Knicks Insider: "All Things Knicks"

tiger0330

Legend
Alan Houston reportedly in line for a promotion in the front office when Rose is anointed the new President. Funny I mentioned Houston and getting rid of him in a house cleaning of the front office because the Knicks have had no success with him there. Rich Cho reportedly took himself out of the running for a Knicks job being happy in his role as VP of Strategy with Memphis.

For the first time today, I read online that Mike Woodson might get consideration for our head coaching job. Obviously, I want Thibodeau. Woodson did get a raw deal here though after being relatively successful (granted with a much better roster). Dolan might want to bring him back for that reason.

mafra

Legend
Kay show talked about JVG vs Thibbs on their show this afternoon.

They said it?s not even a choice.

This is Thibs dream job and JVG desperately wants a second chance here to redeem himself...

But, this is a YOUNG roster and has 7 draft picks next few years...

JVG has worked with all these young players, for USA hoops.

Thibbs has proven in the past he butts heads with young kids. Thibbs is also a taskmaster and works players hard, which the modern player doesn?t appreciate.

JVG is well-known by all, for his TV work and exposure.

Basically, passing on JVG for Thibs would be the wrong move.

Kay show talked about JVG vs Thibbs on their show this afternoon.

They said it?s not even a choice.

This is Thibs dream job and JVG desperately wants a second chance here to redeem himself...

But, this is a YOUNG roster and has 7 draft picks next few years...

JVG has worked with all these young players, for USA hoops.

Thibbs has proven in the past he butts heads with young kids. Thibbs is also a taskmaster and works players hard, which the modern player doesn?t appreciate.

JVG is well-known by all, for his TV work and exposure.

Basically, passing on JVG for Thibs would be the wrong move.

All fair points. JVG hasn?t been an NBA coach for 13 years though. Thibs is only 1 year out of the league. Thibs coached a playoff team in 2018. JVG coached a playoff team in 2007. I can?t think of any examples of guys staying away for as long as him and then coming back.

tiger0330

Legend
For the first time today, I read online that Mike Woodson might get consideration for our head coaching job. Obviously, I want Thibodeau. Woodson did get a raw deal here though after being relatively successful (granted with a much better roster). Dolan might want to bring him back for that reason.
Woody not a bad coach but so so guys will not be considered. Thibs will be the leading candidate, JVG out of the game too long imo but I'd like to bring him back with Thibs as his lead guy or with JVG as the lead guy with Thibs as head coach. Thibs is a coaching lifer, heard he doesn't even have a permanent home living with his brother in Mass and LA waiting to see where he winds up before settling somewher..

tiger0330

Legend
I still remember what Thibs did in remaking Yao into a gifted low post scorer. Look at Yao as a rookie and year 3 or 4, completely different player who developed a refined post game. If Thibs could do that with Yao you have to think our young guys would develop under him, only thing like Mafra said he rode Yao hard to get the results and young guys now might not like that style of coaching.

mafra

Legend
All fair points. JVG hasn?t been an NBA coach for 13 years though. Thibs is only 1 year out of the league. Thibs coached a playoff team in 2018. JVG coached a playoff team in 2007. I can?t think of any examples of guys staying away for as long as him and then coming back.

That?s not entirely true tho, b/c JVG is 13-2 as a coach for USA b-ball.

?Undertaking his seventh USA Basketball head coaching assignment since August 2017, former NBA head coach Jeff Van Gundy has compiled a 13-2 overall record.

Selected to lead the USA Basketball Men?s World Cup Qualifying teams, as the USA World Cup Qualifying team head mentor, Van Gundy has mentored USA World Cup Qualifying Team rosters featuring 47 different players to an 8-2 record as the USA successfully earned a qualifying berth in the 2019 FIBA World Cup.?

?Van Gundy boasts of 18 seasons of NBA coaching experience, including 11 seasons as a head coach and seven seasons as an assistant. All tallied, as a head coach he compiled an overall record of 430-318 (.575), and led teams to the NBA playoffs in nine of his 10 full seasons and posted a 44-44 all-time playoff record.?

Plus, he?s been in broadcasting so he?s been immersed in the game and expanding his knowledge ever since....

You could also add that Thibbs proved his limitations in MIN. Got them to the playoffs then wore out his welcome. What did he do with a true franchise player in KAT?

Thibs much better HC than what we?ve had lately and our roster seems to be made for him....

But, is JVG the smarter choice? Would Thibs burn MRob and RJ out?

KAT is like KP. An ego that exceeds accomplishments. Both guys expected max contracts. Both guys expected max respect. Neither guy made the team that drafted them a winner. Neither guy is even an all-star this season.

What kind of franchise player can?t even get a reserve all-star spot?

Thibs got Minnesota to the playoffs. Hardly say he showed nothing but limitations

That said, JVG is fine.

tiger0330

Legend
The argument against Thibs is the reason Beilein quit, players did not like his overly long practices and video sessions. Mo Wagner said that was coach Beilein's style and he understood why players wouldn't like it, you would hope Thibs has toned it down before the Knicks make his hire.

The argument against Thibs is the reason Beilein quit, players did not like his overly long practices and video sessions. Mo Wagner said that was coach Beilein's style and he understood why players wouldn't like it, you would hope Thibs has toned it down before the Knicks make his hire.

Thibs is not going to call his players ?thugs?.

Julius Randle endorsing what a great job Mike Miller has done as head coach. Randle has done much better statistically under Miller.

tiger0330

Legend
Thibs is not going to call his players “thugs”.
I was reading how much him calling the players thugs was so much of an issue with the players despite him walking back the remark saying he meant to say slugs. The players were taunting him by playing rap music with the word Thug in the title or lyrics. You know you lost the team when you're dissed like that. Have to hand it to Beilein though, how many guys are walking away from his deal and leaving millions on the table.

Kiyaman

Legend
Julius Randle endorsing what a great job Mike Miller has done as head coach. Randle has done much better statistically under Miller.

I too wouldn't mind Miller coaching a full season next year however, Miller will need a better coaching-staff, plus a few experience veteran players on his roster next season.

Dolan does not rehire people that quit on him .. Dolan refuse to rehire Ewing, and Dolan refuse to rehire JVG.
Did Thibs quit or was he fired from the Knicks coaching-staff ???

Kiyaman

Legend
Both Thibs and JVG will need to have 4 healthy veteran players in their starter lineup to have a successful season.
All those draft picks the Knicks have means nothing when 80% of the Knicks roster are young-core players, and bust draft pick vets, plus the Knicks head-coach has less than 4 yr experience. There's no success having that kind of recipe in the organization.

tiger0330

Legend
Nice feel good article about Taj and t he young guys.

It really doesn’t seem all that long ago.
C.J. Watson raced up the court on a two-on-one fast break and saw just one man between him and the basket. That man, though, happened to be Dwyane Wade, who by this point, had developed quite the reputation as the Miami Heat’s primary rim protector.
So it was a spry youngster by the name of Taj Gibson who Watson nominated to finish the break. Gibson received the pass at the free-throw line with a full head of steam. Like any prideful competitor, Wade dared Gibson to go through him — and Gibson obliged. It was then, in Game 1 of the 2011 Eastern Conference finals, that the world learned Gibson’s name. He dunked on Wade so badly that even Zaire Wade — Dwyane’s oldest son — would tease his dad about it.
Nearly 10 years later, although his legs aren’t as springy as they used to be, Gibson’s reputation of being a fierce competitor, meticulous student and true professional have followed him throughout his career — from Chicago to Oklahoma City to Minneapolis and now, to New York.
And yes, even as the Knicks sputter toward what will certainly be another trip to the NBA lottery, Gibson’s reputation has remained fully intact. He’s a solution, not a problem. Gibson, 34, has done all that he can to provide value and be a foundational piece for the Knicks — who are preparing to make roster changes this offseason — from taking Frank Ntilikina out to dinner to coaching up Mitchell Robinson in practice.
“I see potential,” Gibson said when asked about his teammates. “I see so much positive and good things in these guys, and sometimes, it doesn’t turn into wins, but every day I’m just trying to get guys in tune with how to be professional.”
Among all of his teammates, it is perhaps Ntilikina and Robinson — two of the club’s more promising prospects — who have benefitted most from Gibson’s presence.
“We talk a lot, either on the court or off the court when we travel,” Ntilikina said. “He’s played in this league for years and he knows what it is to go through an NBA season. There’s a lot of stuff going on, and he’s here to always help us be prepared for everything.”
Although Ntilikina is still trying to find consistency in his game, he cites Gibson as one of the primary forces that has helped him try to tune out the background noise and stay focused on honing his craft. During trade deadline season, it was the veteran who was in the Frenchman’s ear with a simple directive.
“It was just about controlling what we can control,” Ntilikina said. “Taj helps us stay even and focused on the journey.”
Robinson shares those sentiments.
“Taj, he’s keeping us focused, even though the kind of season we’re having, he’s keeping us staying positive,” Robinson said. “He motivates me.”
Robinson’s potential evident, it became imperative that the Knicks front office surround the 21-year-old with coaches and teammates from whom he could learn. To that end, Gibson — who has aspirations of coaching once his playing career is over — has been a valuable voice.
“You got a lot of young guys, and I’m always out there really just conversing and getting into it with every guy from top to bottom,” Gibson said. “I try to encourage them to get better and how to be professional. It’s challenging, but I love it.”
Despite Robinson’s promise, his inability to stay out of foul trouble has somewhat stunted his growth. To this point, perhaps Gibson’s greatest challenge has been helping Robinson decrease his foul rate.
During the 2018-19 campaign, the young big man ranked sixth in the NBA with 5.7 fouls per 36 minutes. This season, through 51 games, Robinson ranks eighth in the league with a slightly reduced 5.3 fouls per 36 minutes. Although the reduction seems modest, consider that since Dec. 1 Robinson’s minutes have been trending upward and he has maintained his average of about 3.2 fouls per game. As a result, his per-36-minute foul rate has decreased to 4.8 — a marked improvement from where he was a year ago. It still leaves a lot to be desired, but at a minimum, there is progress on that front. Mitchell proactively credits Gibson for that progress, even as Gibson draws jabs from his younger teammates for some of his “old” tricks, one of which is the almighty pump fake.
“He’s like the pump fake king,” Robinson said of Gibson. “When I first met Taj, that’s all he used to do, but as the time and the season started going along, I started to sit down on it. He helped me with that, and now, I translate that to the game. Now, you rarely see me jump on a pump fake. He helped me a lot with that.”
For Gibson, helping — as it turns out — was part of the allure of signing with the Knicks in the first place. Sure, the (partially guaranteed) two-year, $20 million contract he received from the club couldn’t have hurt, but Gibson’s decision to sign with the Knicks last summer was about more than just the money. Born and raised in Brooklyn, he spent much of his childhood in Fort Greene’s Ingersoll housing projects. Coming of age in the 1990s, he actually remembers when the Knicks were cool. That’s a part of the reason why he ended up with the Knicks, despite reportedly drawing interest from as many as eight teams ahead of the commencement of last year’s free agency period.
But as the club looks ahead to installing a new president, it is again transitioning. It’s easy to wonder whether the faces that are around this season will be here next, and Gibson hopes his return to New York is not one-and-done.
“That’s what I’m trying to do. I just try to help everybody the best way I can,” Gibson said. “I’ve seen a lot of stuff — a lot of ups and downs — and I want guys to take advantage of their opportunity. I don’t want them to go out there and have any regrets at the end of the night or even at the end of the year, because in the NBA, things come and go fast.”
Gibson has somewhat surprisingly emerged as the team’s starting center and is averaging career-low numbers across the board. But it’s his ability to still be effective and provide value that gives him credibility.
“As a young player, you wanna stay in this league. You wanna stay in this league for years and establish yourself, and that’s what he did,” Ntilikina said. “I mean, he’s something.”
A student of Tom Thibodeau, Gibson’s competitive fire still burns, and it’s contagious, even after 789 career games.
“Having Taj around, he’s been here for 11 years … He’s very experienced, he’s been through a lot since he’s been in the league,” Robinson said. “He’s also growing and learning still, ’cause the game is changing, but he knows pretty much everything there is to know, so just having him around for that knowledge is great.”
It’s been great for Taj, too.
“It’s a lot of joy being a Knick,” Gibson said before citing the glee he’s gotten from rubbing shoulders with his childhood heroes. “I understand how hard it is to win in this league and win big. The ultimate goal is to leave my mark and help (the team) continue to grow.”
In the NBA, winning is no accident. Chemistry, wisdom and those who lead by example can help take a team further than the value of each of its individual pieces may suggest. Every team needs leadership. Every team needs a Taj Gibson.
As the Knicks begin the final stretch of a disappointing 2019-20 season, all things considered, they’re at least fortunate to have that.

mafra

Legend
I think if Knicks target Freddy VF and Joe Harris in free agency... they?ll surround RJ and Randle with some shooting, thus providing space for both forwards.

VanFleet
Harris
RJ
Randle
MRob

Knits, Knox, Taj, lottery pick off the bench. Josh Jackson is another lottery flier we might roll the dice on. Plus late first and early second rounder, Wooten, Dotson (possibly).

Could even bring back MM and have RJ or Randle coming off bench.