Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The Nets really do have the magic touch. They are paying 69 million to 2 guys this season who aren’t playing that they signed in free agency this last offseason, they are getting killed in the 1st round of the playoffs, and they have no coach, but no one has one critical thing to say about them.

We lose in a lottery and it somehow further affirms how bad we suck.

And even if we won the lottery people would still laugh at how ****ty our luck is because we won the lottery in a year where the draft sucks

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
As the off season approaches, we're being linked to VanVleet once again. Do you guys think we should pursue even if his asking price is in the $25 million a year range?

I know its steep but I'm leaning towards that move. I feel like a good PG would help our young players improve quicker, also I don't trust any of the PGs coming outta this draft. We really haven't had a good floor general in a while so I think that also contributes to our young guys never fully developing.

mafra

Legend
I read on a SA page the following laugher:

?These factors could push the Spurs to try to move one or both of their stars this summer. If that?s the case, they could find a worse trade partner than the Knicks.

With young talent like Kevin Knox and still valuable veterans like Maurice Harkless, not to mention a top-ten pick in the upcoming draft, the Knicks could put together an enticing package in a sign-and-trade deal that would send DeMar DeRozan to New York. While they may be interested in LaMarcus, DeRozan?s age, and his lack of a positional overlap with Mitchell Robinson, likely makes him the more attractive of the two players, at least to the Knicks.?

DeRozan is 31 and LaMarcus is 35.

The Knicks aren?t 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 stars away... why would Rose trade both a young player and a lottery pick? Dealing even 1 asset for this return is asinine.

tiger0330

Legend
As the off season approaches, we're being linked to VanVleet once again. Do you guys think we should pursue even if his asking price is in the $25 million a year range?

I know its steep but I'm leaning towards that move. I feel like a good PG would help our young players improve quicker, also I don't trust any of the PGs coming outta this draft. We really haven't had a good floor general in a while so I think that also contributes to our young guys never fully developing.
I think you have to try but the Knicks would probably be spinning their wheels with TOR having the contracts of Ibaka and Gasol expiring giving them plenty of cap space to sign their young star. Joe Harris might be a more realistic guy for us to acquire though not with the same skill sets as Vanvleet but a skill, shooting the Knicks need.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks intend to chase Davis Bertans in free agency, according to a new report from NBC Sports, and though New York will face fierce competition for the Latvian Laser, the news suggests a competent front office with a basic understanding of the modern NBA.

Bertans, who is 6?10? and turns 28 in November, is a career 41% three-point marksman coming off his best year in four professional seasons.

He sat out the bubble as a preventative measure to make sure he wouldn?t suffer a serious injury that could hurt his chances of landing a big contract, and according to Chase Hughes of NBC Sports, Bertans will be receiving interest from a number of teams, including current employer the Washington Wizards and the Knicks, as well as the Atlanta Hawks and Phoenix Suns.

tiger0330

Legend
The Knicks intend to chase Davis Bertans in free agency, according to a new report from NBC Sports, and though New York will face fierce competition for the Latvian Laser, the news suggests a competent front office with a basic understanding of the modern NBA.

Bertans, who is 6’10” and turns 28 in November, is a career 41% three-point marksman coming off his best year in four professional seasons.

He sat out the bubble as a preventative measure to make sure he wouldn’t suffer a serious injury that could hurt his chances of landing a big contract, and according to Chase Hughes of NBC Sports, Bertans will be receiving interest from a number of teams, including current employer the Washington Wizards and the Knicks, as well as the Atlanta Hawks and Phoenix Suns.

Slightly better Steve Novak, they better not give the guy a THJ deal.

mafra

Legend
The rumor mill has long been churning out static that Oladipo wants out of Indy ? who wouldn?t? ? and Jonathan Macri has heard rumors that the Knicks could be interested.

Per Macri:

Staying in Indiana for a moment, fresh off reports of an unsettled locker room and one Eastern Conference executive betting that the Pacers trade two-time All-Star Victor Oladipo before next season, I heard from a league source that ?he wants out,? and that there are whispers of the Knicks being a potential trade partner.

LOL. With Steve Nash at the helm in Brooklyn now, someone on Facebook suggested we should go ahead and offer up Nash?s godson RJ for Caris LeVert. Not the craziest idea, but also not going to happen.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks officially announce the hiring of Thibs coaching staff. What struck me is that Bryant seems to have been hired with the title Associate HC above Woodson and the other assistants. I don't think Thibs even knows Bryant so it'll be interesting to see if his role is bigger than Woodson's who I assumed would be Thibs right hand man.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]NEW YORK, NY[/FONT] (September 4, 2020) - The New York Knicks announced today several additions to head coach [FONT=&quot]Tom Thibodeau[/FONT]’s staff. [FONT=&quot]Johnnie Bryant[/FONT] has been named associate head coach and [FONT=&quot]Mike Woodson[/FONT] and [FONT=&quot]Andy Greer[/FONT] have been named assistant coaches. In addition, [FONT=&quot]Daisuke Yoshimoto[/FONT] has been named assistant to head coach. They join recently hired assistant coach [FONT=&quot]Kenny Payne[/FONT]. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.[/FONT]

mafra

Legend
Adding to the report, KFTV mentioned a rumored deal that would send Randle to Utah for veteran point guard Mike Conley and draft considerations.

?[The] number one priority this offseason for the Knicks will be trading Julius Randle,? Knicks Fan TV reported with The Knick of Time Show on their YouTube show on Sunday. ?They are going to look to trade Julius. And the first trade rumor I am hearing is Julius Randle to the Utah Jazz for Mike Conley and draft considerations.?

Conley has one of the richest contracts in the NBA, but the Knicks can create enough cap space to absorb his $34.5 million salary while only sending out the $18.9 million owed to Randle next season.

tiger0330

Legend
Adding to the report, KFTV mentioned a rumored deal that would send Randle to Utah for veteran point guard Mike Conley and draft considerations.

“[The] number one priority this offseason for the Knicks will be trading Julius Randle,” Knicks Fan TV reported with The Knick of Time Show on their YouTube show on Sunday. “They are going to look to trade Julius. And the first trade rumor I am hearing is Julius Randle to the Utah Jazz for Mike Conley and draft considerations.”

Conley has one of the richest contracts in the NBA, but the Knicks can create enough cap space to absorb his $34.5 million salary while only sending out the $18.9 million owed to Randle next season.
Not a big fan of this trade unless we get at least 2 picks back and one of them has to be a first. I would keep Randle if Utah only offered a second rounder to go along with Conley and look for other chances to trade JR.

mafra

Legend
I agree. I wouldn?t mind Conley next year to be our PG, for this takes pressure off of Knits and DSJ and allows Thins to develop those guys. At his pace... Mainly, we she?s Randle from the books come 2021-2022

But, it can?t be straight up...

The Jazz have four second round picks in the upcoming draft, so maybe one or two of those picks is what is being alluded to as ?draft consideration.?

I would request draft consideration, for sure. Randle would be ideal for them
As a third option... so they should pay for the right to clear up cap to retain DM.

Give me their 1st and a 2nd and Randle... no? Or 2 seconds and a future first.

tiger0330

Legend
He’s not a FA ‘till next year but I’d rather pick up Rondo than someone like Conley or Chris Paul. He’d bring vet leadership and championship experience for a lot cheaper than them. Great game on both sides of the ball tonight against the Rox for RR tonight.

mafra

Legend
That?s why I like flipping Randle for Conley and picks. Only on books for 1 season... Randle 3 more.
Mercurial Rondo won?t abide a rebuild and probably would clash with Thibs. I?d pass there.

That?s why I like flipping Randle for Conley and picks. Only on books for 1 season... Randle 3 more.
Mercurial Rondo won?t abide a rebuild and probably would clash with Thibs. I?d pass there.

I thought Randle was only on the books for 2 more seasons?

tiger0330

Legend
That’s why I like flipping Randle for Conley and picks. Only on books for 1 season... Randle 3 more.
Mercurial Rondo won’t abide a rebuild and probably would clash with Thibs. I’d pass there.
Just read Rondo has a player option for ~2.7M, my bet is he doesn’t pick up the option which means the Knicks could get him. They’re talking about picking up CP3 for the remaining 2 years of his deal at 80M to change the culture of the Knicks, if it was me I’d pick up Rondo for a lot less to change the culture.

mafra

Legend
Just read Rondo has a player option for ~2.7M, my bet is he doesn’t pick up the option which means the Knicks could get him. They’re talking about picking up CP3 for the remaining 2 years of his deal at 80M to change the culture of the Knicks, if it was me I’d pick up Rondo for a lot less to change the culture.

If Rondo is invested and onboard, I would be cool with RR over CP3.

I would only take CP if it was a salary dump and they sent us assets.

mafra

Legend
?Around February [2019] I was thinking I didn?t want to be the savior of the Knicks or New York,?? Durant said on JJ Redick?s ?Old Man and the Three? podcast. ?That never really moved me. I didn?t care about being on Broadway. I just want to play ball and go to the crib and chill.?

?So I felt like that?s what Brooklyn embodied,?? Durant said. ?And I wanted to live in New York. And I felt like Brooklyn is everything I?m about ? chill, on the low, all-black everything, we?re quiet. Just focus on basketball. There?s no show when you come to our games. No Madison Square, no mecca. All of that s?t. We?re just going to hoop and build something new in Brooklyn.?

?I never planned on going to the Knicks,?? Durant said. ?That was just the media putting that out there, especially when I didn?t sign a three-year deal [as a free agent in 2018],? Durant said. ?Once I signed a [one-year deal], just the noise got louder about me going to the Knicks for some reason. Knicks being the savior, you know how that goes. Every time a big free agent is up the Knicks are going to get him. So it just took off.?