coming off the bench against backups at least might give him a chance to have a career.

With exception to the Boston game, Lance Thomas has actually been god awful in the +/- past half dozen games or so in totality(dating back to the Bucks game, go check for yourself...no lie prior to trade deadline).

Mudiay is on the wrong side of this metric himself..lo and behold playing them together is probably not a good thing because they have bad +/- as starters and bench players. Starting them "together" is a definite NO NO! They've already played too many minutes together IMO but these are things coaching staffs hopefully sort out in the long run.

Lebron James had the worst +/- of all starters in the NBA for a whole month did you know that? It was a heavy topic on Undisputed leading right up to IT and the gang being traded.

+/- is very tricky, it has to be kept in context because it really does matter who you play with and/or against. For some players it is a tell all but I wouldn't recommend getting into a habit drawing full conclusions as a rule on how to judge players in general.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
As of now Burke is our Lou Williams. At least that's how I see him, let's see if this is a role he excels in or is it something else

Lou Williams currently comes off the bench for the Clippers(has started several games for them this yr) and has come off the bench for the majority of his career, although he's probably always been a Top 5 player on any team he's been on.

I do feel he could be coming off the bench at this point because Clippers probably want him to win 6th Man award. With that being said Lou Will still gets busy nevertheless at over 30min/gm and dropped 35 last time out. Austin Rivers starts at 2 guard instead. Austin had a +/- of 8 in the green Lou had a +/- 2 in the red. +/- is definitely a context stat maybe of all metrics out there, I implore be careful with it...lol

With exception to the Boston game, Lance Thomas has actually been god awful in the +/- past half dozen games or so in totality(dating back to the Bucks game, go check for yourself...no lie prior to trade deadline).

Mudiay is on the wrong side of this metric himself..lo and behold playing them together is probably not a good thing because they have bad +/- as starters and bench players. Starting them "together" is a definite NO NO! They've already played too many minutes together IMO but these are things coaching staffs hopefully sort out in the long run.

Lebron James had the worst +/- of all starters in the NBA for a whole month did you know that? It was a heavy topic on Undisputed leading right up to IT and the gang being traded.

+/- is a very tricky, it has to be kept in context because it really does matter who you play with and/or against. For some players it is a tell all but I wouldn't recommend getting into a habit drawing full conclusions as a rule on how to judge players in general.

I only mentioned LT for the Boston game as an aside because Ntilikina had the 2nd highest +/- to him. LT stinks, but he plays hard.

I think you guys keep downplaying personal plus/minus, but if you look at it every game, it tells more of a story than you think. You might argue that it is the easiest way to see the value or detriment of guys who are doing things out there other than recording traditional stats. Tyson Chandler never put up big numbers in blocks or steals, but he made teams better when he was on the court.

I think we have a few guys who make us better when they?re on the court. Unfortunately, one of them is O?Quinn and he is gone at the end of the season most likely.

Broadway

All Star
I only mentioned LT for the Boston game as an aside because Ntilikina had the 2nd highest +/- to him. LT stinks, but he plays hard.

I think you guys keep downplaying personal plus/minus, but if you look at it every game, it tells more of a story than you think. You might argue that it is the easiest way to see the value or detriment of guys who are doing things out there other than recording traditional stats. Tyson Chandler never put up big numbers in blocks or steals, but he made teams better when he was on the court.

I think we have a few guys who make us better when they’re on the court. Unfortunately, one of them is O’Quinn and he is gone at the end of the season most likely.

You really think O'Quinn is gone? I think he could opt in this summer, he is a Perry guy. I was never enamored with the acquisition of KO but he's done his part when given the chance

You really think O'Quinn is gone? I think he could opt in this summer, he is a Perry guy. I was never enamored with the acquisition of KO but he's done his part when given the chance

I assumed he could get more money elsewhere. Hmm, maybe not.