Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

Broadway

All Star
Mark Stein writing about the Knicks firing Hornacek and bringing in Mark Jackson or David Blatt. Only a rumor started by one guy but to me its not a matter of IF but when. I would part ways very soon after the season ends even before hiring anyone. Look if he was like Pop winning despite not having Kawhi all season and other key injuries Horn would deserve to stay but he isn't winning and Perry should want his own guy in his place. My choice would be JVG or Fizdale not MJ and no to Blatt imo.

I like Jax on the idea Stephen A pitched if say someone like Trae Young is in our sights because Jax knows what to do with a talent like that and because of his point guard background with guys we already have on the roster and last but not least New York bred. JVG would be okay if you can get a T-Macish type talent from the draft to pair with #kporzee to create the T-Mac/Yao type duo dynamic although JVG tends to drag it out with the system he runs. Fizdale is okay but I fear we'd try and make a play on Conley or guys he's coached and could potentially wear out his welcome in NY. I do like him but fit could be a big question

I would also consider maybe one of these up and coming collegiate coaches(a la Celtics/Stevens) who may be looking to make the jump to the big league as our team will continue getting younger.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I like Jax on the idea Stephen A pitched if say someone like Trae Young is in our sights because Jax knows what to do with a talent like that and because of his point guard background with guys we already have on the roster and last but not least New York bred. JVG would be okay if you can get a T-Macish type talent from the draft to pair with #kporzee to create the T-Mac/Yao type duo dynamic although JVG tends to drag it out with the system he runs. Fizdale is okay but I fear we'd try and make a play on Conley or guys he's coached and could potentially wear out his welcome in NY. I do like him but fit could be a big question

I would also consider maybe one of these up and coming collegiate coaches(a la Celtics/Stevens) who may be looking to make the jump to the big league as our team will continue getting younger.

I agree about a relative unknown or college coach, Stevens proved a smart college coach can win in the NBA. I saw Avery Johnson coaching ALA and was wondering why he didn't get another shot at an NBA job but there are probably good reasons why he hasn't, Mark Jackson is probably the same being passed over because of his rep being tarnished when he was with the Warriors.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
ESPN Insider Ranking of the Knicks for the top teams over the next 3 years. Not good news for Knicks fans if this ranking is accurate finishing 24th of 30 teams means we will be talking about tanking for several more seasons. I heard Don Mclean on a Clippers broadcast say the Nets had a brighter future than the Knicks based on what he thought about Marks and some of the work he's done and ESPN has them rated 18 so we can't even claim to be the best team in NY over the next several years. I hope this article is full of crap.

[h=2]
i
24. New York Knicks[/h]
RankScore
PlayersT-2430.0
Management2917.5
Money1260.0
Market385.0
DraftT-575.0
Overall: 38.8
Let's start with the good news: The Knicks finally seem committed to building around young talent like a normal team, and they've got all their own first-round picks going forward -- starting with one likely to be in the top 10 this year.
Unfortunately, part of the reason New York ranks fifth in the draft category is the expectation the team won't win in the near future. Kristaps Porzingis' torn ACL not only ended the Knicks' hopes of competing this season but could hamper their 2018-19 as well.
New York is also at least one more season away from being a player in free agency. Most likely, the Knicks will wait for Joakim Noah's ill-fated contract to come off their books in 2020, leaving Tim Hardaway Jr. and Porzingis (presuming he extends his contract or re-signs as a restricted free agent) as their lone big-money deals.

-- Kevin Pelton
(Previous rank: No. 24)

Kiyaman

Legend
Wow .. ESPN predictions of the Knicks next 3 seasons has no love for Mills n Perry to make Knicks a playoff team .. 24th out of 30 teams = the Knicks will be in the Lottery plus average out to be a 23 win season team the next 3 seasons.

What do ESPN know that we Knicks fans don't know?
The Knicks has the capability to become a postseason team next season ..
By hiring Mark Jackson as head coach.
By keeping 9 of the previous players on next season roster.

Kiyaman

Legend
This is probably why he's been a journeyman, possesses talent but simply doesn't work hard enough

I'm not a Beasley fan .. but the Knicks put the 6.9 skinny-wing Beasley at the wrong position throughout the 2017-18 season .. the Knicks rotation were weak at both forward position throughout this season.
Beasley should have been given the starter SF job during the month of November .. plus keep Beasley at the SF position throughout the season.
The Knicks starter frontline should have been Beasley KP n Kanter .. having a backcourt of C.Lee n Jack.

mafra

Legend
CHARLOTTE, N.C. ? It wasn?t hard reading lips when an irate Kyle O?Quinn screamed profanities at Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek on Friday at the Garden when he came to the bench.

And it was evident when Joakim Noah laced into Hornacek and needed to be restrained last month at a Denver practice that the exiled Knicks center wasn?t asking the coach permission to draw up a play.

Monday in Charlotte became another weird evening. Who knows exactly what transpired to prompt Hornacek to spontaneously hand over the clipboard to Tim Hardaway Jr. in a one-point game in the fourth quarter to draw up a play in the huddle?

Hornacek said he had never done such a maneuver before, and Hardaway mentioned he was ?disappointed? Hornacek needed to call a timeout to allow Trey Burke a breather.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/27/the-knicks-jeff-hornacek-rebellion-is-growing-quickly/

paris401

Starter

mafra

Legend
From ESPN:

4. Emmanuel Mudiay, out of sorts

Mudiay finally perked up in his past two games, but holy hell has the Mudiay era with the New York Knicks been a tough watch.

Years of bonking shots around the rim have reduced Mudiay to a certain skittishness navigating the pick-and-roll. He has developed a bad habit of gaining an advantage, turning the corner, and giving the advantage right back:

From the moment Mudiay traps Goran Dragic on his hip, the worst possible outcome other than Mudiay throwing the ball away is Mudiay sliding back for a midrange brick.

In Mudiay's defense, this sort of surrender isn't uncommon among young point guards. Kyrie Irving did it a lot in his first two seasons -- perhaps out of arrogance rather than uncertainty -- and D'Angelo Russell is struggling with it now. But Mudiay has to regain confidence in his finishing skills, and build out from there.

Mudiay has been mostly awful in the NBA -- a tank commander of the highest rank. But there is an interesting player in here somewhere. He shot well on catch-and-shoot 3s last season. He's big and fast enough to get where he wants to go, and his vision is ahead of his judgment. He's shooting 68 percent at the rim as a Knick -- blowing away his (ugly) career numbers. Everyone in Denver praises his resiliency. He just turned 22.

He is playing amid a makeshift, tanking team. Provide some stability, and he could grow into something.

tiger0330

Legend
Mark Stein writing about the Knicks firing Hornacek and bringing in Mark Jackson or David Blatt. Only a rumor started by one guy but to me its not a matter of IF but when. I would part ways very soon after the season ends even before hiring anyone. Look if he was like Pop winning despite not having Kawhi all season and other key injuries Horn would deserve to stay but he isn't winning and Perry should want his own guy in his place. My choice would be JVG or Fizdale not MJ and no to Blatt imo.
NY Rangers fired their coach the day the season ended. My guess is something similar happens to Hornacek, some NBA insider said no one could win with the guys the Knicks had but that Horn was only an OK coach, and his coaching style both in PHX and NY lacked discipline. Have to agree with this guy, Horn is a so so coach and Perry should hire someone better. Perry should see if Jay Wright might be interested in a pro job, might be a great coach for a young team like the Knicks.

mafra

Legend
Not to mention Horn wasn?t hired by Perry. Every GM wants to hire their own coach... losing 50 games back-2-back, while not getting thru to players or developing youth, sealed Jeff?s fate.

Bring in Mark Jax!

Kiyaman

Legend

I been hearing so much fan sympathy for Jeff Hornacek .. I'm sick of it!
We started the season losing every road game we played .. winning at home was all good but when we played outside of MSG we became consistent LOSERS!
The previous season in 2016-17 Horn's coaching made every Knicks young core player look like a struggling-bust player.
Coach Horn"s steady small-ball lineups for two seasons were without any type of defensive plan for stops, plus the offensive system had no consistency nor was our offensive plan a threat to any of our opponents.

The article above wants to blame the Knicks losses on the injury to KP when the Knicks were 5-15 when "Tired-KP"got injured.
The Knicks loss the majority of their games for two seasons for having a weak big-man rotation in their SF/PF/Center front-line.
When a team has 5 centers on their roster plus a non-defensive minded head-coach that only coach small-ball lineups (3 or 4 guard lineups) without a uptempo scheme (SSOL) nor having a transition plan to out run opponents on offense before they could set-up on defense .. that's how the majority of small-ball teams win games.

tiger0330

Legend
This could be a blessing in disguise if he opts out

Not a surprise coming off a very good season as a starter that he wants to secure a long term deal. Me and mafra have different opinions about him but look at his PER for this season, he's top 20 in the league and I said I would pay him 15M. I think he may get a better deal than that in FA.

attachment.php

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-10_10-11-51.jpg
    upload_2018-4-10_10-11-51.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 58

tiger0330

Legend
An update on Porzingis. Rehabbing in Spain and that strength guru who he's working with says you won't recognize him with his shirt off come the start of the season.

It has been nearly months since New York Knicks All-Star forward Kristaps Porzingis underwent surgery to repair a torn ACL that he suffered just prior to the All-Star break back in February.
Since then, he has continued to make a steady recovery from the injury that he has decided to currently do his rehab work in Spain at this point in the Knicks’ offseason. According to Marc Berman of The New York Post, Porzingis’ performance doctor Carlon Colker has stated that the star forward is progressing quite well.
“KP is doing great in Madrid,’’ said Carlon Colker, Porzingis’ performance doctor based in Greenwich, Conn. “His aggressive rehab is at a jaw-dropping rate. In conjunction, his body is already looking beastly. By September, he’ll be almost non-recognizable with his shirt off. We’re working on increasing his lean muscle mass and also training for a functionality and ruggedness to compliment his game.’’
Porzingis is currently rehabbing from an injury that typically takes between nine months to a year to fully heal. The fact that he has made this type of progress at this early point with an aggressive approach to the recovery is a telling about how far he has come in this short amount of time.
Prior to the injury, Porzingis had been putting together a promising third year in the league that has earned him the recognition of being one of the top young big men in the league. In the 2017-18 campaign, he was putting up career-best numbers averaging 22.7 points on 43.9 percent shooting from the field and 39.5 percent from beyond the arc along with 6.6 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks per contest.
Ultimately, New York will likely take the precautionary approach with him given the significance of the injury and his importance to his future with the franchise as the cornerstone player that the team hopes to build around for the long haul.

tiger0330

Legend
As expected looks like Ron Baker picked up his 4.5M player option for next season. I'd expect Kanter to pick his up as well, he was top 20 in PER but I think the market is going to be cold for him this off-season. Quinn on the other hand has more options with teams being able to pay him more than the 4M he's making using the MLE, he's outplayed his current contract so I think he opts out despite him saying he'd like to remain a Knick.

mafra

Legend
Perry, speaking on the In The Key podcast with BJ Armstrong, said he hopes to have a more specific timetable on Porzingis in September. The Latvian will be out until at least early-December, and owner James Dolan admitted in April that they have no clue when he'll return.

As for the rest of the roster, Perry admits it's going to be difficult to make too many additions this summer considering the team's current cap situation.

"Every year we'll keep our antennas up but what we're really setting ourselves up (for is) the following summer," Perry said. "Just based on when I came in here in terms of cap space availability, we're not going to be a team with a whole lot of cap space this summer."

This summer, the likes of LeBron James, Paul George, Chris Paul and Demarcus Cousins could all be free agents, depending on if James and George opt out of their current deals.

Despite not having much room to make a run at those top free agents, Perry is already planning out when the team will be able to do so.

"We'll be looking for some shorter term, maybe veteran players who can help some of our younger guys for this season and really preparing and gearing up for free agency in the summer of (2019) and (2020) where that will be our first opportunity to have the type of cap space that can hopefully make a difference in your roster and going out to get one of the top-tier free agents," Perry said.