Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

mafra

Legend
The Knicks have emerged as potential trade partners with the Lakers for JaVale McGee, as Los Angeles continues to try and free up cap space to sign free agent center Marc Gasol, SNY's Ian Begley confirmed Sunday.

According to Begley, trading McGee was always part of the Lakers' offseason plan if they were going to try and free up cap space. They are trying to get more money and look more financially attractive to Gasol, who has narrowed down his choices of landing spots to Los Angeles and Toronto.

McGee is owed $4.2 million this season, so if the Knicks were to partake in this trade, it would look similar to the deal they just did with the Utah Jazz: taking in Ed Davis' $5 million contract with two second rounds picks sent to New York in the trade, as well.

Though the Lakers don't have much when it comes to future draft assets, you can expect the Knicks to get at least one additional asset out of the trade if they agree to a deal.

The Knicks' involvement in trade talks were first reported by The New York Times' Marc Stein.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks sign Docs son Austin to a 1 year deal. He was more of a shooting guard in Houston coming off the bench so it'll be interesting to see if they want to make him the starting PG.

Another former lottery bust signed with Austin Rivers. This is a weird roster. We prioritized 2021 off-season cap space, but not a lot of reason to believe we will attract anyone.

mafra

Legend
We got 2 second rounders in 2013 for Ed Davis.

Sounds like we may absorb another guy from LAK or something... possibly...

I like Austin Rivers signing. Another guy we could flip at deadline. He can shoot. Duke guy, not Ku, but probably better SG we?ve had in years.

Bullock, Burks, Rivers our SG snipers...

mafra

Legend
Then we dealt Ed Davis to MIN ...

The Wolves are trading Omari Spellman and Jacob Evans and a future second-round pick to New York for Ed Davis.
Jaden

So, that?s 3 second rounders we get by absorbing then dealing Ed.

I wonder if this means we are trading DSJ or Frankie?

We got 2 second rounders in 2013 for Ed Davis.

Sounds like we may absorb another guy from LAK or something... possibly...

I like Austin Rivers signing. Another guy we could flip at deadline. He can shoot. Duke guy, not Ku, but probably better SG we?ve had in years.

Bullock, Burks, Rivers our SG snipers...

I think Rivers is CAA

Pricey

Rotation player
Im a Rivers fan being a Dukie. He had a pretty good year coming off the bench. Nice little pickup for us

mafra

Legend
I read 3 years / 10 mil for Rivers?

Ian Begley
@IanBegley
The final two years of Austin Rivers? three-year deal with the Knicks are non-guaranteed, per SNY sources. He has a three-year, $10 million deal, ESPN reports.

Mike Vorkunov
@MikeVorkunov
The Knicks turned $5 million in cap space into 3 future second-round picks, Omari Spellman (the No. 30 pick in 2018) and Jacob Evans (No. 28 in 2018). Heady maneuvering from Leon Rose, Scott Perry, Brock Aller, Frank Zanin, Walt Perrin, and Co.

mafra

Legend
Knicks Nation
@KnicksNation
The Knicks have 15 players under contract and still have about 15 million in cap-space.

Ideal situation for a mid-season trade to take on an expiring contract along with picks OR to trade for a stud.

Either way, slick moves by Leon Rose and company.

mafra

Legend
PG. DSJ, Frankie, Payton, Rivers, Harper
SG. Bullock, Burks, IQ, Evans, Powell
SF. RJ, Ignas, Pinson
PF. Randle, Toppin, Knox, Spellman
C. Robinson, Noel

That?s our roster right now... 19 bodies.

Anybody think trade(s) coming?

Will we keep Randle, DSJ, Frankie, Knox?

Will we target a Westbrook, Wall, Ball?

I think we go forward with this group, and if Thibs and the kids show some moxy and are in position to battle for 6-11 seed... then they make a move for WWB to run the Pg.

If not, stay course and get back into lottery!

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Less than 48 hours into 2020 free agency, and 1 of NYK?s main free agent targets in 2021 is off the market.

D-Mitch signs extension to stay in Utah. So much for the Bryant is influence, for both GH and DM won?t be coming to the orange and bluegrass MSG.

mafra

Legend
This paragraph is troubling to read:

? But when they missed on main targets such as Fred VanVleet, Gordon Hayward, D.J. Augustin and Carmelo Anthony, the Knicks adjusted. The Post has learned Rose even made a big push for athletic power forward Jerami Grant, who signed with Detroit.?

Is Rose an idiot? Our last 2 lottery selections are PFs (Knox, Toppin). We signed Randle last year... why was Leon pursuing Grant? Why! That?s almost criminal....

More from Berman?s NYP article.

Instead, Rose acquired high-character guys and maintained flexibility for the star-studded 2021 free-agent class. Without an established No. 1 option, the 72-game season may put them in good lottery position for the spectacular 2021 Cade Cunningham/Jalen Green draft.

?It?s a little surprising,?? one NBA executive said. ?You can make the argument they got worse.?

Rose was not made available for comment Monday and hasn?t spoken to the media since July.

Meanwhile, the Knicks have draft capital up to the sky. After accumulating four second-rounders in the last five days, they own 19 draft picks over the next six drafts ? eight first-rounders, 11 second-rounders. Those are useful in blockbuster trades.

Credit new strategy director Brock Aller, stolen from the Cavaliers, as the one mostly behind those gains. You also may want to credit Aller for having the intel the Cavaliers would pass on Obi Toppin at No. 5 in last week?s draft. Hence, the Knicks did not have to give up their other first-round pick to trade up.

Boston?s former G League coach joining Thibs? staff. Don?t know much about him. He was an assistant with New Orleans previously.

Interesting that we sign him and not Mike Miller. Miller might not have been interested. Hope he finds a job.

Broadway

All Star
I loved the draft and the Ed Davis trade was cool as hell but boy was our offseason SUPER MEH

Wooten = Will the low cost investment crack rotation, always the million dollar question...I wouldn't BANK on it
Nerlens Noel = Bobby Portis glitch LOL
Austin Rivers = He's not needed and such a BUM
Alec Burks = Affalo Lite 2.0...NO THANK YOU
Elfrid Payton = Why, seriously why, why, can someone tell me why YUCK

Randle is still here, which is likely not a good thing going forward. I do know Robinson is in the gym still knocking 3s down and DSJ is working with Mahmoud Abdul Rauf to improve his jumpshot...A.K.A. the original Steph Curry. There's video on the web of both working out

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
According to Vegas, NYK have worst odds to win title.

Immanuel Quickley
@IQ_GodSon
?
3h
I see KP at the facility it feel like I?m at Kentucky all over again 😂 #GoodVibes #NewYorkForever

Kiyaman

Legend
This paragraph is troubling to read:

? But when they missed on main targets such as Fred VanVleet, Gordon Hayward, D.J. Augustin and Carmelo Anthony, the Knicks adjusted. The Post has learned Rose even made a big push for athletic power forward Jerami Grant, who signed with Detroit.?

Is Rose an idiot? Our last 2 lottery selections are PFs (Knox, Toppin). We signed Randle last year... why was Leon pursuing Grant? Why! That?s almost criminal....

More from Berman?s NYP article.

Instead, Rose acquired high-character guys and maintained flexibility for the star-studded 2021 free-agent class. Without an established No. 1 option, the 72-game season may put them in good lottery position for the spectacular 2021 Cade Cunningham/Jalen Green draft.

?It?s a little surprising,?? one NBA executive said. ?You can make the argument they got worse.?

Rose was not made available for comment Monday and hasn?t spoken to the media since July.

Meanwhile, the Knicks have draft capital up to the sky. After accumulating four second-rounders in the last five days, they own 19 draft picks over the next six drafts ? eight first-rounders, 11 second-rounders. Those are useful in blockbuster trades.

Credit new strategy director Brock Aller, stolen from the Cavaliers, as the one mostly behind those gains. You also may want to credit Aller for having the intel the Cavaliers would pass on Obi Toppin at No. 5 in last week?s draft. Hence, the Knicks did not have to give up their other first-round pick to trade up.

My 2 cents added .. does not make the 2020-21 Knicks season optimistic of winning more than 20 games in the upcoming season. It's a terrible shame how 99% of the NBA FA stayed far and distant from Knicks new president Rose and new head-coach Thibs throughout the Covid-19 long offseason.
The Knicks FA signing of Rivers & Noel has to be a BIGGER joke than the previous year offseason FA signing.
The best player on the Knicks roster last season were Marcus Morris, who just signed a 4 yr $64M Deal with the LA Clippers.
So if the question ever came up about the Knicks 2020 offseason transaction being better or worst than their previous offseason transaction?
The hiring of head-coach Thibs are not gonna help the Knicks add WINS to their 2020-21 season especially, without having a strong leadership STAR (CP3, Westbrook, Van Fleet) play-maker running the show.