Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

tiger0330

Legend
Kenny and Thibs would be incredible!

Thibs is no slouch when it comes to player development, saw him completely transform Yao Mings game from his rookie year to him becoming a dominant low post center. A mystery why Kenny hasn?t interviewed yet, he seems a natural fit for the job. Surprised he hasn?t interviewed yet, I?m going to ask the guy that covers the Knicks for The Athletic if he?s heard anything.
Mike Vorkunov of The Athletic said Kenny was scheduled to interview and he believed he was though I didn?t see any news reporting it.

mafra

Legend
Marc Berman - NYP

Entering the process, the sense around the league was the 10 other Knicks coaching candidates would need knock it out of the park to unseat strong favorite Tom Thibodeau.

While sources says Jason Kidd wowed Knicks brass with ?a great interview,? it might not be enough to topple Thibodeau, whose relationship with Knicks president Leon Rose and senior vice president William Wesley should prove insurmountable. They repped Thibodeau at Creative Artists Agency.

The batch of three-hour second interviews with 11 known candidates was completed Monday, giving Knicks executives some time to sort through the data.

Multiple sources insist this was always ?Thibodeau?s job to lose?? ? and probably hasn?t.

?I think Tom and Leon can get the Knicks back to 50 wins,?? one league source said. ?And the Knicks need wins. Tom having Leon there is the key.??

Kidd and Kenny Atkinson are formidable candidates with plenty to offer, but sources believe they remain long shots ? unless Thibodeau turns down the job. (In 2014, Steve Kerr accepted a verbal offer to coach the Knicks before reneging. The team subsequently hired Derek Fisher.)

The Knicks hold the edge because potential Thibodeau suitors ? Houston, Philadelphia and Brooklyn ? are involved in the Orlando restart. That gave the Knicks ample time to conduct a fact-finding search and get coaching candidates to evaluate their players.

mafra

Legend
I think it?s time to screw NO and Griff. They have to retain BI.... they will match any offer for the RFA. The Pelicans have 3 more seasons before it?s time to get Zion to sign extension... Given CP3 and AD, it?s all but certain Zion is on trade block come
Feb 2024....

So, it?s time to screw their cap royally. Time to poison pill and go all J-Lin here...
Force NO to match a bad deal... this only helps force Zion out the door...

And, if they decide to pass.... Not end of world to have BI in MSG.

I think it?s time to screw NO and Griff. They have to retain BI.... they will match any offer for the RFA. The Pelicans have 3 more seasons before it?s time to get Zion to sign extension... Given CP3 and AD, it?s all but certain Zion is on trade block come
Feb 2024....

So, it?s time to screw their cap royally. Time to poison pill and go all J-Lin here...
Force NO to match a bad deal... this only helps force Zion out the door...

And, if they decide to pass.... Not end of world to have BI in MSG.

I mean, how do we not offer Brandon Ingram a max contract? He?s a 24-6-4 guy who shoots well and is only 22-years-old. His defense is not the best, but he has the length to improve. Where else are we going to spend our money?

Like you said, offer Ingram a max deal and worst case scenario, you drive up his price for New Orleans to resign him.

Shams Charania reporting that Mike Woodson will be joining the Knicks in some capacity. Unclear if he will be coming aboard as an assistant coach or as another role. Well-deserved by Woodson. Coach Woodson was a class act when he was head coach of this team. Last head coach to have any success whatsoever with this franchise.

tiger0330

Legend
Not sure about this Woodson hiring since Thibs when asked about it said no decision had been made as yet so my reading between the lines was he was aware the front office was considering it but he was lukewarm about it. Woody is a good coach but is he the best complement for Thibs, his last turn with the Knicks was as the defensive asst to the offensive minded D’Antoni which made sense but now you have 2 guys presumably coaching the defense. Miller also in consideration to be brought on board, with the 3 of them, you now have a senior coaching staff with all 3 guys over 55. I would like to see some younger guys that can still get on the floor to work with the younger guys, Fred Vinson of the Pels comes to mind as a guy that tirelessly worked with Ball to completely rework his shot. Still a chance that the Knicks hire these young hot shots, but I would have liked to have seen one of them hired in a prominent lead asst role or development role.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Knicks want Thibodeau to get working with team in OTAs as soon as August, but need league approval.

Can they set up a Westchester bubble?

That's what needs to happen. Knox/Frank/RJ/DSJ/Mitch/Iggy should basically hang out with Thibs and Mike Miller in a bubble and they should do nothing but eat, drink, and sleep basketball all day every day until the season starts. Then once the draft happens our draft picks join them and they'll have a 9-man squad. Just don't bring Julius Randle into the bubble, he'll infect them with his no-defense disease

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks want Thibodeau to get working with team in OTAs as soon as August, but need league approval.

Can they set up a Westchester bubble?

That's what needs to happen. Knox/Frank/RJ/DSJ/Mitch/Iggy should basically hang out with Thibs and Mike Miller in a bubble and they should do nothing but eat, drink, and sleep basketball all day every day until the season starts. Then once the draft happens our draft picks join them and they'll have a 9-man squad. Just don't bring Julius Randle into the bubble, he'll infect them with his no-defense disease
If you’ve been watching the scrimmages you have to be impressed with how the NBA has handled this virus, Silver should be running the country not Trump. The NBA will figure out how the non-participants can get together and play safely. I’m sure they’re working on it but would like to monetize it so they can broadcast some of the games after the championship is decided down in Orlando. I think I read they might have some kind of tournament in Chicago for those not participating in Orlando, it’ll be a sort of a second NBA season after the playoffs.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Not sure about this Woodson hiring since Thibs when asked about it said no decision had been made as yet so my reading between the lines was he was aware the front office was considering it but he was lukewarm about it. Woody is a good coach but is he the best complement for Thibs, his last turn with the Knicks was as the defensive asst to the offensive minded D’Antoni which made sense but now you have 2 guys presumably coaching the defense. Miller also in consideration to be brought on board, with the 3 of them, you now have a senior coaching staff with all 3 guys over 55. I would like to see some younger guys that can still get on the floor to work with the younger guys, Fred Vinson of the Pels comes to mind as a guy that tirelessly worked with Ball to completely rework his shot. Still a chance that the Knicks hire these young hot shots, but I would have liked to have seen one of them hired in a prominent lead asst role or development role.
Vinson mentioned in the Jazz Pels game as the guy that not only reworked Lonzo’s shot but as instrumental in making Ingram the most improved player this season. BI improvement massive this season in him becoming an unlikely AS this season, Pels trade an AS in AD but get back an AS in Ingram. That Porzingis trade still pisses me off, had 39 pts and 16 rbs tonight and I hope we never hear from Steve Mills again.

Not real excited about the the guys Thibs is rumored to be bringing in as assistants. Still hoping for a younger player development savant like Vinson to be hired by the Knicks. Maybe DSJ game can be reworked with a great coach like Ingrams game has been.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
If this is true, it makes the trade even worse:

The Kristaps Porzingis trade started with Tim Hardaway Jr.

Tim Hardaway Sr. says the blockbuster deal started with a player not named Porzingis. In an interview with the Fort Worth Star-Telegraph published on Sunday, Hardaway Sr. claims Dallas originally called the Knicks in hopes of acquiring his son. Once the Knicks put Porzingis on the table, it obviously changed the structure of the deal.

?Dallas called New York first about Tim Hardaway Jr. That was who they wanted. That?s when New York said, ?What do you think about Porzingis??? Hardaway Sr. said. ?And then they threw Tim in the deal. People are going to say that?s not true to cover their butt, but that?s what I know.?

?????

In other words, we didn?t need to trade KP to get rid of a ?bad? contract. The thinking was, the deal was all about clearing cap space.... well, guess what, even that may not be true!

DAL wanted THjr, and probably would?ve taken his contract straight up for DSJ and cap fillers...

This means, only C-Lee?s deal was the salary dump. Lee could?ve easily been dealt during summer to clear space if KD signed with us.

So, this deal wasn?t about clearing cap space. Mills and Perry lied. This was KP for garbage bc these barons thought they were replacing KP with KD. Lol. Valuable lesson learned. When running a sports franchise, don?t trade your best player pennies in the dollar bc you feel confident you can replace him. Actually replace him
First.... then trade him.

tiger0330

Legend
KP was also going to be a RFA so we could have kept him for the qualifying so we weren’t forced to trade him. Mills the moron is still around since I read he’s still on the board of MSG, just when I said Knicks fans hope to never hear of him again.

It?s a terrible trade, but also, Tim Hardaway Sr has no reason to tell the truth. Of course, according to him, Dallas came to the Knicks wanting his son.

KP wanted out. That?s what prompted the trade. And if we hadn?t traded him, he would have resigned us with us and then immediately demanded a trade out of town. We hired Thibodeau years too late to save our relationship with KP.

Our franchise is super dumb for trading him while he was hurt.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
It’s a terrible trade, but also, Tim Hardaway Sr has no reason to tell the truth. Of course, according to him, Dallas came to the Knicks wanting his son.

KP wanted out. That’s what prompted the trade. And if we hadn’t traded him, he would have resigned us with us and then immediately demanded a trade out of town. We hired Thibodeau years too late to save our relationship with KP.

Our franchise is super dumb for trading him while he was hurt.
I’m inclined to believe TH Sr., KP was thought to be untouchable, restricted and still on his rookie deal so why even attempt to trade for him and bring him into trade talks. I said when the news first came out that the deal was a massive cap clearing but that for the trade to be successful we’d have to use the 70B we got. We didn’t, Mills and Perry spent it on a bunch of role players and tried to sell it to NY fans as a package of players that we would love. Not sure why Scott Perry is still here, he should be gone like Mills is after the worst trade in team history.

mafra

Legend
Over at P&T.com

To that last point, many fans wondered why struggling players like Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr., and Frank Ntilikina didn?t get playing time in the G League. The answer, at least according to Marc Berman of The Post, was that Perry was concerned about how such a move would be perceived.

According to an NBA source familiar with the situation, [vice-president of player development Craig] Robinson lobbied to have the Knicks? top prospects who weren?t getting enough NBA time to spend a few games ? or weeks ? in the G-League to gain rhythm and grow confidence.

Perry rejected the notion, feeling it would be perceived as too big a demotion and felt practice time as well as being around NBA coaches was more vital, according to a source. Robinson?s counter was that during the NBA season, practice time and scrimmages are limited.

Craig Robinson, one of Steve Mills? Princeton buddies, is no longer with the team, but I happen to agree with him on this point. Many of the league?s best franchises, like the Raptors and Spurs, have sent their first-round picks to the G League. And who was Perry worried about offending? The players? If kids like Knox and DSJ thought they were too good for the G Leauge, they were sorely mistaken. More likely, Perry was too concerned with how such a move would like in the New York press.

The good news is the new head coach Tom Thibodeau went out in his opening press conference and immediately made a case for sending youngsters to the G League:

?I think game-time is important. So if a young player is not getting the appropriate amount of time to develop, we?ll utilize the G-League. That?s become an important part of our league. We?ll certainly take advantage of that.??
I think it?s fair to be wary of Thibs? commitment to playing his young guys, but nobody can say the dude will be scared to make a move because how it will be perceived. Perhaps we?ll see players like Knox, Frank and DSJ in the Westchester next season.

My biggest question with giving G League time to guys like DSJ and Knox is will anyone teach them how to play more efficiently or is it just going to feed their egos by letting them rack up stats playing hero ball against lesser competition?

Maybe Ntilikina could benefit from G League time but I think he probably starts for us if Payton is indeed a goner.

Now that we have Thibs on board. I kind of want to see what he can do with these guys.